Agnostic.com

47 2

Fantasy or Sci-Fi

Which genre in fiction do you like better fantasy or Syfy.

Animegamer 3 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

SciFi

godef Level 7 July 29, 2018

Sci-fi, the hardcore stuff that doesn't violate the laws of physics.

Although I have to admit that Terry Pratchett is one of my favorite authors.

I like science fiction better, it tends to be more hopeful and it tends to be more of what the future could be. Star Trek is my vision of what I hope the future will eventually be

Depends what mood I'm in. 🙂

Betty Level 8 July 29, 2018

It's a tie

Both in one series. Pierce Anthony - Juxtaposition. Two worlds, one magic and one science. Same people in both. You die in one world then your other self in other world has access to both. Blue Adept was the second book. It's about a science guy finding a door to a magic world. His magic self who died was a wizard, the Blue Adept, which he becomes when he goes there. Of course he can go back to the science world too.

Piers Anthony wrote a lot of innovative series that were a combination of genres but eventually hacked out with the devolution of the Xanth series into a reader - centric punfest. The kirlian aura series, describing how different alien species had sex, among other things, still stands out.

@zeuser I read the kirlian aura series too. I really enjoyed his writing.

"Hard" science fiction.

Why not both?

Definitely hard sci-fi for me. I have a general rule about books: if the cover art includes a dragon, a person holding a glowing/magical object, or a wizard/elf/troll/etc., I'm not going to be interested.

What she said..

Both. But if I had to choose one it would be scifi.

Me too 🙂

Sci-fi. Fantasy is just too unbelievable.

Fantasy can be a welcome distraction. When stress and worry get to be a little too much then the silliness of a fantasy is a welcome change. 🙂

Mostly Fantasy. But, I'll watch Sci-Fi too. So, basically both.

They are both escapism, I don’t mind either. But I prefer the very best of them. I’ll read the Lord of the Rings with pleasure, but have a limited tolerance for pulp.

Denker Level 7 July 31, 2018

It would be a photo finish!

BillF Level 7 July 30, 2018

Both.

ME too.

@JanGarber ??

I like both but Sci-fi gets my vote 🙂

ipdg77 Level 8 July 30, 2018

Sci Fi is better, I think because it has no boundaries. Fantasy has some pretty strict boundaries: magic, dragons, swords, etc.

It depends, but in general I'd say sci-fi. It has to be good science fiction, though — something that challenges my world view, my assumptions about humanity or society, my concept of what's possible, etc. That's probably my requirement of any fiction, though, including fantasy, but I hold science fiction to a higher standard, I suppose. Where fantasy can just fall back on magic or any flimsy plot device to explain something, science fiction needs to explain things in terms of what we think we know of the universe and the natural laws, so it necessarily must tether itself to us more directly, and that gives us something familiar enough to place ourselves into moral dilemmas and to imagine possibilities that could apply to us, where fantasy might feel far enough removed that it reflects little or none of our life and society. With that said, I quite enjoy some fantasy, like The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia. I read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (first and second series) when I was young, and I quite enjoyed that — and it contains a certain grittiness that I think does make us question some aspects of life and what we value.

Sci Fi by a landslide.

Hermit Level 7 July 29, 2018

Sci Fi, but only by a nose.

Sci-fi, but I do enjoy both

Either but I have to be in the mood. Currently listening to old timey syfy. Rip Foster Rides the Gray Planet, loved Deathworld by Harry Harrison. Marion Zimmerman Bradley, Philip Jose Farmer, Edgar Rice Burroughs. Read for coins on Readercoin.

Reading Fantasy and Watching Sci-fi

GOT

Science Fiction.

Gohan Level 7 July 29, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142961
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.