Agnostic.com

16 14

What We All Have in Common

sassygirl3869 9 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

IDIC!

@zeliasgrand From Star Trek, Vulcan philosophy: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations.

@bingst Again the term diversity to apply to one life form? That is not diversity but the opposite of it.

@JackPedigo As far as I know, Vulcans do not apply it to one life form. Anyway, within the context of the real world, are we not applying it only to Earthlings? 😛

@bingst Of course why would we apply it to anything else? Hence the crux of my argument. We are the only life form that is of any importance on this planet!! (wrong)

I don't know why people have a problem getting this, about diversity, really. I got it back in the 60s as a kid watching Star Trek, thanks to Roddenberry

Sorry, I have a problem with that term. One can have too much diversity and cultures can get so watered down they are unrecognizable (what's the phrase - "too many cooks can spoil the broth" ). A long time project of some anthropologists was to find and document indigenous cultures before they were lost. It is also said many languages are going extinct. The Japanese are constantly criticized because they want their culture to stay intact. Never mind the fact it is close in size (smaller) to California with some 180+ million people (39 million in California). When it comes to people we can never be dense enough.

One pet peeve of mine is,: why are we so quick to call other non-native species "invasive" but would never think of applying that to our own species? I see that this extreme arrogance and anthropocentrism will eventually be our undoing!!

We all come from a galaxy far, far away

Star dust!

what we don't have in common is just pigment

99.9% of our DNA is common.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 14, 2018

We are all members in one family of one species.

Sensory stimulation is like a hidden language we all long for.

So wonderfully true, so desperately needed. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Jan 15, 2018

Yay Diversity! It's not always easy, because to presses us to be open to learning about difference. That scares a lot of people and leads to backlash--witness the Trump phenomenon on the heels of Obama's historic presidency. But that is the very thing that makes a society richer; stronger. And this applies to most developed countries anymore. The world is getting smaller, and that's a good thing.

Staying alive?

We're all humans. Besides that ? We're all on this site. Besides that ? We're more progressive in our thinking than many out there. Besides that ? We find asking questions , and sharing thoughts, not to be threatening !

We have a brain and are supposed to be able to use a sense of reason to sort out issues that we need to survive and thrive. Unfortunately, that has been taking a backseat to our other commonality, emotion!

Diversity is LIFE!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15318
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.