Agnostic.com

36 5

What is good for your soul?

While I don't believe we have a metaphysical soul that ascends or descends to a mystical place after we die, I do feel like there are certain that that always lift me up, and a few that unfailingly get me down; basically things that resonate with my core being.

So, what is good for your soul?

From a favorite Oingo Boingo song:

'Have you ever been in love with someone you hardly knew, whereas everytime you closed your eyes you saw this person come alive, it kept you wide awake at night, you felt like you were burning up, it made you want to scream, and then you passed out in a dream. Just once or twice is good for your soul.'

BoingoOingo42 7 Aug 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What is good for my basic being are a number of things: reflection, analysis and synthesis of information, the act of creating something of real value for others, doing something to help or be kind to others, emotional closeness with others.

Sex and music!

I love hiking to alpine lakes surrounded by white glaciers and jagged mountain peaks. After dark, I look up and feel awed by the glowing Milky Way and billions of sparkling stars. We all need more low-level ecstasy in our lives.

Hiking is a transcendent, uplifting experience for me. I feel most happy and centered high in the mountains.

Looks awesome!

Gem Lake, near Estes Park in RMNP. Taken with iPhone.

Hiking at The Snowy Range in Wyoming. About 12,000 ft.

Being out in the world

like to live in those pics

Walking barefoot on the Earth, feeling the grass on your feet and the sand between your toes at the beach.

Feel good music, I’ve been told
Is good for your body, and good for your soul.

In short: funk and soul music. Also soul food. I do struggle with what to call the concept of “soul” as a secularist. I’ve always been described as an old soul and my characteristics usually agree but what does that mean? That I’m more mature than most my age maybe? That’s the only realistic term I can put to it but it seems to go beyond that. I’m more mature than a lot of guys twice my age for that matter. Yet I’m certainly immature at times in some ways, but still I feel I have a universally classical nature about me and most people who know me seem to agree. I’ve also got a very placid “aura” but for all practical purposes that just means I’m chill enough that I chill out those around me. Who the hell knows if there’s anything metaphysical at work that science hasn’t quite proven, but I’m skeptical of most new age interpretations of all this.

In music it’s very important and evident when you’re putting soul into something, but it’s hard to describe what that realistically means now that I don’t believe in a metaphysical identity that goes on existing. I guess like you said, that it’s coming from deep within you, a place that authentically rings with your core being or true essence. Science may one day determine that there is some essence of energy in us that amounts to a soul of sorts, but it’s got nothing to do with carrying your consciousness intact to the afterlife or to new lives, of that much Im fairly certain.

Good answer, great group, excellent NOLA sound with the classic hitched up beat. Nice. 🤓

Good blues, preferably live. A quiet walk in the woods. A bike ride along the coast with the sun at my back or behind the mountain, yet shining on the water.

My Dan is good for me.We met here and fell in love. Spending the rest of our lives together.

Music, being in nature, connecting intellectually, reading a book or seeing a movie that is great and talking about it with someone.

What soul?

pancakes.

I'm sure there are, or will be, some very well crafted answers, there usually are, but I would start with coffee, chocolate and/or doughnuts and go from there 🙂

Red wine and sunshine.

Books, crocheting, yarn, the hot sun on my bare skin, love, touch, music.

Coffee, music, and good friends!

Soul being a metaphor for oneself..... what's good for me? Mostly learning and gets better if there is coffee and music involved. Also the adventure to discover when traveling to whatever place. It can be two blocks away or the end of the world. Opportunities are there, but you have to go to let them find you

You need to change your screen name to refkect this excellent answer!

@AnneWimsey thanks but respectfully disagree, the answer would've been the same regardless of my name ??

@IamNobody my point exactly....your chosen name does not really reflect who you are, and in fact is a put-down of you, by you, which is never a good idea!

@AnneWimsey well, I am always up for a good challenge. If my name is deceiving then I just need to work twice as hard, which I am not affraid to do. I don't know, started as a joke but it does have grown on me, too late to change. I am kind of attached to it. I may file for a trade mark !! ?

When everything is all chopped up, right before it's time to cook and assemble, always makes me feel a lot better. Like this posole, deconstructed. Time to start cooking!

Sailing.

skado Level 9 Aug 15, 2018

As an atheist, I don't believe I have a soul. I do, however, have emotions which affect my brain, which can lead to happiness, sadness, anger, frustration, etc. There are many different things that affect my emotions. I assume by your question you're essentially asking "what makes you happy?" And if that's the case, there are many things - my cats, who I've had for 18 years and are the loves of my life; good music; favorite movies; favorite food; great books; great art. Sometimes things that make me melancholy can also help me feel happy, as strange as that may seem. If I listen to, watch or read something that moves me to tears, makes me think, makes me feel and/or reconsider a perspective that I thought was set in stone, that makes me feel happy. I like to feel, to reconsider, to have my perspectives changed. Maybe not all the time, since I can't live on an emotional rollercoaster every minute of the day. But I think we all need a little of that in our lives to keep things interesting, and that makes me happy.

I try to avoid people who believe in souls. That helps a lot.

A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl.

Blues, gardening, aquavit, the sea and salty air.

I don't have but if i did then Carp Fishing is good for my "soul", lol

Friends and family....the rest it noise and distraction for me...some good some bad bit people are my thing

Not music, for damn sure. Beer.

i understand your definition of soul, but i view it a little bit as i view the redefinition of god as a vague appreciation of nature: that word is already in use and has a powerful definition that is hard to transcend. so i will try to answer but with the caveat that i do (however gently) object to this use of it in the context of an agnostic site 🙂)

so what resonates with me? so many things, most of them musical, notably the grateful dead's live dead album. but so much more.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:155893
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.