Agnostic.com

303 242

There is no agnostic vs. atheist! The peeve I have...

Dear friends,

This is my first real rant... breaking out that soap box.

Agnostic has broadened my world and introduced so many lovely people into my life that I deeply enjoy the company of. Our conversations are sometimes fun and lighthearted, other times intense and intellectual. I've learned many things from this community and the people in it.

That said, there is this tired old debate. One where agnostics and atheists can't seem to agree on definitions for the words. I'm not going to sit here and post telling all of you that people misunderstand and they need to be taught! That is so demeaning and presumptuous when people do that. It's preaching and coaching rather than talking to someone like a peer. I respect all of you as peers and fellow critical thinkers, so...

I can tell you my own interpretation based on the digging that I've done. I won't ask you to agree with it. All I ask is you do what you already do, think critically. Be open minded. And, most of you are pretty cool and respectful peeps, so I don't think I need to say it-- but there is always one person that needs the reminder. So, here it is! Please play nice. ; )

Disclaimer: if you want to call yourself an agnostic, atheist, agnostic atheist-- whatever, it's your choice based on what fits you most comfortably. The term you choose for yourself is what matters more than my interpretation of the words.

Ah, so for almost 20 years, I've said I was an atheist. After joining agnostic, someone ranted about atheism and agnosticism being mutually exclusive. That someone made me re-evaluate my own thinking. I started digging into the words a little more... and then I started questioning my own bias.

Was I calling myself atheist, because I rejected the dogma of religion (which on an emotional level really pisses me off)? When I thought about it, I could only reject certain gods. Because there was not only no proof of these gods, the evidence was stacked against the holy books these gods are defined in.

1. I absolutely do not believe the Abrahamic god as portrayed in the bible or similar holy texts is real. These holy texts disprove themselves with contradictions and inaccuracies.

2. I do not reject the idea of the possibility of a creator of some sort. I do not believe it. But, I do not disbelieve it.

3. My beliefs and disbeliefs are based on facts and evidence. I will shift beliefs regardless of my feelings, if the facts and evidence align.

*When I looked into the terms atheist and agnostic here is the defining difference😘

Definition of atheism
1 a : a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods
b : a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

Definition of agnostic
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (such as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

*The difference between the two, per Merriam-Webster (and I agree with this interpretation, which is why I regularly quote it)😘

Many people are interested in distinguishing between the words agnostic and atheist. The difference is quite simple: atheist refers to someone who believes that there is no god (or gods), and agnostic refers to someone who doesn’t know whether there is a god, or even if such a thing is knowable. This distinction can be troublesome to remember, but examining the origins of the two words can help.

Agnostic first appeared in 1869, (possibly coined by the English biologist Thomas Henry Huxley), and was formed from the Greek agn?stos (meaning "unknown, unknowable" ). Atheist came to English from the French athéisme. Although both words share a prefix (which is probably the source of much of the confusion) the main body of each word is quite different. Agnostic shares part of its history with words such as prognosticate and prognosis, words which have something to do with knowledge or knowing something. Atheist shares roots with words such as theology and theism, which generally have something to do with God.

Depending on your interpretation, I could be defined as an atheist or an agnostic. Atheist if we're talking ONLY about the Abrahamic god. But, why was I defining myself as if Christianity was the anchor of the definition?

In broad strokes, I realized agnostic fits better for me. I don't know if a god or creator exists. And, if I have to label myself, I prefer to think in general.

Some people call themselves agnostic atheists. Per wiki, one of the earliest definitions of agnostic atheism is that of Robert Flint, in his Croall Lecture of 1887–1888 (published in 1903 under the title Agnosticism).

I understand the intent behind the conjoined term, but in my mind these two concepts contradict. How can you both not believe (disbelieve) and claim unknowability? Why have both terms at all, aren't you just agnostic if you require evidence?

But, I suppose it comes from the desire to say, I disbelieve until someone proves otherwise. Which, I do get. But, agnostics don't believe anything without evidence either. So, I don't feel the need to put the terms together. Though, I don't find I need to argue with people who do want to put them together. It does make it's point, which is the whole purpose of labels to begin with. So, OK.

ah, semantics

To sum this up, in my opinion there is no perfect term, label, or word for me. I use labels as a general means to find things that interest me under these headings and to connect with people who generally share my viewpoint-- or at least share the desire to reject dogma and examine things critically.

This rant is only because I've seen several people try to "educate" others on the definitions. To tell everyone they are wrong and have a misconception. This has long been debated and really, to what end? There isn't a good conclusive resource to say side A is right and side B is wrong, so why keep bringing it up? To educate people without a strong source to reference is against the very concept of freethinking. It's better to say "my opinion is..." or "my interpretation is..." and even myself, I cannot claim that I am right and others are wrong. There is no really good corroboration for either side here. Our sources don't even really agree.

Truth be told, I hate labels anyway. I don't feel the need to have a specific tattoo of either agnostic or atheist. Those of you who know me get the gist of what I do and don't believe. I hate dogmatic thinking-- that's the end game.

Fuck the labels. If you don't like dogma, you are my people, my tribe, and I'm good with whatever definition you want to use.

Seriously, call yourself whatever you want, friends.

If you read to the end, thank you for hearing me out. This is the longest blurb I've written. I will now step off my soap box.

With ❤

Silvereyes

silvereyes 8 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

303 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't believe in unicorns, fairies, demons, leprechauns, angels or gods because my critical faculties tell me there is no evidence of them. They are simply the figment of our fertile imagination. I don't feel the need, nor am i required by others, to disprove unicorns or call myself a non-unicornist. So why God? This i believe is where evidence in itself is not the most important criteria in religious belief. It is the physcology of religion that creates the dilemma. The feeling of superiority our intelligence affords us that leads to expectations that we would not allow for any other species i.e. that we should continue to live on in some form. That this paltry life should not be all we are due. Our inability to deal with loss of loved ones and the desire to meet them again on some plane. Most of us can readily accept that there is no doggy, or cat or horsey etc heaven and that we will never see our favorite pet again but to never again meet our mother, sister, brother ... it's not religion per se but some believe in ghosts to alleviate this sense of loss. Man created god in his own image to fufil a function and to fully understand the religious we must recognise this in order to understand that evidence in itself is not the basis of belief. Organised religion is an exercise in deliberate self-delusion. The most interesting aspect of this, for mr at least, is not 'does god exist?' but 'why does god exist?'

Unless you actually believe in some god, you are an atheist. If you think that you know that there are no gods, then you are a gnostic atheist. If you don't claim to know for sure, then you are an agnostic atheist. If you believe in a god but are willing to admit you may be wrong, then you are an agnostic theist. If you claim to know that there is a god, then you are a gnostic theist. Theism is about belief in a god or gods; gnosticism is about knowledge.

I am an atheist, not because I say there are no gods, but because I haven't seen a good reason (evidence) to believe in a god or gods. Atheism is simply the lack of belief.

Darling, I agree with you 100%. I'm personally agnostic. I can't say there's something there or not. I, personally, almost had my heart fail while having a csection and something stopped it before the paddles were brought in. There was no medical intervention. I can't say what happened, but I'm not going to full on dive into religion that is a giant hypocrisy. The only thing I have ever disliked about the atheist community has been the belittling and shaming of those who do believe. Especially if that person has been polite enough to not impose their views. I hate it when Christians do it too, but I've met more than my share of atheists that have been giant dicks about it.

Concerning the belittling and shaming, I met an athiest like that a few years ago. This guy was a real asshole. He behaved just like a fundamentalust christian telling everyone that they're going to hell. I just told him not to become the thing he hates.

Dogma is hard to irradicate - even among the non-religious.

Cheri Level 5 May 23, 2018

@TheMiddleWay But this site could make a difference to how people see them selves, could it not? It will not proselytise people into Humanism and I hope that I am not seen in this way ,but we need to paint similar banners for our demonstrations do we not? Remember Atheist IS the most hated word in the American public is it not. It is also the easiest to define but a lot of people add a lot more baggage to further their own (twisted?)causes.

Thank you for a well considered and wonderfully written post! ☺
It is amazing how slippery semantics can become; how can we ever get discourse without dischord when we (as a species), are never on the same page? ?

That is why posts like yours are so lovely

"In theory I am an agnostic, but pending the appearance of rational evidence, I must be classed, practically and provisionally, as an atheist." H. P. Lovecraft
Read more at: [brainyquote.com]

I got half way through that and decided to wait for the movie. 🙂

Hi! I'm new here. Love what I am seeing so far. Silvereyes, this post is amazing. If I HAD to define myself....and I don't.....I would say I am an atheist-leaning agnostic. To me this means I don't believe we can know if there is a god or not, but I tend to think not.

The whole issue of the technical distinction between the two words gives me a headache! I've come to have disdain the word Agnostic because I feel it has a connotation of being unsure or confused, which I certainly am not. However, I hesitate to use the word Atheist in some company as a practical matter, because I am aware of the great amount of ignorance that exists. But think about it: if you were to discover that a god exists then so what! That would not make the Bible or any existing religion true. There would still be no dogma or doctrine to follow other than what you have already devised for yourself. And the universe would still be the same indifferent mix of beauty, joy, pitiless extermination, and cruel suffering that it is now. NOTHING WOULD NECESSARILY CHANGE.

Why does everybody but me just automatically assume that "God" or "Allah" is a meaningful word? Unless you can show that it is a meaningful word, you can't use it meaningfully in a sentence either to say "God exists", "God doesn't exist" or "God may or may not exist".

"blurb". Hahaha!

Coincidentally...I have just watched this YouTuber, Rationality Rules, addressing David Mitchell's insistence that he is not an atheist - while claiming to be, the more rational, agnostic. David Mitchell is a very well known UK comedian. The YouTuber, Rationality Rules, is unknown to me until this video popped into my recommended list as I was browsing for funny David Mitchell skits. But Rationality Rules argued his case well.

Jump to about 4min and 25secs in this video:

Rationality Rules rationalises that:
"Theism and Atheism address what you believe. Gnosticism and Agnosticism address what you assert to know."

He makes an example addressing David Mitchell directly: "...If I ask you if you believe in a god, and your answer is 'no', then you're an Atheist. And if you answered 'I don't know', then you haven't answered the question. Either you believe or do not believe. That is, either you're a theist or an atheist. And how certain you are in your belief, that is: how Gnostic or Agnostic you are, is a completely different question. And so since you don't believe in a god or gods, you are an Atheist..."

From his rationale, Atheism and Agnosticism are mutually INCLUSIVE because I can be any of these:
a: a non-believer because there's no proof yet of existence of a god - an Agnostic Atheist
b: a non-believer because I know there's no proof - a Gnostic Atheist
c: a believer because there's no proof yet of non-existence of a god - an Agnostic Theist
d: a believer because I know there's proof of a god. (I hear his voice every morning.) - a Gnostic Theist

Theism/atheism is an answer to "Do you believe?" And Gnosticism/Agnosticism is an answer to "How certain are you of that belief?"

Just another bee in the bonnet.

I have shown above that all three, theism, atheism, and agnosticism are irrational because they require the belief that "God" is a meaningful word, and there is no reason to believe it is.

@EdwinMcCravy Good point!

I watched a lot of debates on Youtube around definitions etc, There seems to be this need to try and trip someone up regarding a meaning or definition so that they can do the 'A-ha!' and sweep away everything you believe in. What is promoted as intelligent discourse turns out to be intellectual mumbo-jumbo that leaves everybody tied up in knots! For me it's quite simple. I see no evidence to believe in the existence of a god or gods and so don't and you are welcome to define any label you like for me, I couldn't care less 🙂

I do not think what you wrote was a rant, I think it was a very well thought out opinion!

I do not agree 100% with what you said, but I like that you said it, and it makes me happy that people like you - who can form well-rounded opinions - exist on this planet!

I did read to the end, and do not consider what you wrote a "blurb"... I think it is mostly awesome!

Good article, but it's simple. Agnostic means "I don't know." Atheist means no belief in gods. An agnostic could be searching for a god to believe in, but could just mature and be "without a deity."

Agnosticism requires the belief that the capitalized word "God", when uttered or written by a theist, refers to something that may or may not exist. Where is any evidence that it does? I agree fully that "God" and "Allah"
are BELIEVED by atheists to refer to a nonexistent god, but I have yet to see any evidence that they actually do. "Allah" and "God" are NOT like "unicorn" which refers to a nonexistent animal. I keep asking where is your evidence, and I'll probably get thrown out for asking it so much. But if I do get thrown out, it'll just show that nobody has evidence that "God" or "Allah" refers to anything, existent or nonexistent, and are angry at someone like me who claims that it is the belief that "God" and "Allah" are coherently defined words, that is irrational.

The best we can hope for is to understand or at least tolerate other people's philosophies. And it's not such a bad thing to hope for.

It's funny, in my brief time on this site, my awareness has also been broadened, but I've come to the opposite conclusion as you, @silvereyes. I have considered myself to be an atheist, but this site has shown me that I am an agnostic atheist. I don't know if there is/are (a) god(s), but until solid evidence is presented, l choose to believe god(s) do(es) not exist.

It is precisely because the two words are so different in meaning that I find them to not be mutually exclusive. And l will admit l was quite surprised to learn this about myself.

And while I agree that saying fuck the labels and get to know the person is a great attitude, labels are unavoidable. And given that, l feel that we should do our best to use them as valid descriptors of ourselves, just not as end all, be all definitions.

Thanks for such a thoughtful post. 🙂

Agreed. Isn't language fascinating?

I find the Atheism= belief and Agnostic= knowledge definitions to be very useful to me. I define myself as an agnostic atheist. I don't claim to know but I don't believe there is any god. (And I do broaden mine to all gods)

I usually just say "Atheist". But when someone wants to challenge me the most common objection is "how can you know" That's when I explain that knowing is not what I'm claiming.

All that being said, I don't care what definitions are being used. I just define my terms when speaking to others so we're all on the same page.

Nice post,

I have to keep stating on here that I am a believer, just to distinguish myself from those other labels,and thats what they are,labels.Agnostic,athiest or believer are just stereotypes and do not really cover all the range of beliefs and views any individual can have....which also change as we move through life.

I am not at all religious in that and I too do not think the three Abrahamic religions have any real understanding of God,though some sects in each faith do seek a deeper,more universal, self enlightening spiritual understanding. Gnostics(Christian),Kabbalists (Jewish)and Sufis(Muslim).

Add these to the Bhuddist,Hindu,Taoist,Confucius and even Ancient Greek teachings and you have a common theme,..The Golden rule....the "do unto others" bit.But that is religion for those who can't be bothered with really making an effort about what God may be.

I find agnostics(and many atheists) think about god even more than religious people ,who just turn up at church/synagogue/mosque and do no more than lip service,or worse ,totally ignore what their religion teaches.Having been to see the Vatican I can say that hypocracy knows no better example.Why would any church of god require such flashy shows of treasures and works of art,didn't Jesus throw the money changers from the house of god,what would he do of he should enter the Vatican today?Does the Vatican need to be running a bank?Ok I am wandering off topic....

To me we are all divine it's quite simple ,yes even the atheists!. I see Agnostics are just half way to realising that,but be careful, you might end up tipping into my world view!

But seriouslly once you dive in, the water is lovely.

In any community there is always a contest to out zealot one another. It's the same among non-believers. My twin brother was what I would call an anti-religious bigot with a chip on his shoulder not only toward religion, but religious people themselves. He considered moderate athiests and agnostics to be some lower form of non-believer and called it another form of hypocrisy. After his suicide on 2014 I began to come to terms with my own prejudices. As Socrates so aptly put it, "I know that I know nothing."

I do consider myself an agnostic atheist. I've gone over this in detail on a few other posts on this site, but what I would like to bring up here is that I proudly sport the label "atheist" for a few reasons. One, the fact that it seems to be this "branch" of the spectrum that is the most active in opposing religious encroachment of many of our rights. Two, that "agnostic" on its own seems wishy-washy unless one is really on the fence about the god question. Do you believe there is a creator god or not? If not, you're an atheist. What type or brand of atheist, & the level of commitment can now be added as modifiers. Three, I want to see the term "atheist" used as often as possible in order to have familiarity actually lessen the "contempt" & misunderstanding that that term carries in our society. As it stands, being honest on this subject in this country virtually guarantees that one will not win an elected office, especially any higher elected office. The more the term "atheist" becomes an accepted thing, the sooner we shall stop being seen as untouchables or pariahs.
There has been a good discussion on this here, so I thank silvereyes for the original post. This same question, or variants of it are floating around on this site in various places. It's always good to get different input, either for new information & outlooks, or to help one refine one's own thoughts & opinions.
I'm glad I found this site, even if I still haven't scored a date!!!

@silvereyes Another way to say it.

If you guys and gals would only look through your heads and try hard to come up with a concept that you can believe that Christians, Jews and Muslims believe is labeled "a concept of God", you would realize that you can't! "God" is meaningless, and that destroys theism, atheism, and agnosticism. But for some reason, you just can't stand to admit to yourselves that all three stands, theism, atheism and agnosticism are beliefs on faith. That faith is that "God" is a meaningful word, when the truth is that "God" is just as meaningless as "Zab".

@EdwinMcCravy Don't know what you use for definitions, but I totally disagree. there is no 'faith' in atheism. Atheism is that someone says "there is a god!" the atheist says, "prove it", the theist says "I can't", so the atheist states, "then I don't believe it". No faith needed or wanted. It's a lack of belief. 'god' is meaningful as a concept because it carries so much weight in so many societies, but it still doesn't prove the concept is a tangible, actual 'thing'.

@phxbillcee Look, Phxbillcee, use your head, please. If I had said "I can't play the violin", would you say "I disagree"? Of course not! That would be a very dumb thing to say! So when I say "I cannot "imagine God, nor believe you can either", you don't say "I disagree". What you say is "I can imagine God and here is a description of what I am imagining when I imagine God: __ -- and then fill in the blank. That way you will have educated me and then I will be able to imagine God. So educate me as to how to imagine God. Otherwise I can only believe you are like me and can't, but can only fib and say you can when you can't.

Thank you @silvereyes for this post; I very much enjoy how articulate you are, and astutely pointing out some very important things in this whole subject. It was a good read. And educational.

So with that said, I would like your (and others) opinion on the following point. (For clarification, I'll be referring to the Christian god here.) Lack of evidence of god is critical to both atheists and agnostics here, some saying they will hold their stance until such evidence is uncovered, discovered, revealed, whatever... So lack of evidence is critical. Ponder this thought, then read on: what if there was evidence.

Hebrews 11:6 "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."

The import of the verse strongly implies that any evidence that god exists would cause the entire Christian belief to fall like a house of cards. Hence there cannot be any evidence of god. If there was, then god himself would be responsible for undermining the only means of pleasing him and getting rewards. To me, this is an impasse; and a logical flaw in thinking that evidence could exist.

Have I adequately demonstrated that for the Christian god to exist, evidence cannot? No evidence, then no god...

@silvereyes - I didn't think of it that way; yes, it's an out for the faithful, but not well thought out. You can't believe with evidence and please god at the same time.

@silvereyes - Absolutely - your point underlines mine that the whole thing is a house of cards. I was also trying to relate it to those here who would change their position if evidence ever surfaced; those that lean toward agnosticism for that reason.

As we've just discussed, there simply isn't any evidence... Can't be. To me, this weakens the agnostic stance if you're agnostic only for the reason evidence may surface. It's almost like Pascal's wager actually...

I had a melt down from that last debate (a lot to process), and my brain is still a little soft, but I am still comfortable with agnostic. I still take at face value how ever folks want to identify them selves.

@silvereyesYepper🙂

Thank you.

One problem that I have with equating all agnostics to atheists is the stigma it creates. I relate most to my interpretation of an agnostic and don't necessarily consider myself an atheist, some days I may steer more to no God exists; however, for the most part I would hope there are higher order beings who watch us, love us, and protect us. So, I behave in such a way that they do exist, although I know there's a chance there's no afterlife and such because ultimately I don't know. I find no reason to be around any person whom either don't understand, or can care less to understand me. If people assume that all agnostics are atheists, they will assume that I'm an atheist (leaves me with very little room for relationships and a huge space for misconceptions). Consequently, when people see me praying and/ or possess angel ornaments and then proclaim to be an agnostic, they will see me as a walking contradiction and trying to be pretentious,or deceptive. However, I seek something greater than and more eternal than my limited experience stuck on this ball floating in space in retrospect of also thinking there's an infinite number of possibilities for our existential plane in a possible eternal spectrum of time. I haven't met one person though whom understands me. But, to me, it's perfect sense. Therefore, now there are people treating me as if it's all a ploy, and I need medication. I don't fit in with theists or atheists, and I think agnostics are misunderstood in comparison to majority of my studies. In other words, majority of the agnostics and writing about agnostics align with my core beliefs and perceptions of the universe.

After reading some comments and this post, some of you guys succinctly explain most of my thoughts that have never been expressed.

Why do we have to make perfect sense anyway when our senses are limited about things that haven't yet been explored? Yes, on this earth and plane, we have concrete physical laws, but our physical laws may not be the end all of all. I don't speak to convince or sway. I speak for inspiration and for understanding and for recognition of the numerous ways of viewing life as we know it. I also speak to hopefully meet others who relate or who may be inspired to relate with few words and maybe parables. I don't see anything wrong with feeling something to be possibly true (ultimately you never know - those feelings may be the source of something greater - who knows), as long as we do not enslave others to think and believe as we do. Why do we all have to think the same and believe the same thing. You never know as well that we may each have our own journey outside of our human lives that match our unique imaginations or unique string or unique being, as well as, shared imaginations or shared strings or shared waves. One or some may journey to a realm with one God, or some may journey to a realm so physically different from our own it fancies fantasy (defying all laws of physics as we know it and understand it), or some may even disappear into nothingness. I view the universe as possibilities and nothing of which limits these possibilities. We see limitations due to our limited perceptions and abilities. We are all possible - we're here - what stops anything else to be possible in an infinite and eternal existential plane if such exists?

I understand those who want to only focus on the observable and touchable. It's practical and applicable to our lives here on earth. It feels stifling and smothering to limit someone like myself, though. Of course, if you haven't inferred it yet, I understand that I may be wrong.

Reasons why I am not a theist or atheist and relate more to the ideas of agnosticism. Just because you declare to not know something or something may not be knowable, doesn't mean you can't imagine or hope or sway one's belief one way or the other. You also just know that there's a possibility you may be wrong.

The point is that as an agnostic I see fault in claiming that another's beliefs or ways of viewing the universe are wrong due to the fact it doesn't fit your limited views of the eternal and infinite, because ultimately you yourself may be wrong about something so beyond our limitations of being in our physical plane and beyond our myopic views of all things that are possible to exist --- agnostic thinking.

Think mathematics in terms of permutations and combinations and now think about the permutations and combinations about the eternal and infinite.

In my agnostic thinking, who the F*k knows so to debate and reason about it with our limited and varied capacities defeats the purpose. To add on, the distinction between beliefs and knowledge is ultimately the key as so many have pointed out. An agnostic acknowledges that such things are unknown and may be unknowable as it seems to be agreed upon, but without any restrictions or declarations of beliefs about the unknown. Therefore, it's open ground to believe what you may about the unknown, but realize it's unknown so you may be wrong and then again you may be right. Therefore, an agnostic may have beliefs about a God(s) or anything of the other possibilities, may not believe in such things at all, or doesn't even see the point in thinking about it at all and henceforth that we should remain concrete for it's practical going in the right direction for our survival here on earth not wasting time on the rabbit hole and on things that are possibly wrong; the determining factor is that they realize they may be wrong or they may be right and you may be wrong or you may be right -- who the f@k knows?

I think atheists relate to agnostics, because they hear no God may exist; whereas, an atheist would say - in my way of examining the definitions and dissecting the orientations - no God exist. Two ends of a spectrum saying yes and no; whereas the agnostic says maybe.

My rant only matters to me because of another post where people were trying to say that all agnostics are atheists at the bottom line of things, and this can cause problems and confusion in other people's lives when we think differently no matter how much we try to reason and define and label. In the post, someone's identity of themselves was being questioned based on bias per say (hard to say as well). Otherwise, if we're in different swim lanes, then I remain in my swim lane and hide this swim lane.

@silvereyes I joined this site thinking that I can finally find like-minded individuals to mingle and befriend and be able to discuss openly without lashings and such; however, to my dismay met with the same mindset as theists and atheists.

@silvereyes nothing wrong with any mindset ... just not able to openly express myself

@silvereyes In my agnostic way of thinking, because these things are unknown or may even be unknowable then it works two-fold: to claim something doesn't exist because there's no evidence is just as faulty as claiming something does exist when there's no evidence. This is another reason that I identify as an agnostic. There are very distinct differences, but to truly see (even though we may not know how to fully explain it) these differences is to be an agnostic. An agnostic would see that there was no evidence for microbes, but did that mean it didn't exist. An agnostic recognizes both of these observations. An atheist would, as I would examine it, proclaim that something doesn't exist unless evidence negates otherwise. Moreover, I think atheists relate to agnostics because they don't recognize the other side of the coin; so they think the agnostic thinks the same way as them when they hear unbelief and evidence. So, the atheist takes ownership of this label as well.

@quietStorm more correctly, instead of "maybe" an agnostic would say, "cannot be known."

@johnbogie "cannot be known" implies maybe and maybe implies "I don't really know" ... Error as I see it: taking definitions so literal instead of truly understanding the intuitive rooted meaning, which is another fault (only through my lens) I find with many interpretations (i.e. during bible studies or studies in general). If something is unknown, and if someone conjectures about the unknown, then I would think well maybe it's true or maybe it's false b/c it's unknown. Awareness and the ego also comes to mind, in reference to the phrase "can't see the forest for the trees" and vice versa, the ego is only able to comprehend and relate to self and so for only that which is within it's own viewport or awareness. Anything outside of self is as if it doesn't exists or even perplexing to understand or to relate. However, one who understands that the unknown doesn't necessarily equate to nonexistence, also understands, there's the likelihood (maybe) of anything being true or anything being false. In other words, take for instance any game of chance like hiding a pebble in one hand and asking a bystander to choose the hand containing the pebble, it's unknown to the bystander which hand holds the pebble. The right hand may have the pebble or it may not. The left hand may have the pebble or it may not. Either hands may not have the pebble.

Infinity also creeps in the gene pool of living creatures (or any element for that matter) due to mutation, external stimuli, and whatever else left out of the equation. Therefore, what may be true today, may as very well be false tomorrow (figuratively). More or less, to rely only on our own knowledge, understanding, strict and rigid definitions (excluding the hidden and the unknown) and symbols, and myopic thinking and viewpoints is like walking around with blinders on in the context of the eternal and elusive universe of things. It's like bondage. If it weren't for the curious and the wanderers, those who seek the unknown, then we would probably still walk around with blinders so to speak in regards to discoveries so far.

Separated by a common language.....

Theist - claims that a god or gods exist
Atheist - does not believe the claim that a god exists
Anti-theist - believes that no god exists or can exist

These are claims about belief.

Gnostic (theist or atheist) claims to KNOW that a god does or does not exist.
Agnostic understands that we cannot know whether a god is possible or not without evidence.

These are claims about knowledge.

Theism and gnosticism are different prongs of the same question, theism is a claim of belief, gnosticism relates to knowledge which is a subset of belief.

Personally, I call myself an atheist. I do not believe the claims of theists and I see no evidence that any gods do or could exist. Do I know that in any circumstance in any universe that it is impossible for a god/s to exist? No, so in the strictest sense I am an agnostic atheist in that I do not believe any god/s exist, but I know that the null hypothesis is impossible to prove.

And just to clarify, I am referring to all gods.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16850
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.