Agnostic.com

303 242

There is no agnostic vs. atheist! The peeve I have...

Dear friends,

This is my first real rant... breaking out that soap box.

Agnostic has broadened my world and introduced so many lovely people into my life that I deeply enjoy the company of. Our conversations are sometimes fun and lighthearted, other times intense and intellectual. I've learned many things from this community and the people in it.

That said, there is this tired old debate. One where agnostics and atheists can't seem to agree on definitions for the words. I'm not going to sit here and post telling all of you that people misunderstand and they need to be taught! That is so demeaning and presumptuous when people do that. It's preaching and coaching rather than talking to someone like a peer. I respect all of you as peers and fellow critical thinkers, so...

I can tell you my own interpretation based on the digging that I've done. I won't ask you to agree with it. All I ask is you do what you already do, think critically. Be open minded. And, most of you are pretty cool and respectful peeps, so I don't think I need to say it-- but there is always one person that needs the reminder. So, here it is! Please play nice. ; )

Disclaimer: if you want to call yourself an agnostic, atheist, agnostic atheist-- whatever, it's your choice based on what fits you most comfortably. The term you choose for yourself is what matters more than my interpretation of the words.

Ah, so for almost 20 years, I've said I was an atheist. After joining agnostic, someone ranted about atheism and agnosticism being mutually exclusive. That someone made me re-evaluate my own thinking. I started digging into the words a little more... and then I started questioning my own bias.

Was I calling myself atheist, because I rejected the dogma of religion (which on an emotional level really pisses me off)? When I thought about it, I could only reject certain gods. Because there was not only no proof of these gods, the evidence was stacked against the holy books these gods are defined in.

1. I absolutely do not believe the Abrahamic god as portrayed in the bible or similar holy texts is real. These holy texts disprove themselves with contradictions and inaccuracies.

2. I do not reject the idea of the possibility of a creator of some sort. I do not believe it. But, I do not disbelieve it.

3. My beliefs and disbeliefs are based on facts and evidence. I will shift beliefs regardless of my feelings, if the facts and evidence align.

*When I looked into the terms atheist and agnostic here is the defining difference😘

Definition of atheism
1 a : a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods
b : a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

Definition of agnostic
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (such as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

*The difference between the two, per Merriam-Webster (and I agree with this interpretation, which is why I regularly quote it)😘

Many people are interested in distinguishing between the words agnostic and atheist. The difference is quite simple: atheist refers to someone who believes that there is no god (or gods), and agnostic refers to someone who doesn’t know whether there is a god, or even if such a thing is knowable. This distinction can be troublesome to remember, but examining the origins of the two words can help.

Agnostic first appeared in 1869, (possibly coined by the English biologist Thomas Henry Huxley), and was formed from the Greek agn?stos (meaning "unknown, unknowable" ). Atheist came to English from the French athéisme. Although both words share a prefix (which is probably the source of much of the confusion) the main body of each word is quite different. Agnostic shares part of its history with words such as prognosticate and prognosis, words which have something to do with knowledge or knowing something. Atheist shares roots with words such as theology and theism, which generally have something to do with God.

Depending on your interpretation, I could be defined as an atheist or an agnostic. Atheist if we're talking ONLY about the Abrahamic god. But, why was I defining myself as if Christianity was the anchor of the definition?

In broad strokes, I realized agnostic fits better for me. I don't know if a god or creator exists. And, if I have to label myself, I prefer to think in general.

Some people call themselves agnostic atheists. Per wiki, one of the earliest definitions of agnostic atheism is that of Robert Flint, in his Croall Lecture of 1887–1888 (published in 1903 under the title Agnosticism).

I understand the intent behind the conjoined term, but in my mind these two concepts contradict. How can you both not believe (disbelieve) and claim unknowability? Why have both terms at all, aren't you just agnostic if you require evidence?

But, I suppose it comes from the desire to say, I disbelieve until someone proves otherwise. Which, I do get. But, agnostics don't believe anything without evidence either. So, I don't feel the need to put the terms together. Though, I don't find I need to argue with people who do want to put them together. It does make it's point, which is the whole purpose of labels to begin with. So, OK.

ah, semantics

To sum this up, in my opinion there is no perfect term, label, or word for me. I use labels as a general means to find things that interest me under these headings and to connect with people who generally share my viewpoint-- or at least share the desire to reject dogma and examine things critically.

This rant is only because I've seen several people try to "educate" others on the definitions. To tell everyone they are wrong and have a misconception. This has long been debated and really, to what end? There isn't a good conclusive resource to say side A is right and side B is wrong, so why keep bringing it up? To educate people without a strong source to reference is against the very concept of freethinking. It's better to say "my opinion is..." or "my interpretation is..." and even myself, I cannot claim that I am right and others are wrong. There is no really good corroboration for either side here. Our sources don't even really agree.

Truth be told, I hate labels anyway. I don't feel the need to have a specific tattoo of either agnostic or atheist. Those of you who know me get the gist of what I do and don't believe. I hate dogmatic thinking-- that's the end game.

Fuck the labels. If you don't like dogma, you are my people, my tribe, and I'm good with whatever definition you want to use.

Seriously, call yourself whatever you want, friends.

If you read to the end, thank you for hearing me out. This is the longest blurb I've written. I will now step off my soap box.

With ❀

Silvereyes

silvereyes 8 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

303 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"‘Atheism’ is a much simpler concept than ‘Christianity’ or ‘Hinduism’, but the word atheism is still used in a wide variety of ways.

This can cause confusion. Someone may announce that she is an atheist, and her listeners may assume she is one type of atheist, when really she is a different type of atheist.

So to clear things up, here are 17 kinds of atheism, organized into 7 sets. Some kinds of atheism can be combined in a person, and some cannot. For example, it is perfectly consistent to be an agnostic, narrow, friendly atheist. But one cannot simultaneously be both a passive atheist and a militant atheist.

This list is not definitive. There are many ways to organize and label different kinds of atheism.

For brevity’s sake, I have substituted “gods” for the usual phrase “God or gods.”

1. Difference in Knowledge
    A gnostic atheist not only believes there are no gods, he also claims to know there are no gods.

An agnostic atheist doesn’t believe in gods, but doesn’t claim to know there are no gods.

1. Difference in Affirmation
    A negative atheist merely lacks a belief in gods. He is also called a weak atheist or an implicit atheist.

A positive atheist not only lacks a belief in gods, but also affirms that no gods exist. He is also called a strong atheist or an explicit atheist.

1. Difference in Scope
    A broad atheist denies the existence of all gods: Zeus, Thor, Yahweh, Shiva, and so on.

A narrow atheist denies the existence of the traditional Western omni-God who is all-good, all-knowing, and all-powerful.

1. Difference in the Assessed Rationality of Theism
    An unfriendly atheist believes no one is justified in believing that gods exist.

An indifferent atheist doesn’t have a belief on whether or not others are justified in believing that gods exist.

A friendly atheist believes that some theists are justified in believing that gods exist.

1. Difference in Openness
    A closet atheist has not yet revealed his disbelief to most people.

An open atheist has revealed his disbelief to most people.

1. Difference in Action
    A passive atheist doesn’t believe in god but doesn’t try to influence the world in favor of atheism.

An evangelical atheist tries to persuade others to give up theistic belief.

An active atheist labors on behalf of causes that specifically benefit atheists (but not necessarily just atheists). For example, he strives against discrimination toward atheists, or he strives in favor of separation of church and state.

A militant atheist uses violence to promote atheism or destroy religion. (Often, the term “militant atheist” is misapplied to non-violent evangelical atheists like Richard Dawkins. But to preserve the parallel with the “militant Christian” who bombs abortion clinics or the “militant Muslim” suicide bomber, I prefer the definition of “militant atheist” that assumes acts of violence.)

1. Difference in Religiosity
    A religious atheist practices religion but does not believe in gods.

A non-religious atheist does not practice religion.

Of course, there are many more “kinds” of atheism than this, for one may be a Republican atheist or a Democratic atheist, a short atheist or a tall atheist, a Caucasian atheist or an Hispanic atheist, a foundationalist atheist or a coherentist atheist, an enchanted atheist or a disenchanted atheist.

I am an agnostic atheist I think... I completely agree with your statement that my belief or opinion will change with evidence. I try not to be close minded.

Love you - thank you!

To me, these distinctions matter, if at all, philosophically only. For all practical purposes, I am an atheist and I think there is enough rational argument to come to the conclusions that there is no god or creator. This hair-splitting only comes up with religion for some reason. No-one ever discusses whether they are aunicorny or just agnostic about the question if there is pink unicorn revolving around the black hole in the center of our galaxy. We cannot really rule that out so strictly speaking we would have to be agnostic about it. But hell no, I am totally aunicorny in the same way as I am totally atheist. Because the alternatives are just too silly: they explain nothing, they predict nothing, they do not fit into any scientific theory, and they beg to get cut off by Occam's razor.
So, let us cut them off and not waste any more time on them.

The difference for me has always been a belief/knowledge issue. In a technical sense everyone is agnostic, there is no way to fully know anything. Atheists In my opinion do not put forward a a disbelief or a belief that God is not real, just no positive belief that God is real. Your dictionary definition gets confusing because it describes atheists in 2 different ways. At first it's described as a lack of belief or strong disbelief, the later describes atheism as a belief that there is no God. The strong disbelief corresponds with the second definition, but what I think is more valid would be the "lack of belief" statement. I think atheists are "a theists" or without theology. Doesn't mean they believe a theology is wrong, does mean they haven't been convinced it's correct. Like in court, the options are not guilty or innocent, they are guilty or not guilty. That means either, HE DID IT, or THERE IS NOT SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE TO BELIEVE HE DID IT, and the whole time without asserting that he didn't do it.

Silvereyes
I agree with what you say. But you are missing a nuance. Per what you said and what I say below, I am an agnostic Agnostic (or an extreme Agnostic as I say below).

Note: the scales I mention below are informed by Richard Dawkins books.

2 scales. 1) What is knowable - gnostic to agnostic. 2) What do you believe - theist to atheist.

I am an extreme agnostic. Evidence is the only form of knowledge that exists. As such I don't consider the 2nd scale valid*. We have no evidence to support the existence or nonexistence of god(s), supernatural, et cetera. Therefore, the 2nd scale is invalid.

• For science to consider a question, it must be quantifiable or verifiable. God is neither.

Point is, if you are theist or atheist, I consider you insane for the exact same reason. You believe something without evidence.

Does atheism assert a belief though? It may b getting into the strong/weak atheist position, but In my experience the difference between an atheist and a non theist is disbelief. Wile an atheist would say there is no reason to believe that's true, a non theist would say that's not true. And these definitions definitely seem to fit the prefixes more appropriately.

@silvereyes Religious texts are certainly unreasonable. That you can't outright invalidate them seems to be the point. However you can't quantify or verify god/supernatural. If you can't quantify or verify, you can't reasonably expect to ask a question and get a scientific answer.

I ignore the subject(s) of god/religion outside a single premise. Per the Thomas Theorem, 'what is perceived as real is real in its consequences'. In other words god/religion are relevant only because some people take them into account when making important decisions. So it becomes necessary to understand how some people operate without evidence to guide their actions.

@PaulRecomStop Yes theism and atheism explicitly rely on belief in the exact same way. One accepts the truth claim god exists without evidence. The other accepts the truth claim god doesn't exist without evidence.

As stated above I consider both potentially mentally ill because they make and accept a truth claim without evidence. That said I consider the latter the lesser evil as they are less likely to be overtly hostile to someone like me pointing out the obvious fallacy in their argument.

@mymysticcrow I've never met an atheist with the position that God doesn't exist without evidence. I think the appropriate way to word it would be their is no reason to be convinced a god exists without evidence. And with that more reasonable wording I don't see a burden of proof.

@mymysticcrow the difference is, your asserting atheists believe there is no god( the without evidence comment is inconsequential) I'm asserting atheists aren't convinced o f a God. Once again, aheist: prefix "a" root word theist, meaning not theist. Compare to asymmetrical. A hard atheist position, or a non theist position may be asserting no god exists, but I think with your understanding of knowledge vs belief, this could be the only reasonable way to interpret atheism and theism

@mymysticcrow the soft atheist position would be to take no stance on the matter or to say I don't know. The only time I've really seen people confuse this is when the perceive agnosticism with this position, but your not doing that. I'm not sure where your falling off trtack honestly. The important thing to know is that atheists do not have a burden of proof, no claim is being made. Null hypothesis, n vs not n. A God exists, n or not n(appropriate thought process). A God exists, a God does not exist, n vs c(fallacious)

@mymysticcrow and i hate to keep commenting lol but what im saying is almost completely pulled from daekins or dennet.... its really confusing me how youve put this together but still arent perceiving the difference between theist, atheist, nontheist/antitheist/hard atheism. It's sometimes hard for people to understand, but it's an important part of understanding the difference between atheism and agnosticism, and you understand that. I feel like you've stated clearly and correctly the scales you were talking about it missed something while learning them. Let's talk about a different dawkins scale. He makes a scale of atheism from 1 to 7, and calls himself a 6.9 because he won't say there is no god(because that would adopt a burden of proof). And he refers to a 7 as(if I remember right) a non theist. And his time after time stated position, as an atheist, is "there is no reason to believe in a God" and possibly "I live my life with belief in God the same way I live with belief of unicorns or leprechauns or(the example tha explains this whole position) the flying spaghetti monster. The only reason I want to clarify this, is because its a huge point of unjustified judgement, usually from theists, but after you attempting to prove the insanity of a position you misunderstand, may be also from non believers.

@mymysticcrow and i hate to keep commenting lol but what im saying is almost completely pulled from daekins or dennet.... its really confusing me how youve put this together but still arent perceiving the difference between theist, atheist, nontheist/antitheist/hard atheism. It's sometimes hard for people to understand, but it's an important part of understanding the difference between atheism and agnosticism, and you understand that. I feel like you've stated clearly and correctly the scales you were talking about it missed something while learning them. Let's talk about a different dawkins scale. He makes a scale of atheism from 1 to 7, and calls himself a 6.9 because he won't say there is no god(because that would adopt a burden of proof). And he refers to a 7 as(if I remember right) a non theist. And his time after time stated position, as an atheist, is "there is no reason to believe in a God" and possibly "I live my life with belief in God the same way I live with belief of unicorns or leprechauns or(the example tha explains this whole position) the flying spaghetti monster. The only reason I want to clarify this, is because its a huge point of unjustified judgement, usually from theists, but after you attempting to prove the insanity of a position you misunderstand, may be also from non believers.

@PaulRecomStop Very good. You can partially paraphrase Dawkins. Unfortunately you are focusing on the details and missing the big picture.

For Dawkins, the big picture is summarized as the following 2 scales. 1) What is knowable - gnostic to agnostic. 2) What do you believe - theist to atheist.

I am an extreme agnostic. Evidence is the only form of knowledge that exists. As such I don't consider the 2nd scale valid*. We have no evidence to support the existence or nonexistence of god(s), supernatural, et cetera. Therefore, the 2nd scale is invalid.

• For science to consider a question, it must be quantifiable or verifiable. God is neither.

Point is, if you are theist or atheist, I consider you insane for the exact same reason. You believe something without evidence.

@PaulRecomStop I understand your misgivings. You probably define Theist, Agnostic and Atheist differently from me.

I've had people try to insist I'm a number of different terms that don't quite fit. Here's the short list.

Nontheism - read the debates you'll find that this term is so broad that it is almost meaningless. Technically speaking it includes all terms listed below.

Ignosticism - god/supernatural can't be quantified or verified. So I certainly agree that god/supernatural has no clear meaning. But I would go further to specify that the terms are in fact meaningless outside of social science.

Skepticism - I am a science oriented skeptic so this term somewhat fits. But I have misgivings about the empirical requirement of scientific skepticism due to how much we can't verify via sensory data or any tool we've developed thus far to analyse sensory data that we cannot see for ourselves.

Apatheism - god/supernatural can't be quantified or verified. So I am certainly disinterested in debating this subject.

Atheism - As previously states, I reject belief (or lack of belief) without evidence.

Agnostic is the only term that fits without significant qualification(s) or reservation(s).

@mymysticcrow I wanna start this by say in last night when I posted these I was having a rough night at work so please forgive me if I was condescending at all. It was my situation tha caused it, not stones comments and after reading what I said I think I may have been overbearing!

@mymysticcrow earlier you said about atheism, "one accepts a truth claim that God sent exist" and now youve said "atheism-i reject belief or lack belief". The difference is the null hypothesis. A or not a. This is why I don't think they are 2 separate truth claims, rather 2 sides of the same truth claim. When i say I don't believe in a God, I'm saying "not a" to the theists position of "a". Asserting their is no god would be a separate claim, ie b or not b.

Labels are important because they allow us to communicate faster. If we agree on what a label means, we can use it in order to focus on other ideas. I don't have to explain what a car is everytime I mention that I drove to work. On the other hand, labels can be used to corrupt a definition. McCarthy did that with "communist" and Christians do it with "atheist"; since they have corrupted their definition of atheist, I have to either drop the label when talking to them about it, replacing it with my definition, or educate them (everyone) on the definition. I can only do the former for so long. The core of what I want to say here is: labels are inevitable and if we are allowed to connect labels to any particular definition, we are corrupting communication.

So we need to agree on definitions and the labels that replace them in mundane conversation. How do we do that? Ideally, we should assign one label to each definition, and have labels covering different complexity levels of definitions. For instance: employee = is payed to perform some job; manager = employee that assigns tasks to others. Also, we need definitions to be consistent with knowledge and logic and common use.

Now, let us combine these notions and talk about the labels for people who do not believe in any god. One very early mistake you make is this: "I do not reject the idea of the possibility of a creator of some sort. I do not believe it. But, I do not disbelieve it.". Belief, unlike knowledge, is binary: you either do believe or do not believe. You accept a claim or reject it. Take the favorite example of Traci Harris (AXP): if I have a jar of coins in front of me, there are only two options regarding the number of coins in the jar: it's either even or odd; if I say it is odd, you either believe me or do not believe me. When it comes to the knowledge about this claim: it may be known to be true; it may not known to be true; and it may be known to be false. So you cannot apply a single binary term to label this. You need at least two: one to define your belief or lack thereof, and another to define the level of knowledge you have in regards to that belief.

This is where Christians become important again. "Atheist", for them, is anyone who does not believe their god is real. Then, because of their beliefs, assign to atheist all sorts of corrupt behavior. We have two alternatives then:

1. Stop using the label "atheist". We could all call ourselves "agnostic", or anything else. But the moment you disagree about their god, you will be labeled an "atheist" because that is a sufficient condition for applying the label.
  2. Normalize the label. While atheists are a small number of people, they are kept isolated from the larger community, which can then demonize them. But if your coworker, friend, boss, subordinate, are atheists but do not correspond to the label, cognitive dissonance starts ringing and the term must be revised to the common denominator between these people -- disbelief in any god.

Alternative 1 is what folks like Neil deGrasse Tyson take. I think they are doing a disservice to the community in general because (1) it is incorrect to conflate atheist with necessarily making a positive claim that no god exist, and (2) it reinforces the misconception of Christians that atheists are evil. Help your community, let us normalize atheism. To paraphrase X-Men, be atheist and proud 😀

p.s.: shit, that was so much longer than I intended. But that's what you get when labels are off the table. My apologies.

My idea of being an agnostic. Is about protecting the beliefs of all against those who would force their will on others. I believe in science more than any with also the idea of there possibly being some spiritualistic being or beings out there who knows with over 5000 different religions out there. But I want debate. Study. To know and understand all religions and the people under them. The only truth I’ve found is Christianity at its core is evil because of the forcefulness it creates in its followers. So most of my life has been standing up against it for science and other beliefs.

I agree. I don't care what people call me. my opinion is that I don't say That there definately is no god, just that anyone who has tried to present evidence that there is one has failed to produce anything like enough evidence to even cause reasonable doubt. Some would describe me as an athiest others agnostic, or even an agostic athiest. Doesnt matter what you call me as long as people understand the way I think. Also, being an athiest only really says one thing about you anyway, that you don't believe in god. I know athiests who beleive in magic or ghosts. Based on that I prefer the term 'naturalist'. Its not confusing, and it tells people straight away that not only do I not accept there is a god, but I don't accept that there is anything supernatural

@silvereyes I totally agree with you. Do not like labels. Conflicted between atheist and agnostic myself. Freethinker seems to be an umbrella term. I think I'll continue to use freethinker.

i will quote isaac asimov:

“I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually unrespectable to say one was an atheist, because it assumed knowledge that one didn't have. Somehow, it was better to say one was a humanist or an agnostic. I finally decided that I'm a creature of emotion as well as of reason. Emotionally, I am an atheist. I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I so strongly suspect he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time.”

now i will quote myself: i can't be an agnostic because i know that there is no tooth fairy, even though i've had more evidence of a tooth fairy than of a deity of any sort. i am not unsure. i feel sure. i don't think i have to prove to myself that the sidewalk (still) exists (or ever existed) by checking every morning. some things are so ridiculous that we DO know, even without proof, because of that good ol' not being able to prove a negative thing. i can't be an agnostic about every damned thing in the world. logic prevails, logic and observation, and those things tell me there are no gods, not abrahamic, not anything that fits any definition of god. (therefore i also am not "spiritual." ) i like prometheus a lot but nope, he's not real either.

that doesn't mean i think agnostics are fools. that only means i can't be one.

g

You're agnostic whether you like it or not. Period.

@Storm1752 you don't get to tell me who or what i am. period.

g

@genessa i just did. Again. You just think 'atheist' sounds cooler. It SOUNDS ignorant.

@Storm1752 no, you just thought you did. and i don't give a shit about what sounds cool, and you have no clue about why i call myself an atheist, although i thought i explained it fairly well. but if you're going to be disrespectful, then you won't get to call me anything anymore. you are the one who sounds ignorant.

g

It is very simple:

Q1 "Does a god exist?"
A1 "I don't know, I'm agnostic."
Q2 "Do you believe that a god exists?"
A2 "No, I'm an atheist."

No sane atheist would claim to be able to prove the non-existence of a god, hence any sane atheist is also agnostic.

The answer for the first question would be
Define the god you are asking about.
Then show the definition don't make sense, so the question has no meaning.
If I ask if a sgrublesn exists, you would need a definition of it, If i gave a definition that is self contradictory, you would simply say that it makes no sense.
Just because we get used with the god term and it became kind of instinctive to work with the concept, does not avoid that when you think about it, there is no coherent definition of it to start working on the existence question.

No, I'm agnostic. I don't know.

Ahhhh yes, labels and semantics. I don't like either. However, people of influence have made labels "matter". So I have to use the label "atheist" to get people away from asking me silly religious questions.

My understanding was atheist is someone who does not believe and feels they know there are no gods. And that agnostic meant you don't know and don't care to know because it has no bearing on your life.

I chose, long ago, to let that all go. Humans tend to overcomplicate things and this is quite a complex subject. I don't even know what it's called when someone can't deny all gods. I wouldn't even try to guess. My brain hurts enough from all the thinking I do lol.

To each their own I feel. I only say atheist to get my point across and I come to sites like this to speak to like minded individuals. The labels and words themselves are meaningless to me.

Very good post though!

It's probably safe to say we will never know for certain anything in this lifetime anything about the supernatural, that's if it even exists ?

This is still a popular spot to post. You only have to read the "Learn" on our site to see that agnosticism is not mutually exclusive.

The basic difference between the Atheist and Agnostic is:
The Atheist says, there is no Great Bunny Rabbit, period!
The Agnostic says, there is no PROOF of the existence of a Great Bunny Rabbit; and there is no PROOF that there isn't a Great Bunny Rabbit!

This is recycled from the past. Months ago. What's going on here?

Agnosticism is about FACTS - can't verify them.
Atheism is about BELIEF - concluding there aren't enough facts to believe God exists.

I think all atheists are also agnostic, but someone who is agnostic may not be atheist if he/she believes (however unlikely) that God exists.

@JustLynnie you have concluded you don't have enough facts to definitively support the existence of a god, but what do you believe?

It was worth reading to the end❀
I enjoy a well written rant.
-mat

Call me anything you like, just don't call me late for supper ?

In a sense, everyone is agnostic in a way, even religious people because even if they claim to know there is a god they dont. Lol. I'm Athiest because I don't believe there is a god. I'm am a trillion times sure there is no abrahamic god but just like everyone else in the world I don't know if there is a god of some type or not. I just believe there isn't any type of god. So I claim atheism.

That is a good read. youre very intelligent. after reading what you said in your bio or whatever you call that. I guess im a little of both. I guess i am open to believe if the evidence presents itself

I have a problem with the word Agnostic, which is that technically, neither believers nor non-believers can absolutely know, or prove anything. Is not EVERYONE technically Agnostic. I therefore feel the word is largely USELESS except in a few circumstances which I'll get to. What really matters is belief. What does it really matter if you entertain the notion of some sort of god which is absent of any doctrine (religion) or is not a personal god who intervenes in our affairs. It seems to me non-sensical to label yourself based upon anything other than your beliefs, unless you simply wish to avoid the question. Perhaps you don't want the baggage which comes with a label, or don't wish to be pigeon-holed. These are understandable and valid reasons any of us may wish to choose at times a non-commital word such as Agnostic. But let's be honest with ourselves about what is being done. I feel the term Agnostic most makes sense for those truly torn between belief and non-belief. I would presume that for many, though not necessarily all, that would be a transitional and temporary state. There are very few things which can be proven absolutely. The bottom line comes down to what, based on the preponderance of evidence, you find believable or credible. Thoughts?

In logic and probability theory, two events (or propositions) are mutually exclusive or disjoint if they cannot both occur (be true). A clear example is the set of outcomes of a single coin toss, which can result in either heads or tails, but not both.
Mutual exclusivity - Wikipedia

For those who say the two are not mutually exclusive, you cannot say with certainty that there is no god and leave the door open to the possibility that one could exist at the same time, but at present there is no evidence.

I find the agnostic view the most open minded.

I'm also 6 shots into Jaegermeister, so if I tick you off--I neither believe nor disbelieve that I did.

not ticked off but youre mistaken nonetheless. Agnostic and atheist are not mutually exclusive because the agnostic doesnt have to be optimistic enough to claim belief. The terms arent two sides of a coin or dichotomy because they answer two different questions. Do I know everything? no, Im an agnostic. Every person on earth is agnostic if theyre being honest. But do I have any good reason to believe in any form of theism? also no, I am also an atheist.

Lack of knowledge and lack of belief can exist side by side perfectly well without contradicting one another. One seems to lead to the other in fact, but that doesnt mean an atheist is claiming to be scientifically certain and able to rule out admitting their agnosticism. Nor is an agnostic likely so optimistic about any certain god so as to rule out atheism. Belief and Knowledge are two different topics that influence each other heavily, but they are not the same thing.

@Wurlitzer I think a better analogy would be that atheism is one side of the coin. Religion/god is the other. And agnostic is the edge of the coin.

Great post! NOT a rant--too thought provoking. Don't put your soap box where you can't find it again.

Carin Level 8 July 17, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16850
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.