Agnostic.com

303 242

There is no agnostic vs. atheist! The peeve I have...

Dear friends,

This is my first real rant... breaking out that soap box.

Agnostic has broadened my world and introduced so many lovely people into my life that I deeply enjoy the company of. Our conversations are sometimes fun and lighthearted, other times intense and intellectual. I've learned many things from this community and the people in it.

That said, there is this tired old debate. One where agnostics and atheists can't seem to agree on definitions for the words. I'm not going to sit here and post telling all of you that people misunderstand and they need to be taught! That is so demeaning and presumptuous when people do that. It's preaching and coaching rather than talking to someone like a peer. I respect all of you as peers and fellow critical thinkers, so...

I can tell you my own interpretation based on the digging that I've done. I won't ask you to agree with it. All I ask is you do what you already do, think critically. Be open minded. And, most of you are pretty cool and respectful peeps, so I don't think I need to say it-- but there is always one person that needs the reminder. So, here it is! Please play nice. ; )

Disclaimer: if you want to call yourself an agnostic, atheist, agnostic atheist-- whatever, it's your choice based on what fits you most comfortably. The term you choose for yourself is what matters more than my interpretation of the words.

Ah, so for almost 20 years, I've said I was an atheist. After joining agnostic, someone ranted about atheism and agnosticism being mutually exclusive. That someone made me re-evaluate my own thinking. I started digging into the words a little more... and then I started questioning my own bias.

Was I calling myself atheist, because I rejected the dogma of religion (which on an emotional level really pisses me off)? When I thought about it, I could only reject certain gods. Because there was not only no proof of these gods, the evidence was stacked against the holy books these gods are defined in.

1. I absolutely do not believe the Abrahamic god as portrayed in the bible or similar holy texts is real. These holy texts disprove themselves with contradictions and inaccuracies.

2. I do not reject the idea of the possibility of a creator of some sort. I do not believe it. But, I do not disbelieve it.

3. My beliefs and disbeliefs are based on facts and evidence. I will shift beliefs regardless of my feelings, if the facts and evidence align.

*When I looked into the terms atheist and agnostic here is the defining difference😘

Definition of atheism
1 a : a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods
b : a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

Definition of agnostic
1 : a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (such as God) is unknown and probably unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

*The difference between the two, per Merriam-Webster (and I agree with this interpretation, which is why I regularly quote it)😘

Many people are interested in distinguishing between the words agnostic and atheist. The difference is quite simple: atheist refers to someone who believes that there is no god (or gods), and agnostic refers to someone who doesn’t know whether there is a god, or even if such a thing is knowable. This distinction can be troublesome to remember, but examining the origins of the two words can help.

Agnostic first appeared in 1869, (possibly coined by the English biologist Thomas Henry Huxley), and was formed from the Greek agn?stos (meaning "unknown, unknowable" ). Atheist came to English from the French athéisme. Although both words share a prefix (which is probably the source of much of the confusion) the main body of each word is quite different. Agnostic shares part of its history with words such as prognosticate and prognosis, words which have something to do with knowledge or knowing something. Atheist shares roots with words such as theology and theism, which generally have something to do with God.

Depending on your interpretation, I could be defined as an atheist or an agnostic. Atheist if we're talking ONLY about the Abrahamic god. But, why was I defining myself as if Christianity was the anchor of the definition?

In broad strokes, I realized agnostic fits better for me. I don't know if a god or creator exists. And, if I have to label myself, I prefer to think in general.

Some people call themselves agnostic atheists. Per wiki, one of the earliest definitions of agnostic atheism is that of Robert Flint, in his Croall Lecture of 1887–1888 (published in 1903 under the title Agnosticism).

I understand the intent behind the conjoined term, but in my mind these two concepts contradict. How can you both not believe (disbelieve) and claim unknowability? Why have both terms at all, aren't you just agnostic if you require evidence?

But, I suppose it comes from the desire to say, I disbelieve until someone proves otherwise. Which, I do get. But, agnostics don't believe anything without evidence either. So, I don't feel the need to put the terms together. Though, I don't find I need to argue with people who do want to put them together. It does make it's point, which is the whole purpose of labels to begin with. So, OK.

ah, semantics

To sum this up, in my opinion there is no perfect term, label, or word for me. I use labels as a general means to find things that interest me under these headings and to connect with people who generally share my viewpoint-- or at least share the desire to reject dogma and examine things critically.

This rant is only because I've seen several people try to "educate" others on the definitions. To tell everyone they are wrong and have a misconception. This has long been debated and really, to what end? There isn't a good conclusive resource to say side A is right and side B is wrong, so why keep bringing it up? To educate people without a strong source to reference is against the very concept of freethinking. It's better to say "my opinion is..." or "my interpretation is..." and even myself, I cannot claim that I am right and others are wrong. There is no really good corroboration for either side here. Our sources don't even really agree.

Truth be told, I hate labels anyway. I don't feel the need to have a specific tattoo of either agnostic or atheist. Those of you who know me get the gist of what I do and don't believe. I hate dogmatic thinking-- that's the end game.

Fuck the labels. If you don't like dogma, you are my people, my tribe, and I'm good with whatever definition you want to use.

Seriously, call yourself whatever you want, friends.

If you read to the end, thank you for hearing me out. This is the longest blurb I've written. I will now step off my soap box.

With ❤

Silvereyes

silvereyes 8 Jan 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

303 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I always thought that an atheist didn't believe in god, and an agnostic doubted the existence of god but was still open to the possibility of god existing. Anyone else thought this?

yeah thats the simplistic definitions I learned from religious folks who misunderstood the terms though. Everyone thinks an atheist is positive there isnt and an agnostic is on the fence and you can't be both, but please see my comment directly below, as that is not the case.

Agnostic is without knowledge, atheist is without belief. Every honest person on earth is an agnostic, none of us can know. But unless theres a particular god you believe in more than the others, youre also an atheist. Just means without belief in theism. I neither know for sure, nor have any good reason to believe, so I am an agnostic atheist.

@Wurlitzer yes, that clears it up quite nicely. Without knowledge, without belief. I'll remember that distinction. But in the case of god, I do know with certainty that he/she does not exist, not scientifically, but observationally, get it??

@sellinger absolutely I have no problem with claiming there’s no god because there obviously isnt, in any way that we've conceptualized god so far at least. Im only agnostic insofar as I can't claim to have absolute knowledge, theres plenty of things that once seemed mystical that we figured out how to do. Technology was once called magic and mental illness was once called demon possession. Im holding space to accomodate anything else we havent figured out yet, but I usually default to calling myself atheist as its the stronger position to take against theists, and like you said we can be pretty damn sure their idea of god is bunk.

Look for a book called Atheism: The Case Against God, by George H. Smith. Read the first chapter where he defines atheism and variants of it, as well as agnosticism. It is beautifully simple, jarringly simple, but very important. And you will know why there are still some hotly contested discussions among non-believers. Don't rant about it. Figure out why.

I don't care, or at least I'm not actively looking for opinions of others. Never been a follower. I'm just non-religious.
But I wonder. This is all a human twitch. Have you ever realized how many christian churches were founded after the reformation. Everybody seems to have its own opinion (which is okay) and wants to convince others that he or she is right (which is less okay). I try to be open to the world, listen and experience my life and make my own conclusions. I'm willing to share my opinion in conversations, but never want to discuss about what is true or not. Sometimes I encounter things that I didn't realize or know and I fine-tune my opinions. I'm never convinced by what others try to convince me of. Everybody did to me from child on and it appeared not solid or true. I stick to my own and see what the rich do to the people of the world. Equal if they are religious or not. Religion and money miss compassion because of the power that is involved. And I'm not sure yet if people that turned their back to religion are much better in the long run. Power corrupts.

@Gert yeah, that's all fine and dandy. The difference here is that non-believers aren't discussing or debating the merits of faith-based dogma as if they were facts. It usually comes down to logic and language. Which is perfectly fine to me.

The terminology seems like a contradiction because, in your mind, you have assigned excess meaning to a very simple word. I am an agnostic atheist. They are not mutually exclusive things at all. And both terms are used because they denote a very important distinction. I choose to label myself because it's accurate and it conveys information. That's what labels are for.... I'm not down with useless arguments. But I'm also not down with the whole, "Hey, we are all on the same side for the most part so why don't we just get along and forget about logic and meaning" mentality. That is more against "free thinking" than objective debate.

I like what the Dali lama said, which was in answer in an interview when asked, what if science proved there was no god? He said ( I paraphrase) then there’s no god. Be nice.

I love that quote from the Dalai Lama I have read several of his books one point I have about Buddhism reincarnation to me it sounds too Supernatural.

that's okay Dalai Lama came right out and said if you believe in reincarnation, your goal is to live a good life, if you don't believe in reincarnation then your goal is to live a good life

Penn Jillette, of all people, has a really logical way of explaining Atheist vs Agnostic.
Whether you question if a god exists or is knowable, if you lack a belief in a god, then you are an atheist. You don't have to actively believe is definitely no god. Only that you lack a belief in any particular one.

An agnostic is an atheist who has a more questioning philosophy. After all an agnostic also lacks a belief on any particular god, or you wouldn't be agnostic. It's not that the two aren't comparable or similar, but that one is a subsection of the other.

At least that is how it logically makes sense to me. I used to quibble of the semantics of the words until someone asked me a simple question:
Do you have an active belief in any kind of god?
No, than you're not a theist.

"I don't know" is a reasonable answer, but if you don't know if a god exists, then are you claiming he does? Saying a god is possible is not the same as saying I believe in a god.

Of course in the end it's more of a semantics based argument. To me, it's the difference between a Catholic and a Roman Catholic.

Keita Level 5 July 8, 2018

I’m a classical agnostic like you.

That one was a doozy

I'm not into labels, in the sense that I don't need to strongly identify as an atheist in order to have a meaningful life. On the other hand, language is important, because communication is important. So, here is my understanding of the terms:

A/theism is about belief in gods, in particular the absence or presence of such belief. If you don't believe, you're an atheist; if you do believe, you're a theist.

Agnosticism is about knowledge. An agnostic thinks that whether or not gods exist is inherently unknowable. For example, that there are agnostic theists: people who believe in a god, but do not claim to KNOW that there is a god.

Everyone is either an atheist or a theist: you either believe, or you don't. Agnosticism is not a special third choice, as it deals with a completely different aspect of the supernatural altogether.

Just came across this post. I can say that I do not believe in any organized religion, for various reasons. This does not mean that there is not a force in the Universe which can guide us to a better life. So far that is given us by the laws of Physics, we figure out all there is and can apply it towards a better life for all. Religion cannot.

Interesting but at the end of the day an agnostic cannot call themselves a theist so I kinda think the point is moot. For some of us who go so far as saying we are anti-theist, we are angry that the Lords prayer is said at beginning of parliament, swearing on bible in court and religious instruction in schools. I find religion divisive and feel the world would be a better, kinder place without it so I will proudly shout ATHEIST. 😀

Thanks Silvereyes, and well said. I appreciate your putting into words what so many of us are feeling

A well composed,thought provoking post making a person re-examine long standing beliefs,perhaps shaking their foundations of what was steady,and strong.

What do you atheists not believe in? "God"? What the dickens is that? What do you agnostics withhold judgment on the existence of? "God"? What the dickens is that? An infinite omnipresent incorporeal spirit that created everything but the infinite omnipresent spirit that created everything but itself? What the dickens is that?

we think that you protest too much

Sounds like you are an Ignostic. Good choice.

I am happy to say atheist until I find convincing proof otherwise. That is technically also agnostic, but not in the believer feels better because I am giving credence to their belief and they can assume I mean their higher power is true.

I often think of a better term ... That takes away the dogma we are opposed to ...

Language is so difficult a thing to use . To try to express what you want to mean can be taken rightly or wrongly. 2 +2 = 4 we know that. That is the language of maths, but when trying to debate finding the correct words, knowing one wrong word, even said with good intentions, can lead to disaster. That said language is a beautiful thing, poetry, songs, or even a simple letter to someone is truly wonderful

For me, it depends who is asking me. If its a religious person I say I'm an atheist so they don't think they can sway me with their testimony. It seems everyone else understands that the unknowable is a variable that can't be ruled out however unlikely, and they never ask me to define myself anyway.

I don't mind having "labels" to help define my beliefs to others. Personally, I'm both Agnostic and Atheist. I don't believe it is knowable whether there is or isn't a god, but I personally believe there isn't. I can no better prove there isn't a god, than anyone can prove there is one.

I sometimes describe myself as a "don't carist" because I simply don't care whether there is or isn't a god. I will live my life the best I can with the social mores and ethics that have been established over time, in the thousands of years since the concept of god/s crept into the minds of humankind.

There are many forms of literature to help form one's character. The bible doesn't help much in our modern society, as a moral compass. Neither Agnostic or Atheist describe how I get my morality and ethics. Humanist is a better label to further define my spiritual/religious beliefs

Basically, if we refer to the Webster definitions, all agnstics are atheists, but not all atheists are agnostics. That seems simple enough.

As I've said before, we theological noncognitivists don't claim to know of anything that theists label "God" --- either (1) to believe in the existence of, (2) to disbelieve in the existence of, or (3) to withhold judgment on the existence of. We just don't have any idea of anything you could be talking about when you utter the sound "God", "Yahweh" or "Allah".

This was a really good post but I still prefer to label myself as an atheist because I see the Universe itself as coming out of nothing.

“The role played by time at the beginning of the universe is, I believe, the final key to removing the need for a Grand Designer, and revealing how the universe created itself. … Time itself must come to a stop. You can’t get to a time before the big bang, because there was no time before the big bang. We have finally found something that does not have a cause because there was no time for a cause to exist in. For me this means there is no possibility of a creator because there is no time for a creator to have existed. Since time itself began at the moment of the Big Bang, it was an event that could not have been caused or created by anyone or anything. … So when people ask me if a god created the universe, I tell them the question itself makes no sense. Time didn’t exist before the Big Bang, so there is no time for God to make the universe in. It’s like asking for directions to the edge of the Earth. The Earth is a sphere. It does not have an edge, so looking for it is a futile exercise.”
― Stephen Hawking

I think this is Hawking's attempt to give himself peace of mind of how a universe appeared in the first place, or why it should appear in the first place. I have also struggled with thinking or even believing in an answer. A god creating the universe does not answer the question, because it just extends the question to why there was a god in the first place.

Hawking's answer is interesting, but not sufficient for my needs. I've been sloppily thinking that the answer is that there is a one-to-one corespondence between logic and physics, and the only non-arbitrary solution to that "equation" is that the Many Worlds theory is true. (And thus anything possible will happen eventually via quantum mechanics in the infinities of space and time and whatever other dimensions might exist.)

I've called myself Agnostic from about age 16. I can't and won't tell anyone that I somehow know that there's no "god". How can I prove that something does not exists? Have I really looked under every single rock? I can only promise that I've seen no proof... and not even any evidence that there is. Yup, very unlikely that such a thing exists, but EXTREMELY likely that man has invented all this to make life easier for some and vastly more profitable for some of them as they live off the believers. I'll beleive what science tells and shows me long before I'll believe the guy who says I just gotta believe the whole load on faith... and cuz he says so! But I live in rural WV where people "believe" and are steeped in it from birth. No sense in discussing it.

@EdwinMcCravy: You say meaningless for 'God' but other people do put their own meaning whenever they hear it. Any ideas about how to stop everyone hearing it ever again?
This is why I am not a secularist, people who believe in keeping it separate.I believe it will take so long to go away that it is a waste of effort to form partitions when we could be engaged in getting it to actually go away - however slowly.

@Mcflewster Everybody puts the meaningless "creator of the universe" on their alleged meanings for "God", so it doesn't matter what else they "put on it", "God" is still meaningless as long as it contains "creator of the universe". Reason: It is impossible to define "creator" except in terms of a previously existing universe. Want to challenge that? Fine, I'm ready. Shoot. 🙂

I can’t really see much difference in Agnostic and atheist. I’m very disappointed that the atheist organizations are heavily biased toward the liberals. For that reason I can never support them as they are more radical than the Christain’s.

Excellent post.

I agree with your own named beliefs- I.e. about rejecting the Hebrew god idea, yet not being able to disprove other types of gods, etc., and stand by my self-definition as "agnostic."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16850
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.