Agnostic.com

308 29

Should public nudity be legal?

The AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation) has the view that public nudity should be legal as long as the person is not doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else.

The most stated reason by members is to get over "body shame", because doing so helps boost self esteem and confidence. There have been studies showing that children raised in nudist family have higher self esteem and confidence and are just generally more comfortable with who they are as a person.

On the other side there are those persons who seek out nude beaches and nudist events who have seual agendas. AANR nudist clubs don't tolerate such persons, and forcibly remove them shoudl they show up. I refer to such persons as "swingers" because they seem to fit the swinger lifestyle more than they do the nudist lifestyule

However, as a point of freedom. A freedom of expression, which does tno do harm to anyone, shoudl public nudity be legal? As atheists are nto burdened with religious mores , I was just wondering what the people here think?

I am a natuirst (nudist) and I have ridden the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride, which has over 10,000 participants each year, and I have gone on nude hikes, visited clothing optional beaches

So, what are your thoughts?

snytiger6 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

308 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course it should be legal. Clergy is against it, consequently it is right.

zesty Level 7 Oct 7, 2018

LOL... I am not sure if that line of reasoning is (completely) sound, but I like the approach.

who made the law about this in the first place

We are all nude under our clothes, so once the sexualisation is removed, where is the real harm?
Sticky bum prints on plastic seats? Slightly damp farts? Personal cleanliness and dribbly bits? Unexpected arousal? Knocking things over with bits of body? Unwanted contact? Shedding of hairs? Freezer/chilled compartments (ladies).... Sorry I keep finding problems

I enjoy being nude, and do so as often as is practical, but I don't do it outside. Scotlands climate seldom allows conditions conducive for the activity. Midges would just kill you too.

At nudist clubs those dont' seem to be problems, as nudists are generally bery courteous and considerate of each other.

In society at large it could be a problem as not everyone would be considerate enough huygeniocally for there not to be some laws, such as carrying placing a towel on a seat tht is for general public use. before sitting if one is nude and wish to make use of public seating. For every problem there are multiple solutions.

Only in certain areas (nudist resorts, nudist beaches, etc.) It should not be allowed everywhere. Clothing protects us from the elements.

If public nhudity were legal, and seeign nude persons were nto so uncommon, then it wodl no longer be distracting for drivers.

It is true that not everyone woudl be fitowever, I think it is more of a question of beign free to choose whether or nto to wear clothing, and not for the entertainment of other people when one chooses not to.

To say you can't do that because of MY discomfort, means you want to limit the freedoms of others based on your own hang ups. I am nto tryign to make any acusions here, but just trying to turn things a bit so you might see things from a different perspective.

We are taught to feel guilt fear and shame associated with nudity, and most of that teaching originally was based in religious dogma. Few peopel have actually questioned if there is any actual reasoning behind the cultural norm of always being clothed in public at all times. As everyone knows what everyoen else has under their clothes, why do we go to such great lengths to hideit from each other?

I agree with you. Not only do clothes protect the wearer from the elements, clothing on others can protect us from them. What if they didnt wipe well and sit in public. So the next person sits in feces. Or you have a bladder leak? And clothing also helps conceal smells. Keep your clothes on??

It's distracting especially if you're driving. On the other hand it would get people off their phones. I think people forget that acceptance of public nudity is democratic so in addition to shapely females and buff males you also have to be willing to put up with grandma and grandpa and all kinds of two tons of fun.

Disagree, peoples ass and genitals should be covered in public places.

Hell, no. Since age 15 when I developed breasts, I have been catcalled, grabbed, molested, nearly raped, forcibly kissed, sexually assaulted, stalked, raped in 2008, and sexually harassed by men. Nudity would make it much worse.

I want the protection of clothing.

In Hawaii, my date took me to a nude beach without telling me in advance. I wore a bikini. Three-quarters of the people were men trolling for naked women. Ugh.

I love to go skinny-dipping. My body moving through the water feels wonderful but not sexual in any way. When it comes to dry land my feet need protection and arch supports. I can't imagine riding a bicycle naked. Surely naked bike riders have a special seat because the bicycle seats I've seen would be dangerous. In other words, I like the protection of clothing When I visit most places.

I've done the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride a few times, which attracts over 10,000 riders each year. Some peopel may use soem kind of set cover, but I've never seen a special seat used.

This is how the law near my hometown in Colorado looks at going topless anyway. "Female toplessness is allowed in the cities of Denver, Fort Collins and Boulder, since these cities do not make any distinction between female toplessness and male bare chested". Drives the bible thumpers nuts. They keep taking it to court...and the court rulings keep slapping them down. Quite a few legal social nudity places in the US and World: [en.wikipedia.org]

Nice to know that Colorado is pregressive i some places. I knew Boulder ws progressive, but had the impression that the rest of th state was mired in conservatism.

I do like to hear about the bible thumpers being beaten back, and human rights trumping religious dogmas.

Although the thought of seeing topless and nude women walking the streets is a nice one it wouldn't fly here because there will always be that one who messes things up for everyone else.

I've seen video of topless women walking around New York (being topless is legal there), and although the videos seem to indicate that mos tpeople just ignore it, I am sure there is always those few people who do mess it up often enough to keep others from feeling safe and comfortable doing it themselves.

I know in Portland (OR), where I have been on several naked bike rides, the peopel generally just shrug and go on with their lives.

In terms of legality: sure, why not. But there's like spiders and car exhaust in the world, you know. It could be a public health issue, if anything. Some people don't wipe right, and then they go into a bus and sit down - kind of what Victoria's talking about. Yeah, actually, the legality of it would hinder on the health thing. I was with it, and in real time, as I wrote this, I changed my answer to: nevermind. Can't some VD's spread by surface contact? Not sure. If anything events like your bike ride are cool, but having your goods out while you commute or operate a forklift, not the safest or most sanitary thing. That's just one realm of the "public" arena, though.

It is considered proper etiquette in nudist culture to carry towels to sit on for hygienic purposes.

Since hygiene has been mentioned several times, I should make it clear the proper nudist etiquette in nudist culture is to carry a towel to sit on for hygienic purposes.

Also, most nudists do agree that clothing is needed under some circumstances for warmth and/or protection. I think protection includes crowded areas where pervs may try to take advantage.and try to grope.

Nudism/Naturism is not exhibitionism. It is just some of us feel more physically comfortable without clothing to restrict us and we liek to feel the sun and wind on our bare skin.

Because so few people experience beign nude outside of sex or bathing I find they often find it hard to imagine nudity outside of those contexts.

As long as no one makes me do it. I couldn’t stand the embarrassment.

gearl Level 8 Oct 25, 2017

A lot of the point of nudism is to get over feeling ashamed of one's body. I think it is criminal tht we are taught to feel embarrassment and shame over how we look, and are taught that the ideal beauty is what we see in photos that are all touched up and altered to a point that it is impossible to reach in real life.

nope, social contract

The thing about contracts,even social cottracts, is that they can be modified, changed or even broken.

I am good with people using dedicated space for this practice. There are just too many ways people could abuse this that contemplating it makes me uneasy.

I agree that there probably shoudl be designated places for the practice, but on the other hand, I think people shoudl also be allowed to be nude outside of designated places if they so choose. If they choose to rake on the risks of such actions that is their choice. However, I think few would choose to do so, just as few persons choose to park a brand new car in South Central Los Angeles (a crime ridden area). People so mostly use common sense to reduce their risks.

Anyway, changes in public nudity laws would have to be gradual, to alloow for cultural adaptation. No responsible legislators would go from a total ban on nudity to allowing nudity everywhere over night. That would likely be chaotic.

It would be more like in Europe, where they would designate sections of public parks where nude sunbathing is legal, and sections of beaches stc...

No, it should not be. Just because you want to be naked all the time (which I'm not against), there are many out there who would be uncomfortable about seeing it and others who would be outright hateful and hurtful!
It's for your own safety that so far, full public nudity is still illegal.
There is however, at least one State that I know of, New York, which allows women to appear topless in public.

The states of Vermont and Oregon have pretty nude friendly laws. In Oregon, you can legally be nude anywhere if you are protesting. The oregon State Supreme Court ruled that nudity is protected under the State's constitution. The wording of the decision is clear about protests, but vague about other situations.

For us truly pale people it would require a coat of SPF not invented as yet. I'd rather wear clothing. That being said one of the first Nudist Camps in America was just a few miles from my doorstep growing up. And hey Big Bird is a nudist! So no - no problems with nudism - but I think sticking to clubs/beaches places it's accepted is just fine.

While visiting a friend in Palms Springs, where the high temperatures were 110-120F, I was introduced to Nutrogena sun screen (I am talking about he creme that somes in a tube, nto hte spray). I found with just one application, I could go in and out of the water all day without burning or having to reapply it. It is expensive, but well worth it. I have never burned while wearing it, no matter how much time I spent in the sun. Abotu a minute after you put it on it is dry to the touch, so you dont' get on clothes if you put clothes on over it. Anyway, if you are fair skinned, it shoudl allow you to be in the sun for much longer. You will still fell warm, but definitely won't be as apt to burn.

My opinion is that public nudity should be legal. I lived in areas where there was a much greater degree of public nudity. I believe genetalia were often covered for protective reasons as these were more sensitive areas (injury wise - men & women) and for sanitary reasons. what was interesting was that nakedness was much more of an issue for those who were clothed than naked.

Whilst in Germany a friend and I realised we were in a naked sports complex when guys were wandering around starkers and we were in swimming trunks. The laughing Germans caused my friend to state that he felt embarrassed to be clothed so we went back to the lockers and got nudie. It was a "unisex" complex and all sexes used the same changing rooms and all facilities. There was no sexual innuendo or lewd behaviour. It was actually a pleasant experience to be there.

In the UK, the laws are not straight forward. I have included a link to a Wikipedia entry about a (in)famous naked rambler [en.wikipedia.org]

Wow. Interesting story. Hope society gets over its warped attitudes soon. Clothing only when naturally necessary.

American's in general are hypocritical prudes and the rise of christian fundamentalism recently (christian fundamentalists overwhelmingly support Trump) would seem to hinder the chance of any liberalization in this regard.

I am thinking (or a least hoping) that Trump will push too hard and too far and there will be a societal push back in the other direction.

On,y if you look good nekkid. ????

Beautiful nakedness is in the eye of the beholder.

Sure why not..unfortunately..too many people sexualize the human body..I went to a festival last summer..there was a beautiful family..mom..dad..two young kids..boy and girl..walking around fully nude..they looked happy and at home in their skin...their children were playing and never even acted like they acknowledged their nakedness...people need to stop sexualizing...the human body is not just for sex..I have no issues with nudists..can have full conversations with them and not stare ...woman who breastfeed should do it with abandon...no one should be looking down upon another's life choices as long as they are not impeaching on your rights...

yes, what you describe, is the way things shoudl be.

I disagree. I think nudity should have it is own places not public ones

What are your reasons for this opinion?

The only problems I see from nudity are in the eye of the beholder.
Naked skin is fetishized in most western cultures it would seem.
General, shameless nudity seems the only cure.
Hiding nudity from children does not seem a solution but more a perpetuation of what I would call unhealthy attitudes towards our bodies. A recurrent theme in the objections to it seems to be, ~ I will see something I do not like. ie Young girls naked are fine but old men are detestable. I see things and people I do not like all the time. I do not find this at all crippling. i think if we can get over the packaging we may begin to be concerned more with what is on the inside.

The first time I went to a nude beach, Within an hour, the nudity all around me was no big deal. Even though it took several trips before I went nude myself, I strted to see nudity as "normal".

If nudity is normalized. then it is no big deal.

Yeah, there will be obese people, but at the nude beach, i hear a lot less derogatory comments than I her in public places where everyone is clothed. Beauty value judgements are mostly learned. They can be unlearned (or better yet not learned in the first place). Too many people equate beauty and beign sexually attractive as they saem thing, but they are not. Everyone at some time in their life has seen someone who was physiclly beautiful to whom they were not attracted to sexually. The serialization of the human body, or rather seeing every human body in terms of sexual attractiveness and making a beauty judgement on that basis has not made for a better world or society.

Naked is natural. Clothign is unnatural. Why do we mostly choose to live so out of touch with nature?

Why not, we are ALL born naked, it is only conventions dictated originally by religious beliefs that as modern humans we MUST be clothed in front of others.

One of my favortite T-shirts reads "If we were meant to be naked, We'd have been born that way".

O hell no! Some things should not be seen! I'm fairly certain no one wants to see me naked 🙂

It isn't about being seen. It is more aobut having the self confidence and aelf assurance enough to not care if you are seen, and just enjoying the freedom in movement without clothes and experience the sun wind and/or rain as nature intended.

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: I believe so but in a kind of regulated manner. It may sound odd but as mentioned in some of the comments/replies the within the nudist/naturalist culture people carry around towels for when they sit down. However, if one legalizes nudity across the board not everyone who is now going to go around naked sometimes will abide by that standard. Also, it would bring into question many laws about decency and even sexual assault. Yes, there is nothing inherently indecent about the naked form but if nudity is legal across the board then people who get arrested for things like flashing may be able to make more of a case - "My coat just blew open, they took it wrong." "Nothing illegal about being naked, chicks shouldn't have looked" - or if people didn't like a person being naked they could claim they were behaving inappropriately; again the nudist culture around sexual nakedness would likely not transmit to the rest of society. Let's also not forget how it is legal for vendors to kick someone out for not wearing shoes or a shirt and the same would happen for nudists - so that may have to be dealt with as well. To help combat these issues there would have to some sort of regulation or additional caveats legal nudity (until there is a cultural shift large enough where these issues wouldn't be a problem) these regulations may be from anywhere to requiring someone to use a towel is nude to only being nude on public land.

I've read all the replies and yours is one that seems to be more thought out than the knee jerk responses a few person put out there. Our society could not handle an "overnight" change, but it would have to be adopted gradually with clear regulations for purposes of public safety (and hygiene) so that people could adjust and adapt in a gradual and sensible way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.