Agnostic.com

308 29

Should public nudity be legal?

The AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation) has the view that public nudity should be legal as long as the person is not doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else.

The most stated reason by members is to get over "body shame", because doing so helps boost self esteem and confidence. There have been studies showing that children raised in nudist family have higher self esteem and confidence and are just generally more comfortable with who they are as a person.

On the other side there are those persons who seek out nude beaches and nudist events who have seual agendas. AANR nudist clubs don't tolerate such persons, and forcibly remove them shoudl they show up. I refer to such persons as "swingers" because they seem to fit the swinger lifestyle more than they do the nudist lifestyule

However, as a point of freedom. A freedom of expression, which does tno do harm to anyone, shoudl public nudity be legal? As atheists are nto burdened with religious mores , I was just wondering what the people here think?

I am a natuirst (nudist) and I have ridden the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride, which has over 10,000 participants each year, and I have gone on nude hikes, visited clothing optional beaches

So, what are your thoughts?

snytiger6 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

308 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow I am having conflicting thoughts about this one. There are tribes of nude people and I have no problem with that but we do live in the natural world anymore and I don't think I would want to slide into a booth after someone else slid out of it for example. I mean it's all fine and good until germs get shared or bodily fluids are secreted and how could that be prevented without clothing? I think a nudist colony would be cool, that way people could have a choice but let's face it, getting hair in our food is bad enough without the risk of that hair coming from other places than the top of our heads. I would have to vote no, please no.

Only people who don't know call them colonies. We call them clubs or resorts and some are pretty fancy. Some more clues, we carry towels with us to sit on so there is no shared germs or fluids and we tend to take multiple showers a day. And since most shave pubes there would be no pubic hair in your food either. You see? We've already figured all this out for you.

@cyndiann Well I definitely know more now than I did this morning lol

@RobLawrence Right? Overstimulated! Pun intended.

Wow I am having conflicting thoughts about this one. There are tribes of nude people and I have no problem with that but we do live in the natural world anymore and I don't think I would want to slide into a booth after someone else slid out of it for example. I mean it's all fine and good until germs get shared or bodily fluids are secreted and how could that be prevented without clothing? I think a nudist colony would be cool, that way people could have a choice but let's face it, getting hair in our food is bad enough without the risk of that hair coming from other places than the top of our heads. I would have to vote no, please no.

In the nudist villages of France, most everyone walks around with a towel that is used when sitting in public places as well as lounging on the beach. If you want to learn more about the nudist life style there are many free videos available online. Most are not designed to be erotic, but rather educational of the lifestyle.

@Barnie2years Thanks. I did not know that.

@CreativelyMe

Short ansewer, Yes. ..... Why not ? It is a non issue for other species of apes.

One of my favorite T-shirts reads "If we were meant to be naked, we'd have been born that way." I especially like ht elooks on the faces of believers when they figure out what it is really saying.

@snytiger6 I must get one of those made!

@Petter I got mine from cafepress.com

@snytiger6 Thanks for the tip.

It didn’t work out in Bali

I am aware that Bali has nude beaches, but they are also a part of Indonesia, which although Bali is mostly Hindu, Indonesia has a lot of Muslim extremists. In either case Hindu or Muslim, women do nto have equal status or rights. Without legal equality, social nudism is problematic, due to a lack of legal equality.

@snytiger6 wait just a minute you are obviously one with issues with Islam. Only a very small part of the population, the highest in Islam, may be radical unlike Christians in America. Bali is a semi autonomous island where women for many years worn no tops until about 20 years ago hand stop the practice due to Americans, Australians, and Euros were googoo eyes. Indonesia is a relatively moderate state and let’s talk about legal equality such as women in this country are underpaid by 20-30 percent of men. Also check out the murder rate of women by men. Also research LDS and women..... I could go on but I think we need to be careful when throwing stones. Asaalam Alechum

@Millerski25 I only stated that women are not considered equal in either the Hindu or Muslim faiths.

I myself was raised in the Mormon faith, and in that too women were not considered equal. although in America women do (supposedly) have equal right.

In my mind any kind of inequality is unacceptable.

@Millerski25 wage gap is disproven, and men murder women at a 2-1 rate. not nearly as crazy lopsided as you seem to be implying (not that Im condoning it by any stretch, just correcting misinformation.)

As those of the Wiccan/Pagan persuasion are fond of saying: "Harm none, do what ye will." I believe that about sums up this scenario. I, personally, am not completely comfortable being nude around strangers. However, I see no reason whatsoever why others who are at ease in that state and weather permitting, should not do so. I think the Europeans who have nude beaches, parks etc, such as they do in the Netherlands, have the right idea! People in the USA are still way too prudish and Puritanical in their thinking and practices. Laissez les bon temps roulez!

In Ontario Canada Women are allowed 2 go topless, Never seen anyone do that yet lol. If the health department say there are no health risks then yes freedom of choice.

@Hercules3000 You can't get a sexual transmitted disease off a bar stool or a toilet!

There is no need for laws about this. The human is what it is and we were not given clothes to wear by anybody. But please apply some common sense. If you think you have private parts then keep them private. If you want to teach your kids to feel they have privacy be a role model.

As to bike rides being nude. It sounds more like a silly protest than common sense. No real reason to do it unless you don't have money for clothes (but have money for a bike).

Stig Level 5 Oct 24, 2018

The World Nake dBike Ride is a protest against our continued use of fossil fuels. It is fun, an dyes, it can be silly at times, but a clothed bike ride would not gain the same publicity about the issue. It is a veyr low bost way to gain publicity for protests in oruj society.

@snytiger6 That's for a good cause.

How do you nude bikers deal with the bugs? Its bad enough with a shirt and shorts. But dealing with them down yonder whilst pedaling?

it probably should not be for fat ppl. if i were religious i would say fat naked ppl exposing their vast expanses are an abomination under god's eyes.
i spent 3 1/2 yrs in europe & can remember some of these gross individuals on the french riviera ( st tropez) that looked like beached whales. these were just public beaches but it was not against the law then to be nude.

What is or isn't attractive is learned and has changed over time. In the middle ages plumpness was considered ideal. In Samoa, to this day, fat is considered to be attractive. ideals of beauty are cultural and learned. They can be unlearned too, where peopel just accept each other for who they are instead of an unrealistic ideal driven by advertising.

To me not feeling ashamed of one's own body is an ideal worth fighting for. It goes a logn way towards good self esteem to accept oneself as is.

@snytiger6 , ppl accepting their bodies the way they are is destroying your health care system.
the # of obese, & morbidly obese ppl in the US is astonishing. a high % of ppl with C19 are obese & die. they end up on ventilators & the hospitals charge obsene amounts of money to keep them alive but many don't make it.

@callmedubious Ironically, it is often the lack of self acceptance that leads people to eat to the point of obesity. Because they don't accept themselves, they eat to get some emotional satisfaction.

If you look at a country like Germany, were nudity is a lto mroe accepted, peopel there dont' over eat so mcuh.

Also, a good part of obasity in America is the lack of nutrition in the goods they eat. When a food is poor in nutrients but high in calories, a person eats more of it because the body doesn't stop being constantly hungry until its nutritional needs are met, and you can't get nutrition form junk food.

@snytiger6 , i was stationed in germany for 3/12 yrs & while there were many hefty deutchers at that time (early 1980s) i didn't really notice many that would be considered obese.
i think a lot of that has to do with the German's love of the outdoors. they have trails everywhere & love to get out & "wander" as they refer to it.
you're right about the poor nutrition.

I don't have a problem with nudity but there is those questions of public sanitation i am not comfortable with. Personally outdoor nudity is frightening for me I don't tan I burn, I have fair skin and had a lot of red hair when I was younger.

From what I understand about public nudity is that at first people become distracted and have to consciously avoid staring but, after a short time acclimatize to the situation and do become comfortable with it.

It is considered proper etiquette in nudist culture to carry towels to sit on for hygienic purposes.

I did not know that, but it makes sense.

Nudist camps, or activities in a defined space ? Sure.

Everyone roaming around nude on an average day , in an average town ?

No-o-o-o , p-l-e-e-e-e-a-s-e !!

I'm with you on this.

Me too! I really don't want to see the swinging nutsacks, bushy bushes and floppin titties everywhere I go. Lol...put some damn clothes on....
But swimming topless is a wonderful and free feeling when you have breasts....

Apparently the ancient greeks and other concurrent societies were quite openly naked in public especially during sporting and similar public events, much to the horror of the jewish peoples of the time. And it seems that the Abrahamic religions, Jewish, Moslem, and Christian have put their stamp on public morals ever since. It should be completely legal, and completely up to the individual as to when and where they exercise their right to nudity. There is a huge difference between legal, and compulsory.

gymnasium means 'to exercise naked.'

@GoldenMean actually it means Naked place

'...much to the horror of the jewish peoples...'? The early Jews were not monotheists and shared much with the peoples around them for a long time, even to 3rd CE. If you have sources to share, I'd love to know these. I'm always interested in separating fact from fiction.

Also, I lifted the following from an online encyclopedia:
'...recent studies of human lice suggest that clothing may have become commonplace in human society around 72,000 years ago...' [en.wikipedia.org]. I knew the Jews were an ancient civilization, but...?

Now, regarding the Greeks: I've read there were double standards for female nudity in Greece, the exception being the Spartans.

Well, let's face it, we live in a culture that for better or worse is infused with sexualizing everything and laced through with people who equate a social taboo against nudity with immorality. And cultural attitudes only change slowly. We seem to be gradually more accepting of the fact that gasp women have breasts -- although in my experience that's limited to people tolerating women who are nursing infants. When I've traveled overseas, women topless at the beach seems normal (and is not usually a particularly sexually stimulating sight to behold). A generation ago, thong bikini bottoms were criminalized in certain places, and a generation before that, bikinis or other midriff-exposing swimwear was scandalously revealing enough that they were banned in some places. So there is progress being made, just frustratingly slow progress.

And then, as the post points out, there are people who actually will abuse an ability to be nude in front of others in sexual ways and there's no way to sort out in advance who would be likely to do that sort of thing. While I might not be hugely bothered by seeing a nude person on the beach next to me, I would be bothered by seeing that person masturbate in public. And we all know that some people would do that even if a lot of nudists (naturists, if you prefer) would not. And then there's the guy who "forgot" his towel and just plops his junk down on the public bench anyway.

So unfortunately for those who would responsibly enjoy the ability to be nude in public, until the cultural attitudes change I think we'll need to have to keep on telling you to cover up those particular bits.

This could be argued with the chicken or the egg type of argument. Can cultural attitudes change first without allowing more nudity in society first, or will allowing more nudity in society change public attitudes to where it would be as accepted as it is in many parts of Europe? Either way, nothing would change all that quickly.

The real question as i see it, is should people have the freedom to be nude if they so choose, and my answer would be yet. So, although nothing will happen over night, I'd like to see our society and culture move in the direction where nudity is more acceptable. Especially so, because most of our taboos against nudity are based in religious dogmas.

Yes, pervs do go to the nude beaches, but natruists/nudists either ignore tham or laugh at them, and they are no more than a minor annoyance at the beach. The big annoyance is that the general public get a warped view of naturists/nudists in general beign sexual in purpose from the very few and infrequent pervs.

So nudge them gradually. Cultural attitudes do change. It used to be a crime to engage in sexual behavior with someone of the same sex and the idea of a same sex marriage was risible. Today, it's the law of the land. But it didn't happen all at once, it took a lot of hard work making incremental changes until the concept of tolerance gained a critical mass of social acceptance. Maybe naturism can walk a similar path.

If the religious hate was untaught and nature considered natural, a lot of twisted sex attitudes would go away. Bodies could be just bodies. Cultures have perverted sex and the body and it could be untaught. But, nudity would be choice, like wearing shorts in the snow or pajamas when shopping. Who cares if no one is hurt?

I'm absolutely sure that I would frighten sensitive vegetarians and barnyard animals. The sole reason is I am not the "Olympian Ideal" of masculinity, but am OK with myself. Nudity is wonderful, until you try to fry bacon.

I once had a body that was considered "ideal". I had to exercise for at least three hours a day, at least for at least five days a week in order to just maintain it. Now, I just have an "average" body, which means no definition and some extra pounds in unflattering places. There really is nto much point in all that effort unless you make a living as a model.

Life is too short to be worried about what other people think about my current body condition. I am happy and comfortable with myself.

Nudity doesn't mean you lose your common sense. Protection where it's needed.

With you there, sometimes I cook shirtless and I am usually surprised how far hot oil can go!

Are you a doctor?

No, not a doctor. I just have a BA in sociology. I am pretty well read though. Although I only have a BA, I also completed more than twice the credits i needed to graduate, because i just love to learn about virtually everything.

@snytiger6 Dammit, Jim, I'm a sociologist, not a doctor!

@pnullifidian LMAO...

They're just meat-suits, y'all. Get over yourselves and the standards you were taught.

It often amazes me how many people who are atheist still hold onto the dogmas and biases they were taught by religion. Feeling fear guilt and shame about personal nudity and the nudity of others being a prime example.

@snytiger6 I agree 100%. I find myself still shaking out of the different "rules" I was taught since infancy each and every day. The bravery of it all, in my opinion, stems from the conscious decision one must make to break past those invisible barriers. The rest follows.

@soundofthereign you bring up a good point that in and of itself would be a good discussion. Those pesky "rules" really stick in a person's brain. Social conditioning....powerful.

Nudity really isn't appropriate for city life - too many complications . But if you live in the country or want to go nude on your holidays at the seaside, why not. It might help people be more relaxed about different body shapes.

Did you know it's legal to be without a top (women) in NY City?

@cyndiann Does that apply to men, too? Seems to me that men go around bare-chested quite a lot in hot weather. No reason why women shouldn't as well, if they want to.

@CeliaVL well yeah and that's the point. Women should be treated the same as men under the law, including being topfree.

I remember an Ottawa bylaw that forbade public display of 'any disgusting object'. There are some things that are best left covered up.

To see any human body as "disgusting" is something people are taught to do. People do nto have a natural abhorrence to th enuman body. It is a culturally learned stigma.

What is considering "disgusting" would vary a lot from one person to another. So who gets to decide what is disgusting? People raised with bad body image caused by religion?

@snytiger6 I don't find anything aesthetically pleasing about an old saggy or fat body (and I have one). This is not to say people shouldn't be naked at say the beach where the context is appropriate. Young fit people and children can look beautiful naked. Just look at all the art work dedicated to the naked form. When my boys were little, I thought them beautiful naked. But if I had thought that someone was sexually aroused by the sight of my naked sons, I would be revolted. As a parent I would want to protect my kids from the eyes of perverts so for this reason I'm not comfortable about kids (who aren't able to give legal consent) coerced into public nudity.

I basically have no problem with the things you state, and can accept them as true. My problem with the public nudity being legal is the part where I'm told how I should feel about it. It's the same problem I have with the topless womans movement. I think you should be allowed to be topless or nude really wherever you want to be. But the fact of the matter is, I like seeing topless women. I like seeing naked women. I will definitely be aroused from time to time by seeing it. I want to make it clear I in no way think that that gives me to abuse the woman in question in any manner. But if I am aroused by seeing it I don't want to be shamed for it.

My experience at nudist clubs is that even when peoepl see someone they are attracted to they don't automatically get aroused. The reason why7 not is context. (the idea of a proper tiem and place for everything).

There are cases of spontaneous erections at nudist clubs. Generally, people just ignore it, and any criticisms are only if the person tries to purposefully draw attention to it. Peopel generaly just ignore it, and it tends to go away after a few minutes.

You have a good pint and I would probably be escorted out and off the beach do to a perpetual rrection and would make me look like I never belonged or am a schmuck

@Millerski25 I'll admit the first time I went naked at a nude beach, I pretty laid on my stomach for the first five to ten minutes waiting for an erection to go away, but that was the only time i had that kind of problem.

We are conditioned to associate nudity with sex and bathing. However once you get used to the context of beign nude in other situations erections aren't really an issue

I argued with my law professor once that women should be allowed to take their shirts off outdoors, because men are allowed to. He argued fiercely that women not being allowed to take their shirts off outside was protecting us from people who would sexualize us.

My argument was that people who would sexualize us should be taught that they are wrong, or just shunned.

I think everyone should have the right to nudity if they are not doing it for sexualizing anyone. I read somewhere that the countries that allow public nudity have dramatically reduced rape statistics.

Your profesor's arguement really breaks down when you realize all the tribal cultures cultures around the world where females go bare breasted and it is not serialized at all (by other tribal members anyway).

Although National Geographic never did a photo spread, as even they reach a point of prudishness, there are tribal cultures where nudity was always the norm. Body shame is nto a universal cultural value.

I like your way of thinking!

Women in Canada have the right to be topless. If men can go topless, why not women. Any argument against women being topless are silly. Equal rights trumps puritan morality

Nope. Current American culture (one of the most prudish in the world) would not adapt to it. Way to disruptive.

I think it depends on wht part of the country you are in. My experience in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon and Washington) is that nudity isn't really a big deal. Although legally Oregon is much more nude friendly than Washington. I have been told hat Vermont as pretty nude friendly laws too

@snytiger6
I believe you're correct in your observations. I was thinking about the context (is that the right word?) of being nude. I cannot imagine any organization I've worked for allowing nudity in the workplace. What about visiting an art museum? Or say, attending the Opera? A courtroom? Would you wear a great coat in the winter traveling to a restaurant and then remove it to be seated? I don't see this happening here in southern Ohio.

@bigpawbullets I actually went to a slothing optional day at the Portland (Oregon) Art Museum. It was right before the World Naked Bike ride.. (Th =e Portland WNBR attracts more than 10,000 riders each year).

As for workplaces and businesses, they can have dress codes, and most do.

I have a more complex view. My wife got mad when I told her is was not right that men can go shirtless in many places while women can not. People are weird about sex and associate nudity without the ability to pull them apart.

So knowing this I would say that it should be legal with some exceptions.

Public venues such as schools, libraries, playgrounds ect. should be avoided due to backlash and risks. Really it would be best to designate places it is acceptable. Not just to protect our puritan eyes but because of safety. In a sexually repressed society, public nudity can drive some to do the unthinkable. In an environment where children are protected and can feel safe if is fine.

I for one do not think I could walk around nude women without being in a semi constant state of arousal. That would be both awkward for me and these ladies that should have some say in the matter. I doubt I am alone there.

So depending on what your are proposing you got my vote, good luck getting it through a majority though.

Having been to nude beaches and nudist clubs, i cna assure you that you actually get used to seeign people nude and problems with "arousal" (erections) are not problem once a person gets used to nudity.

That beign said, for many guys, a first trip to a nude beach may have them spendign the first fifteen minutes or so layingon their stomaches, until they get used their surroundings.

@Hercules3000 In most venues yes. There are imo exceptions.

Often the people who object to public nudity are also opposed to the wearing of the burqa.

Although, it may not seem logical, that is true. In both cases those against nudity and those against the Buraq are mostly (often fanatical) Christians tryign ti impose their religious belifs and/or values onto others.

I do believe it should be legal but i am also honest enough to say that i would be afraid of embarrassing myself due to arousal. I would feel that i was being discourteous, even though it was an involuntary action lol. The hope would be i suppose that familiarity would breed contempt. But in the initial stages it would be hard (cheap pun i couldn't resist ?).

For persons who have nto experienced social nudity, but have only been naked either for sex or bathing, a first time social nudity experience may cause a man to inadvertantly get hard, because the body has been conditioned to think "naked equals sex". I myself spent the first few minutes at a nude beach laying on my stomach until the problem went away. Then I got used to being naked, and never had such an issue again.

So yeah, it hapens. Generally nudist etiquette says that you just ignore it and do nothign to draw attention to it and let it go away on its own.

personally I prefer nudist clubs to nude beachees. Much different atmosphere.

You can always take care of yourself beforehand.

It might happen at first, but like most things, you become numb to it. After a while it's just another set of tits. Honestly, you can see almost everything at most beaches today anyway with some bikinis. Do you keep a raging boner at the beach all day when and if you go?

Considering how contagious some STDs are, I'm going to say that everyone should have at least one layer of protection between their genitals and things I might touch.

[slate.com]
[besafemeds.com]

Unfounded fear

@jondspen yeah, okay,I took care of my brother in law as he died of AIDS, 6'3" , 83lbs at the end. You can bet your ass after cleaning up fountains of bodily fluids as he wasted away over 6 months, I got tested! Clothing is a sanitary barrier, just look at how operating room personnel are dressed, for the protection of Everyone in there.

For sanitary reasons, I think it shouldn't be allowed on public property; you should be able to do whatever you want on your own property (like sunbathing nude on your lawn or patio), even if it is visible to everyone, but taking it to public places where your body hygiene can affect others is a step I wouldn't take.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 18, 2017

It is considered proper etiquette in nudist culture to carry towels to sit on for hygienic purposes.

@snytiger6, "It is considered proper etiquette...to carry towels..." Which is precisely why half the naked people wouldn't do it. If I'm not mistaken, San Francisco had quite a problem with that very thing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.