Agnostic.com

308 29

Should public nudity be legal?

The AANR (American Association for Nude Recreation) has the view that public nudity should be legal as long as the person is not doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else.

The most stated reason by members is to get over "body shame", because doing so helps boost self esteem and confidence. There have been studies showing that children raised in nudist family have higher self esteem and confidence and are just generally more comfortable with who they are as a person.

On the other side there are those persons who seek out nude beaches and nudist events who have seual agendas. AANR nudist clubs don't tolerate such persons, and forcibly remove them shoudl they show up. I refer to such persons as "swingers" because they seem to fit the swinger lifestyle more than they do the nudist lifestyule

However, as a point of freedom. A freedom of expression, which does tno do harm to anyone, shoudl public nudity be legal? As atheists are nto burdened with religious mores , I was just wondering what the people here think?

I am a natuirst (nudist) and I have ridden the Portland (OR) World Naked Bike Ride, which has over 10,000 participants each year, and I have gone on nude hikes, visited clothing optional beaches

So, what are your thoughts?

snytiger6 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

308 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well , I believe I am a bonafide nudist. Been a member of a Nudist club for the last 26 years. It's where I do most of my socializing, Dancing, Karaoke, dining, swimming, Hiking, and of course sunbathing. For me it is mostly a weekend thing, although alot of people live there. As much as I love it, I believe it should be secluded to clubs, ( no matter how big ) . The general public does not get it !!! It is NOT a sexual thing. Although like everywhere else you can find whatever you want there, just ask someone. I find Nudists to be much happier people than most and you will find ALL types of people eg. race, body type, age, beliefs, and professions. I consider nudism to be my ' Religion ' ! It's MY freedom, my Peace, my Lifestyle. So there you go ! 😉

That has pretty much been my experience too. Nudists are happier and a lot less judgemental.

I am ambivalent about this. On the one hand, I think the human body, male and female, is beautiful, and nudity is our natural state. On the other hand, the social/cultural makeup of the US, with its Puritan background, the current environment of sexual predators and abuse, and the pervading (still) idea that men can't help themselves so it's the woman's fault......all of these things lead me to believe it won't happen anytime soon. It's a shame it has to be like this.

marga Level 7 Jan 31, 2018

I often think that a lot of "religious" or "puritanical" viewpoints against nudity is simply because they would lose the excitement of "beign naughty" if nudity were normalized. Which is why so many "religious leaders" get caught doing the very things they preach against. They find emotional satisfaction in their hypocrisy... at least until they get caught.

Public nudity should be legal. However, it would need to be regulated, by aN undress code. Beaches, recreational areas, residential areas, bars,etc. would be permissive areas. Still restricted from most workplace and school settings with the exception gymnasiums and workout rooms. Some places could option in such as an all nude restaurant, shopping mall or dance hall. Driving a car would still require footwear. Hazardous areas such commercial kitchens, auto repair shops and boiler rooms would not allow nudity for safety reasons. In many states nudity is not restricted except for exposure of genital areas. Common sense seems to work well in such states.

Comedian Joe Wang quipped: "I don't approve of public nudity, but when it happens, I want to be there." lol

Geoff Level 5 Jan 26, 2018

That is funny.

Naturist/Nudist culture is nto about beign seen or seeing others though.

As long as it doesn't frighten the horses... Who cares?

I got a good little chuckle out of your answer.

Nudity should be legal. And sex in public should be legal, if you aren't endangering anyone.

If you see two animals humping in public, do you go over and kick them? No - you just don't get in their way and you leave them alone. Maybe watch, if you are looking for pointers. Same should apply to humans.

If you look at the letters of the original settlers of Jamestown (VA), the Native Americans had that attitude where public nudity and public sex were no big deal to them.

I have no moral objections to nudity. I just don't want to see ANYONE naked.

I like that you make a distinction.

As for myself, as long as a person is not doing anything with the intent of trying to sexually arouse either themselves or anyone else, I have no problem seeing other people naked.

I guess we all draw our own lines of comfortability in different places.

Yes, public nudity should be allowed. freedom of expression & such. also: I am sure that sleezy & sexually directed behaviour will actually decrease, should nudity become the new normal, for exactly that reason.

I agree with that. It might take a little while, but in the long run you would very likely prove to be correct.

No. There are too many hygiene risks. As my brother (EPA prosecutor, so he may be a little bitter) puts it "Most people can't properly manage a flush toilet, let alone serious hygiene risks."

I suppose that is why we have laws that require hygiene under certain circumstances. I am all for such laws.

Making nudity legal does not mean there would not be limitations or regulations. For instance even speech is regulated under some circumstances, such as it is illegal to yell fire in a theater or auditorium. Above I already mention the limitation that a naked person should not be doing anything with the intent of sexually arousing either themselves or anyone else. Other limitations would very likely be needed to insure hygienic protections... because some people are just idiots and/or assholes in regards to being considerate of others.

@snytiger6 The limitations needed to make general public nudity sufficiently hygienic would most likely amount to see-through clothing, Which rather defeats the purpose. All beaches being clothing optional, parks the same, probably public swimming pools but I'd want input from the managers of such. These would be reasonable options. Nudity on public transport would be both invasive and grotty. If we could limit the close contact into which people come it would probably be reasonably safe. I suspect that clothing is the easier option.

I am a nudist if I can say, and I have visited nudist beach. However, after living in US for two years, I want to think that public nudism and other life styles we choose, waters down the true meaning of human bondage and relationships. That's why there's just sex every where, with no human affection. Let our nudism stay in the closet, what are you marketing that people don't know about? I never lived in a nudist family, I have self esteem. If someone doesn't have self-esteem, it's a clear indication of how parents---by spoon feeding the growing children, do spoil them. That's why I see many younger adults seeking mentors. I say, that's trash.

No. It's always the ugly peeps that want to show their junk. No. Oh, hell no. Don't want to sit on the same chair naked as your naked asscrack or whatever. Ugly. No.

If we weren't forced to cover and be prudes we wouldn't judge others' looks. And common sense would have pants when appropriate.

Probably not a good idea in today's climate change world.
The ozone layer is incredibly thin and in places gone, and this will lead to a rise in skin cancer with the nude fraternity.
Also, as the majority of people are not interested in running around nude, I would say it is probably not a wise thing to make it legal everywhere.
But what you do in your home or backyard or other appropriate place is up to you.

Unsanitary at best...if we must constantly wash our hands to avoid colds & flu.......what else would get spread? Ugh!

Yes, some boundaries of etiquette and for sanitation would need to be established. At nudist clubs or in nudist homes i have visited, people generally carry towels with them to sit on as a par of nudist cultural etiquette. As things opened up to public nudity, new social norms would need to be established to avoid such issues such as sanitation.

Yes, but in selective areas. Mind you, rubbing up against women on a subway...

Ooops... wrong forum...

Absolutely- but only by really good looking people. Everyone else should get 20 to life in Gitmo...

My first comment would be to suggest that you check your spelling before posting.... 😉

As to nudism... it's natural.
By and large, our nation's attitude towards nudity and sex merely reflects its attitude toward Nature and the environment in general....something to be exploited.

If and when a community finds that nudist beaches can be a source of additional income, usually variances are made for accommodations. Money talks.

I am an AANR member, but at times I find that they can be proselytizing "family friendly" nudism a bit too much since the overwhelming majority of nudists are either single or couples.

As to "swingers"...
whether in your local neighborhood or at a nudist community, that's nobody else's business but the people involved in it...as long as they don't make it other's business and are discreet about it. Government shouldn't be the ones deciding that only monogamous sex is acceptable.

I think there is a time and place for this. In Canada in winter - not so much.
I think you should be able to be naked on beaches, on your own property, and at the homes of likeminded people.

I do not believe you should be driving a motorcycle nude - or shopping nude etc... so NO.

WHY? Because there are many people (myself included) that other people just don't want to see naked! I cannot imagine going to the store and seeing all those wal mart shoppers naked. EWWWW.

In Oregon, even though there are some local ordinances against nudity, a State Supreme court ruling said that nudity was a right, and the local ordinances are not really enforceable.

However, as to your concern, the right to be nude only applies to the commons, such as public sidewalks, streets, parks, etc... You cant' legally be nude on privat property or at a place of business which does not allow it, as that would fiolate the law under "creatign a public nuisance", and even if a business if open to the public, they are still privately owned.

Anyway, despite nude friendly laws in Oregon, few person actually take advantage. This is mostly because naturists/nudists try to not deliberately offend others, unless as a part of a protest (such as the World Naked Bike Ride(s)).

How much nudity? Primitive societies were practical and pragmatic. Cant suggest total nudity in a Siberian winter, Would be workable in Tahiti. But I admire the well maintained, fit human body any time. Nothing to do with religion.

lecoq Level 4 Dec 19, 2017

I think we as a society need to move away from idealizing models with eatign disorders who have had all their imperfections Photoshoped out of the photos we see, andjust become more comfortable with how average people really look and not be disgusted by even the slightest imperfections.

I find it interesting that nudity laws were enacted over concerns about sex and sexual attraction, but almost all the negative comments here are in regards to not wanting to see naked fat people.

Yes, we are born nude but society dictates that we cover our bodies and make being nude in public or exposing certain parts to be a crime, Not meaning sexual but in general terms. There is no shame in the human body, we all have the same basic parts . I think we should all go natural buck ass naked , especially in the summer

I say, not in winter. It gets a little nippy, nippley out. Wouldn't want anyone getting frost bite. LOL

Yes, the two main purposes of clothing is warmth and protection. Clothes do serve a purpose, but when those purposes aren't really relevant, then clothes are not really needed.

Nudity should be allowed and accepted in some places, but not all. Love the Naked Bike Ride.

Yeah, I do htink that places of business shoudl be allowed to mandate dress codes for people who enter their business.

Are you doing the ride this year? I have done the Portland WNBR every year since 2008. Wouldn't miss it for the world. It's like being a kid again. Would love to have someone to share the ride with. Last year people went into the fountain in the riverside park down town at the end of the ride. It's like being a little kid again. Look for a video of it on youtube

Why not? Why hide parts that everyone knows are there?

Humans are unique in that when we face each other we can see our reproductive organs. Among animals showing each other reproductive organs is used for dominance displays and reproduction.

Nudity taboo is nearly universal as a result. You do not want to be triggering old animal instincts in other people casually.

Yes it should...im sry to all you overly sensitive ppl, but im not sry. Decency/censorship/prudeness are some of the things holding the human race back from real self discovery. I do not now or have i ever had a problem with naked ppl. That all they are so yea.

I'm all for it, given the right circumstances. As suggested above, as long as it not sexualized and regulated. There is always one or two bad eggs in any group that will join for nefarious reasons. I think climate may be more of a hurdle in my country, we have a deminished ozone and a very high rate of skin cancer.

I recommend Nutrogena sunc screen. The creme, not the spray. In Palm Springs with high temps above 110F, I only needed to apply it once, even though I went in and out of a pool. I've never burned while wearing it, but I have still tanned. Until I used it, I thought the idea of blocking burning rays while letting tanning rays through was just hype (It is just hype for most sun screens, but not this one). It is expensive though.

Anyway, tha twoudl be how to avoid burning and/or skin cancers.

Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: I believe so but in a kind of regulated manner. It may sound odd but as mentioned in some of the comments/replies the within the nudist/naturalist culture people carry around towels for when they sit down. However, if one legalizes nudity across the board not everyone who is now going to go around naked sometimes will abide by that standard. Also, it would bring into question many laws about decency and even sexual assault. Yes, there is nothing inherently indecent about the naked form but if nudity is legal across the board then people who get arrested for things like flashing may be able to make more of a case - "My coat just blew open, they took it wrong." "Nothing illegal about being naked, chicks shouldn't have looked" - or if people didn't like a person being naked they could claim they were behaving inappropriately; again the nudist culture around sexual nakedness would likely not transmit to the rest of society. Let's also not forget how it is legal for vendors to kick someone out for not wearing shoes or a shirt and the same would happen for nudists - so that may have to be dealt with as well. To help combat these issues there would have to some sort of regulation or additional caveats legal nudity (until there is a cultural shift large enough where these issues wouldn't be a problem) these regulations may be from anywhere to requiring someone to use a towel is nude to only being nude on public land.

I've read all the replies and yours is one that seems to be more thought out than the knee jerk responses a few person put out there. Our society could not handle an "overnight" change, but it would have to be adopted gradually with clear regulations for purposes of public safety (and hygiene) so that people could adjust and adapt in a gradual and sensible way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1727
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.