Agnostic.com

81 14

What is your favorite place you've ever lived?

As you can imagine, Arkansas isn't that great. Where would recommend to move and why? What did you like or not like about the different places you've lived or stayed for time?

EarthKate 5 Sep 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

81 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

North Epping, Sydney. Shared a house with a massive balcony overlooking the Lane Cove River National Park. Two minutes walk, and the loudest thing you could hear was birdsong. Good times.

Hating where you’ve lived all your life is normal. You’ve been there long enough to know all the bad crap in the area. But to someone else, it might be perfect.

I personally loved living on Ft. Leonard Wood in Missouri. It was quiet, not too many kids screaming, and just off base were some pretty damn good restaurants. If I was willing to drive an hour+, I could go to St. Louis or an hour in the opposite direction, I could get to Branson.

But it all really depends on what you like to do personally and if you can afford to live there. Personally, I’d love to move to Hawaii. But the cost of living is way out of my budget.

Did basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood. Although the trees were nice, the heat and humidity were not pleasant.

@NoMagicCookie I did basic there and I ended up getting stationed there as my last duty station. But I’m from Louisiana. So the heat and humidity didn’t bother me at all. Lol. In basic, they were canceling ranges and I was confused as it was like 90 degrees and 40% humidity. That’s a pleasant day where I’m from. ???

@Leo716 I'll never forget our walk back from bivouac. I was warned before Basic Training to fill my canteen and drink as much water as possible every time the water truck stops on the walk back. The truck (water buffalo) ran out of water about half way back so a lot of kids had no water for the last hour or so. If memory serves, the "wet bulb" (cut 4 inches of shoe-lace dip it in water and swing it around your head for two minutes) was 88 degrees. The look of disgust on our seargent's face when he turned around and looked back at us on the last hill before hitting camp was memorable. . . then his "Ok . . . um . . . just . . . go sit in the shade. If you have water share it with people." I, fully hydrated with more then a half full canteen of water was feeling great but when I turned around and looked back - - - there were people passed out on the road. I used a lot of my water dumping it on people that were passed out. . . .

@NoMagicCookie TRADOC got a lot more strict in the last few years. Even back in ‘07. When I was there in 2011, it got crazy because they were field testing all sorts of “New training” aspects. Cadre and Drill’s couldn’t yell at a trainee unless they were threatening safety. And running out of water is like taboo number 1. As a range medic, we were having to test water levels and bacteria levels in the water. You’d be surprised at how nasty some of those buffalos were. But I saw an entire command team either get transferred out of TRADOC or relieved of duty due to “unsafe training conditions”.

At least you did the good thing by helping some of your battle buddies. Heat stroke is no joke. I lucked out and was already acclimatized to the weather there. We started in May and I think we finished mid-July’ish. But some of my battle buddies from the North were having a lot of issues with the weather as well. And I forgot to say, thank you for your service. From one soldier to another.

@Leo716 Thank you as well. I have a great deal of respect for those in the medical core.

The greatest "life lesson" I picked up while in Basic Training was from a Dr. who taught us field first aid. - - He finished his hands-on lesson with a discussion on "I really don't even want to tell you about this because - - - (long list of bad outcome for a tourniquet)" he then asked us what we could use to build a tourniquet. Someone (thankfully, although I thought it, not I) stated "My Belt." "WRONG!" Shouted the Dr. "YOU need your belt. If you give up your belt YOU become a causality and others will have to take care of your "insert polite explative" . Your number one concern in the field is your own safety, then the safety of others. You use his belt. He won't be needing it any more." I have learned his lesson applies to more then just physical safety in the field but all aspects of life. I often share that story (watered down but including the long list of why not to use a tourniquet) with many students.

We only lost one recruit from my group. His name was Homie (from India). I'll never forget the last time I saw him. Training was almost over. It was the night before the "Confidence Course." I went into the open bay bathroom to find Homie distantly staring into the mirror above the sink. He looked extremely worried. . . "Homie, What's the matter man?" "I am verry verry worried that something terrible is going to happen tomorrow." he replied with a thick accent. "Don't worry, we're done. Tomorrow is just a fun day" I happily replies." get some sleep it's over." "Something verry terrible is going to happen to me tomorrow I know it." The next day the first obstacle to enter the "what I would consider entertainment park" was a large trunk suspended by two huge (ship to ship) ropes. The hundreds of pounds of the log was swung back and forth and the recruit was to jump on top and roll over it. . . . Homie jumped on top, froze with his head below the log so as the log swung back, Homie's head was caught between the ground and the log causing his spinal cord to be partially disconnected from his brain. Although he was still alive and they did bring him to a hospital where they drilled holes in his head with bolts attached to a halo to suspended him several inches above a bed but with that outcome, and no positive word about him, rather sure he didn't make it. Although I was not in the medical ranks, I did run across many stories of folk (outside the field of combat) that just didn't make it. Sounds like your time there was very good.

• Returning to the North after basic training made winters much less tolerable as I had acclimated to the South.

2500 ft loft in Greektown

Victoria,BC and Montreal,QC are both really nice cities. I loved London but it’s ridiculously expensive and crowded.

i think i liked best the campus of my first college, fairleigh dickinson university, in northern new jersey. it is a tree sanctuary and used to be a private estate, so the trees are gorgeous, the architecture (except for the newer buildings, for which no trees were cleared) is gorgeous -- georgian? maybe someone can tell me -- and i sort of came of age there, so it's meaningful to me in that way too. i don't know whether i would now enjoy living in the nearest town, madison, but new york city is a medium-length trip away, close enough for a day trip, so whatever madison lacks i could probably find in nyc. come to think of it, there were many annoyances about the part of brooklyn in which i once lived, largely because i was broke and ill and living in a tiny, overpriced room with a loft bed that took up most of the space, with three cats and facilities down the hall, but going into the city was the BEST!

not that i would say no to living in paris. i've been there but have not lived there.

g

Middle Earth.

I only lived in Montreal, Canada. But it's such a great city. So much to do and see

Cologne - Germany

Besides Lopez Island, Heidelberg Germany. Lived in the Altstadt (old city) 15 wonderful years.

Montana! I've been here since 1994, and absolutely love it. The area I reside in is mostly conservative and christian, but I've met some great people here, and the landscape is gorgeous!

London. God I miss living there...?

So far? Portland Oregon. Good transit in the tri-country area, and also lots of great places to hike in nature with lots of forests streams and lakes not too far outside the city.

Portland is also my favourite in the states (I actually lived over in Vancouver). I miss it horribly.

@Ozman Yeah, a couple years ago I got priced out of my Portlan dapartment, and I moved in with my sister in Battle Ground, WA... and I really miss living in Portland.

Cheltenham, England. While other Americans I worked with were traveling to France & Ireland, I took in as much of my surroundings as possible and built a lot of amazing friendships

Puget Sound, Washington state.
I've lived in Michigan, all over California, Texas and Illinois. Settled here in 1981. Love it!

.....the gulf islands. Its an interesting step back in time while most have access to cherished modern ammenities as well ?.

Kounipidiana Village minutes from the city of Chania, in the island of Crete, Greece. In the 90's. The wife was 7,000 miles away. Cost me a Divorce... I will do it again. It was like living on Spring Break from late February to late November. Except the Women were Sophisticated, European Young Ladies down to Earth to Party Hearty. There is Nothing like Island Living!!! Best time of my life. I was born in an Island after all! I just relocated to the city in a crater of the moon. Away from anyone that knows me! Can't smell the Ocean in the air!!! But it will do me fine. Until I am ready to return to Europe, maybe one of the Baleares Islands. Since I already lived it... I just want the noise of Party in the background. "Island Living fer Life!!!" Growing up in San Juan was not bad at all!!! I was the Prince of Santurce. Despised by all the girls in my neighborhood because I never dated anyone from my hood! Thank You Poster for the Memories!!!

My favorite place to live is Planet Earth.

Oh, you want me to be more specific? Okay ... How about Washington state? The land is beautiful, and the people are generally liberal. Very refreshing, after living in the "conservative" Bible Belt.

(P.S. I put the word 'conservative' in quotes because I don't know what it is they are trying to conserve. Certainly not the government; they want to reduce it to the size that they can drown it in the bathtub. Certainly not the environment; they want to continue polluting it. Certainly not human rights, the rule of law, or American values; they trash them as often as they can. Oh, the ignorance!)

My place.

I’ve lived in CA, IL, and NJ, and I’ve spent a lot of time in OR and WA. I would move to OR or WA in a heartbeat.

UUNJ Level 8 Sep 8, 2018

I've lived in 11 states in the USA and spent extensive time in Great Britain.
I've been to 48 of the States in the USA and 63 countries total

I can be happy anywhere I can garden, have internet, and make money....and where humans can live and work freely by their choice.

Santa Barbara, CA.

BD66 Level 8 Sep 8, 2018

Huntington Beach, CA.

Every place I have lived have it's own magic and place in my heart. All different and each unique in it's own way. I think any place is what we make of it.

That would be Burlington, VT where I lived for 3 years. Always something to do, had a circle of friends and beautiful scenery. Where I am living now with Dan is a geographically beautiful area and only 2 hours away.

None of the places I've lived at so far. I grew up in the Vancouver (BC) area, and most people would say how beautiful Vancouver is. Ugh, not if you live there. Rainy, gloomy days most of the year, high crime and drug use rates, crowding, high cost of living, terrible transportation system. It's fine if you're a tourist who just gets to see the pretty and trendy places.

I live outside of Edmonton now in the country, and I do like it out here, away from people, lots of space. But I do have to deal with the inconveniences of country living (long distances to anything, higher costs for foods and goods, very conservative minded population).

I lived in Vancouver from 1971 - 1987. I loved it. Housing prices and overcrowding are crazy now, though.

@Stephanie99 I lived there from 1983 to 1997. My parents bought their house for around $200,000 in 1983. Now that same house is worth around 1.25 million. Actually that is just the property value because the house is old and falling apart. If the house is fixed up or in good order it would be worth a lot more.

@graceylou My dad still lives there and I have a lot of friends there. My parents bought a house in 1972 that my dad sold in 1990 with an enormous mark up after my mother died. Then my dad did a lot of buying and selling and can afford a house in the UBC area. Any of my friends with houses are in the outskirts. Except for one whose parents bought her a house back in 1990. I won't be moving back there with those prices.

@Stephanie99 Yup my parents live there. My brothers too. That would be the only reason I go there. Yes, and some of my friends from childhood as well. My parents still live in the same house they bought for the family in 1983. They are in the process of selling it now because they need to move to a care home soon.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:174185
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.