Agnostic.com

43 6

How did you become an Atheist/Agnostic.etc?

For me i didn't become an agnostic , I just realized that I've always been an agnostic before... In fact i didn't even know that I'm agnostic, I didn't believe any superstitious as a child, i didn't believe in ghosts and other supernatural being.. I think i'm just lucky that i find science to be more interesting than joining religions.. I also got open minded friends they are very open in discussions even though some of them are indeed religious.. Evolution is introduced by my uncle since i was 8 year's old, in fact some of my relatives don't have any religion.. I guess that kind of thing kinda impacted my views on the world..

GlaslowII 4 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was raised in a very catholic household and then sent away to a horribly abusive catholic youth ranch for troubled teen girls. After three years on the ranch going through countless inhumane traumas and even being exorcised I officially turned my back on any idea of religion.

I began to feel twangs of empathetic dissonance seeing good and decent people who happened to hold different beliefs from me as totally unworthy of going to hell ... a good God wouldn't judge so harshly, I thought. That may have been the beginning of my rethinking of the attributes of God. But it was the problem of evil that broke the spell entirely, and opened my eyes, for the first time, to a life without God.

I never became an Atheist, I always was one. As a child, when adults told me about god I just looked for proof before believing, just like with everything else, and there never was any.

I was born one!

I was a questioner starting at a young age, but had a devout belief in God/Jesus as a Catholic until I was 9 years-old. I was a logical-thinking child. I did not understand how just one group would go to heaven and other good people would go to hell. I could not understand the claims about God being all-knowing, hating evil and all powerful, but let child be abused from parents even if they prayed for it to stop. In college all the science that I learned supported my view that if there was a power higher than a human, it was humans as a group. It also did not help that I went to Catholic school, and saw "The Scary Dying Suffering Jesus" every day at church and before school. Really, a dying suffering dude, at a place for children, it is very odd when you think about it.

I also remember walking the long walk to school from church in long cold winters. The girls wore flouncy skirts with just tights and were not allowed to wear pants like the boys, after I while,Then, I also figured something was not quiet right with the whole church situation but could not name it. My lack of belief, as another person stated, became deeper as I was able to think abstractly as a child.

I considered becoming an catholic earlier this year. There things in the baptist belief system that didn't make logical sense to me as well. I'm glad I avoided that train wreck. Since, I questioned the belief in god since my early 30s. At 41, I stopped believing in fairy tales and began my enlightened journey.

@freedom41 I always thought going to Catholic School, would knock the "GOD" right out of a person. Thanks for your comment.

My brain works in mysterious ways..... ??

One day in my late 40's I just woke up to realize that I didn't believe in the Christian dogma. It was shocking to me. I felt like the rug had literally been pulled out from under me and I was falling and. falling down the rabbit hole like Alice. I had been a believer I think, hook , line and sinker all my life. The accumulation of things along the way finally made it through my intelligence and blew the fog away. Free at last.

I was raised Presbyterian but never did believe. At age 17 my church group sent me to Alaska to help build a church. They did not know I was not a believer--they just assumed I was.

Had a 18 year old partner and we lived in a fishing village and ate fish every day. We worked 6 days a week and then church on Sunday.
One Sunday I was too exhausted to go to the church. This made my partner quite upset. He thought
I had a duty to go to church. So, after some argument I blurted out "I am not a believer!" Right then he blindsided me and hit me in the head. I was bleeding profusely and no continuation of the fight.

Later my partner was sent to another place and I stayed in Petersburg Alaska. [this was long ago even before Alaska was a state. ] I was told I was not to work on the church any more and instead was to read the book of John. I was happy to do this. So, I read that book but also read parts of the Old Testament. And then I was very sured there was no Christian God of love.

Started asking questions at Sunday school that were not answered, was discouraged from asking those questions and told that I should not question gods plan and\or reasoning!

Thankfully even though my parents are Christians, they encouraged me to think for my self and never criticized my questioning everything!

I was about 5 or 6 when I admitted to my family I didn’t believe in Santa Claus. They were pretty forthcoming about it. I figured if Christmas celebrated Santa and Jesus that if one didn’t exist the other couldn’t exist either (oh the logic of a child). I kept that connection secret because I thought I wouldn’t receive any presents if I didn’t play along ?
It wasn’t until a few years later that I figured out what an Atheist was, better arguments for my position, that there were more people like me and that I could be a good person without a celestial overlord. Some of us are just so made that we can’t believe!

Donald trump became president so I said fuck it I'm going to be atheist ?? and I found out Noah's ark was bullshit and Adam and eve.

I was born an atheist. Like you, I have never believed in a god(s).

Well, since NO child is actually BORN religious, only to parents or a parent who MAY/ not be religious, the child is usual forcibly introduced to religion whilst it is still too young to realise it is happening.
Yes, I'm sure there is at least someone who will disagree with my above comment, however, in the 164 child births I have personally assisted as a Mid-Wife, I have never once witness a new-born emerge from the mother wearing ANY religious insignia what-so-ever, crossing itself or offering up a prayer in any shape nor form.
I was born into a family where my Father was an Atheist and my Mother came from a background deeply involved in some very ODD variation of the Seventh Day Adventist type belief system, i.e. no using electricity, etc, on Sundays, etc.
She made great efforts to ensure that I was sent, every Sunday to 'receive' religious 'instruction' but my natural curiosity, fostered by my Dad, won out every time and without exception my asking questions, etc, got me EXPELLED from Sunday Schools and from School Scripture Classes.
I still have almost EVERY signed letter of expulsion that I was ever given to take home for my parents to read, expelled from every church including the Catholics right through to the Methodists, Lutherans, etc, etc.
Of course every expulsion got me a verbal tirade,and often physical punishment from my mother, but my father would simply say to me, " Keep it up my boy, you are learning to THINK for your self, ask questions and expect answers, that is the best way to really learn." That is something I passed on to my daughter and she continued it on relentlessly no matter what.

I heard people reading from the bible and suspected it was crap. Then I learned to read myself and knew that for a fact.

It was part of my cultural baggage, being raised Catholic in a traditional, Polish Catholic family. Church on Sundays, and eight years in a Catholic school (a really good, progressive, humane one without any of the stereotypical abuses). As I reached the "age of reason," however, I began to think for myself, and also did some traveling to places with other cultures, plus had an older sister whose books on philosophy I borrowed. The old ideas just became unconvincing and nonsensical as my horizons broadened, and have remained so ever since. Boom!

I have been a none believer since twelve. I just thought it out...rejected the false accepted the truth. We are just high functioning animals. I do not need a God to make me feel special...or to install morals and values...in fact, I don't need a god for
anything. I am the architect of my existence, master of my destiny. So are you.

It started in my first church school class. It was about the walls of Jericho. I just was so sceptical that marching and blowing horns could have worked. Anyway, it just never really "took".

I called myself an agnostic until I realized that even though I tried to create some religious belief that was self-consistent and compatible with physics, I still wouldn't believe in god(s).

God created the entire Universe and doesn't interfere (violating physics) using miracles? Does a god, working within the constraints of physics, deserve the title?

So now, the only time I entertain thoughts of gods is when I read about demigods in Manga or watch Anime. I even support the protagonist struggling against "entity-X" in "The Evil of Tanya".

Hahahaha that's awesome, By the way I love anime like you.

Good for you, To paraphrase Hawking's statement: Yes no one can prove or disprove the existence of God. All one can do is to provide reasonable explanation based on Science. This is utterly wonderful enough to fulfill the mysteries of existence and console ourselves that God is unnecessary to live a happy,satisfying and morally upright manner.

Hey bro... Nice comment!
By the way I'm also a pinoy like you..
But now I'm currently living in America..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:175563
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.