Agnostic.com

28 4

Superstition

What, if any, were some superstitious beliefs that you have encountered? Bad luck to open an umbrella in the house. If you met a red haired person while going fishing, you would catch nothing. Not walking under a ladder and such like.

Happyheretic 7 Sep 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The one about finding about finding pennies heads up. I know that is bunch of bs. I wonder if that was made up by religious fools. One day I found 6 of 8 pennies heads up and co worker I couldn't stand showed up for work any way.

My wife believed that Friday 13th was unlucky and that 7 was her lucky number (she died in 2007). I had a friend who believes she can cure illnesses with crystals.

My ex is full of them. One of the silliest - no shoes on the table. Not even new ones. In a box.

A dropped knife means company is coming. Guests should always leave through the same door they entered.

The one that runs rampant here in San Antonio, and does a lot of damage, he’s to do with eggs and “ojo”.
Rather than take a sick kid to the dr, people around here have a tendency to rub an egg on the kid, and crack it open to see if it has blood in it. If it’s a blood egg, supposedly someone has cursed the kid.
Anyone who’s kid dies because they rubbed an egg on them rather than take them to a doctor should be charged with negligent homicide.

Apparently my phone won’t let me edit my comments, and also likes to auto correct whose to who’s.

my guy is superstitious about the number 19 because bad things have happened to him on the 19th of a given month. each of his parents died on a 19th; he got a bad result from an application on a 19th. other stuff happened on a 19th. i don't really know other people who have confided or displayed superstitions to me, and if i have any myself i am not aware of it. i have always had black cats. beautiful creatures, and loving, they are!

g

@maturin1919 haha yep he would certainly balk at your name! he's not a bad guy and he'd give you the benefit of the doubt, but he'd probably pronounce you "maturin that number that number"!

g

When I was in the service we had the Philippines as a liberty port sometimes we would get our haircut off base. I have a genetic abnormality with my eyebrows some of them grow very long. The barbers would not trim them because they thought it meant luck. The Philippine women won't go to bed with a wet head because they think it will make you blind.

I've wondered whether some silly superstition started because of someone's OCD. Hey, Hank won the lottery after he picked up a penny. Picking up pennies must be good luck.

Hank has OCD and picks up everything. Odds were just as likely that he would have gotten hit by a bus and pennies would be as conspicuous as cigarette butts.

I think the daftest one is the black cat. Depending on who's mythology you use determines whether it's good or bad luck!!!
There's plenty though, some are taken seriously some are ridiculous:
Don't walk under a ladder
If you put your knickers/pants on back to front leave them
No number 13s
Throwing salt over you shoulder for luck
Waft a money spider round your head three times for good luck
If you see a Buddha statue rub the belly

and on and on -)

The black cat is a good example of how crazy this nonsense is. There's one about magpies and I think that it depends where you are, odd number is bad luck and in other places even number is bad luck!! Batshit crazy stuff!!!

@Happyheretic Yeah the magpies, this is how I know it

One for sorrow
Two for joy
Three for a girl
Four for a boy
Five for silver
Six for gold
Seven for a secret never to be told

WTF!!!!

I work in healthcare, we are loaded with them. Full moon increases behavior, death comes in 3s. Don't believe any of it.

Only one that stuck with me, my gma used to tell me when I was setting the table that the knife had to have the blade to the plate. Facing the blade out meant you wanted to cut that person. Still fix knives when they are "wrong".

OwlRN Level 4 Sep 13, 2018

Here in New Mexico you see some of the older houses and even churches with doors and window frames painted blue to keep the bruja's (witches)out.

I have two black cats that were born on Halloween. I push them in front of the superstitious.

I live in the South, so in addition to the things already mentioned, we have some superstitions handed down from slaves. The most well-known one is that if it rains while the sun is shining, it's a sure sign the devil is beating his wife.
No, I never believed this garbage.

Oh, and that you should paint the ceiling of your porch "haint blue" because it confuses spirits and keeps them from entering your house.

Ooh, one more. When someone dies you cover mirrors and clocks to prevent their spirit from getting lost on the way to heaven.
Man, I'm disgusting myself.

The umbrella in the house one, broken mirrors, walking under a ladder, crossing paths with a black cat, stepping on a crack, stepping on the white lines on a baseball field, eating soup on NYE bringing you money luck. It's endless stupidity.

Superstitutions are fun...sepecially since some are based on reasonable experiences...seeing someone actually believing in them is sadding...part of the evil of christianity, is encouraging people to believe in myths, encouraging them to discard rational thought....

So many, it's ridiculous.

Never wear gray underwear.

Some superstitions , are simply common sense . Walking under a ladder , either with someone on it , or having just left supplies on it , can result in you knocking things off of the ladder , and possibly onto yourself . Some make no real sense at all .

I will always try to avoid walking under a ladder if I can, you don't know what may get dropped. I was hit by a falling bunch of keys once and received cut above my eye. My friend's son was hit by a falling scaffold pole and spent several weeks in hospital. It's rare that for these things to happen, but why take the risk?

The only superstition l have is wearing a chain that has two pieces on it, each belonging to my parents. For some reason l feel uncomfortable if l go out and it is not around my neck. I have only done that twice in over two decades.

in the theatre, we would not say "good luck" before a performance, preferring to say "break a leg." wishing someone good luck was purportedly bad luck! there is also the theatrical superstition against uttering the name of the play "macbeth" backstage. one says "that scottish play."

g

What's the old saying? Superstition brings bad luck.

I'm not superstitious

Last week... come to think about it.... Thursday I have my appointment for my passport... the picture done in CVS was terrible, for 3 days I looked at it and did not liked it. But it what it was. So I went to my appointment and the picture was rejected by Postal Personal for being "blurry" so I went to a photo shop next door to the Postal Office.... very enough satisfied that is the picture currently used in my profile and I may use their services for some homage for my departed daughter. Friday I had a pallet from Maryland delivered to Las Vegas last week... only item broken was an item that after I gave it to my ex gf to give it to her artist sister I decided to keep it and I asked her for the artist loft back because the shipment was going in a pallet, shipped by my nephew. It was the only item broken!!! Sometimes the stars align and some times they don't. I got my money back on CVS and will buy an artist loft for my ex gf sister. I may be an Asshole but I am Fair. The stars can go and fuck themselves when I am not looking.

My uncle says it's bad luck to put a hat on a bed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:176650
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.