Agnostic.com

135 5

Do atheists observe Halloween?

Since, most don't believe in ghosts and other silly stuff that goes along with the holiday. Do we still observe some of it for the children. I rather ignore it like the rest of the religious holidays.

freedom41 9 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's my second favorite day of the year. My disbelief has no affect on my love of dressing up in costumes, or loving the macabre decorations... It's the one day of the year you get to pretend to be whomever or whatever you want and nobody gives you a bunch of crap for it... Just candy. You get candy for being someone else for the day... Win win.

Nothing religous about Halloween so why not.

Halloween is the Celtic celebration of Samhainn so, a pagan celebration

Celebrated mostly in America though, its not popular in the same form in the UK even.

I personally have never considered Halloween a religious holiday. I do not believe in vampires or werewolves but I do enjoy the ritual of getting dressed up as mythical creatures or just something odd like a hobo with a shotgun or some pop culture character and partying or going trick or treating with my kids. Is that observing a religious holiday? Can Christmas be about the myth of Saint Nick and the joy of spending time with family and friends, exchanging gifts, eating lots of good food...Of course I am not an Atheist but why does it matter? Can you be Atheist and still embrace the meaning of a religious holiday separate from the question of God? Does being an Atheist or an Agnostic preclude the idea of finding meaning in something even as you fully understand its lack of realism?

Quarm Level 6 Oct 18, 2018

Halloween is the best. While I've known plenty of religious zealots that refused to celebrate it, I've never known anyone that did celebrate it link to it with any religious connotation. It's the cosplay holiday for those that can't actually cosplay officially.

Atheists aren't afraid to have fun because we don't think that we will burn forever for having a drink or eating a candy bar. I have also read that Atheists are generally among the most law abiding citizens. This is probably true. The only devil we have to blame if we do something wrong is numero uno.

Angee Level 4 Oct 13, 2018

This one does!

It's psychologically useful for people to get outside of themselves every once in a while.

It's a great excuse for breaking your diet and eating candy.

Halloween is my favorite holiday

Hell yes.

OCJoe Level 6 Oct 8, 2018

I consider it to be a secular holiday for most these days. It's fun. So, yes, I enjoy Halloween.

I am an author. I write fiction. Sometimes my fiction is about the supernatural. I am an atheist. Enough said.

I celebrate the holidays, just not the meaning of the holidays.

I was going to say the same.

I love Halloween!!!! It's one of the reasons I became an atheist. I was raised in and went to a WELS ( Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod) school until 7th grade. October 31 is also the day we celebrated the Lutheran Independence day.

We could dress up for school and have a fun day but 90% of the day was what was "Really important". We couldn't have any devil, zombie gross, ghost, Catholic costumes.

So like many kids I had one costume for school and then the creepy one for trick or treat.

I love the ghosts and goblins just like i love science fiction. I don't believe in them, but a day that allows me to eat and give out candy and try to scare or get scared is fantastic.

this one does! I go on the halloween parade and see the fireworks over teh sea which is spectacular- children don't come intoour building as its sheltered accommodation& away from the main road

If it was down to me I wouldn't take any notice of it at all but my 11 year old daughter is into it. She's awaiting the zombie apocalypse so sees it as training (of sorts) Trick or Treat? 🙂

Why not? We love fun and holidays! 🙂

Why not? It`s awesome fun!

Della Level 6 Oct 7, 2018

I have always enjoyed Halloween. It never had religious overtones for me.

I love Halloween!!

I'll celebrate just to celebrate. I'm enjoying a beer or four on Columbus Day Eve Eve.

well I don't beleive in the stupid thing as hell so just have fun and hand out candy to the kids that come to my door

Halloween is our Favorite holiday. But the we started dating on Halloween 31 years ago. We have never looked to it as literal or religious. But just as a good time.

Scary movies - costumes - dressing up - fun for adults and kids, candy and decorations with choice as to whether you opt in or out. What's not to like?

It's just engaging your creativity not your belief system.

The only part that was religious (when I was forced to attend Mass) - was All Souls Day - November 1st - you went to a Catholic Mass on that Day.

Halloween has zero to do with Christian religion and a ton to do with old superstition and some Wiccan beliefs. (Pagan Beliefs - etc.).

I'm good with all of that. I hope I never get too stuffy for it.

I didn't stick around long to observe the catholic holiday that you named and I'm glad I didn't. It's more important to enlightened than brain washed.

@freedom41 My family was Roman Catholic. I can't argue that they thought that's where you got morals from. I could explain it to them now - but at that time that was common thinking.

I won't be angry about that. But the time spent in Church would have been better spent on more Sci Fi or something? lol Maybe some HP Lovecraft.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:195160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.