Agnostic.com

135 5

Do atheists observe Halloween?

Since, most don't believe in ghosts and other silly stuff that goes along with the holiday. Do we still observe some of it for the children. I rather ignore it like the rest of the religious holidays.

freedom41 9 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Halloween is my favorite holiday, next to christmas!! Fun fun fun! P.S. I believe in ghosts!??

Oh heck yeah,,, just another reason to have a party..

Most would as most celebrate Christmas too, or at least the giving or exchanging presents.

That is what Christmas should be for. Along with spending time with family. I wish we could rename that day. It would really piss off the christains.

the real thing about holidays is for family to get together

@benhmiller Yes, I believe it too, however it is also very sad for those who do not have any family or who are not in touch with them.

Personally, Xtian Celebrations mean nothing at to me, I do make an effort to give my nephew Henry something for Easter and Xmas as I did for my daughter.
But since both Easter and Halloween are both one of those celebrations plagiarized from far earlier and old cultural belief systems by Xtianity anyway, just as is Xmas btw, I see them as being just another ' show grabber' utilised by both religions ( to attempt to get in extra congregation members) and the Manufacturing Companies and Retail Stores to boost sales.
Even the title of Pope in the Catholic Church was plagiarized from the Roman Empire where the Pontifex Maximus ( the great Bridge Builder,being the translated meaning) was the High Priest and Chief Augur of the Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus ( The Greatest and Best), the College of Cardinals is also derive from the Collegia of Rome, collegia were Organised Gangs of Thugs, Murderers, Thieves based in the various urban areas of Ancient Rome who preyed upon people, did the often unsavory biddings of the Senate/ Emperors, ran Protection/Extortion rackets, etc, etc.
The Catholic Church, it would seem, based itself on a very poor white-washing attempt of the truth and facts about the city and peoples that it first swallowed up.

I LOVE halloween. I still dress up if I can.

Unlike Xmas and Easter, Halloween seems to have lost ALL of its religious overtones. It's just a fun time to dress in costumes and go trick-or-treating. I see nothing religious in the way we celebrate the modern holiday.

Spooky things, costumes, candy. It's fun. I trawl Netflix for horror movies and hang up pretty spiderweb decorations and go to loads of events.

I don't celebrate anything, just out of preference, I mean it's kind of hypocritical of me celebrate something I just don't really believe in.... It's a waste of my time and energy....

Level 1 Oct 31, 2021

Sure why not it's just a day of fun and costumes. I can observe the christmas holiday as well but not the religious aspect.

Might not "observe" it, but I often have fun. Is that allowed these days?

Halloween is about candy and scary shit. Dia de los Muertos is about honoring our ancestors. Neither is actually religious. We celebrate both. Because we like candy, skellingtons and honoring our ancestors.

Why not? Parents and kids dress up and canvass their neighborhood to get free sh-t. It's not more complicated than that - doesn't need to be and so yeah, I observe it with my grand daughters.

I once observed small children that were too scared to come up to the door because we made a pretty scary front yard.

Snail Level 2 Oct 25, 2018

I don't think Halloween is something that you have to "observe" and it really is not a religious holiday. There might be some wacko fringe churches in the US who try to make it into a Pagan Holiday to try to keep children from having any fun with anything that is not church.

Of course I don’t acknowledge the existence of any of that nonsense but like Xmas and thanksgiving, it’s more tradition. For Halloween, I go to a gala at The Museum of Natural History.

That sounds awesome! Holidays should be a celebration of life. I can't think of a better way to celebrate than looking back at the history of nature.

It’s more an American thing, although it has partially migrated... its still not so popular all over the world.

it's not American, it's Celtic

Yes. I love all the holidays I grew up with. I just see them as a celebration of life, our history and family togetherness. These celebrations are so much older than our current patriarchal, monotheistic religions. For instance, Yuletide was celebrated long before it became another term for Christmas.

Angee Level 4 Oct 13, 2018

Halloween, as it is practiced in the USA, is not very religious. Most view it as a chance to party and wear a costume. Of course kids enjoy dressing up for candy as well.

Not a fan but it doesn't have to be a religious or superstitious holiday. It also doesn't have to be diabetic inducing. It can just be a good excuse to dress up like a slutty or scary whatever. Raise your freak flag.

It all depends if you want candy or not.

I don't consider it a religious holiday..

Hell, I love Christmas.

godef Level 7 Oct 7, 2018

Yes. It's all in good fun.

Maybe don't worry about it? The Halloween most in the US celebrate has no connection to All Saints' Eve which is followed by All Saints Day. Don't know many religious people that celebrate, who know the religious significance, or the fact that it has pagan roots.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:195160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.