Agnostic.com

24 3

Do You Believe The Apollo 11 Moon Landing Actually Happened?

I just returned home from watching the movie "First Man" and after watching this movie, it sparked a huge debate between myself and a friend on if the apollo 11 mission actually happened.

I personally don't believe it actually happened because i find it odd that we have never returned to the moon. i believe this mission was one of the biggest lies ever told. My friend believes the Apollo 11 Mission actually happened.

What Do You Think?

• 64 votes
  • 2 votes
twshield 8 Oct 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"i find it odd that we have never returned to the moon" - but we did. There was another manned moon landing only a few months after Apollo 11, and then four more up until 1972.

The Apollo program is said to be the largest commitment of resources any nation has ever made during peacetime, costing around $25.4 billion; adjusted for inflation, that'd be somewhere in the region of $107 billion today. It should be remembered that during the late 60s the USA wasn't really at peace but engaged in the Cold War, during which the USA and the USSR tried to face one another down not only through military might but also through which was most scientifically advanced - and the USSR had stolen a march on the US by being the first to put a satellite in orbit, first to put a living creature in orbit, first to put a human being in space and the first to put a manmade object on the surface of the moon.

It's therefore extremely likely that a fairly large part of Congress' decision to approve funding was not so much to further scientific knowledge but to score a massive propaganda win over "those damn Russkies". Then, towards the middle of the 1970s with both sides supporting opposite factions in conflicts around the world, the Cold War became all about who had the biggest stick: the US massively increased its production of nuclear weapons and, by the late 70s, had more than the USSR for the first time. It is possible, then, that the reason there have been no manned moon landings (there have been numerous, far cheaper, unmanned missions) since 1972 is not that we can't do it but that we can't afford it because so much of the GDP of what were then the richest nations on Earth was diverted into the production of nuclear weapons.

Jnei Level 8 Oct 17, 2018

This is the best reply by far! Kudos! IIRC the satellite was called the Sputnick 1. We have bee in outer space. Look at GPS. MOST of the time it goes off the WASS system. That's a government satellite used for GPS. The only other one I know of is RTK. That's private, and is used for commericial applications like farmers where you need to be accurate sub 1".

@TheGreatShadow The first satellite was indeed Sputnik 1, launched on the 4th of October in 1957 - it remained in orbit for a little over two months, sparking the "Sputnik Crisis" when the US and much of the rest of the West panicked because the Russians had beaten them to it, which in turn inspired the creation of NASA.

The first living creature was, of course, the unfortunate Laika, a stray dog picked up on the streets of Moscow (for decades, it was claimed she survived six days before dying as a result of oxygen deprivation and the Kremlin initially said the spacecraft carried a device to humanely euthanise her, in fact, as revealed in 2002, she lasted only a few hours before dying of overheating). The man was Yuri Gagarin, who orbited the Earth once on the 12th of April in 1961 and died a little under seven years later in a plane crash. The first manmade object on the Moon (and on any celestial body other than Earth) was Lunik 2 (or Luna 2) on the 13th of September 1959; there had been ten failed missions, by Russia and the US, prior to that.

@Jnei Didn't NASA also put a monkey into space? It's clear you know more about space exploration than I do. If you want to talk about WWII, that might be different.

@TheGreatShadow The US was putting monkeys onto rockets before NASA even existed - the first was Albert, who reached an altitude of 63km aboard a modified German V2 in 1948; he's sometimes called the first primate astronaut but didn't make it as far as the Karman Line at 100km altitude, which is generally considered the "start of space". Albert II, his successor, reached 134km and therefore was put into space in 1949 - but did not orbit.

The US, France and Russia, working together on the Bion program, were still sending monkeys into space in the late 90s, incidentally. The last monkey known to have visited space was an Iranian one in 2013.

Do you believe in satellites, launching of rockets..... With actual people inside? Do you believe in airplanes? Why wouldn't you believe we went to the moon. It's not like it's impossible or anything.....

The Moon landing was real, we have the rocks and the regolith to prove it. As for not going back, this is also not true. Apollo 12, 14, 15, 16, and 17 returned. NASA runs on money bestowed upon it by our government. When they don't have the funding for such an endeavor then it doesn't happen. 12 men set foot on the moon.

Gohan Level 7 Oct 17, 2018

@twshield My you just will not allow your mind to open. The only real conspiracy is that of denying truth. Why are you so mad that we went to the moon , mad enough to say it did not happen. We have laser reflectors on the moon with which we now measure distance from the earth. And we find the moon is leaving our orbit by 1.5 inches per year. Eventually we will loose the moon and off we go
To deny this is just like voting for trump. No facts, no reality and just distrust along with hate.

@twshield All science is true my friend , that is why it is called SCIENCE Do you know what science is? Look it up Now non science people may lie and the pharma industry is a perfect example. A science PHD barely graduates from college and their grades keep them out of real science. So pharma offers them a few hundred thousand dollars to create a scientific paper asserting science is wrong. This is NOT science my friend , it is human corruption. Science never , ever lies. Hell science still claims that we do not know it gravity is real. And that is correct, we have no evidence of gravity nor can we locate the graviton, the gravity boson.

@twshield Falsifying is what the sin is. Science did not falsify anything The interpretation was falsified. That is why we must understand what science is and support it. Lying happens on everything but Things still fall to the earth though many claim gravity is not real. And in fact we do not know if gravity is real but we do know things fall . What you proved is that science is manipulated by lying people , Science itself is very real Thanks for clarifying what I have been saying.

@twshield Regarding cancer research, yes big pharma has once again betrayed real science. I subscribe to Scientific American and read it thoroughly each month. I see the real science and understand what I read, Perhaps if you began reading about science in the same fervor you deny it, you may find yourself a new frontier. Cancer is not a single cell that can be identified , Cancer is a huge range consisting of many types of chemistry, physiology and other variables. If someone came up with a universal cure, you know darn well they would be perhaps the richest person in history. It is just that no cure has been found yet the progress is stunning. I am recovering from cancer myself and thankfully the new techniques, scientifically trialed, work. Thanks to science I am doing well.

@twshield YES and as I said it does not discredit science at all. That is the fact and you agree with me on this. such as the president claiming all the scientist are a hoax regarding climate change. Trump has people believing science is politically motivated and that is just not true.. People are politically motivated and will cheat to get their goals. Some even cheat the one truth we have, Science

FFS - I joined Agnostics.com to talk with people with a degree of intellect.
Honestly, there is so much stuff on either Youtube or similar discussion places that show the moon-deniers to be totally out of their tree.
Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh, but this is 2018, and anti-moon landers and flat earthers or way up their with the most Fundamentalist Theists.
If you are genuinely a moon landing skeptic, I am happy to debate it in a level headed way despite my antipathy. Here is just one discussion to start off with if anyone wants to sincerely look at reasons

Well said, YouTube is full of science deniers and conspiracy nut jobs. Of course rebuttal videos conclusively debunk the conspiracy theories. But like religious beliefs many will not accept the evidence. It's dogma in another guise.

I do not doubt the lunar missions, but this clip has issues. It seems to have it's own mission from the onset. And in the image they use to show why the stars aren't shown, they include the sun, where the original did not. What a huge glaring(!) distortion.

Of course! How could they get every country that had a space program to go along with faking it? The USSR was our sworn enemy back then. & after all this time, at least one of the thousands of people involved would have let something slip.

Carin Level 8 Oct 17, 2018

god please help these people

yes. it happened. our not returning to the moon is not even evidence, much less proof, of some hoax. that's a silly reason to think it never happened. your friend is right.

g

@twshield then everything that happened out of your eye- and earshot is unbelievable. every time someone tells you a personal experience, you need to disbelieve it because that person hasn't proven his/her assertion. i lived for 10 years in japan and i can't prove to you 100 percent that i did, so i might be lying (i'm not) and so you will assume i AM lying (just as you assume the moon landing is a lie). sorry, but this is 1. your business, what you believe but also 2. ridiculous.

g

@twshield documentation isn't proof. documentation can be faked. if you were not there for the pouring of each and every sidewalk, the ones you never saw poured might not be real.

g

@twshield yep often. so how do you know which is and which isn't? there is visual documentation of the moon landing. but i will tell you what i have no documentation of at all: your ability to hold an argument that makes sense. i am not trying to be offensive. i am stating an observation. i have stuff to do today (i cannot document that; you'll have to trust me.) i don't work for the government (any more) and i am not concerned with legal documentation of anything we've been discussing. i'm going to leave you to your incorrect apprehension of the moon landing. it is not actually my job to prove to you that it happened, and i suspect you would poo-poo the proof anyway if i had it. since i was not personally involved in it, i have nothing for you to poo-poo.

g

This is one of those conspiracy theories that is most easily debunked.

They left stuff up there, you can still see it.

What is it with this website and conspiracy nonsense recently? First 9/11, then this. I'm gonna see a Kennedy post tomorrow huh?

@twshield Here's a site with a guide! You'll need a decent telescope.

[skyandtelescope.com]

@twshield Not all the answers, just a guide for you to see for yourself. Do you have a telescope? If not, visit an observatory.

You seem to have already made up your mind, though, honestly. That's not what skepticism is, but I'll let you alone.

@twshield

@Xuande Ah, but what if NASA and the aliens (and the Freemasons and Jews, probably) have put a massive high-definition screen in orbit at the Lagrange point between the Earth and Moon, showing an image of the Moon with the various stuff that was left up there Photoshopped in...? Gotta keep an open mind, maaaaan!

@Jnei Like ... but hear me out. What if it did happen, but they made us think that it didn't happen, like the way you said, because they found out the secret to the illuminati lizards that rule over us up there? Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

@Xuande I'll reply in a minute, someone's at the door - hmm, funny-looking fellas...

@Jnei naw, those are just Observers.

Oh my, asking if truth is truth. My what a world we have come into. Science is not fraud, nor is it political
Science is true whether you believe it of not.

EMC2 Level 8 Oct 17, 2018

@twshield nope, we don't. However they preach of a god that is loving and yet show actions of no such thing. But to out right preach hate and conspiracy is just so foolish I never thought the USA would be like this but under trump we are just that. He must go

Yes, the mission happened for sure. I believe we landed men on the moon.

These kind of conspiracy theories crack me up.

Considering that we did it to show up the USSR (and China) I woudl think if htey faked it, we woudl hve been called on it. Also, unlike many other conspiracy theories, there is no contradictory or inconsistencies in the sequence of events of the "official story". In the case of those who dont' think it happened they have to buy into a story made up out of whole cloth, which contradicts a story that already makes sense.

I will say, that granted the level of technology at th e time, it ws pretty incredible that things went as right as they did. I think th Apollo missions were ended in part because at the level of technology of the time, sooner or later luck would run out, as it almost did with Apollo 13, and they didn't want to face a probable disaster.

A fact is not a matter of belief - it just is. Think what you want - ignore facts at your peril.

My great uncle worked for NASA as a parent attorney. He knew all the astronauts personally. He certainly told the family after he retired that it was real. He was very quiet about the strange things that happened and would not talk about the possibility of alien life. We think that in those cases he was indeed hiding something. He did tell the family that we had nothing to worry about?

Who was the mouth breather that voted no? May he/she fell off the end of the earth.

I believe it happened, and I also believe it was staged. Yes, I believe in aliens, but irregardless of that, if I was in charge of the thing, would I want to take a chance to broadcast dead American astronauts on live TV? I think we went, but fake footage was created to act as filler or to be used in case a cover up was needed, or to hide live events occurring. People seem to argue either/or, and don't see the pattern of deceit in our government, or the obvious logic in having footage available to run while you go off and do top secret shit, or deal with problems that you don't want to be know publicly. No proof, but just makes sense to me.

Interesting theory. However, if NASA were in the habit of creating fake footage to prevent the public (and the USSR) seeing it fail on live TV and keeping real footage secret, we'd probably have never seen this photo (nor seen it on live TV, which I remember doing)...

@Jnei That happened in the atmosphere in plain sight...and was after decades of missions. Lunar landings were in the initial years of the space program, so paranoia and fear of the unknown (or maybe the known?) would have been greater. Challenger was almost 20 years later...plenty of time to grow complacent. By 2003 and Columbia, you had plenty of high power telescopes and computer tracking software that even a high school student could get their hands on.

Again, no proof, but still very possible...

@jondspen You do have a point.

I'm not sure what to believe but I share your thoughts on it often and I've wondered why we have never went back.

@twshield we have gone back, other nations have gone also. Wtf

Yes we did land on the moon. A friend of mine worked for NASA. My mom met Neil Armstrong. The missions are very expensive. Probably why we weren't back. That has the same logic as flat earthers and people that claim planes can't fly. Also some of the "staged" photos can be explained.

@twshield In a lot of ways I think even intelligent people want something to be true. I saw a "documentary" a few years ago called "The Last Will and Testament of George Harrison". It was basically saying that Paul McCartney died in a car accident in 1966. Subliminal messages were about his death in their songs. They covered it up because they feared there would be mass suicide. I wanted it to be true. I watched it a second time, and noticed that the release dates for albums were way off. Both for the US and in the UK. Whoever made the tape was very creative.

I may be wrong, but I think you can actually see items left on the moon with a telescope. In the BIG BANG tv series they bounced a laser off a reflector left there. I should say they portraid doing it. So, this would prove it was real.

The cover up would have been more difficult than actually going to the moon

@twshield Amazing how some would go the extra mile to relate anything against Trump. The moon landing happened in 1969 and the issue at task here is to discuss if it did happen or not. That's the scope of this posting.

@twshield Lets stick to the facts then. How do we know the moon is getting away from earth at specific small and steady pace?

@twshield The Lunar Laser Ranging Measurement is not an opinion. Don't sweat it, you have already set your mind and only you can change it. It's not my job, that's a fact too.

@twshield I find that a really scary statement. Many opinions are based on nothing but ego defensiveness or desiring to agree with an attractive (on many criteria) other. This refusal to pay attention to reality is the basis for many of the problems we have in the US -- and world -- today.

so define what you would consider proof

@twshield you keep saying what is not proof. You threw this out here,I would like to know what would be proof

If you want proof, of all of the thousands of people that spent their entire career working for NASA where's the one person that decided to cash in and write that tell all book on how NASA pulled off this elaborate hoax. If you believe that many people could be sworn to complete secrecy then you might as well believe in that invisible man in the sky.......

@twshield Wasn't necessarily criticizing you directly..........But nice loaded question.....

This has to be a troll post. Must. Not. Bite.?

The Apollo moon landing is known worldwide as historical fact. Keep in mind, it was far more difficult to to reach the Titanic.

@twshield , I believe it because A: It was perfectly within the realm of scientific possibilities at the time. B: Thousands of witnesses watched the rocket depart in person. C: Evidence and data was gathered from the moon itself. D: A conspiracy wasn't even needed to funnel money. This was during the cold war. If the U.S. wanted to hide billions, they could have simply said "We need more nukes" and never actually build them.

@twshield , okay. I see why you are here now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:202877
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.