Agnostic.com

57 3

What is a childhood movie that still haunts you until this day as an adult?

I had to take the time to really think about this one. I think I would say the Body Snatchers 90s version lol. I don’t think I could sleep for a week after watching it without someone watching me. Still kinda creepy today hehe!

EmeraldJewel 7 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

57 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No movie, childhood or whatever, 'haunts' me to this day.
I suppose it's because I'm fairly rationally minded and see movies for what they are, just entertainment.
Having said that, I must add that the documentaries I have watched re- the Extinction Level Events that this planet has experienced in the past billions of years do make me stop and think, especially since live on a relatively tiny lump of rock hurtling around a massive Thermonuclear Fusion Generator with 8 other planets and between Mars and Jupiter there is a massive belt of Asteroids where any sudden 'side-swipe' between 2 or more of them can send an object ranging from the size of a small car to the size of Mount Everest directly towards us on a collision course, just how very tenuous our existence truly is.
We are more concerned with fight and waring over our own very petty differences than we are about the very possible chance that one day that 'side-swipe' will occur and there is little or nothing we have done that can prevent the ultimate impact and extinction of most forms of life on this planet.

Jaws..... I am a decent swimmer but cannot enjoy swimming in the ocean if water is murky or dark. My mind brings all sharks towards me and the reality is that likely won't happen but if it does, by the time you get to see a real one then it's already too late. The USS Indianapolis story freaks me out....

I saw "Jaws" with my younger brother. Didn't realize there'd be gore to that degree, so tried to cover his eyes. He, of course, protested loudly and kept batting my hand away.

@ailurophile it wasn't gore per say but the psychological fear imprinted in my brain for life..As I have explained, cannot enjoy swimming in the open ocean ever again

An American werewolf in London. I saw it way too young, at a friend's house, then had to ride my bike home, a mile, in the dark, through a forest. I went like the wind lol.

The first "The Fly". It was made before I was born. My younger sister and I saw it on TV when my parents weren't paying attention. There is a scene where the man has changed with a fly and he is caught in a spiders web with a spider advancing on him and his little voice is saying "help me". I could imitate that voice and freak out my sister for a long time after that. It doesn't really haunt me though.

I can do the man-headed fly's voice, too!

Was that Twilight zone? Help me!!!! Help me!!!

The exorcist. Scared the living daylights out of me and had a lingering effect on me. ?

Hahaha I may be messed up, but I laughed at that movie!

@EmeraldJewel lol so did the friend I went and saw it with ?. What can I say except that I was pretty gullible ?

Oh I see you want us to date ourselves huh? Lol! For me it was a cross between The Exorcist and the first Omen. Yes I'm that old!

Willy Wonka freaked me out! Creepy. Now it's just funny ?

The Wizard of Oz, especially when the monkeys are all leaping around and filling the sky

Bambi.....I had to be taken out of the theater when his mum got murdered because I was crying so hard.
It led to me having nightmares for weeks after and absolutely sobbing whenever I saw a dead animal after that for several years.

I always wonder if that was the first hint that I would become a Vegan.
I always wonder when I see people posing in pictures with the animals they murdered at what age they lost their compassion and love.
I don't understand how people can become so callous and dead emotionally that the suffering of our animal brothers and sisters doesn't tear at their heart everyday like it does mine.

Humans, in general, confuse the hell out of me.

Forbidden planet. Invisible monsters powered by the ego of an ancient alien civilisation? The technicolour landscape. The robot! My parents probably thought it was a harmless 1950s bit of kitsch. It scared the shit out of me!
I've since revisited it as an adult. I love it now. Great movie. And Lesliy Neilson in a romantic lead. That's the only suspension of disbelief I struggle with now ?.

The Blob! ?

Hahaha! That movie will give someone a jello phobia!

@EmeraldJewel Maybe that's why I hate jello.

Trilogy of Terror.

shit

shit

shit

MOMMY!

[google.com]

That is a great one. I forgot about that one, I remember seeing it as a kid.

@TristanNuvo Well, only the voodoo doll whatever that was sticks in the brain.

The other two stories were forgettable which amplified the sheer shock value of the story that mattered.

@BufftonBeotch Yup, it was the same for me. That doll.

Pet Sematary. I still can’t look at the screen when Zelda is on. Also, the short story Thinner ruined strawberry pie for me.

Debbie Does Dallas, lol

Peewee's Big Adventure... Large Marge still gets me.

"Whatever Happened to Baby Jane"..."you don't eat your breakfy, you don't get no din-din"
just gives me the chills every time

lerlo Level 8 Oct 25, 2018

Finally got to see it all the way through. Glad I didn't see it as a child, I would have been traumatized by seeing Blanche's budgie end up as breakfy.

"The Innocents"
I watched it again about a year ago on Youtube to exorcise the trauma.

The Exorcist. Hate that movie.

Hellraiser.

The Yearling. It didn't scare me, just broke my heart. I cried for the longest time.

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer?

Was it the Bumble that did it?

@ailurophile the teeth pulling?

Fire in the Sky. Just the ending, it's still scary regardless. Plus it's thanks to the practical effects to make it look so real, oh and even the sound effects. The whole atmosphere is very eerie, mysterious, and creepy.

@Gooniesnvrdie yes indeed

That original Time Machine movie when they go under ground into the nest.

The Fly. And I think the original The Haunting is the best Halloween movie ever.

the original or Jeff Goldblum.?

@BufftonBeotch black n white original

It wasn't a movie. It was a PSA. It showed a family and their dog. I think the dog's name was Sammy. Throughout the day family being careless regarding fire safety. The mom was running over the cord with her vacuum. The dad was smoking on the couch and ashes fell between the cushions. The kids are outside playing with Sammy. "Sammy! Sammy!" The kids called to the happy dog. That night, while all were sleeping, those ashes started the couch on fire and the whole house went up. Because the family didn't have an evacuation plan, they all perished. It ended with the firefighters shaking their heads about how this could have been avoided. The camera goes to the dog, lying in the grass, his head flat between his paws. And you hear in a distant voice, "Sammy! Sammy! " as tears fall from the dog's eyes.
Afterwards I ran to the firefighters who presented this, "what about the dog?! What happened to the dog? " I was pulling on his shirt. He just looked at me and turned to answer another question.

Sammy is living happily on a farm.

No. Really.

I watched The Exorcist at the theater when I was about 12 or 13. It was traumatizing, but certainly led me closer to being a non-believer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:206577
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.