Agnostic.com

36 5

Gays, Lesbians and Transgenders

Why do you suppose the religious nuts often bash the gays, lesbians and transgenders?

Trajan61 8 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd also like to add that y'all should stop saying "transgenders" or "transgendered". Its not a disorder. Its a state of mind. They are transgender. A transgender individual. The way you speak about disenfranchised groups matters as to how they are perceived.

Thank you.

I do not believe it is a disorder, nor do I think it is a state of mind. It's merely a matter of genetics just as blue eye colors are older derivatives from the brown eye norm.

You have differences due to different genetics. A rewiring or splicing if you will.

Excuse me..are You transgender?..or are you one of those that "Have A Transgender Friend"?..It is Not a,as You say, "a "State of Mind"..it a life long Understanding of Not being in the correct body..You're Attempt to belittle My self Awareness and Thousands of others is as bigoted and Simple minded as that POS in Our W.H you Worship..

Let's not forget bi in there.

That's what I've never understood - if one is solid in what they believe, why are they so easily rattled by different - or no religion, or different ways of loving ? The way some people behave, you'd think a different sexual orientation is a transmissible virus !

Because the holy books say homosexuals (particularly men) are abhorrent, and so anybody with a non-standard sexuality or gender identity sort of gets lumped in with that. "Obviously a man in a dress is gay, I mean how on earth could that be a straight woman?" etc. It is a convenient excuse to hate and fear the unfamiliar instead of just living with it.

The religious nuts are so close minded and indoctrinated they’re not to accept a gay person especially men. Often they will make remarks like “those people are going to hell if they don’t mend they’re ways”.

People fear what they don't know or understand.

Minorities are easy targets, less backlash. They also target atheists more than competing religions.

Imagine what I had to put up with, lol.

Fear of someone who’s different, the fear can lead to hate and hate allows dehumanizing of LGBT people. Once a group (any group) is dehumanized it is a very short step to bashing.

CS60 Level 7 Feb 3, 2018

Fist, they don't understand gays. lesbian, and transgender people. Second, That lack of understanding links with their being blind true believers to make them vulnerable to manipulation. Third, hate-mongering preachers and religious leaders tell the true believers that different people are evil.

I actually have a post pending about this. Anyway, I don't know why it is, but I do know thate my own parents disapprove of my sexuality.

Because homosexuality doesn't fit their simple straightforward understanding of the world. So it must be a creation of the devil.

because they can't fight back well. Humanity looks for a victim that they can attack and torture. Like a well fed housecat with a mouse to gnaw and swat and keep alive for days.

Most groups if you attack them: they attack back, they die, they enlist allies to defend themselves, or they leave.

LGBTQ types are the best victims to torture. Since they appear naturally they are a renewable resource, since it is near random where they occur you can always accuse anyone of being a member of the group, since they are always born into a community alien to themselves they really can't leave en-mass, since they are at most 2% of the population they can't really defend themselves.

The religious people of the world can continue to attack the same group of people over and over and over again, knowing that they can't leave, fight back, organize, or even be defended. Each one can be hunted down and tortured and no matter how many times that happens another one just comes into the world. They are the most perfect kicking bag in human existence. And to sweeten the pot if the religious do it right they can get them to torture themselves for them, and relish in the fact they outsourced human misery.

I wish I was wrong, but I don't think I am. The simple truth is LGBTQ are the easiest group to torture so the religious choose them. Once a heretic is burned they are gone, once a people are genocided they are dead, but no action short of human species extinction will remove the LGBTQ from the earth forever. I wish I could tell anyone reading this that one day this will change, and the religious will either vanish or at the very least stop picking on you people. I wish I could say that.

@icolan Yup.

20% of millennials identify as LGBTQ, according to new GLAAD study [huffingtonpost.com]

@icolan I've posted that link several times during other arguments. I'm glad you remembered that statistic.
Several years ago there was a study where, after being assured of complete anonymity, 85% of people answering a survey admitted to at least some same-sex attraction, in varying percentages.

Like they say, we're all on a gender spectrum, both for gender identity and sexual orientation.

Because they see them as their "God" making a mistake. Think about it.... gays and lesbians can't have children, and we all know that our goal in like is procreation. Transgenders mean God doesn't know what he (or she) is doing since they made said person in the wrong gender. I would hate to see that they think of hermaphrodites.

Religious people believe that they are created heterosexual but choose to be homosexual and god has nothing to do with what they are.

Because those judgmental assholes don't see them as fellow humans. .They see them as "abominations". Not all of them obviously, but there are some that fit this bill.

I’ve always been disgusted when one of the religious makes the comment “those people are living in sin and they’re going to hell if they don’t mend they’re ways”. I usually reply “they’re going to the same place you are”.

Speaking specifically of Christian or Muslim haters, yes, their scriptures appear to condemn homosexuality and anything that crosses gender norms (though there are very few references in scripture). But I think the real reason for that is their fundamental subjugation of women. Women in Biblical times were basically chattel, with no rights. LGBT people represent a threat to the rigid socially constructed gender boundaries that those people want to believe are divinely mandated. So they attack.

Yes. Hazards of texting. I am lazy about proof-reading sometimes.

No. They are ignorant and cling like a vice to their ignorant views.

Haters gotta hate.

Because they're ignorant and following a book that also tells them the world is 6,000 yrs old.

Probably because they (LGBT) are in a minority and not understood and feared. To not understand can lead to fear, fear can lead to hate, hate can lead to crimes physical or otherwise, leads to feelings of satisfaction after doing something to prevent or hurt such persons (power and pleasurable feelings?). I took bash to mean metaphorically and literally bash,

That’s what I mean by bash as I’ve never knew anyone that actually committed violence against the gays but I’ve certainly read of them committing violent acts against them.

Lmao. Homophobia is hilarious. "Omg, there's a gay moving into the neighborhood! Now my property value is going to climb!"

@Trajan61 When I was in my teens, beating up homosexuals was entertainment and social justice for some people. I could never understand it and was bewildered (I only recently arrived in country as an immigrant).

People are hypocrites.

Cause they have a phobia

Yah man i had an ex afraid of spiders it was amusing when i was chaceing him around with one in a mug- but for some ppl that shit is real even though we can't understand it- i didnt meet my first gay friend untill the end of high school he was a pretty solid guy with a grate sense of humor- i was like this isent addingup with what I was taught

Because of the story of Sodom and Gomorrah. If the country turns gay enough god will bring on the fire and brimstone. They are actually trying to protect the country from a fairy tale, but a fairy tail they believe.

I don't know especially when you often get priests etc abusing kids.

Probably because they're easy targets since they're a minority, plus the fact that most religious entities have in one form or another "marriage" or a union.

In order to procreate, marriage and sex are vital to a species survival. This is probably why until recently these types of people weren't accepted. Without surrogacy or IVF gays and lesbians wouldn't be able to have children.

So in the eyes of religion, they would be defective humans who couldn't create life and therefore would be detrimental if their sexual preference spread to an entire community. Leading to extinction.

I'm all in favour of gays, lesbians and transgender people. But I don't think we should force religious people to marry them. That's forcing people against their will and beliefs to do something that makes them uncomfortable. It's kind of like blackmail since some people try to force the government to force religious priests to marry them.

The gays and lesbians have as much right to marry as we do. No we shouldn’t force the priest to marry them but someone will marry them and that marriage should have the same legal rights as all the others.

I completely agree. The problem with gay marriage in Australia is that we don't have the freedom of religious rights that America has. So the new legislation we just passed will force priests, Imam's, etc. To marry people who aren't even part of the religion. As the saying goes, "Freedom for some, but at what price?". Now that the government has passed legislation forcing religious practitioners to do something against their belief and against their will, this will open the floodgates and we never know when the government will make another demand.

Also I don't see why gays and lesbians wanted the marriage thing. It just costs a huge amount of money, time and stress. Sure it's a nice day of celebration but for me, it's also when a relationship can stagnate. I'm not one to talk about this since my parents are married. But at the moment I personally wouldn't want to marry a woman. Since many of my friends parents have had divorces and according to the 2013 Australian Bureau of statistics, 47.4% of divorces involve children, I just don't think modern marriage is worth it at the moment.

Odds are that my view on this will change once I meed the right woman, but currently my legal rights as a man are lower than that of a woman and I don't like it.

Mainly because there are some cases where women have divorced then when they had nothing then once the man makes it big and has millions, the woman claims she is entitled to his millions. (I know it's an out lair but still it happens).

I believe they openly belittle GLBT individuals because their book lacks instructions on how they should feel about these individuals and we are just easy targets for them.
It isn't "an abomination unto the lord" just because it makes you uncomfortable and don't know how to react to it, Mom.

Because it's the only sin they don't personally do themselves, even if it's because they were born hetero, through no virtue of their own.

Obviously we're an afront to their "High Moral" standards..unlike Drumpf who's an outstanding Christian liar, misogynist, greedy, 3x divorced, incest dreaming, bankrupt, sexual predator kind of man.

Trumps a damn sight better than that idiot Obama, who was for big government and a lot more regulations.

But both of them pale compared to the Clintons.

@Trajan61 you mean like cutting back on carbon emmissions? Or health care for fellow Americans? Or how about Actually saving the econmy?..or protecting Americans from deportation? Or bring Back Americas standing worldwide?or was it making Education a priority that pisses off your tiny bigoted brain? Or maybe you just didn't "Care"" for Obama cause your a racist..cause in your lil mind Only Honkies should hold that white priviledge office?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20747
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.