Agnostic.com

33 2

What’s your thoughts on profanity?

EmeraldJewel 7 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't trust people who don't cuss. It's oftentimes stuffy, inauthentic and boring

I grew up in a house and I never once heard my mother curse even when she was mad. She yelled and screamed but she never used profanity. She told me to show respect and speak to others the way that I want them to speak to me. That is why I do not curse when I speak. Unless someone really pushes me to the edge, than forget about it.

Exceptions to every rule...cursing is expressive to me. My Dad NEVER did...he was a pastor and a hypocrite in many ways. Funny how our parents shape little things in life

@Tecolote Ha, mom cursed like crazy...I still make jokes in her yelling voice, "You god damn kids, I'm so sick of this shit"

Swear words are actually stored in a different part of the brain to formal speech as evidenced by their retention in people whose speech is otherwise severely impaired following stroke or other brain injury. It has also been shown that swearing increases a persons ability to tolerate pain.
If you want to more about the neurobiology of swearing here is an interesting article - [harvardsciencereview.com]
PS I even use the C word on occasion.

Kimba Level 7 Feb 11, 2018

Was just going to look for the article on pain. Some days it even works.
I remember breaking my little toe and going off on such an imaginative rant of cuss words - my Poor Mum didn't know why I was going on like that until I was able to say what I'd just done.
I think the swearing kept me from just falling over. lol

Does that explain Tourettes ?

@GreenAtheist Partly but only 10-25% of people with Tourettes have the swearing, others have totally different vocal tics like sniffing, grunting or clearing their throat and they all have some form of motor tic as well.

Very interesting and makes sense like with sufferers of terrets

I fucking love friggin profanity..it's gawddamn fucking awesome as fuck!!

I could make a sailor blush when I'm pissed off.

Obviously I don't use it in professional situations, but in private, FUCK yeah!

FUCK, YEAH! 🙂

It's inauthentic and boring to never cuss. It adds spice to a point, but just like other spices can be overused.

if it's used in the right situation it's just fine. humans invented it for a reason and most use it.

I don't overdo it - but there are times when it's absolutely both appropriate and deeply satisfying !

Like this fun sticker I acquired at Bikeweek, that uses "fuck" in multiple grammatical forms :

" fuck you, you fucking fuck !" Makes me giggle every time !

I use a lot of swears, often in normal conversation, to a point that can be uncomfortable... especially shit and fuck. I use them when I'm not angry, and I'm actually trying to cut back.

What I avoid are slurs... racist slurs, misogynistic slurs, homophobic slurs, transphobic slurs, etc. If I'm really pissed off at someone, "asshole" conveys what I mean well enough... I don't have to attack them for their physical being (skin color, gender, sexuality, etc), too.

Yup!!!! What you said.

Fucking love it. In my view, words are just words until someone decides to find them offensive

I once studied to be a minster but today I cuss like a sailor. I have learned to tone it down when it is going to offend someone, so I cuss but I'm also polite.

I cuss so fucking much, I try to dial it back here, but no promises

It has its place, often isnt exactly necessary, but it can be fun around those who arent offended by it

I'm very comfortable with it in a private setting, and online.

I try to be respectful to everyone that I encounter and speak with. I stopped using profanity when I left the military. Growing up, no one used profanity in my house and after being in the Marines, I had to retrain myself when addressing others. However, I discovered that when someone pushes me to the edge, and gets me very angry and I am unable to retreat, I will curse like a Marine. That is not a situation that I want to be in, and no one should push me to that point. It is the point of flight or fight for me. It has only happened four times in my lifetime and thankfully those people backed off.

7 words of George Carlin could infect all the radio TV liars with HONESTY

I remember listening to Dr Demento waiting for that list!

I never met her but I believe she is absolutely beautiful. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 11, 2018

Who the fuck cares

Exactly! Lol

See George Carlin: the 7 words you can't say on television. It's another labelling ploy. Certain people don't like this or that word, so it becomes "profanity." Context is the issue. Someone cursing you out in anger is infinitely more offensive than a comedian casually using the same words on stage to relate comical situations. Imho. It's just words.

Fucked if I know. 😉

Everybody in my office swears. But then we all tend to be mean girls too.

Studies show people who use profanity are more honesty because they are not monitoring their words to suit those around them. You should respect others but respect is much different than self-preservation through acceptance.

Good in moderation.

MsAl Level 8 Feb 16, 2018

I spent much of my childhood with my grandmother, who spoke Yiddish. Like most people who have experienced Yiddish spoken as an everyday language, I've heard swearing elevated to a form of art and therefore appreciate it.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 14, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23115
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.