Agnostic.com

18 3

What do you traditionaly cook on December 25th?

Even though I am not religious I still like to celebrate Xmas. For me it's about families gathering together, baking goodies, spending excessively, and exchanging gifts (mostly for the kids). Traditionally we have Prime Rib. Some people do ham. What about you?

helionoftroy 7 Dec 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Cracked wheat cinnamon raisin bread
Z's cheater mac-n-cheese
Standing rib roast
Potato bread
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Sweet corn cassreole
Cranberry cream pie
Holiday citrus cranberry fresh pressed juice
Old fashioned Spritz cookies
Amish Lace cookies

Zster Level 8 Dec 23, 2018

Whatever my sob in law cooks.

I agree!!!!
I love Christmas too!!!
I was a chef for many years and my girls and I have created our own traditions. Foods I change quite often.
This year I’m making a batch of no fat White Chicken Chili, Making a large tossed salad of veggies, and cheese lasagne.
Then lots of treats
I’ll make some baked oatmeal for breakfast.

In years prior I’ve done rosemary and blackberry glazed prime rib

Spinach stuffed pork loin

Turducken

We change it up 🙂

Here in the UK the traditional Christmas dinner is a roast turkey dinner, which must include Brussels sprouts and pigs in blankets (that’s little sausages wrapped in bacon and roasted). Followed by Christmas pudding. In my family we also have roasted gammon.

Indian buffet

Venison (we rotate who brings the entree) , homemade (everything get this point) cranberry sauce, sweet potato burnt cake, pumpkin pie, turtle cheese cake, apple berry cobbler. Veggies are a toss up but broccoli is on the table in some capacity.

Tuna salad sandwich

I don't cook anything except a dessert. We go to a dinner with a cousin and her friends OR go out for Chinese food. It's a Jewish tradition.

For decades, I would make halupki (stuffed cabbage) with my potato salad and ham. When I was married, that was for my then wife, my two kids my sister and brother in law, their two kids, later on my nephew's wife, and various boyfriends and girlfriends. As the nest emptied out, my kids told me they wanted something else, so it's a negotiation now. It was a relief, because halupki are a pain in the arse - usually you kill an afternoon on xmas eve making them and the potato salad, but the plus side was on Xmas, all I had to do was cook the piggies.

There is no 'traditional' at our house. It's usually just my daughter (who is grown) and me. So when she was in high school we started our own tradition. Each Christmas we choose a different region of the world and make as close a copy as we can of their cuisine. This year it's Moroccon Lamb and Sweet Potatoes with couscous and vegetables, and bastilla. I love to cook and it's a challenge to find authentic recipes, though less so since the internet.

Sounds good! I like to try cooking different foods from different countries! Keep me posted on how it turns out! I might want the recipe!

being jewish, i have no christmas cooking traditions. quite a long time ago, the first of the two times i lived in los angeles, i had a friend, older than i, who invited me over for christmas day, which was meaningful to her (but not in a jesusy way), every other year, and she made either ham or turkey. the years when i did not spend christmas day with her i spent it with my very best friend, and we had no particular culinary traditions; we spent the day together, we are something good, but i don't recall a specific dish. both friends are dead now (not, i assure you, of food poisoning).

after i moved away and spent that day alone, which time represents most of my life, it was just a day like any other, as it had been throughout my childhood, when at most it was a day off from school, and throughout my young adulthood, when at most it was a day off from work. now i am no longer alone but christmas day is meaningless to me and my guy except for one thing: it happens to be his parents' wedding anniversary. since his parents, like mine, whose anniversary falls three days later, are dead, we make note of the day but have no special traditions, culinary or otherwise, associated with it. so what shall i cook tomorrow? whatever is in the fridge or freezer, without regard for its being someone else's holiday.

g

K made boccoli, rice dish. I made omlett for it to go in.....yum, yummmmm....toast with strawberry jam.

Tamales! Lot of tamales!

@Seeker3CO tamales are always good! Especially with tomatillo sauce on them, even better!

Who said I cook?

Out here in Aussie it's way too bloody hot for the USUAL, Traditional Xmas Fare, we often resort to salads, seafoods, cold meats, etc, no sense in sitting around the table, sweating away in 30 - 40 degree(Celsius) heat with the Air Coolers struggling to keep you cool.
Had enough of that when I was growing up, NEVER again though.

Why the sad icon, helionoftroy?

For years I made lasagna.
Last few, I haven't cooked at all.
What we do this year is still undecided. Might just go to the WaffleHouse and
call it lovely.
We're down one full kitchen, and the other just has two burners and a toaster oven.
No one is cooking this year.

I bake my brain.

I set a bear trap on the roof and end up eating a grilled flying reindeer. 😛

So, you're saying you go hungry? 😉

@KKGator Well, an imaginary reindeer steak doesn't fill me up much. I enjoy the sides, though. Good old vegetarian fare. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:250544
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.