Agnostic.com

65 12

Do you have a favorite decade of music?

I liked 90s music and early 2000s the best. But, this was also a time that I grew up in. I wish more bands would make music in that vein-- but I also wonder if people are biased towards decades of music in which they were children and teens.

So, do you have a favorite decade of music?

silvereyes 8 Feb 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

65 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love the hair metal bands of the 80's.. always been a rocker and will continue to do so.. its in my blood.. not goen nowhere.

Forced to choose have to say 90's industrial.

I am pretty eclectic, but I do like the 90's with groups such as Pearl Jam and Matchbox 20. Radiohead and Alice n Chains were also favorites

I try not to play the "Favorite" game but my happiest decade was the 80s so much of the music from then makes me pretty happy.

That's not fair! you're making me have to choose! Truly, it depends on my mood. My playlist on my phone covers several decades, so I can quickly match my mood and music. I do have a tendency to lean toward acoustic versions of songs, as they seem more timeless.

Same. And yes, thats when people tend to get the most experience with new music.

My favorite genre of music is techno, and I don't really have a favorite decade for that. Everything else I listen to, though, is 70s through 90s, because that's what my dad listened to in the car when I was a kid.

I grew up in the 80s and 90s, and I like a lot of that music, but I think I lean a bit more toward the 70s.

A decade, or rather era, of popular music from my childhood preceded it by about 20 years. Part of the exposure came from being a 'night owl'. Both parents were out working during late evenings. Television signed off at midnight.

Radio provided a warm companion in the still nights of summer and winter alike. In Chicago, WGN broadcast a program into the wee hours called Franklyn MacCormack's All Night Meister Brau Showcase. If you can imagine soft flannel becoming sound, that was his voice. He introduced and talked about featured music; which was all from decades earlier, mostly 1930's. Later in life (Early 80's) another program on community supported radio in San Francisco featured music from the late 1920's and early 30's. It was like time travel!

What characterized that era was 1. Music came entirely out of people with electronics serving only to better convey the sounds, not to 'join-in' or substitute for human virtuousity. 2. The era when American Music took the world by storm. Tin Pan Alley and show/movie music exploded with new, fresh creativity that has lasted into the present in the form we call 'standards'.

Try not to let the archaic sound quality and styles make you think of the original recordings of those long gone artists as 'old music'. thanks to a chap by the name of Edison, we are able to travel back and hear young people performing new music reaching and resonating with untold generations who care to listen.

I definitely do not have a favorite era but genre? Totally. Indy Rock, Industrial rock, alt rock, classic rock— I love rock and roll. XD

74 to 84

70s

I wasn't born until 79.

70s, it was my youth, we were going to change the world, fail.

Some late 60's and 70's music especially the Moody Blues ("Nights of White Satin" ) and Cat Stevens.

The 70s, it's when I became musically aware so all the glam rockers Slade, T-Rex, Sweet etc but this lead onto Deep Purple, Hawkwind, Black Sabbath, Bob Seger, Motorhead et al.

The 60's and early 70's are my favorites, even though I was too young at the time to appreciate them. I was born a decade too late.

1965 to 1975 Not because i was a kid or teen but because thr Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton,John Lee Hooker,The kinks, Steve Marriot Rod Steward and all the really great musicians were alive and on the top of their game. Rock, blues and SOul were all sprouting like weed, and so was weed.

I can't limit myself to a decade. From when I first heard the haunting shebop tune:

-'I Only Have Eyes For You' by The Flamingoes in 1959

-Bobbie Gentry's 'Ode To Billie Jo' that left sadness and a queasy feeling in my gut in 1967. Glen Campbell's 'Wichita Lineman' that is one of the most well-crafted songs I've ever heard...or the incredibly brave observation of Elvis Presley of '69's 'In The Ghetto'. The groundbreaking music by Jimi Hendrix' 'Are You Experienced' or the emerging powerhouse 'The Who'. 69's landmark Woodstock Festival that changed -everything-.

-The social commentary of the 70's such as Zeppelin III's beautiful 'That's The Way' lamenting the pollution of our waterways 'Yesterday I saw you standing by the river...and weren't those tears that filled your eyes. And all the fish that lay in dirty water dying. Have they got you hypnotized? Or Neil Young's 'Ohio' speaking of the 4 killings of protesting students by the National Guard at Kent State University. The smooth beauty of Stevie Wonder's 'Golden Lady'...or the hot fusion of jazz and rock by Dan Fogleberg/Tim Weisberg's flaminco-ish 'Tell It To My Face'.

-The stunning beginning of MTV in '84 showcasing the melancholy 'Drive' by The Cars, written from the perspective of a guy who's watching a woman who he presumably deeply cared for "going down the tubes," and actually 'seeing' the artist's vision. Madonna throwing the rule book out. Or the pure fun of Dire Straits' 'I Want My MTV' with Sting. Van Halen's '1984' that simply rocked the house.

-Nirvana shook up the start of the 90's in fine fashion as did Dave Grohl after Cobain's death. REM's unforgettable songs. Metallica's 'Enter Sandman' announced their high level of testosterone. The grungy 'Days Of The New' in the late 90's was refreshing as was the arrival of 'Train', for their first three albums anyway before they descended into bubble-gum noise. The calming 'Bittersweet Symphony' by The Verve. Alice In Chains 'Jar Of Flies' was awesome.

-All the 90's bands honed their skills into the 2000's and beyond. Coldplay's 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' revealed a different way of constructing songs. Tantric came out of the ashes of Days Of The New. The music industry was in flux during this time. Record companies refused to let musicians gel and develop, so they stopped supporting them. They migrated to unknown labels and made it difficult to find them without it becoming a full time job to get music you liked.

-The current decade has my favorite curmudgeon killing it with three original albums in four years: David Crosby. They hold some of the most beautiful music he's ever written such as 'Paint You A Picture' in Lighthouse to 'Sky Trails' in the album of the same name, singing with a female singer from Snarky Puppy. Album 'Croz' contains his advice in removing your guilt and regret with 'Put That Baggage Down': "That trunk is filled with dusty air - Ghosts that lived and still don’t care
Resist the urge to turn around - and set it down."

Seems to be rare these days that albums contain more than one good song. I never cared for the big hits...always enjoyed the deep cuts...but now when you dive in there deep all you find is filler.

My favorite decade of music is always the one I am in. Seems like music goes stale with repetition so classic rock stations and oldies stations don't really work for me. I like to keep up with the new bands that are out. Just make my music fresh!

I can't really pick a favorite from the 60's to the 90's.

The 1970s -- a decade of meaningful and beautiful music -- folk music, protest music, Baez, Lightfoot, Jim, Croce, Cat Stephens, Simon and Garfunkel and many more.

I think most of us have a tendency to favor the music we grew up on. For me it was the 60's. I will skip the 70's because it reminds me of the hardest time in my life. 80's - ok, 90' forward there's quite a bit I really like a lot.

Defo the 70's

40's to 80's -- everything except rap, bluegrass, and opera. All three of those genres sound like one continuous song.

Erm, there is good music from all of them:

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28863
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.