Agnostic.com

38 5

Which religion in your opinion is the worst? Islam or Christianity?

I think both are just as equally as bad as the other.

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 25

Post a comment Reply Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The abrahamaaic religions are all just sects of the same religion, and they are all equally drenched in blood and misogyny.

Yes.

@Sarahroo29 Or as some have pointed out, Christianity is a Jewish heresy, Islam is a Christian heresy. Although true believers of any can take great umbrage at this characterization.

Islam is like Christianity except its still in its adolescence. Look at Christendom around the 1400-1500s. That`s where Islam is now.

Yes. It will get worse I bet.

Actually, Muslims were much more liberal and educated in the past than they are now. When the Crusaders tried to claim the "Holy Land," Muslims were abhorred that Christians tried to exorcise demons when treating medical issues. Muslims were mathematical whizzes and discovered (for lack of a better word) algebra and invented Arabic numerals. Islam "devolved" from their golden age. I am not sure that Christianity ever had a golden age, not even in the Renaissance.

@Gwendolyn2018 I would submit that if there is a golden age for Christianity it budded in the Renaissance and blossomed in the Industrial Age. I admit that it is fraught with flaws but from Newton to Darwin to Crick a lot of ground has been covered.

@Hicks66 I am not a Renaissance scholar, but even though great works of art and other developments made it the age of "enlightenment," I do not truly see Christianity as the driving factor since the Catholic Church was rife with corruption. Perhaps the same could be said of the Muslim golden age. Likewise, while the Industrial Revolution/Age was marked by many new inventions, the Victorian Era was socially backwards, sacrificing children and poor people for a buck. Not a golden age for them, but just for the upper echelon. The rise of the middle class began, but the conditions of the poor continues until today. Societies were nominally "Christian" and largely, in name only.

@Gwendolyn2018 To a large extent Christianity has been a victim of its own success. The sunday schools that were initiated by Methodists in the 19th cent. were just that, schools where the poor children could receive a basic education. This emancipation has led to a level of knowledge that made them redundant.
I still stand by my original post. The similarities between Islam now and Christianity in the 14 & 1500`s a striking. Not only it its age but in its behavior. Factional wars fought over differences in dogma, fatwas & excommunications etc. The very word " fanatic " stems from the inquisition.

@273kelvin As it is your right to stand by your opinions. πŸ™‚ I still disagree--to a point.

that's a tie as far as I'm concerned

Yep.

In this century, Islam hands down,
thousand years ago, I would have said Christianity.

Probably. I think you're right.

Basically they are both the same.Same book just different histories.

Yes.

All of the fundamentalist religions are awful. The non-fundamentalist versions of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are silly but generally innocuous.

Agreed.

Horrible- both of them. All about subjugation of women, and freaky control, control, control.

Yes, control. It's one of the worst parts of religion.

All of them..

Yes. I think so too.

If you read the books, Christianity is worse. If you look how they're behaving on the global stage at this very moment, Islam is worse.

Both are horrible enough it matters little.

Okay.

All religion is intellectual poison. There's no such thing as a good religion.

I concur.

I agree.
All religion is bad.

Yes.

Before Muhammad , I would have said Christianity , but if you look at the world today Islam wins hands down .

Hmmm... I think you're right.

@Sarahroo29 In the world today it's Christian countries waging endless war on Islamic countries ... not vice versa. Been that way for a century, so how does this make Islam the worst?

@Druvius They are killing Xians.

@Sarahroo29 For every Christian they kill, Christians have killed dozens or hundreds of Muslims. The enormity of the crimes waged by Christian nations against Muslim nations since 9/11 is frightening. And Muslims have formed human shields around Christian churches in Egypt to protect them from the extremists. My point basically is when you're talking about faiths with hundreds of millions of adherants making broad generalizations is unsupported, especially since there's no shortage of horror to go around among them.

Both horses have jaundice. As do their kin.

Yes.

I'd have to say Christianity here in the west as it affects far more people than Islam but it was no easy choice

Yeah.

Probably Islam given how volatile it is. Christianity is pretty terrible in its own right, but it has had a lot of time to be de-fanged and become more benign that it was in the past. Now even after all this time, Christianity still has a lot of problems, but religion is still fundamentally toxic.

Islam never really had its enlightenment or anything in that regards, it still has a lot of social progress to catch up on to be on par with most of the modern world. When the crazier denominations still hold the most power, it's always gonna worse off.

I concur.

Both suck, but Christianity has a more direct and negative impact on my life.

What is really interesting is to look at the history of Islam. They are where all the math, astronomy, they named the stars. Almost to bad their civilization failed.

I was raised in an Xian home.

I think they're both terrible.

Me too.

Both have had their share of murderous campaigns in the name of someone’s holy proclamation.

Yes.

Islam is worse in the current environment of the world but both are equally horrible imo overall. christians got tamed tons after the USA came along and a country was made where the church didnt have the power to rule over the ppl. atheists like us are why the USA is the country to change the world to the better.

jorj Level 8 Feb 25, 2018

You arrogant *&%&%Β£^ THE USA TAMED CHRISTIANITY?
In god we trust on your banknotes. Your kids have to say each morning at school " one nation under god " Time and reason weakened the power of the church.The only place it has left in the western world is YOUR COUNTRY. Every guy that you put up as head of state, stands in front of a bunch of bible thumpers. You play lip service to separation and elect vocal theists all the time. It is a dead issue in most of Europe. Not just in the UK but anywhere in Europe I defy to find any major head of state in the 1st world that has run for office using religion outside of the USA.

This very site is testimony to how much it infests your daily life. The rest of us have gotten over it and moved on. You``re still fighting battles over evolution ffs

before the USA governments were based on the church that was the majority. the usa is the first country to break that cycle and get a separation between the two therefore leading to the calming down of christian insanity. it has been a work in progress but its just the truth of the history. its not arrogant to point out how the church started to lose there power in governments and why atheism continues to grow thanks to secularists like our founding fathers. if im wrong about that then prove me wrong, which country across the pond broke the churches power before us? as far as the rest of your comment i agree with it for the most part. i don't subscribe to american exceptionalism but thanks for assuming that i do, just totally made the ass of yourself.

christians got tamed tons after the USA came along and a country was made where the church didnt have the power to rule over the ppl

not one single place there does it say the USA single handedly tamed the christians, it says the creation of the usa is the spark that started the fire

I'm so grateful that the USA is the country to make the world a better place .I,m afraid you really do write some drivel.

Wow.

@jorj Henry viii broke the churches power by dissolution of the monasteries. By placing himself as defender of the faith, he made the church fall under what is basically a secular control. Church and state were not separated but the church was subjugated and castrated of its power. Yes it remains that the church has a few bishops in the house of lords but they are less powerful than a student council in the running of a school.

What many fail to understand of English history is, we have fucked everybody off in our time. Be it the church, monarchy, landed gentry or big business. We are now (rightly or wrongly) in the process of fucking off the EU.

but yet u still had the powers combined until after the USA came along and made the change. just as i stated. sorry that the USA started separation but it is what it is. u call me arrogant and assume things and show your true arrogance and british exceptionalism instead when u clearly admit the church was still part of your system and then turn around and say but oh well, we still did first even tho u did NOT.

Agreed.

No difference, same meat different gravy.

Yep.

Worst? Define worst. They're both belief systems.

Google the word, "worst" and then worst will be defined. I'm too tired to type the definition out rn.

Christianity. In my lifetime of experiences, they've been tje worse at lying, cheating..actually all of their "deadly sins"... Maybe it's because their " God" will forgive them... I have many Islamic friends and find them to be very loyal, honest, forthright, and giving of themselves.

Nice.

You only gave two. I agree they're two biggies but might I offer another? I would submit the cult of personality. Within the 20th century there has been a huge pile of bodies burned on the sacrificial fire of ideology. I am referring to the unholy trinity of Hitler, Stalin and Mao. To me, the substitution of state-ism for religion is mere semantics.

Well said

I don't think either is bad, I think that just like atheism there are good and bad people

Okay.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29169
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.