Agnostic.com

30 13

LINK Rick Santorum: Separation Of Church And State A Communist Idea, Not An American One

The separation of church and state is how we are able to have freedom of religion, or mor i mportantly the freedom from religion. That is the reason why we have a separation church and state. I learned this in elementary school (4th grade). Why didn't he?

snytiger6 9 Apr 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ironic. Santorum talking about "ideas."

If you have listened to this man, you know he is not bright. Even calling him dim would be overstating his intelligence.

I believe Mr. Santorum has a case of separation of mouth and brain.

Santorum is an outright liar -- a demagogue who tries to twist reality to fit his false "reality." He is a despicable man. He has a condo next to that of a longtime friend of mine. He has managed to change my friend to a loiving, moderate Christian to that of a hating fundamentalist who not believes in right wing political conspiracy fantasies. I detest the man.

He's a sanctimonious ass.

No. By definition he is what comes out of a sanctimonious arse. See my earlier post

Let's make sure Rick knows the definition of pluralism while we're at it: "a state of society in which members of diverse ethnic, racial, religious, or social groups maintain and develop their traditional culture or special interest within the confines of a common civilization." Applied to the Separation of Church and State, no single religious group is supposed to have special treatment or be given more power under the law, the government, or the economic system. This is just Rick's way of trying to promote the "America is a Christian Nation" nonsense because the word 'communist' triggers a reaction with so many traditional cultural conservatives.

Rick forgot to take a brain when they were passing them out! 🙄

I wasn't aware that Thomas Jefferson was a commie.... or John Jay for that matter...

I guess he never heard of Thomas Jefferson and his letter to the Danbury Baptists: [loc.gov]

Santorum is talking "bollocks" as we say in the UK. The Communist Manifesto was written over 100 years after the US decided upon disestablishment.
Isn't Santorum homophobic?? I seem to remember his name coming up in this regard a few years ago.

Ah - here it is..
Definition: Santorum
As defined by sex coulumnist Dan Savage, the mixture of lube and feces that is sometimes a side result of anal intercourse.

[urbandictionary.com]

Sadly it's not worked for the USA. In the USA it would be political suicide for a Presidential candidate to declare themselves an atheist. Whilst in the UK, it is the other way round. PMs rarely , if ever even say the word "god" without being seen with suspicion.
Keeping the church established to the state means never having to be overtly christian.

Indeed it is ironic that a country that supposedly has separation of church and state would be highly unlikely to elect an atheist, having been founded by Puritans may still be an influence. John F. Kennedy's Catholic beliefs were considered a liability 200 years later.

Thomas Jefferson was pretty damned clear about where he stood on the issue.
So was Benjamin Franklin.

Santorum likes to cherry-pick the things he'll use to support his religious beliefs.
He will also use whatever he wants to support his political beliefs, as well.

How true ; worryingly like the emperor on
the throne-buy ,spin,or bury news.

It's COMMUNIST! One more example of appealing to emotions to bypass the intellect.

It harkens back to the day when they used to pronounce it "CAW-muh-nist."

In my opinion The ultimate goal of most Christians in the u.s is installing a theocracy. The god dude will not bless our nation until all of inhabitans worship Christianity.

Then he's going to have a looooooong wait.

@ladyprof70 RIGHT! I'm so tired of Christians!

I've always felt that if they really believed in their own shit, they wouldn't have to try to get the government to indoctrinate people. Even if the whole nation became like Biff Tannen's sin city in BTTF2, it would just mean those who were really able to resist temptation would be the only ones who made the cut, no?

@WilliamCharles agreed! Politics is dirty and corrupt. In order to get more votes, the overwhelming majority of quote-unquote Christian politicians will throw bloody red meat to the religious followers. The easiest way to do this, while leaving the questionable and scandalous behavior of the Christians themselves alone, is to throw homomosexuals and women under the bus. Way too many Christians will only vote for a candidate who is against homosexuality and abortion. The Christians have been brainwashed to believe that homosexuality and abortion are two of the biggest evils our society face in the modern time.

Yes, I agree -thats their goal.Not voting
for social benefits but theo-domination.

Santorum is lying for Jesus. A common, even pervasive practice by true believers. Here, Santorum seeks to create identification between the Evangelicals and himself for future political support. It is immoral pandering at its most cynical, but fully expected by the White Fascists.

I would suggest the first real secularisation was the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire in Turkey in the 20s. Not looking too good now unfortunately! It could be argued that the seeds of secularism were sown with the Tyndale English translation of the Bible in early C16th

The date on that link is 12/1/2014 -- over four years ago.
But frothy has been a thorough tool as long as I can remember. What an ass.

No, it is not. Even the communists had some good ideas, one of these was the total annihilation of organized religion. They did not separate it!

zesty Level 7 Apr 16, 2019

A really great point! Thank you.

Agree ,a very necessary distinction.

I liked the speech by JFK. He had to say these things since his family were practicing Catholics and no prior Catholic had been elected as President, One of th fears at the time was that the Pope would tell him what to do , and he would do it. I think Santorum likes to grab headlines.

cava Level 7 Apr 16, 2019

Being from Pennsylvania, it's hard to avoid Santorum and his toxic politics...

This guy has been uttering this useless, baseless trash for years and the local conservatives eat it up... I thought he was done years ago, but, unfortunately Fox and (WTF!) MSNBC reanimated his political corpse and now we have to hear his moronic shite again!

How can we miss him if he won't go away...

He needs to read up on Amendment 1 to the Constitution.  
Trod Level 5 Apr 21, 2019

Mental illness, and profound ignorance. The foundations of fascism.

I myself would state that as, not just "profound ignorance", but as "profound willful ignorance." It is nto just a matter of beign ifnorant, but it takes a great deal of effort to remain so ignorant.

@snytiger6 : : : "willful ignorance" is the definition of stupidity.

@Jacar I think of stupidity as in inability to understand. While willful ignorance involves a conscious choice not to understand. If used broadly/generally, then yes a willfully ignorant person is also stupid in its broadest meaning.

@snytiger6 I do so like your
definitions.There is a remedy to "not
knowing"-there is none for not wanting to
know!!!

@snytiger6 . . I think dumb is inability. Stupid is "willful" intention to remain dumb.

Because he's a bloody idiot! Waste of breath and time.

He obviously is either lying or needs to restudy American history, especially being a politician.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:332174
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.