Agnostic.com

34 10

Who are your athiest/agnostic heros?

It seems to me that we, as non-believers, tend to put people on a pedestal for expressing views that are similar to ours. Who are the people whom you put on a pedestal? Who do you feel is the best voice for your particular version of non-belief?

EricTrommater 9 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Still working on that, but definitely George Carlin will be on the list.

Sagan was also a good choice, as is Bertrand Russell, Spinoza, John Lennon for some of his lyrics is also a good choice. Einstein, I admire for his outspokenness at that time, but atheism or any real tenet was not really his focus. Carlin's wit was amazing, & he nailed it so often.

Carl Sagan. Without a doubt

George Carlin

None are on a pedestal, tho I read many. Or, watch videos of them. Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett, Harris (the Four Horsemen), Dillahunty, Shermer, Krauss (unfortunate tho that situation is right now), Silverman, Mills, Baker, Aron Ra, many YouTube "spokesmen", Godless Cranium, Professor Stick, Thunderfoot,...the list goes on. Don't know if I agree with every little thing some state, or everything they may actually do in life, but all have contributed something in the formation of my ideas, understanding & organization of my stance.

Amen to that....oops sorry Hear hear! lol

Carl Sagan for me.

Albert Einstein for those who dispute it [en.wikipedia.org]

I hope Einstein's lack of faith wouldn't be questioned here, but you never know.

Ricky Gervais is one of my favorite atheists 🙂

john lennon paul mcartney jim morrison castro hugo chavez evo morales gorbachov chris hadfield my uncle simon

Richard Dawkins Ricky gervais

Hitchens, Sagan, Carlin, Dawkins, Dillahunty, Harris. Many more also.
I have to always add Jerry DeWitt. He's the first graduate of the clergy progect and I found his videos on You Tube when I wasn't sure yet on the god issue. In just a short time I said "this man is me" and I knew I was atheist. It was only then that I knew what to call my lack of belief. Dan Barker gets more than an honable mention here. I like all these guys and more.

Thomas Paine, who was profoundly wise and forward-thinking. People of his time didn’t deserve him.

Marz Level 7 Mar 8, 2018

Love Paine but I think he was a deist.

@Fearlessfreep Thomas Paine was indeed a Deist. God or Nature‘s God or the uncaused cause ... whatever you want to call it, had established laws of the universe, made everything, and then went on to other things. No divine interactions, no churches, no religions, no prophets, no inspired writings or revealed wisdom, no miracles, no respect for any faith tradition… I can live with that!

It sure seemed like his deism was hanging by a thread. I give any deist the benefit of the doubt, if they existed in a time where they tortured and killed heathens and witches.

George Carlin and Bill Maher

Bertrand Russell, Robert Ingersoll, Carl Sagan and Hitch.

My first exposure to freethought was through the lecutres of Robert Green Ingersoll, and it was he who introduced me to my hero, Thomas Paine, the deist who eschewed all religions and who said, "My own mind is my own church," and who participated in two revolutions, thought slavery should have been eliminated in the Constitution, devised what we today call Social Security, designed an ingenious steel truss bridge, and who wrote Common Sense, The Crisis, The Rights of Man, Agrarian Justice and The Age of Reason. Thank you for asking this question.

I have no doubt that Paine would be an atheist if he were alive today. I love the de-conversion that’s shown in his writing from Common Sense to The Rights of Man to The Age of Reason.

Emma Goldman Author of Anarchism and other essays
Quotes
I'd rather have roses on my table than diamonds on my neck
If I can't dance I'm not coming to your revoution'
if Voting changed anything they'd make it illegal.
People have as much liberty as they have the intelligence to want, and they courage to take

One other idol, for many, many reasons...

Sir david attenborough and george carlin

Stephen fry and billy connoly

AdieG Level 4 Mar 8, 2018

Mine is Butterfly McQueen, one of the few prominent African American non believers we have. She is mostly known for her role in 'Gone With The Wind', and she had a number of other mostly racially stereotyped parts, that forced her to eventually give up acting. She once said, "As my ancestors are free from slavery, I am free from the slavery of religion".

Hitch, harris, krause, dawkins

Neil deGrasse Tyson <3 <3 <3

My hero's have all been family members. I may admire some people, but they are not my heroes.

Pedestal no, greatly value yes. There are many but these are the top (in no particular order):

Pat Condell for his acid wit
Matt Dillahunty for his mercilessness & plain-spoken bluntness
43 Alley for his disarming likeability & good/regular guy next door approach
Christopher Hitchens for his suavity & indignant outrage
Robert Ingersoll for his eloquence & warm sincerity
Carl Sagan for his broad perspective & intellectual rigor
Seth Andrews for his polished & well considered approach
Neil degrasse Tyson for his broad perspective & humor

quite a list

Where do I start...Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Stephen Hawking, etc.

Christopher Hitchens of course.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34249
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.