Agnostic.com

36 4

Dating a Christian?

So, I have been talking to this girl recently and we have been actually hitting it off pretty well. We have a ton in common and she is very pretty. We havent discussed it yet but it has become very apparent that she is a big believer. I tell her have a nice day and she says, "yes, by the grace of god i will." Now, im not the type of atheist who really cares what you believe, you can believe whatever you want as long as you don't try to push it on me. But, i also have a low tolerance for fairy tales and people who don't utilize logic in their everyday lives. I really like her but i think this could be an issue in the future. How would you proceed? Should i go for it or pull the plug now?

Jables 4 July 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was married to a xtian who said little to me at first, but after we were married the attempts to get me to be religious became incessant. However, I've heard others say that their marriages like that worked out fine. I guess it depends on the people involved.

Dude it can totally work. if she doesn't care what you believe or don't why should you?
I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of a good match because you don't align on your beliefs unless you think it will be a problem for you

Of course it is a big issue. Anyone who is having a nice day "by the grace of god" will sooner or later end up in tears over you because some invisible part of you is doomed to hellfire by an invisible man. I'm telling it just like it is.

For the record, have you heard of Lee Strobel? Long story short on this man he and his wife did not believe but secretly his wife and kids started going to church. Today Lee is said to be a big believer also after writing a book that was intended to disprove everything. It did not work that way and Lee wrote The Case For Christ, The Case For The Resurrection, etc. and there is the movie about it all and so forth. It seems very plain to me what Lee was doing. He was saving his marriage.I might add that these days it also makes him a pretty good living.

I saw the movie. Didn't explain much really. The plot idea was to re-inforce belief, not to question them

Go for it. I’ve been married to a Christain woman for 44 years and she’s a better woman than any of the Trump bashing, Obama loving, gun grabbing liberals

Very egocentric attitude! Sounds like your issue not hers. Either grow up or don’t waste her time. There are two of you in this!

Egocentric? Pretty sure deciding if you want to invest in a relationship with someone is all about the individuals involved. Or should he take a larger worldview in who he spends his time with?

@A2Jennifer Doesn’t sound like he’s discussed the matter with her and it’s all about him. Investing time sounds like relationship is contractual. Best to get the small print sorted before one goes out for dinner. The horror if she turns out not to be a vegan!

@Geoffrey51 yes choosing a partner is “all about him.” Who else would it be about? Once you pick someone then there’s an “us” but until then it is a matter of each person deciding whether the other is compatible with them.
And personally, my time and energy and emotion is too valuable to “invest” in someone who’s not a good match.

@A2Jennifer “l have been talking to this girl recently and we have been actually hitting it off pretty well. We have a ton in common and she is very pretty.”

They seem to have ‘invested’ a lot of time in each other so far. Looks like if his non-religious beliefs that are so important haven’t been discussed. If it’s a deal breaker way not be upfront from the outset. He has lead her along so far which is disingenuous if she’s the wrong colour model. This why I say grow up.

Discuss your deal breakers before people get hurt.

@Geoffrey51 fair enough. But it sounded to me like this OP did not realize this was a dealbreaker until experiencing it.

@A2Jennifer no reply to any of the good people who have responded. He’s also only posted twice since 2018 so nothing serious going on here.

Guys a waste of time. Nothing to see there!

Sure, go for it! She's probably a nice gal! Little gullible, but A-OK...

I tend to be pretty serious about relationships, so pardon me if this seems like it is looking too far ahead, but here it is:

I wouldn't want to risk falling in love with a woman who would insist on raising our children in superstitious nonsense and who would consider my atheism a threat to their well-being (just as I would consider her attempts to indoctrinate them a threat to their mental health as well).

Now you obviously can't ask her now regarding her attitudes about raising children in a mixed Christian/atheist environment, but I'm sure you can deduce her willingness to compromise and be respectful of your differences by her reaction to the news that you're an atheist. And yes, I agree with others who have said that you need to tell her promptly. If she's truly chill about it, then maybe there's hope, but if it looks like she has issues to work through with it, then it won't work long term if you plan to have kids. Issues are always harder with kids. If you are looking for a serious relationship w long-term potential, you should be looking elsewhere unless by some miracle 😉 she's actually quite easygoing about atheism.

I'm on the "you got to tell her NOW" team... She may choose to stick with it and try to change you. She may just want to be friends. Or you may change her with you persuasive, intellectual prowess. Who knows.. But you have to make sure she understands where you are now ASAP.. Good luck.

Pull the plug.

My experience has been that I married a Mormon woman when I was Mormon. When I discovered that Mormonism was a scam, I was excommunicated for apostasy, at which time my wife took the children and disappeared. I later got divorce papers. A difference of religion can cause a couple to split apart.

Take care to discuss your differences before getting too serious.

I was brought up Jewish and my wife Episcopalian. Early in our marriage we were almost totally secular. Then things changed when our daughter was born and we brought her up Jewish. My wife converted to Judaism and became VP of her temple. I'm a full blown atheist. It all makes for a lot of tension. To Jables, I would use religion as a litmus test and stay as far away from religious women and men.

I think you need to broach the topic. Good luck!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:368648
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.