Agnostic.com

28 6

Is a snake in the kitchen a message from the universe?

Maybe it's just me and I look at things superficially, but I have a friend who said she found a snake in the kitchen and it meant that the 'universe' was sending her a message. Why do simple observations of phenomena have to have a meaning? To me, it means , yeah the universe says plug up the hole leading to the kitchen or clean your kitchen better so that the smell of food doesn't attract rodents, etc.

Why do people attach imaginary meaning to simple occurences? Can't things that happen just be meaningless and just be things that happen? Isn't this just another form of 'a higher authority is watching me and wants to send me a message?' Or do athiests and agnostics do the same and I'm the odd ball out? (Which I'm getting used to 😉.

AwarenessNow 8 Mar 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

She's all wrong, it's spiders that send the messages. Trust me.

It's part of human DNA to look for patterns. Out of this trait grew superstitions. And, yes, even atheists have superstitions. So whenever my hand itches, I expect to get some money in the mail. LOL

I've just put some in the post to you 🙂

No. You couldn't have, because my hand isn't even itching. Good try though. 😀

I think the snake means there is a small hole in the structure of the house that allowed the snake access. .......or you left the outer door open unattended.

hmmm, I can't fathom any meaning out of it.
Sounds a bit "Life of Brian" to me. It must be a sign, follow the gourd.

Offhand, if the universe can't send a message more profound than "Here's a snake for you," It's safe to glance through your cosmic inbox very casually, and only once every couple of weeks. 😛

I've eaten a rattlesnake.

It was actually unremarkable.

Tasted like alligator.

But...alligator is tasty >:

The messages I would get are the kitchen is warm or the mice liked something in the kitchen the snake tasted them in the air and went hunting in the kitchen. Omens are a superstitious way to appease your ego so rational thought can be suppressed.

Is a snake in the kitchen a message from the universe?

Only if the snake looks at you and says, "Don't eat those apples, they will make you know the meaning of good and evil - and cover your privates with leaves before you get painted by religious artists."

I agree, and often times they’re the first to announce their ‘lack of religious belief.’ They don’t want to be connected to a formal religion, but appear eager to make up BS proclamations about circumstantial or mundane stuff…

I kinda lose it when folks begin describing research leading to ‘a human need to believe in something greater than ourselves,’ mainly, because I don’t, thus can’t relate.. Perhaps it gives some form of comfort to those coming up with this shit … assuming ‘someone or something’ has a handle on things! 😉 ...sounds like we’ve concluded that things are a total mess … including her kitchen 🙂

Varn Level 8 Mar 14, 2018

@Beach_slim You, nor I, so ‘correct.’

I’ve earned a “High opinion” of myself - with no help from those like yourself.

...curious, why would you ask someone apparently below your level of comprehension, anything..? ‘Anything greater in the universe than man?’ Don’t know, haven’t met it, but I’ll guarantee you one thing - it’s not using snakes in kitchens to communicate with us 😀

Reads like you’re in the wrong place…

Well, if I saw a snake in my room, I would call to have it removed. It could be someone's pet.

Those of us with pet snakes thank you.

@Zster You're welcome.

A snake in the kitchen is a message that you have a hole, somewhere in your house, big enough to admit a snake.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 18, 2018

Sometimes a snake is just a snake.

loo65 Level 3 Mar 14, 2018

Was an anaconda? lol

A snake in the kitchen means it might be time to have some work done on your house. Is that a message from the universe? Well, you’re sharing space with the universe, and one of your attending critters has found a way into your house. Do you want to share your space with those critters? If yes... congratulations, the universe says you can have snakes in your kitchen. If not... beware, the universe says there are snakes in the area and they can get into your house.

I have a garter snake that lives under the front porch steps, also a very large toad by the south side of the house. I see it as proof that my yard is friendly to all living things.

It's a superstitous throwback to having to have an answer when WTF?! is all you need 🙂

If it started talking is the time to worry .

A snake in the kitchen is the universe telling you it's dinner time! Catch that bugger and get some salted butter and a little old Bay seasoning (or Cajun seasoning) and cook the sucker up with a side or sauteed asparagus and portebellas with garlic.

Snake is good eating!

Roman Level 5 Mar 15, 2018

Rat snakes sometimes come into farm houses hunting rodents.
If I saw one, I'd probably keep it for a while to stroke it under the chin before releasing it outside. They love that!

it was probably a message that she needs to seal up around her pluming under the sink

We all have different ways of motivating ourselves and relating to our surroundings. A snake in the kitchen doesn't mean much to me, other than "Do I have anything to feed said snake?". So long as that meaning isn't Son Of Sam-ish, I think it is interesting to listen to what a person feels that message contains (and, truthfully, I am doubly interested if it is Son Of Sam-ish).

Well my take would be "Move out!" - "Move out now!". OMG???

Most of the people in my life are very pragmatic, and see the universe as it is according to their own eyes, without any attempts to infer meaning into it. I count myself fortunate in that regard, but I think it's because I'm so derisive of that kind of thinking that I only tend to be pleasant around people who share my views on the topic.

Which isn't to say that my friends are all atheist. Some of them are quite religious. They're just practical, and don't bother wondering what God means when something a bit odd happens to them.

Yeah, I...have no clue what that "sign" could possibly be. Did she say what she thought the message was?? This sort of thing bewilders me, honestly lol

It makes there lives seam magical and special.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37117
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.