Agnostic.com

103 4

Would you as an agnostic or atheist marry a Christian?

I've met a very beautiful woman on line. She and I share many common likes and dislikes, but she is Christian.

Would you personally pursue such a relationship? Why or why not?

AstralSmoke 8 Aug 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

103 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just divorced one. Frankly I would rather be single than even date one incapable of living and functioning in reality. I know that sounds harsh, but I don't trust one who makes choices based on pretend.

I agree. It's difficult.

Well actually I have. And the marriage did end in divorce. But it had nothing to do with a difference on the idea of religion.

Yes. An open minded one.

MrDMC Level 7 Aug 14, 2019

I have not come across one yet. Good luck.

I've never met one of those!

I don’t want to get married. But as far as having a meaningful relationship, yes, if we were very compatible in other ways and religion weren’t super important to them. I’m a liberal and have dated conservatives. I’m a vegetarian and date meat eaters. It’s all about respecting each other’s differences.

Now if the person were a religious fanatic who thought I was going to “hell” for the way I live, now that’s something else entirely. 😉

>I don’t want to get married.

Rotating multiple affairs is an art form.

@WonderWartHog99 I’m not sure what that means? I’m 100% faithful and committed to my partner. Not wanting to get married doesn’t detract from the depth and meaning of our relationship. I don’t do “affairs,” let alone “multiple rotating” ones.

@Apunzelle I’m not sure what that means?

Between marriages, I had affairs. Took me a decade to establish the state of "If this is Thursday, this must be Susan." During that time, I didn't want to get married.

Big deal for me was the old song "Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64?" It took serious hunting before I married again. More than a decade of rotating multiple affairs. Who says research can't be fun?

>I don’t do “affairs,” let alone “multiple rotating” ones.

Until you mentioned it, I had no idea what your domestic situation was. I was making a general observation not directly connected to you.

I tried it once and that is why I have an ex-wife...

I never want to be married again, but if I had a man who was Christian, I wouldn't care, as long as he didn't try to get me to be involved with it. Now, if he was a trumpist, that would kill it for me.

Sure. Why not?

if you loved someone it would be difficult to abandon that person b/c she suffers from a mental illness.

Nope!!

Not again. Fuck no.

No, as I get older I have trouble with the filter on my brain and mouth! My brain thinks it and my mouth says it and that's how the fight starts!

BillF Level 7 Aug 13, 2019

Christian as all religions are based on faith.

I believe a positive relationship should be based on mutual respect and honesty.

To accept then assert faith (belief without evidence) is a methodology to determine truth (things that can be demonstrated with facts) is dishonest.

As I do not respect dishonest people and value truth over superstition, I would not and do not engage with a theist on a social adventure.

Depends on how religious she is.

Depends on how open-minded they are and whether I thought they would try to push me into their religion.

Each situation is different but there aren't many in which I would pursue a relationship with a believer.

I was married for ten good years with and am still besties with a Christian woman. However, she said if there was a Buddhist temple nearby, she would probably be Buddhist. Great woman. Obviously not a FERVENT Christian. That I could not stand for a day, much less a decade, ha,ha!

My first wife was a "fallen away," as she called it, Catholic. We were married by a Lutheran minister friend of mine.
My second wife was raised as an Orthodox Jew, does not follow Judaism much, and we were married by a Unitarian minister and a Rabbi we located in lower Manhattan, N.Y.

Love the ‘but’. ‘But’ always was negates the previous clause that is used, to introduce a justification or even a disengagement for what you are about to say..

The statement you are really making with a preceding disclaimer is ‘She is a Christian’

Now the irrelevant nonsense is out of the way, the real question is should you pursue a relationship with a Christian.

If you have to ask that question you are possibly not ready to pursue any relationship. The whole scenario is narcissistic with no regard for the other person.

It has the same depth as asking should you have eggs or cereal for breakfast.

I love good, strong, negative remarks. Perhaps I wrote that intentionally to direct your response. Logical thinking will only get you so far in my head. No further. I wrote this question because I thought it would be a good post and receive lots of replies. My logic has proven correct so far.

@AstralSmoke Nice to have something a little different sometimes though isn’t it?

I had one of the most fascinating relationships with a born-again, dope smoking Christian. I remember when she asked me: "Will you stay with me for the rest of your life?" I replied: "No worries, I am convinced you will make sure it won't be a very long relationship!"
She was amazing to the point that even women chatted her up in broad daylight. When she moved it looked as is she was levitating. I guess she hovered on the clouds of dope and Jesus magma.

Smoking pot helps!

#DopeGod

I did, twice. 20 years & 18 years.

I want to do something like that. How do I keep them from learning about the other’s existence?

@DZhukovin
It was a case of serial monogamy. However, very near the end of the second marriage I started going out with someone else with the full knowledge of my now ex. It's been 5 years and I continue to maintain multiple simultaneous relationships and always with full awareness of my partners. Maybe someday I will again find the one that gets my full attention.
Life is too short not to explore everything.

@RileyStevens Okay. I guess regular beatings will keep them stable, thank you.

I am an atheist and attend two churches regularly. One is Catholic and the other is Mennonite-Amish. If I ever were to reveal that I was atheist, I would agree to follow all of the rules of the church of my wife, and would agree to raise my kids under that faith. Christian wives are too devoted to give up on, and the social benefits of fellowship with the church are valuable. The Mennonites and Amish pool their money together to help each other have farms, houses, vans for lots of kids, businesses. I mean, you have to give testimony and be baptized and such, but I don’t mind talking about the Bible and speaking “Christianese”. I was raised Catholic, so everyone there assumes I’m catholic as long as I do what everyone else does. I am trying to keep my “license” at both churches, in the hope that I might find a wife in either. There is nothing that exists that will make people drive 30 miles, rain or shine, and meet en masse, other than a church. There is nothing that exists for the population to be high enough that there is enough representation among each age group in order to have a sizeable group of each age group, other than a church. If you can find me an atheist church, great. All the people in the atheist groups near me are old and have suffered exclusions, setbacks, and delays for being atheists, or so it appears. There are no young women for me to marry in these groups, and I wonder, is it harder for females to be atheists or is it possible that they are working way worse jobs than I have? Anyway, even if I were to marry an atheist, I would still find it hard to stop attending church altogether, since I don’t want to make enemies. I also know that because I’m autistic, I lack mind reading skill, sometimes called “theory of mind” by philosophers, so I can’t see god as a person, just as a natural process in the universe that speaks through fractal geometry and quantum physics. I also have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, so in theory I experience a higher sensitivity and empathy than the average population, so the argument about god punishing the good and rewarding the bad seems a lot stronger to me.

Smart man

From what I've read you are looking for a wife and that is a strong drive. Don't both churches say that you are going to Hell at the end of the day though? It appears you are subverting self just so you can find a wife. To thine self be true! Aren't you really just lying till you get called on it? They like you to follow the rules. but they are concerned for your soul, Which you do not believe exists or their God

You're right if there's no god.

I would not, unless the potential relationship mate simply identifies as Christian, but realizes that much of the Bible is myth. There are many people who adhere to Christian values (the good ones anyway) and have respect for those of other faith and no faith as well. That kind of Christian might be a keeper.

No. Hell no.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:388520
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.