Agnostic.com

60 11

How to stop men from picking up a precious wood sculpture?

""Don't touch art" was a family rule when I was growing up. Terry and I taught that to our daughter. One-finger touching began when she was a baby.

But some men make a beeline for this white cedar loon bowl on my coffee table, picking it up with dirty hands. I cringe. Worse are guys who toss keys or change into the center.

"Don't do that!" I tell men. "That's art." ("Were you raised in a barn?" I think in disgust.)

I purchased this white cedar carving by Kwakiutl artist Lloyd Wadham, Sr. in 1984. His carvings are featured in art collector books.

"You need to keep the loon bowl in a plexiglass case," a professional art restorer advised.

Women show good manners and don't touch it. I have displayed it on my glass coffee table for 30 years. Some men feel entitled to handle whatever they want. Their poor manners appall me.

When children visit, I put it on a high shelf.

Your thoughts?

p.s. Thanks for your advice, everyone. I put a small sign by it: "Do not touch."

As with children, I will put it away when new men come over.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

60 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Things on the coffee table are there for everyone to touch. You don't get to make special rules.

Put it elsewhere.

@ MarkiusMahamius

Where were you raised, in a barn?

Don't touch people's belonging without their permission.

As @Triphid said, "A very nice work of sculpting, deserves to be admired BUT not touched in my opinion."

So one jackass comes into my house and sees my paycheck. Should he look at it? Anything on the coffee table is fair game? How about unopened mail? My doritos?

Sadly this is something society does not teach us men. We are hardly ever taught how to properly treat art. I recommend put it somewhere we won't be able to touch it. Else the typical male will think it's jist a bowl or a key holder or worse an ash yray

Seeing how my name is Art, I must be a expert.
Art is made to touch, and not touch. (not me)
Some types of art, are meant to be handled.
But,,,,,ask first!

A very nice work of sculpting, deserves to be admired BUT not touched in my opinion.

Try teaching. Students automatically assume they have the right to turn on the gas or water faucets in chem lab, play with equipment without being given permission or cleared. Its almost automatic, especially in male students.

t1nick

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Especially males, indeed.

Recommend barbed wire. Unless you think it would ruin the aesthetic qualities of the art, in which case I would use a glass display case.

Buy a glass cabinet and lock it in it.

Surrender, Dorothy! And put a damn sign by it. You are waaay overthinking a very simple problem, Dear Hiker.

Have you considered hanging it from the ceiling?

beautiful piece

skado Level 9 Aug 23, 2019

@skado

Thank you.

Fill it with cashews. Or maybe a sour cream based dip! 🍷🍷🙀

I agree you need to protect it by encasing it in a plexiglass box. The put a little lock on it. Most men do not have the education to know this is art compared to just a piece of bric a brac.

@misstuffy

Easier said than done.

@LiterateHiker It can be done, there are people who build these boxes for display and I bet if you look on Ebay you can find one there as well. Here in a link to one: [ebay.com]

@misstuffy

Thank you. I am looking up custom display boxes with bases.

@LiterateHiker You will like this one, its on a base and lighted and best of all it locks!

Well written piece...I say, Make those guys read it...
Personally, I don't touch art, and it disgusts me when people do defile art, like sitting on a giant shoe thinking it's a chair or picking up an obviously handmade piece and hefting it around..... one should ask first before touching....or is this not linked obvious to most people.....

@Falcone17east

Thank you for your support. Agreed.

They are not " awoke" and don't know it's fine art.

Date men who are not only hikers but have a sense or fine art....

Sorry, but as an artistic piece, it virtually asked to be examined and enjoyed from different perspectives. Don't display in the open it if you don't want people to touch it.

@wordywalt

Women show good manners and don't touch it. I have displayed it on my coffee table for 30 years.

In contrast, men feel entitled to handle whatever they want, including me. Their sense of entitlement and lack of manners appall me.

Keep your hands off my art.

Put it in a locked case

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 23, 2019

@bobwjr

Surrounding myself with art brings me joy. Don't want to lock it away.

@LiterateHiker just for when you have visitors who can't behave

@bobwjr

I cannot tell which men will pick it up. Women never do that.

It is gorgeous and I would want to “see” it with my hands. I love wood and it is hard to resist touching it. Yep, I probably would have been in your doghouse

CS60 Level 7 Aug 25, 2019

Men tend to be very pragmatic and functional and linear. Most of us would say, how am I supposed to know this thing is not to be touched if you don't say so? My default assumption is that it's an ash tray (I just said that to mess with ya; I don't even smoke).

Speaking only for myself, when entering someone else's home, I assume everything is valuable AND breakable until I figure out the territory. I don't put my feet up on the ottoman even though that's precisely what it's for and exactly how I use mine, until I'm sure the inhabitant shares that sentiment.

My wife is an interesting mix in this regard. She doesn't keep a perfectly immaculate house, but has less tolerance for clutter and then cleans it up less thoroughly than I would if it were left alone long enough to trigger me to clean. She doesn't give a fig about how long the grass is or how perfect the weeding is, which was a little deflating at first because it's what I know how to keep up to snuff and I was hoping for a little bit of credit concerning that. Now, in an ironic twist, I'm under doctor's orders not to shovel snow, and my wife doesn't do anywhere near as thorough a job as I would, as often as I would. But unlike most women in my experience and observation, I accept that those are MY standards, and if I can't do the work myself, I have to accept what other family members are willing to do.

It's the same with my stepson, he doesn't put stuff in the dishwasher as regularly or consistently as I would like, but that's MY issue and if I don't like it, I can put it away, right? I mean, a lot of the stuff we get upset about in that regard is just a demand that everyone else read our minds and care about the same things in the same way at the same time as we would. My stepson is not lazy, he cooks for us sometimes, he (eventually) does all his own laundry, and when he has a wild hair, he deep-cleans the house more thoroughly than I do, so why do I want to waste energy trying to get him to load the dishwasher "the Mordant Way"?

Applying that here, if you need the bowl to be admired from afar or handled with kid gloves if at all, then it needs to be in a less innocuous and accessible place, or you need to be well off enough to have a gallery room to display your valuable art. Living rooms are for living in.

OK, so in defense of the "uncouth" .... you have a flat surface. On that surface you have an object that looks like an ornamental bowl. How does that NOT say, "Put stuff HERE!!"??

I would advise filling the bowl with something that should not be disturbed further, like maybe a miniature Zen garden, colorful beads or marbles, wrapped candy, even a candle (though some unfortunate may actually use it as a candle holder <gasp>😉.

Alternatively, putting the item on a shelf clearly meant for display purposes could also help.

Sorry if I seem unsympathetic, it's because I am. I've come to respect living creatures more than "things". I for one do not want to live in a museum. If an item is that precious to you, it should be put where it is not likely to be touched or used. It should not be in the path of living creatures as a sort of "booby trap".

@Normanbites

My living room has no TV. Instead, it is filled with books, music, fine art and sculptures. No pets.

It's sad I had to put a "Do not touch" sign on it.

Although I bought it for $300 in 1984, it is worth $8,000 to $10,000 now.

@LiterateHiker If I were in your shoes, I would find that worrisome. Everything I value in life could be taken from me by a simple burglary or fire. I don't keep things, I treasure memories. To take those from me, the damage would have to be a lot more "personal". Just say'n .....

It's also why I don't keep anything of value in my car and I drive an old (reliable) clunker. If my car is robbed or stolen while I'm out to dinner, I haven't lost that much. And I'll still have the memory of a nice dinner.

@Normanbites

I have replacement insurance and live in a safe neighborhood. Worrying is a waste of time.

@LiterateHiker Well, on that much, we agree!! Have a great day!!

how about a sign with funny way of saying do not touch?

"Yes I am a duck, but I'm not your duck, so please don't touch" or something else you like? Your good with words, ....

@scout123456

"Do not touch" is concise. I don't want to make it a joke.

@LiterateHiker you could also put a drywall screw into it so it is nailed down to the table lol

@scout123456

Are you kidding? It's worth $8,000 to $10,000 now.

I would never desecrate or damage a work of art.

@LiterateHiker Holly cannoli Batman, is that duck insured? no wonder your ticked! Did you kick the guy in the nutmegs for using it as an ash tray? That duck needs a case before he becomes duck soup. Neanderthals are not house broken...

@scout123456

It's a white cedar loon bowl carved by the late artist Lloyd Wadham, Sr. of the Kwakiutl Native Tribe of Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

Lloyd Wadham, Sr. is famous. Pictures of his carvings are in art collector books. I bought it for $300 in 1984. He passed away in 1992.

[allaboutbirds.org]

@scout123456

Unfortunately, a few guys tossed their change or keys on it. I jumped on them with hobnail boots. They never did it again.

Since I never smoked, I don't allow smoking in my home or car. Refuse to date a smoker.

Years ago I had a retail store with water fountains. It was usually men and children who would put their fingers where the water came out, causing it to squirt all over. I put up signs asking people to please not touch/play with the fountains. Even this didn't fully prevent it. One time I witnessed a young girl tell her dad, as he was moving to impede the water flow, that he wasn't supposed to do that. It was frustrating, to say the least.

I’d like to think I’d have the sense not to, especially if nothing else in the context of the table seems to be functionally in use as a receptacle or place for drinks, but the thing that makes me want to instinctually touch it is the beautifully intricate texture on the wings. I love wood carvings. Who throws their change into someone else’s bowl, even if that’s obviously what the home owner is using it for though? That’s pretty strange unless it’s your child’s piggy bank or someone’s donation jar.

@Wurlitzer

Look but don't touch. Oils and dirt from your hands mars the wood.

Don't touch someone's possessions without their permission.

@LiterateHiker yeah, obviously, just stating why I think they’re doing it (besides lack of manners and sense). Guys are very tactile and if something is out in the open and looks like it has a function they’re liable to think it’s not a big deal or it wouldn’t be out there. If I was looking at it up close I think I can tell the difference between untreated wood that’s that sensitive and something that’s been sealed and meant for use, but I still wouldn’t presume to touch or use it unless invited to. The sign was a good idea for the less observant among us. None of the households I’ve grown up in have been decorated with anything not meant for touching on the coffee table, but when I walk into a home that is that nice I touch nothing. Or regardless, unless I know the person and their expectations well and it’s been previously established to be on offer.

Not sure what you will do, but it is a beautiful piece. I like how simple it is,but still captures motion.

@Heathenman

Thank you. I feel the same way.

The angle of the head gives it motion. Also, the raised wings and tail looks like it's floating.

Place it in a less easily accessible location... or invite a better class of men to your home.

@Charles1971

I never know until a man suddenly picks it up.

Before I read where you said you were putting up a sign, I was going to say put a velvet rope around it. That would send a clear message.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:392979
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.