Agnostic.com

26 1

Drop the Old testament?

Do you think Christianity would be better off if they dropped the Old Testament. Jesus was born a Jew, but I guess he was a Christian, too. The God of the Old Testament was horrible and murdered millions of people. Select A. for drop it or B. for keep it. No need to discuss that there should not be any Christians. I know we are all agnostic already.

• 17 votes
  • 14 votes
Grecio 7 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

jesus was NOT a christian. That label was put on him hundreds of years later.

Point taken...And Paul never met Jesus. Paul was the founder of Christianity.

if someone wants to save christianity then they need to:

1. admit that the stories of their bible are metaphors and written by man
  2. admit that their "god" is just a personification of the universe as a whole
  3. begin to preach that the message of jesus is just love. all inclusive love. love one another. no exclusions or caveats or conditions.

these things would save it.

At least then the believers could be ignored for the most part

Christianity doesnt get any better by dropping the old testament only. Just drop old, new, whatever version, don't matter. If you pick a turd out of a rubbish pile, it's still a pile of rubbish

Hahahahaah.... well said, my friend.

It's all bullshit, you want to drop the old bullshit to keep the new bullshit? At the end old or new, it remains being crap.

Up Next: Hansel and Gretel - Victims of child abuse or witch killing murderers?

• and why is there no "drop all the testaments" option?

jesus, if he existed (which is doubtful) was not a christian. a christian is a follower of "christ." since christ doesn't actually mean messiah, as a jew he would not believe in a christ and therefore not be a christian. it would make no difference to christianity whatsoever to drop the old testament, since, for one thing, the old testament is not a jewish text anyway; it is a highly edited and mistranslated imitation of the hebrew bible, and for another thing, it at least might have some tiny bit of distorted history in it, where as the christian bible has none, except for mentioning romans, who definitely existed, and some specific romans who also definitely existed. since the god of the old testament was jesus' god, it does no good to drop him, since 1. he is supposedly still there, in jesus, and 2. what is NOT horrible about revelations and the apocalypse and all that? that doesn't count as horrible? and by the way we are not all agnostic. some of us are atheists.

g

Well put. That's exactly where my thinking lies

Point taken, well put.

I can't see what difference it would make.

Best reasons ever:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual "uncleanliness" - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there degrees of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14) I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan.

James M. Kauffman, Ed.D. Professor Emeritus, Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education, University of Virginia.

PS (It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian)

It is all made up anyway!
Paul's letters have enough shit, they don't even need the old testament

Not my testament.

I like the Old Testament. That’s where a lot of the stupid stuff is. Talking snake, talking donkey, fish that swallows man, and all of Moses crazy antics! Just to name a few. I would hate to lose Greek mythology and all the other mythologies too.

Agree there, it makes for scary reading to keep the idiots in line.

I think having the Old Testament highlights their hypocrisy.

As an atheist I couldn't care less but the old testament, particularly the first five books is much more interesting than the new testament, anyway Jesus was a devoutly religious Jew so it would be ridiculous to drop it.

No one can convince me Leviticus is more interesting than anything else.

@UpsideDownAgain i am rather fond of the stories concerning david and his family. i think the begats are the least interesting (and the most likely to be fact-based, which explains that). but i don't care what christians do, to tell you the truth, as long as they leave me the hell alone.

g

@genessa Well, yes, the stories are rather interesting. My favorite is the one where the woman poses as a prostitute to get her father-in-law to sleep with her and then he's about to have her killed until he finds out he's the father of her baby.

@UpsideDownAgain that was indeed king david.

g

Who cares? Why would an atheist keep any of it?

Keep it. It reveals the failed foundation of all Judeic religions.

It's almost like asking would God be better off without his negative aspects? Sure, if he existed. But...

Seeing as there is no “drop both testaments” option, I’ll go with A. Half is better than none.

Jesus makes no sense without reference to Adam, unless he's seen in a Gnostic light.

Yeah it's so violent and contrary to today's morals.

Carin Level 8 Sep 19, 2019

Taxation is something that is a carry over from old testiment called a tithe. This is 10% of a person's increase or income.

one tenth of annual produce or earnings, formerly taken as a tax for the support of the Church and clergy.
verb
pay or give as a tithe.
"he tithes 10 percent of his income to the church"

Word Level 8 Sep 18, 2019

No, because the new T only makes sense in the light of the old T, and dropping it is only allowing and condoning more cherry picking. The point of a religion like Christianity is that there is so much often contradictory text available, that its followers can cherry pick whatever they like, to justify what they like, they already move on as wanted and pick the bits they want and find interesting.

What is shameful however, is that having cherry picked to the extent that it is the equivalent of making it up themselves, they then attempt to claim that they have the authority of god behind their beliefs because their holy book comes from god. Like having your cake and eating it.

Yet the talibaptists always go back to the Old Testament for their references. Like cherry picking Leviticus and for support of slavery.

@RonWilliam53 Talibaptists... hahahah never heard that one.. good one.. funny

Consider that future laws of government could be like this futuristic government portrait of mark of the beast-666 like in this movie. Jaywalk and computers monitoring you with the mark automatically fine you for Jay walking.

Let me explain the biblical story line and theme so you can understand the old testiment is not per say "in practice". Obviously, the old testiment is long and full of the laws of Moses and writings consider the prophesies of the prophets amongst some other writings. I will not going into all by anymeans, but just touch this major theme for your question.

#1 This is considered a duel meaning and purpose prophesying (God/lord/Jesus) would be the sacrifice lamb. Abraham answered, "God himself will provide the lamb ... Genesis 22:8

#2 Laws of Moses comes along and established sacrifice of lambs. No one can obey all the laws perfectly so the lamb is the fine per say for violating the law (sin/crime and lamb is considered as value because otherwise it would be food but to pay like a fine for the violation).

#3 The LORD Almighty will bless them, saying, "Blessed be Egypt my people, Assyria my handiwork, and Israel my inheritance." Isaiah 19:25

The lord of Israel in old testiment was Egyptian according to prophet Isaiah. You can research about Osiris, out side of biblical text, along with morning star mythology, if I am not mistaken it has connection but the Osiris details I am not as versed on still working on my understanding or study of it.

#4 According to what was written Jesus become flesh*a person) said "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.Matthew 517

#5 So then Jesus is considered the "living" sacrafice as like a constant fine payer as to pay the fine fulfill prophesy and bring people to obey laws of government SO killing sheep as per the Moses law is no longer practiced. Look up the current laws or legal system of the nation of Israel. From wikipedia:Lamb of God (Greek: Ἀμνὸς τοῦ Θεοῦ, Amnos tou Theou; Latin: Agnus Deī [ˈaŋ.nʊs ˈde.iː]) is a title for Jesus that appears in the Gospel of John. It appears at John 1:29, where John the Baptist sees Jesus and exclaims, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world."[1]

#6 Beast is a metaphor for laws of government. Revelations speaks of these Beast and Paul makes a comment about the laws of Moses feast etc. that they are a shadow of things to come. Now, we still have laws of Government and new world order that is like a beast but not a world living by "law of the jungle". Mark of the beast is Identification for taxation and government control. Birth certificate, social security number and photo identification as leading toward what could be an actual mark. But otherwise to say you are marked is like saying you have an identifier or a mark.

A lot more could be explained but for now I would hope you understand that the old testiment is not specifically intended to be in practice now days but can be used for teaching morals and such as preachers commonly do.

There has been a Jesus only movement for years. One such meeting place is close to me and called NHIM. Meanwhile, more cherry picking continues.

I can't understand how Christians can say that the entire Bible was written by God, and it should be taken literally. There are hundreds of contradictions. How can anyone take it literally? I don't think Christians even listen to what they are saying. Modern Christians don't even care if the Bible is true.You would think that with all the praying, there would be some evidence that praying actually does any good, but there isn't any evidence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:403434
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.