Agnostic.com

54 12

Did you ever find your calling? Or, are you still looking?

Have you been satisfied with a field of work? Or, are you still looking for the "right thing?"

Ever career change?

I've had two major career paths. A business major who was in Project Coordination & Social Work, then Finance... went to teaching. And, none was my "calling." Perhaps there is no such thing, but I haven't ever had a very fulfilling career that felt like a good fit. You?

silvereyes 8 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

54 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am very lucky that (1) my calling is something that makes a good living and (2) I found it early in life. The only thing that sucks is the massive student loans which at 55 I am just on the verge of repaying.

Yes I did finally. Turns out my calling is retirement. If I had only known!

skado Level 9 Mar 22, 2018

I've come to the conclusion that I'll never actually get a job that I'm passionate about, because if I do, I'll lose my passion for it. I've got to keep my work and my hobbies separate, or my hobbies will become as boring as my job.

yes I did and that's my art

Great for you, you have to love your art, or get a real job. I perfer my unreal job of art too.

im disabled @Castlepaloma or I would get a "real job" thanks anyway and thank you @silvereyes

I agree but I'm self-taught and haven't got a name @silvereyes so snobbery wins but I won't stop. I won a competition in my town and 14 miles radius of all artists amateur and professional. the number of snobs looking at the name rather than the quality of the work said everything really. I made my mind up then to sign nosey rather than my signature and have ever since unless their friends and then I give them a choice. I did want to put nosey c%$t at the time but I thought that might be a bit strong lol. some of the pottery ive done I've written clumsy twat inside.thank you by the way x

Good stuff

thank you

Find my calling? Hell I can barely remember where I put my phone..

lol very good

I think I'm one of those people that were never meant to do one thing. I've had a varied work life where initially each job was good and interesting but it didn't usually take long, only a couple years before I started to get restless. Many things interest me, but nothing has continued to hold my attention. I may be a Jill-of-all-trades.

I've been doing the web development thing since college — so about 20 years — but I feel pretty burned out. I have experience in graphic design, logo design and branding, promotional writing and editing, and so on, so I may try focusing on PR and marketing when I move on from my current job.

Still looking.

I rather feel that I have several, which is part of the reason I have not achieved nearly any of them.

I feel bad answering in the positive since everyone else seemed to answer negatively. My entire life I had wanted to be a pilot in the Air Force (just like my daddy). While I did have to join the Air Force without a pilot slot waiting for me, I was very fortunate because less than a year in I was selected for pilot training. I had a nice fun career; recently retired, but still working in aviation and still working on an Air Force base (Altus AFB, OK).

I know what a thrill flying is, I've taken some training. If I had known when I was 18 how much I loved flying I would have done what you did. Congratulations!!

I have too many callings. Too many awesome things to do in this world. I could never narrow it down to one. Maybe you're the same.

my calling was to stay flexible, so i kept adapting to whatever opportunity or need or desire should arise. all this ended up becoming a curriculum vitae that would confuse even me. call me the wanderer.

Many years ago I went to a career counselor at a local college. I wasn't attending, but it was a college for women, and to new attract students, they were offering a number of summer programs, seminars, and non-credit courses, so I gave it a shot. I was enormously glad I did.

I had been working in business, banking and insurance, but found so much of it boring. Tried to take a class in basic risk management theory and literally fell asleep. The Career counselor provided a series of tests - most of the standard ones that they use - personality, aptitude, interest, etc. As they came back we discussed each one, and guess what? I was in the wrong job! After about 2 months of weekly one-on-one meetings, we came up with a plan to help me get into something more suited for me. Within a year, I was working at the same company but making about 15% more money and was much happier - I actually looked forward to going in.

I did make a few more job changes, but knowing what my skills, talents and job needs were really helped more than I ever would have expected. Hope that helps!

Only if shout really loud and the sound waves bounce off the walls. lol, Too many interests to settle on one.

Find my calling? Sometimes, I can't even find my phone!

Seriously, in high school, I wanted to be an Electrical Engineer. Later, I moved toward the IT world and gave it a good run. What I have discovered is that I LOVE to build people up and help them find what is best in themselves. What that will lead me to do, I have no idea, but it will be fun and fulfilling. Meanwhile, as a Sound Engineer, I get to do some of that by helping people sound the best they can, whether it is a vocalist or just someone wanting to play some CDs. This'll do, for now.

I dunno. I've always been a book worm and writer, so majored in English in college, with no definite idea how that would earn me a living.

Sure enough, there's no money in it, but at least it's something I will actually do, and it gives me space to move around and have variety. I don't agree with public school methods and most universities only hire part-time, or adjuct, professors, to avoid paying benefits.

The best I found was teaching ESL overseas in Thailand, where I can actually make a living because of low cost of living, but I did teach ESL at a university for a year, before they closed the program due to recruitment scams.

Yep. I am working my first real job that I started in 98(was layed off for a few years in the middle) and it is everything I've ever wanted. I am making more than average for my neighborhood and enough to live comfortably, but am still making quite a bit less than median pay for my job title and experience, but I have freedom and I work in a market I find satisfaction in. It is amazing.

I found my "calling" a long time ago but it doesn't pay the bills. Being a novelist has always been my goal and no other job or career path has ever paid all my medical bills let alone satisfy my passions. I self published my first novel a few years ago while I was unemployed but I didn't make much money and experts say it takes a lot of luck to make anything choose to a living as a novelist until you have at least 5 books published. A hooked reader needs another book to pick up when they finish reading the first or they move on. I'm trying to write a sci-fi series now but it's a slow process..

Good luck in finishing the first five!

I think I found at least the general area where I'm happy. Will I remain happy? Maybe, if not, I'll shift. One thing certain though is that regardless of what I do it will have something to do with life sciences. Application may vary but this is where I feel like I belong

I've worked in skyscrapers, I've worked in barns, and a few things in between along the way. My resume reads like a kaleidoscope. An old hard-boiled abstract expressionist painting professor once told me to have a variety of experiences. I must have thought that sounded pretty good. It hasn't been too bad too often, or too fun too seldom. what's next?

your description of a life well lived so far sounds refreshingly like my own life's experience - including the painterly guidance - of a sort 🙂

it's been interesting often enough if nothing else..... but I guess it has been something else from time to time...lol.

That's a broad range of disciplines you got to experience.

I'm doing now what I wished when I was 15. I was introduced to computer programming and was 'blown away' by the possibilities.

But growing up a strict Catholic, I always joked that I would be a priest. Being an atheist is the polar opposite. 😛

At this point I hope it's not having one.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm interested in so many things and I've been employed in many things. I've had more than 10 different careers or businesses in my life and nothing has really taken hold and just consumed me. Don't get me wrong I've loved several careers and businesses but nothing seemed to provide the level of joy and income I was looking for. I've had one of my businesses for 28 years and loved it when it was good. but ever since 2000 it was never the same. I've just started two more businesses based around my passion for writing and my passion for motorcycle trips and I'm hoping one or both of them we'll really take off. Hang in there, you'll find something eventually. It's hard when you're good at several things and your interested in multiple things because it makes it hard to choose. In some ways I admire those who are only really interested in one or two things. It makes choosing a career much simpler, but then you lose some of the variety of life.

I've found my calling. I just have to go through the training required to have a chance of getting hired.

Google Team Rubicon. They are going to hire me, they just don't know it yet.

I think my calling went straight to voice mail.

I gave my original career choice at least 15 years. Luck was not on my side and so I moved on.

The last thing I've been doing I really like, but the landscape is changing faster than I can adapt. No clue what the next 10 years will look like for me, but ironically, I'm trying to get into Social Work now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41158
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.