Agnostic.com

29 6

Sex appeal in workplace?

Should women use sex appeal in the workplace? Exclude workplaces that "require" sex appeal!
Does this not damage the idea of women being equal in the workplace? Earning their keep like majority men have done. Skill set, intelligence, personallity or good work ethics?
Now i know still to this day men hold most of the authoritative power in most companies? Therefore making those decisions.

RiddleMeThis 4 Nov 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm pretty sure I understand the argument about sex in the workplace. I think we'll go through a phase where the principle of the thing will be judged more important than anything else and then revert to our human desire for the opposite sex, flirting and doing the bold thing with workmates. It makes me think of the time the Puritans took over in England and the people couldn't wait to get back to being ruled by decadent kings.

No one should use sex appeal in the workplace. Ever. For any reason. Totally inappropriate.

I agree. It is like playing with fire. So much can go wrong.

@Unity exactly. No one should view sex appeal as a legitimate part of the work environment. Really dangerous.

Workplaces are filled with humans. I received several jobs and a couple of promotions due to sex appeal even though I was not trying to use it. I lost a couple of promotions because I did not play that game. I have seen a few exceptional women get promoted for their work ethic and intelligence alone. I have seen a few women climb the ladder of success flat on their back. I think women have to work almost twice as hard to get promoted without using their sex appeal just like other minorities even though we are often not a minority by our numbers.

None of that answered the question posed but will perhaps explain my answer. Sex appeal should not be used in the workplace however this is one area that cannot be avoided because people are people. Employers should not be allowed to require sexual favors of their employees and women who use their sex appeal in the workplace make it harder for women who don't therefore they should be ostracized.

I have 99 problems , and apologizing of how I look ain't gonna be one of them .
I wear scrubs for living . And adidas . And ain't tight scrubs or fancy ones . And a mask . And I have a tone of hair to worry about and keep restrained . If so and so penis still finds me sexy or whatever the hell , what I supposed to do ? Worry about that too ?

Nope their problem not yours

Using sex appeal in the workplace is a slippery, dangerous slope.

Personally, I try to use intelligence, reasoning and humor. It's safer.

@RiddleMeThis

Employees feel resentment when someone sleeps their way to the top. Of course it's unfair.

It's illegal for a boss to expect employees to have sex with him/her.

@RiddleMeThis

Did you mean "sheer" shirt, as in transparent?

To "shear" is a verb, as in shearing sheep.

It seems that you are implying women are choosing sex appeal.
That’s an odd statement to me. You are basically arguing against yourself by how you set this up.

First of all sex appeal varies from person to person.
If a person finds someone else ‘sexually appealing’ that is entirely on them.
You can not blame the way a person looks, the clothes they wear, fashion sense, makeup, or anything about them as being “sex appeal.”

So no this does not damage women.
Oppression damages women.
Inequality damages women.
Misogyny damages women.

And unfortunately you are also damaging women with your way of thinking.
Dress and look however you wish.
It should have zero influence on your ability and job function.

@RiddleMeThis
I didn’t say you are “damaging women by saying we are more than sex objects.”

Your implication was that certain women are choosing to Use sex appeal.

You already stated you were going to create a more specific post next time. That would solve some issues here with replies.

However, clothes are just clothes.

Tall, good looking men with great hair get more promotions than others. Is that using sex appeal?
The sad fact is, the better looking someone is, the more likely they are to be promoted, listened to, respected.

How are you defining sex appeal? Women have sex appeal to men just by the mere fact that they are women...that is just a natural fact. What I believe you are trying to say is should women dress in such a way as to conceal rather than reveal the fact that they are attractive to men, or perhaps not wear make-up to work in order to look less attractive. If that is what you mean then my answer is most definitely that they should do exactly as they please in this respect. I personally never leave the house without being smartly dressed and wearing lipstick and mascara, why I would be expected to do anything differently to go to work I can’t imagine.

I read the question 180 degrees from you-I read it as should women flirt or tease or dress more sexually to advance their careers.

@RonWilliam53 Then the answer I would give to that question is a definite No! But that isn’t what was asked..at least not in my reading of the question.

By his double standard men should not shave or comb their hair or deodorize their armpits nor wear attractive clothing....sex must be eliminated from the workplace to prove equality of pay for performance

I understand what you're saying, but in the work place I say use what you have to get ahead.
Nothing wrong with being attractive, AS WELL as smart, educated, well-trained, socially-skilled, you name it.

It’s not that simple. It never is.

Being a short bald male of average looks, I use what little intelligence & charm I possess to attract women. What? Should I not display my intelligence at work? That won’t go well for my career.

Do whatever you think is appropriate to get by and get ahead. Good luck ladies.

@RiddleMeThis I think he meant he doesn't feel he has "the looks" so he makes up for it with personality.

@RiddleMeThis Of course, personality and looks aren’t the same. They both have sex appeal and I never said that I don’t have sex appeal. That’s my whole point.

As someone who, over the course of 20 years in a career, has witnessed more couples of different rank in relationships than I can count on a long day, and against regulations as they have almost all been between direct supervisors and the staff under them (no pun intended)- I'm going to say "no". It causes nothing but trouble.

Both sexes do it and we shouldn't. The excuse is that we want to be attractive but "modestly" so.

I’m very lucky I feel that the people promoted at my workplace are promoted due to their knowledge and skills and not based on their looks/ flirting ability. But we do not have contact with the public.
The New Scientist did a study a while back where they found that people of both genders perceived women with lipstick on as more competent, so there may be something in being what society expects in some ways.
We all pass a probationary period and no company wants dead weight around surely, whether they flirt or not?

There is no equal;ity in the workplace, or in life generally ... it is simply an idea to allw equality to 'exist'. all people are different in skills, in intelligence, in strength, in looks and we all adapt our lives tp use our attributes to get whatever we want, with varying degrees of succrss.
whether we do it deliberately, or subconciously, we all use sex appeal (and other attributes) throughout the day in every aspect of our lives

It has no place. Best to use intelligence, indefatigable work ethic, attention to detail. It absolutely undermines efforts at equality.

Generally speaking, I believe everyone should use whatever they need to to achieve their goals. The people who respond to a woman or man's sex appeal while ignoring more qualified people are the ones who are demeaned.

I say no... because it feeds into the stupid societal idea (probably created by threatened lesser male workers) that women only get their jobs or positions but using their sex appeal... not only that, it creates a work culture where men begin to EXPECT women to use their sex appeal and then if you don't, the guys treat you like you have or will anyways. It is bad for women overall imo.

At the same time, most men did NOT get their positions due to meritocracy..... meritocracy is a myth and most workers, of all genders, got where they are due to contacts and relying on their cultural capital. Fact.

True ... workplace politics are about alliances and stock manipulation....it is rare for a company to have BOTH union contracts and management contracts enforced on productivity ....executives get obscene salaries so they can bribe lobbyists and politicians lawyers and judges

No! I was a male nurse in a female dominated profession & this wasn't an issue. I think it's mostly in the mind, unless you're goal driven.

As an individual who labors in solitude, I don't want to think about how this applies to me.

Why should they unless it's personal choice

Men start businesses because they want to. Nothing stopping women from creating and holding power positions.

As far as sex appeal wherever. Just use what you have and do what works. Period. Judgements of others means little.

SCal Level 7 Nov 12, 2019

So you are saying men are not sexually attractive to women?

"McDonald's CEO Steve Easterbrook out after 'poor judgment' involving relationship with employee"

[finance.yahoo.com]

Who cares? They can do whatever they want. Up to them.

@Gwendolyn2018 good, because you would do what you want and the others also would have done what they wanted.

The problem is that often the employer or managers assume every woman is willing to use their body for promotional purposes. Just because Jane doesn't mind Mr. Boss rubbing her butt in passing her, it doesn't meet its okay with anyone else.

@RonWilliam53 wrong assumption from their parts, that's why there is a law against that plus the me too movement.

You ask many questions. Seek guidance and wisdom of one who is experienced in these things. Seek Donald Trump*

*This post was meant as sarcasm and satire. Donald trump has nothing to do with guidance, wisdom, experience, common sense or reality. Seek help for an erection lasting more than four hours. We suggest Melania Trump.

Dressing a particular way and some gestures are very culture specific. Similarly on other side how the dress or gesture or tone is interpreted and evaluated depends on cultural context. So discussion should specify the cultural backdrop - is it north american wasp ? Is it an asian city like Delhi ? Or a government outpost in Papua New Guinea ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:421482
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.