Agnostic.com

179 4

WHAT'S YOUR POSITION ON ABORTION ?

Yes...No? Do you base your position on religion or science? Does the woman have the right to chose?

DUCHESSA 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

179 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't believe it should be used as birth control. that being said there are times when we find ourselves in a situation that would not be congenial for a new baby. having a child is a major responsibility adoption isn't always the answer for everyone. Abortion is a very personal decision and should not be taken lightly. it's her body her decision.

Please, di tell me who in her sane mind uses abortion as a form of birth control.

You just contradicted yourself...

I say yes, as a second child from a family that only wanted 1child my mom's right to have had an abortion and follow through with it privately should have been upheld and protected. Having a child just to torture, abuse, indocrinate and retaliate against for that child attempting to self identify and escape abuse proves that for psychological well being and health supporting Roe v. Wade and making sure women have the ability to make decisions between doctors in privacy without the State or Federal Gov't imposing religislated requirements is a violation of a patients rights. Growing up as an unwanted child is not fun nor does it get better.

Totally the choice of the woman until the fetus reaches a certain developmental stage.
I don't believe there are any ideal situations a woman has who doesn't want to have a child other than abortion.
The adoption process can be difficult and very slow at best sometimes (I know this first hand.).
Another child being dumped into the foster programs in this country isn't good either.
There's no reason for a mother to a give birth to a child she doesn't want or a child who will be miserable within 'the system'.

The problem with the adoption process is not the problem...the nine months to produce a child for adoption are. If a woman doesn't want to become a mother WHY TO FORCE HER TO BEAR NINE MONTHS OF CHANGES AND RISKS? This is very selfish on the part of society.

@DUCHESSA I meant to say "The length / difficulty of the adoption process...."

I believe that the woman has the right to decide whether she will abort. I do not believe that one can be against abortion and also be pro-choice. We know that after conception we carry a potential new human ((six weeks after conception the new one is already dreaming) however, not everyone believes that we have to facilitate every pregnancy being a live birth. I sure don't.

Pro choice, 100%. The anti- choice, pro forced birth crowd seem to think women who choose abortion are caviler about it or are using it in lieu of more readily available forms of birth control. No woman comes into the decision of having an abortion lightly. And let's not pretend the issue is about " murdering babies". If the anti choice crowd truly cared about the babies they would be pushing for comprehensive science based sex education, affordable contraception, guaranteed maternity leave, etc. etc. Instead they would have it so a woman would have less body autonomy than a corpse in order to punish woman for having sex.

GwenC Level 7 Nov 19, 2017

As a gay man it’s not for me to tell a women what to do with there body’s this should apply to ALL MEN .

It is actually safer to th elife of a woman to have an abortion than it is to carry to term. I think because of that greater risk to a wojman's life, it shoudl be up to her to decide. The ideal of forcing a woman to carry to term at the greater risk to her life, to me would be indicative of a path away from personal freedoms, where others get to dictate how you live your life.

I actually consider my stance to be "pro-life" in the sense that I value the life of the living above the unborn. I value the lives of people who are already here, and believe we shoudl take care of those already here, before we look at tryign to protect those who are not yet here.

zgee, I really enjoyed reading your answer.

men, mind your own business!,women look after your own and yourselves

I'm not for it, but unless it's mine, its none of my business.

If lhuman life is not sacred then we have nothig to say. Infanticide, murder, genocide, and whatever else we identify as a means to reduce the population are ok. However, if human life is sacred the discussion changes. We have a situation where the most valuable entity on the planet is being murdered. Then we are in the wrong no matter how we want to frame the discussion.

See, what you see as human life I see as nothing but an embryo that can -and in many instances is- rejected by the woman's body. Yes, recurrent / spontaneous abortions caused by "lack of communication" between the immunologic system and the embryo.
Dear, an embryo is not a child,

@DUCHESSA We can frame this as being true only if we define what is in the womb as something different than human life. If we define this being as just cells or like a few things put together and dehumanize the child in utero, we feel free to do what we want. In all situations where we define humans as being less than human, we treat them as not sacred. The tactics of all genocides, including abortion, lead to the killing/murdering of people.

@noseenobelieve Turn it over as many times as you want...but i dare you to eat in front of a fetus (in a glass tube of course) and then to tell me how cute it is. No, dear, it is human in the embryological sense but with no independent life.

Your "pro-life agenda" doesn't make any rash on me...and for you to even attempt to force others to think as you do is arrogant ..to say the list.

It is my body! My decision! I'll do everything to have control over my body. It is, simple, a matter of self defense. If your church, religion or god wants to control MY body, they are as good as dead! Fuck them all!

@noseenobelieve Historically, even religions have defined a fetus as non-human. The Catholic Church allowed abortions up until the Civil War before 'quickening'. Judaism did not define a child as a human until its first birthday.
A blob of cells is not, to my mind, a person. I think you must posit the existence of a soul to make your argument. I do not believe in souls and I certainly do not think that a collection of cells is not a person until it has the capacity to live independently of the mother. Otherwise, how is a cancerous tumor not a 'child'. It, too, is a collection of cells growing within the body of a huan.

Infanticide, Genocide, Murder... What’s this a bible study. 😂

Your body, your decision

Woman's body, woman's choice. No one else's business beside her doctor's.

And who the h...ll is her doctor to opine outside of the medical issue?

Against late term abortion. Abortion in first trimester only.

Late term abortion is wrong...unless the pregnancy posses a risk for the woman's life.

My body. I abort a pregnancy anytime I want!

In 1983 I was pregnant. I was SO Excited! I was also 25, and fairly newly married. I had just gotten out of the military and joined my husband who was still active duty. At 4.5 months they did a sonogram, which I did not get the results of for a month. The baby had some anomalies, we were being referred to an Air Force Medical Center that had better ultrasound equipment and high risk maternity care. My husband was put on temporary duty to go with me. There they did more ultrasounds, x rays, genetic testing, everything. We were there for a week. The baby had multiple neural tube defects: spina bifida, anencephaly, and the front line didn't close. The danger was if I continued the pregnancy there was danger of miscarriage due to excess amniotic fluid build up caused by the anencephaly. If I went to term and delivered the baby would be born with brain damage due to the anencephaly and spina bifida. We chose to abort, and due to being so far along I had to deliver. The brain detached during birth. The baby also had cleft lip and cleft palate. The stomach, liver, and other organs were protruding from her body. She had NO hope of normal life. IF we went by your preference I would have been forced to carry to term and may have died. Ya know, I'm glad you weren't consulted. I have three healthy daughter and two grand children. Your opinion is worth exactly and precisely nothing when it comes to a body that isn't yours.

@HippieChick58 I don't know if you are addressing me...I don't think so..........If I was there when you decided to abort / deliver i would have supported you all the way.

@DUCHESSA actually I was addressing @Lochowitz6411.

I believe that all women should have a right to an abortion. Women should be able to choose what happens to their bodies. Also, most abortions happen in the early stages of pregnancy and are a simple procedure. They don’t involve the chopping up of full grown fetuses like the conservatives want you to think.

No all conservative want you to believe "fetuses are chopped to pieces". I am a conservative and pro-choice.

If the foetus is found to have a mental or serious physical defect which would mean they needed care for their entire lives then I believe it should be compulsory.

I am pro-choice. IAW, even in a situation such as the one you describe to abort (or not) should be the woman's decision.

@DUCHESSA Not when the NHS have to pay for the care for the child's entire life.

@PeterMetcalfe1 With your way of thinking any baby who is born with a condition no detected during pregnancy should be eliminated? Sounds Nazi to me.

@DUCHESSA that's not necessarily a Nazi view. There were other vile, psychopathic despots who shared that view.

@JimG Well, to me his comment was Nazi

@DUCHESSA I call it compassion. I wouldn't want anyone do everything for me and I'm sure you wouldn't either. I would rather not exist, and if I was aware of what was going on I would be angry for allowing me live.

@PeterMetcalfe1 I assure you if what you describe was the true...you will be hoping for those medical advances that have solved many of the birth defects some people suffered

@PeterMetcalfe1 Again, it's not within your purview to make that choice. They used to say that about fetuses with Down Syndrome, and they are the sweet, happy, lovable children

@TheoryNumber3 Yes but they still require care for their entire life, which is my point.

@PeterMetcalfe1 And in your original post you mentioned NHS..........Are you aware that this child's parent have contributed to said NHS?

Yes a woman should most certainly have the right to choose. Of course, if I’m going to be pro-choice, I must insist on realistic and relevant sex education and free or low cost access to birth control including condoms because an unwanted pregnancy could be the least of a woman’s concerns.

To me it’s common sense. If a woman is raped, forcing her to have her attacker’s baby is like raping her all over again. Also, let’s not forget girls as young as 11, some even younger, can get pregnant. There’s no sane reason to think a girl that young having a baby is okay. Also, if continuing a pregnancy will jeopardize the mother’s survival, then she has every right to her life. Also, it could be the fetus itself will develop into a baby who will be severely ill and in pain in life. To me it would be more compassionate to terminate the pregnancy than it would be to bring a child into the world who could very well suffer before he or she passed away so young anyway.

No one takes this subject lightly; at least I hope they don’t. That being said, I don’t support late-term abortions.

The problem is, those on the right don't want to pay for birth control, sex or pregnancy prevention education, prenatal and post natal care, afterschool day care or maternity leave. Love the fetus, hate the child.

The woman has a right to choose to not get pregnant. A child has a right to be born. If human life is sacred then abortions take away life that is sacred. If humans are not sacred then anything goes.

I see abortion as a option. Not a good one but a needed one for an imperfect world. First of all since I am not a woman I feel some limitation on my position. I think for practical reasons very late term abortions save in the case of a threat to the mothers life should be illegal. Besides that I think there should be ZERO religious influence or conditions for a woman to have access to an abortion. I find it insane that so many religious people and groups who oppose abortion rights also oppose the very things that reduce the need for and/or incidents of abortion. Namely access to free birth control, comprehensive sex education at an early age and teaching boys to respect woman and woman to respect themselves. I think planned parenthood should be a permanent part of American health care.

Quarm Level 6 Oct 18, 2018

A detail: Very late abortion is always performed to save the woman; those who think it is done because the woman doesn't want the child are A) ignorant people and B) those with an agenda.

What do you think of this article. [theatlantic.com] I think its brilliant and hope they continue to be available to American woman.

Women have been finding ways to abort for an eternity, ever since anyone knew they could do so. Particularly young, poor women. Even if it meant potentially killing or maiming themselves. Poisons, eating various types of animal feces, deadly herbs, throwing themselves from heights and letting people beat them.

Sadly, some people would prefer or say they deserve to go to these lengths. I hope they never have daughters in that situation.

Wouldn't do it myself, regardless of the situation, even though I don't really care if I ever have kids of my own. Still not my place to judge someone's sitiation. Would rather women have safe options. We have plenty of humans, let's take care of the ones already here first.

i don't know anyone who is in favor of abortion. abortion is sad. however, i, like many folks, am in favor of a woman's choice what to do with her own body. a first-trimester fetus is a clump of cells with nonfunctioning nerve endings. it's a potential baby. it's not a baby. it's literally a parasite. that's what it is physically. emotionally, it could be a baby. if you want a baby and you're pregnant, it's a baby, and you don't have to say "potential" because that's understood; you're already imagining it as your baby, picking out the daycare, thinking about which college, imagining your grandchildren. there's nothing wrong with that, but that doesn't make a similar fetus a baby for someone who does NOT want to be pregnant. technically, it IS a parasite, and a woman should have a right to protect herself from a parasite and maintain control over her own body. you can talk about planning, poverty, sin if that's your concern, the rest of the woman's life, the odds of death in childbirth (yes, it still happens!) and whether or not to buy stock in coat hangers, but what it boils down to is a woman's right to control her own body. religionists who oppose choice (they say they oppose abortion) call it murder (a legal term, not applicable to abortion since abortion is legal), talk about killing babies (a fetus is not a baby, i repeat) and drag all kinds of other issues in, but religious considerations applied to the irreligious amount to bashing down the wall between church and state. not all are sincere, either; what's with requiring doctors to lie to patients? but even the most sincerely concerned religionist has no right to tell another human being what to do with her body. that religionist may refrain from having an abortion; that is her right. she may not control another person's body.

g

I think it is horrible and it is murderous. It should be avoided at all costs. In the 21st century, it should be a rare occurrence since birth control is generally effective if done properly.

I also think it needs to be legal. Sometimes, it could be an issue of two people dying, someone having a child against their will, or someone ruining their life. Just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean I can choose for everyone what to do. This is especially true since I'm a man and this issue would mean me controlling someone's body against their will.

I've always found this argument impossible. There are so many things that can usually be done before you get to that point that the procedure should be rare. Surgery should be a last resort in any situation if a non-invasive method could be used earlier on.

That's almost exactly pretty much my position. Personally, I am against it. I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with someone who would abort our child.

But I also feel that it should absolutely and without reservations be legal, because I have NO RIGHT to hold anyone else to my personal feelings.

It’s a Discussion between a woman and her doctor and the decision is hers. It is outrageous that there are laws about a woman’s body. We are fully capable to make decisions about our bodies. I am not an advocate for abortion, instead I am an advocate for birth control. However, abortion should be a woman’s right to choose.

Mandatory.

I built an addition on a house owned by a woman who took emergency children in Miami. She was expanding to keep 12 little kids whose parents were abusive, or in jail, or in one case, whose single mom died with no known relatives. The girl's aunt, who was contacted to take her, abandoned her at the Broward Mall. There was a boy whose momma's boyfriend burned him with cigarettes, which wasn't caught till he finished with the areas that clothing hid. These little people arrived in the middle of the night, or broad daylight, variously abused, neglected, and exhibited levels of trauma that I cannot imagine. I saw the effects of irresponsible, unwanted, or just ill-equipped parenthood. If I had been on the fence before, that experience made it obvious to me that society owes itself to be more serious as to who has the right to have a child.

The problem is that many of these abusive parents don't believe in aborting....they feel it's murder.

Needs to be available but is a lousy form of birth control.

Dorijo Level 2 July 16, 2018

Whoever use / thinks of abortion as birth control is an idiot. Abortion is the last option when all the other ways fai;ed. No, adoption is not an option.

OK...not your fault but that's a TERRIBLE cliche! NOBODY uses abortion as ''birth control." Unless you want to stretch the implication (it DOES, after all, control an unwanted birth)...abortion is a more serious act... the termination of an unwanted pregnancy.

My position is that I don't have a vagina and therefore am not particularly qualified to have a position to begin with.

Abortions will happen. If a government takes away access, the poor will resort to spurious folk 'remedies' or sketchy black market operations and the rich will simply find an international doctor somewhere it's legal. The way it was before Roe vs. Wade. This cultural nonsense in America where the religious assume absolute knowledge about embryonic/fetal sentience, insist upon inclusion of the soul (which science has never verified or confirmed) as a scientifically valid factor, and the priority of 'state of life' above 'quality of life' in service to the Grand Design of some unsubstantiated absentee landlord, whose last representative was 2000 years ago and politically assassinated, and whose last correspondence was a disjointed series of self-aggrandizing narratives told so many times no one even remembers the original words, is farcical and absurd.

If you had told me when I was a kid in the 1990s that legalized abortions and social programs prioritizing responsible sexual practices and reproductive health would be in danger...I would only have believed the second half. Abstinence only sex ed and just overhearing old men talk about women showed me that sexually responsible social programs will be in danger every day for years to come, but I honestly believed that we had at least finally closed the official book on whether at least some types of abortion should be legal and that providing legal access to them was the more responsible choice than leaving hundreds of thousands of women to situations where they're dying or severely ill from unsanitary procedures in non-sterile environments and then going to jail.

I guess I overestimated the humanity of the ruling class.

I also want to add: the idea that children are our future/legacy is, in my mind, one of the primary rhetorical crutches used by men who seek to control women's reproductive rights.

Children are therefore a social/community resource (read: property) and since 'men run society' they have the right to dictate the means of production and distribution of that resource.

They don't want you having abortions, but that didn't stop them trying to chemically sterilize women of color on basis on race.

This all sounds more and more like a build up to a Lebesborn program...

@geist171 And what you say also happened in Puerto Rico...where many women were sterilized...this is known as "La operación".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.