Agnostic.com

179 4

WHAT'S YOUR POSITION ON ABORTION ?

Yes...No? Do you base your position on religion or science? Does the woman have the right to chose?

DUCHESSA 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

179 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's not my decision to make but it is a viable human life thats destroyed . " One more kid that will never go to school ,
l never get to fall in love , never get to be cool " Neil Young

And I will add : the "abortion is a last resort" people have me a bit confused. Once a woman is pregnant and decides she no longer wants to be pregnant, what is the first choice, if abortion is the final choice???

If she wants no to be pregnant there is only one choice: Abortion.

Some stupid people say "Give the baby for adoption." They don't realize the woman doesn't want to carry the belly....they think what the woman doesn't want is to rise the kid.

@DUCHESSA I think that’s exactly what it is.

@FreethoughtKaty I didn't want the belly....and much less rising the brat.

OHHHH...the pro-life people will tell you ''there's always adoption." Of course, adoption rates are abysmal but....

OHHHH...the pro-life people will tell you ''there's always adoption." Of course, adoption rates are abysmal but....

My decision is based on a scientific understanding of the matter, and yes it is a woman's choice to make her own reproductive choices. With that said, my personal view on that may be different, but still doesn't matter as the right to a safe abortion is legal under the law. I recently did a few posts on the topic of cpc's and how they deceive women for anyone who is interested. Having knowledge is half of the battle.

I remember being a young kid and asking my cousin what is an abortion. I remember her response about the fetus, that the doctor chops it up and vacuums it out. It seemed violent and scary to me. I believed in souls and we talked about what would happen to the baby's soul. She didn't know and I said maybe the soul of the baby goes into another person. When Dennis Miller asked the head of Planned Parenthood if she thought abortion was gross, I sort of appreciated him asking that question. There is something that is disturbing about it to me.

I think about coat hangers, illegal abortions that have taken many young women's lives and fertility. I also think about the shaming of teenage mothers and the lack of financial assistance for people to raise their children. I have always thought it was strange that the pro-life stance tends to be among the same group that is for cutting food stamps and assistance to the poor.

I have never become pregnant as the result of a rape. I have never been pregnant being used as a device in war. I have never been pregnant when I didn't want to be pregnant. I do not feel able to judge these people. I knew a woman who had a severely disabled child that was only capable of grunting to communicate and would require full nursing care for the rest of his life. She told me that she would have had an abortion if she could have gone back. She felt worn down and worried about what will happen to him when she is gone. I hope that she has found respite. Meyes Briggs may be right about me, I/ENFP...I favor discussion over banging a gavel.

One of the questions I have had is about fetal pain. I think that idea does make a difference to a lot of people. According to this article, the fetus is awake at 30 weeks. This makes abortion at that stage seem really creepy to me. [livescience.com]

When I was pregnant with my twins, I had a young baby, I was a CNA, and my then husband was still in school. I went to work and said I was worried about money and didn't know what to do. I had a lot of people rushing to my aid to tell me about abortion services. Some did not seem super supportive when I said I wasn't interested in having an abortion. I was told I would have a hard life. I have never regretted my children. They light my life.

Personally, I believe that life begins at conception. As soon as that happens, the cells of what starts out of two cells rapidly grows and changes into a zygote, and then into an embryo which has a heartbeat by week 6 of the First trimester. It is not as if two people have sexual intercourse, conception occurs, and then when some sort of baby fairy waves its magic wand, sprinkles fairy dust on the mother, and it is decided that the pregnancy is convenient for the potential parents, that the embryo and then the fetus that has been growing in the mother's uterus the entire time, gets the distinction of being alive. That line of thinking is a huge logical and scientific disconnect. Moreover, when a woman has a miscarriage, they don't say she lost her inanimate ball of tissue, they say she lost the BABY. All too often, the argument about the viability of a fetus and the "right" to abort it has nothing to do with science, or even religion, and everything to do with whether the pregnancy will cramp the style of the people who are responsible for bringing into existence, and they want a simple way to abdicate their responsibility for the creation of that life that they have irrefutably created.

I guess from the moment of conception a life is created. This is a very touchy subject.
What I believe is pertinent to myself only. IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS what other people wish to do.
Abortion should be legal and easily obtained. Much more intelligent than the back street abortionist.
[ my wife was employed by a man who spent many years in jail for shooting dead an amatuer abortionist who brought about the death his pregnant girlfriend, a terrible consequence of the laws of the day. ] QUESTION, is human life that precious ? [ the Spanish inquisition would suggest otherwise.]..

I think it's fine during the first 2 trimesters. After that there should be a special reason for the abortion (rape, birth defect, danger to mother, etc.)

I believe it is at times the less crappy answer to a question where there are no good answers. I don't like it because it is a loss of life but I see where it is a necessary thing at times.

Well, I'm a guy, therefore take what I say with a large handful of salt. Also know that I have a thing for arguing both sides, because I see great points to both of them. Finding a satisfying answer for you is a hard as it is to find one for myself. To keep form making large paragraphs, I'm just gonna list the things that I believe to be true regarding the subject. Here goes:

-Like it or not, you ARE killing a baby if you have an abortion.
-That being said, I don't think every child should be born into this world that is over-full to begin with.
-This world sucks, it's a fact.
-But a child COULD make it better in the future.
-But at the same time, they really DON'T deserve to have to be born here.
-It IS a woman's right to have an Abortion or not.
-There are many circumstances in which it is the ONLY viable answer.
-but, there are many circumstances where it isn't.
-Just because the baby is born of Rape or just plain irresponsibility does not mean the baby deserves to die.
-You can always give up your unwanted child for adoption (right?).
-Do Abortions hurt? I've heard they hurt pretty bad. If that's the case, you're not saving yourself any pain by having one. If that's why you want one, you may as well have the dang kid, and then give it up for adoption.

The line quoted below tells me everything; I don't see a point in discussing this subject with you any longer:
""Like it or not, you ARE killing a baby if you have an abortion..."

It's weird that there is a site where people can debate this issue without attacking each other.

Don't you think it has to do with no believing in "A child is a God's gift"?

@DUCHESSA That, or the fact that we all agree??

Maturity finally has arrived. 🙂

I was forced to have a sterilisation in 1972 when I wanted an abortion, I had two children and was using birth control a coil - I was treated like muck by all the staff at the hospital so I am up for a womans' right to choose!

You were part of what many years before, in Puerto Rico, was known as "La operación" (the surgery)

Undesirable if possible but in a lot of cases the mother would be more damaged having a child than not. Also in the case of rape many women would rather not bear a child to the aggressor.
If there is no legal abortion then there will be illegal abortion killing and disabling women all over the country.

I base my position on what is best for the mother. The woman has the right to choose, I am pro-choice.

It's the law of the land; and rightfully so. It IS up to the individual to decide what to do w/ their own life.

If only that were true. There are TONS of restrictions, and in some parts of the country for certain individuals a complete ban on abortion.

@JeffMurray ?! Yikes; really Jeff? A complete ban? For whom?

@BobFenner In 26 states there are laws that require that permission be granted by one or both parents or some other authority figure for any woman that's not of a certain age. If any of these young ladies happen to be in a family that doesn't believe in abortion, they are essentially banned from having one. There are 5 states that have only one abortion clinic in the entire state, and 24 states have less than 5 in the entire state. For the young and/or financially disadvantaged this is essentially also a ban, especially when you couple it with time restrictions and "fake" clinics that are set up by pro-life groups with the sole purpose of prolonging the time before a woman gets her appointment to make it extend past legal constraints. Seriously look up TRAP laws. This is a seriously fucked up country in this regard for how first-world and progressive we claim to be.

@JeffMurray Ah yes; the under-aged. Chronologically but not physiologically, behaviorally...

@BobFenner Not all of them are under age. I mentioned how many types of women can be robbed of their autonomy. Regardless, how does it possibly matter what avenue someone uses to take away a woman's access to abortion?

@JeffMurray Ugh... "If you would be free, help others be free"... Oh yes, including the half of the population that are female.

@BobFenner I don't understand your point...

@JeffMurray The finer at times balance... paradox of individual freedom and the desires of society. This line/balance is in need of periodic review; with women of "age" being shortchanged currently. I would have all be freer.

@BobFenner Okay, I'm not understanding you. It's reading like an ancient proverb or something. You seemed to take issue with me claiming some women have had their autonomy taken away because of the way it was taken away. I asked why that mattered, and I haven't been able to glean a response out of anything you've said since.

@JeffMurray I don't dispute your claim; the fact of lost autonomy. "It"matters as all deserve self determination.

Pro-choice.

It should be available to those who want/need one.

If the mother wants to end the pregnancy, that is her decision alone. I do not think ill of it because the entity that is reincarnating will just move on to another baby. The body is not so important, it is the entity reincarnating that is important. The body is like a vehicle and when it cannot be fixed, the entity driving that vehicle moves on to another brand new one.

whatever.

I'm coming back as a ham on rye; hold the mayo.

Ooooh! CAPS LOCK! Of course on demand. No woman takes this decision lightly, but she makes it on her own. Her body, her decision.

I will never understand a person saying "To abort is a difficult decision for a woman." Is not.

@DUCHESSA - it is a difficult decision, if only from a medical perspective - no one wants to undergo surgery.

@Agnostic1 Medical is just about the only reason....and compared with pregnancy / delivery said surgery is nothing.

On my back?

???????????????????

"WHAT'S YOUR POSITION ON ABORTION ?" on my back - it's hard to do an abortion face down, I would think.

@AtheistInNC - not funny, as anyone who has had an abortion can tell you.

I'm sorry - I didn't think about that before I replied. My apologies.

I have no problem with it as long as it's done early.. If you wait until the third tri... then you should have the child, and by that point,,, it is a child, not just a fetus.

Legally is a fetus until the birth.
BYW, to wait until the 3rd., trimester is stu...d and a risk for the woman.

I'm not concerned with if the courts say it's a fetus or not, and it may be a risk to have a late term abortion, but it happens enough to be an issue.. Just for the record, if the doctor shows it to be a risk to the woman to have the child at any point, then I'm fine with the procedure.

You do realize that's one of the avenues people use to prevent abortions, yes? In areas of the country where they have legislated away most places one could get an abortion, pro-life organizations set up "abortion clinics". They tell the woman that she is unable to have the procedure for various reasons (like she currently has a fever and it would be unsafe to perform) and string her along until she reaches a gestation point after which an abortion is no longer legal. Basically, if you believe in any restrictions, you DO NOT believe in a woman's right to choose.

I am a male so I am not allowed to have one haha.

Actually the technology for males to have babies is already well established. Just attach the foetal sac to the intestine to get nourishment. Just not many takers.

Pro choice.

Absolutely no position on this.

Everyone should choose for themself. (As long as it doesn't affect me.)

That means "AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT THE FATHER"?

@DUCHESSA If I were the father then it would affect me.

I would not walk away.

@El-loco Here we are not talking about "WALKING AWAY" BUT ABOUT THE WOMAN decision TO ABORT...even if the father doesn't walk away.

@DUCHESSA I am too drunk to use logic. If you were carrying my child I would not ask you to abort. I would ask you to accept my help and respect for what would not be a pleasant process. I would only ASK you not to abort.

@El-loco The fact is you wouldn't even have the right to ask...anything. Trust me,, the abortion process -as unpleasant / dangerous as it is- never is as UNPLEASANT / DANGEROUS as nine months of changes and risks are.

@DUCHESSA I do not claim the right to ask anything. I only tell you what I would do. The choice would be yours. I accept that the father has no right over the existence of his offspring even if he is prepared to do right by them. I accept it, but I don't have to like it.

@El-loco What you would do is irrelevant....and whether you like or not her decision is also irrelevant.

@DUCHESSA I find it confusing to have a fight with someone I never met and will never meet.OK, I get it, I'm irrelevant.

@El-loco A fight? I believe you are really confused. I only stated that you -or any other man- lccks the right to opine / say anything on abortion....even if the man is the "FATHER".

@DUCHESSA I agree with a lot of what you say, but this line in the sand is confusing to me. Men have no right to opine on the subject, what, because they don't have the ability to get pregnant? Does that mean barren women, old women, and women born without a uterus/have had a hysterectomy also have no right to opine?

Easy.. its up to the persons them self's to decide.... We are all ready with to many humans on this planet. Above that it's better to have a planned and wanted child to give all your love to...

So if the human population on Earth was rapidly dwindling, would that change your stance? If not, why is population part of your reasoning?

The choice is entirely up to the woman, with some consultation from her doctor. Nobody else has any say.

I guess the "some consulting with the doctor" goes only as far as health risks for the woman.

Correct

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.