Agnostic.com

179 4

WHAT'S YOUR POSITION ON ABORTION ?

Yes...No? Do you base your position on religion or science? Does the woman have the right to chose?

DUCHESSA 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

179 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you own nothing else in this world, you own your own body.

And to own something means you can do what you want with it, unless the government comes up with a damn good reason why you shouldn't be able to.

I haven't heard the damn good reason why you shouldn't be able to control whether or not your uterus is used to carry a pregnancy to term yet. And at this point, I don't think I ever will.

Out of curiosity, do you think people should be allowed to sell parts of their body? (i.e. Is their reason damn good?)

There may be a damn good reason to not allow this -- it'll lead to poor people selling their organs, sometimes even fatally, for the benefit of the wealthy. I'm not clear on how much or how far this would be useful to the wealthy recipient, and therefore on how widespread this practice would be, so I'm "undecided" on that point for now.

Cannibalism of body parts is now know and hard to get people to stop begging for them. And if one does do it, it should be consensual. Disgustingly, it has led to poor people selling organs for money. And how often do they get what was promised?

Pro choice. Should be the woman's decision.

I have never neededyo terminate a pregnancy. My body chose to do it three times. That is an abortion. A medical termination would involve a deliberate personal choice. There lies the issue it is a personal decision and in the same way as my miscarriages, no one else's business.

As a man, I feel have limited voting rights here. My 2 cents worth.

1. Abortion isn't the problem
  2. No one likes abortion

Address the problem:

1. Acceptance - we are hardwired to reproduce
  2. Education - Ensure knowledge of the all the consequences of #1
  3. Access to all necessary services

Though how to get that through the Pro-Birth lobby is a whole 'nuther question.

You will be surprised to find out how many men and women ARE NOT wired to reproduce. You will be, also, surprised to find out how many men and women had kids to please their own parents and / or to satisfy the norms of a society that cruelly judges those who don't want to become parents...specially how said society vilifies the women.

Somewhat in agreement with the rest of your post.

Abortion is a human right.

Two question. Three Answers. (Yes and no are not correct rubrics)
#1 Science.
#2 Does the woman - - depends on where she is in the world and her current condition
If you intended to ask "Should the woman have the right to chose?" Absolutely.

I find it difficult to believe religious conservatives or evangelicals have the right to tell a woman what she can do or not do regarding a highly personal decision about the termination of a pregnancy. Further, I have not seen this objection in any biblical text.

Speaking as a man, the choice must rest with the woman, no matter how uncomfortable this may be. This is based purely on the grounds of common sense. Coercion should never be an issue. Regrettably I suspect most abortions take place due to financial considerations. If money were not so much of a problem, I suspect there would but significantly fewer terminations.

I look around everyday and realize there have not been enough abortions. I am sure there are people who look at me and think the same thing. I don't believe men should have anything to say about. A woman should be in charge of decisions concerning her body, her health just like men are. Women do all the heavy lifting in these matters, it should be their decision.

I'm tired of this question. If you don't want one, don't have one. Enough said.

It is the woman's body. And she should decide what to do with it as she wishes, with the advice of the father. I said advice, not control. Also if a medical professional sees that there is a problem with the fetus, they should advise the woman. No man should make a woman have a baby if she doesn't want it. Nor should he insist to have it aborted. Science does take precedence over religion, aka fairy tales.

I believe every individual woman should be able to choose what’s right for herself. No one else, especially a man, should decide what an individual (female) should do with regards to their own body.

It is my body! Don't try to shove your bible up my ass or ....

zesty Level 7 Mar 1, 2019

Basically, my position is that I believe that women should have the right to make that choice and pretty much have since Roe. That doesn't mean I'm Pro-Abortion. Just means, it is none of my freaking business. And especially not the governments!

I always hated getting stuck with the “Pro-Abortion” tag. Abortion is a horrible thing for a women to face.

@Loridae Yes...is a horrible thing to face IF / ONLY you are talking about the post surgery discomfort.

I believe firmly in a woman's right to make her own decision about abortion, AND it's none of the government's or anyone else's business.

No one should have the right to decide about as the person itself. Her body, her life, her decision. If someone has the the right to say no, others should have the right to say yes.

If we would say no to abortion because of killing a life, then we also need to say no to condoms, pills and sex for pleasure.

Yucel Level 3 Dec 15, 2018

It’s a Discussion between a woman and her doctor and the decision is hers. It is outrageous that there are laws about a woman’s body. We are fully capable to make decisions about our bodies. I am not an advocate for abortion, instead I am an advocate for birth control. However, abortion should be a woman’s right to choose.

"...between a woman and her doctor"? The doctor has no say in her decision besides advising her on the possible impact on her health.

If birth control was easier to get( and cheaper) abortion wouldn't be necessary.

Yes and ....since there are cdertain medical conditions that surface late in the pregnancy.

Not necessarily ... contraception is hardly ever 100% guaranteed.

@PontifexMarximus The modern pill is about 98% effective.

You're talking to someone who works at Planned Parenthood. I sit /hold hands/help calm breathing/etc, with patients as they're having the procedure. How do YOU think I feel about reproductive choice? 🙂

What you are helping to calm down is the fear a person experiences when undergoing surgery...nothing to do with guilt. Please.

@DUCHESSA Duchessa....I'm as pro-choice (obviously) as you seem to be. I'm also PRO-WOMAN! I've seen hundreds of women going through the procedure and know perhaps a tad more than you do about their feelings. First...they're full of pregnancy-related hormones, which can affect emotions much more often than you'd think. Secondly...we may have unresolved issues which cause distress. I remember a woman who wept bitterly.....she's Catholic and fully expected she'd go to hell. You seem very vehement about what women are feeling before/during/after abortions. I'd suggest a little less "I know more than anyone" about what's possibly going on. Some women have a very difficult time, while others do not. It's an individual thing.

@LucyLoohoo Indeed is an individual thing.......but after 26+ years educating teenagers and being informed about many pregnancies before the girls told their parents counts for something about what they feel. I, also, have knowledge of the impact the hormones have on a pregnant woman, I have seen one or two fetuses (in a jar, of course) and studied Anatomy, Histology, Embryology while wanting to become a dentist (Yes, in Argentina a dentist wanna be studies those subjects too). IAW, I am not as ""out of the road" as you may think. Yes, some feel guilty but not for the idea of aborting but about the fact they had sex before marriage....and I am just to hear one of them to say he wasn't happy after aborting. I guess it has a lot to do with how the info. is presented to them. Sure, you see a lot more pregnant women than I will ever do but I can assure you relief is the first emotion they state.

I had an abortion after having two children and with a mental unwellness decided i wasnt capable of looking after another at that time with children of 3 and 4 yrs old already. I was strongarmed into having a sterilisation at the same time and I will never forget and never forgive -Later I was a counsellor at the health centre that had my records and so I oppportunistically photocopied my own - It was a one liner. No explanation at all

jacpod Level 8 July 16, 2018

EEkkk!

The fetus is not a baby so my position is that it's ok to have an abortion.

I'm for it.

I can think of several people whose parents should have opted for it.

i believe a woman must make that choice. she is the manager of her body. she needs to have as much information as possible and then make her decision. i don’t believe anyone else should be involved.

What other info. than "she wants to abort" does she need?

@DUCHESSA how much of a toll the abortion could take on her mentally and physically. It should not be a quick decision. Was she raped? Was she the victim of incest? One in three women will be molested during her lifetime. There is a great deal she should know before making such an earth shattering decision.

@IAmLove Victim od rape, incest,...or simply she doesn't want to have a kid....Make no difference, the only thing that counts us she wants to abort and the physical risks.
Trust me, the "emotional aspect" is so overrated that is laughable.

@DUCHESSA No, it isn’t

@IAmLove When a woman decides to abort....the emotional side is not what she thinks about. Trust me, I have spoken to many and the only thing they said was "What a relief!!

@kozmic Thank you por proving my point. Eventually, we will become a society that minds its own business.

@kozmic what a horrible experience. This is what religion does. There is no reason you should have been shamed. What about the child’s father. No doubt he was patted on the back. Hope you are ok now.

@IAmLove It's only a very few patients who regard the choice as "earth shattering." Trust me on this one...I see it every week.

Women should have the right to choose. Yet...I work with women and observe the harm abortion does to women both physically and emotionally. Very often a subsequent birth is more difficult because the trauma is stored in both mind and body.. Not to mention the sexual abuse. It is ethically a very tricky issue and I do not have the answers and would prefer the laws to be as liberso as possible to support women's freedom of choice. At the same time, homes for pregnant women and the opportunity for the babies to be adopted is also an option but such services are in short supply.

I had a baby after an abortion and had no issues. It has no ill affect on me. I know it can happen, but I did read a few years ago that negative feelings after an abortion are quite rare, and most common among religious women or women who felt pressured to have an abortion.

I personally think there needs to be more education and prevention. Also to all these pro life conservatives they can have several seats because how the hell can the be against abortion but pro war and pro police brutally?

I agree with you and have also often wondered how so many Christians I know could be both anti-abortion (or pro-life as they call it) and yet promote the death penalty? It seems they call it murder for a fetus to be surgically aborted, but it isn't murder to kill an adult human being? I will never understand this, especially with the common belief of vengence being their God's place to take, since the whole eye-for-an-eye thing was from the old testament.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.