Agnostic.com

179 4

WHAT'S YOUR POSITION ON ABORTION ?

Yes...No? Do you base your position on religion or science? Does the woman have the right to chose?

DUCHESSA 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

179 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Its always the right of the woman to choose, and I base my decision and all my decisons on science not that rag they call the unholy bibile.

Abortion is a piss poor form of birth control. I think it is only GOP men that think it is used this way. Other forms of birth control seem so much cheaper. Jesus said nothing about the issue at all. Yes, it is in the bible. Men need to learn that they have no control over a woman's body. I know. They ask in their brain where they would be if mommy did this. I understand, but you do not have control over a woman's body. Sorry. Abortion is a last resort.

And THERE is a huge part of the argument against abortion. It's made by people who say "Where would I be if my mother had chosen abortion?" Well. Guess what? THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU! It's about HER!

I believe in choice but it pisses me off when abortion is used instead of birth control . My niece has had 3 abortions befor her 20th birthday .

Only an ignorant uses abortion as birth control. Sexual education is in order

I have no issue with that. A woman who has had many abortions is probably better off not bringing any more kids into the world.

@FreethoughtKaty IUD

I’m a conservative atheist and I fully support a woman’s right to an abortion but I think for the sake of human decency abortions should be banned after the first 20 weeks unless there’s something wrong with the baby like Down syndrome. I think it’s insane to try to force a woman to have a baby she doesn’t want as overpopulation is the worlds number one problem. I have a devoutly religious business associate who is so extreme he believes a woman should be forced to have the child of a rapist and that view disturbs me greatly.

Bodily autonomy is a personal right that should not be infringed upon. I am not a woman, nor am I an individual who will ever have to bear the burden of child rearing. It is not in my right nor the governments to force a woman to carry an unwanted child to term for any reason. The decision starts and stops at the mother.

I find it especially deplorable when "pro-life" people are garbage hypocrites that care nothing for the child's well being after it is born. They do nothing to help the crumbling social support structures meant to help parents and children live healthy and stable lives. No they just condemn them to their fate and label them as parasites without realizing how their stance contributes to the problem.

Someone somewhere said this: " Better to be born than to be never born at all". Did they take survey of all people ever born? Some people have had a terrible life and suffer in ways many of us can't even imagine. I dare say they would not agree with a stupid statement like this!

Not being born at all sounds way easier than all this.

such discussions should be between a patient and their healthcare provide. not a debate by old men.

johns Level 4 Dec 25, 2017

Personally I don't believe that I nor anyone else, including the government or religion, has any say in the medical decisions of another person. The decision to have an abortion should be between a woman and her doctor. There should not be any waiting period unless the doctor believes that having an abortion could be life threatening to the woman. I do think that abortions should only take place before a point in which the fetus could potentially survive outside the womb which is around 21 weeks or so. Some cut-off point should be established.

You realize that the beginning of your comment and the end appear to have been written by two different people? You completely contradicted yourself...

Fair enough JeffMurray though I don't believe I contradict myself. There are limitations on all freedoms that we have.

But, I failed to properly explain my point of view. At 21 weeks, I don't see it as an abortion. It would be a birth if the fetus could survive outside the womb. At that point we're no longer talking about a cluster of cells or a zygote the size of an acorn but rather an organism that could potentially live on its own.

There HAS to be some cut-off point or am I wrong? Should an abortion be allowed at 9 months while the mother is going into labor? What about once the baby is outside the mother but still connected by the umbilical cord? Logically, there must be a point that we can agree it would be wrong to terminate the pregnancy. I chose 21 weeks based on current medical advances that give a fetus born at that point a reasonable likelihood of survival.

@Charles1971 "I don't believe that I nor anyone else, including the government or religion, has any say in the medical decisions of another person."
"I do think that abortions should only take place before a point in which the fetus could potentially survive outside the womb"

Those two statements are contradictory. Either no one should have a say in another person's medical decisions, or there is a time when one can be told they can't make the medical decision they wish. They cannot coexist. So when you say there are limitations on freedoms (like how you can't scream fire in a crowded building) because your freedom will infringe on the freedoms of others, you are essentially saying that taking away the freedom for a woman to abort after 21 weeks is to protect the freedom of the person inside her? I believe the legal cutoff is when the offspring takes a breath. The laws may be location dependant, I'm not sure. But once there is no more additional risk to the mother to carry than to abort, like if the baby is already out of her just connected by the cord, and the cord has to be cut either way, killing the baby on the table would be an obvious over-stepping of the argument for a woman's right to choose.

But let's use your 21 week rule for argument's sake. What steps as a society are we willing to take to protect a fetus a woman wants to abort that we won't let her because it's after the cut off? Can we stop her from riding rollercoasters? How about smoking, drinking, or taking fetotoxic (legal) drugs? Can we lock her in a padded room? Force her to get, or stop her from getting a c-section whenever she wants? (I mean, if she's told she can't have an abortion because the fetus could survive on its own, can she just say, "Well, then, cut it out of me." ) If she goes on a hunger strike, can we tie her down and feed her through a tube?

@JeffMurray... I answered your question. I didn't come here to argue abortion. I've done this before and it's an exhausting and fruitless debate. I told you my view. You don't have to like it.

@Charles1971 Is not that I don't like your view it's that you are not supporting it. If you want to have opinions that are contradictory and ill supported, that's fine. Lots of people do. But if you wish to actually examine your beliefs the way you probably did regarding religion, I'd be more than happy to bounce ideas back and forth and challenge you on some things. Good luck either way.

@JeffMurray My point is that although I support the freedom of choice, as with all freedoms, there are limitations. I strongly support 1st Amendment rights, but freedom of speech and expression have limitations. And yes, if those limitations are violated then it will be the government and the law that will be the authority that will step in put a halt to such violations.

And thus, even with the freedom of choice over abortion, there should be limitations. You stated "I believe the legal cutoff is when the offspring takes a breath." My view is that the cutoff is when the offspring CAN take a breath (even with assistance) and live.

@Charles1971 That's fine that that's your position, but you should definitely not describe yourself pro-choice, as you are actively advocating a partial ban on abortion.

@Charles1971 Also, it's disingenuous to try to compare my definition of when the baby takes a breath with yours as if they're just different points on the same scale, they are not. To claim that they are is like saying you can abort an air strike after you've already dropped the bombs.

@JeffMurray... Then I suppose I don't believe in free speech since I think there should be limitations on what is allowed. I do not think that I should be legally allowed to put up a billboard near your house that says "Jeff Murray is a rapist and a child molester."

Personally, it just seems like you are trying to be argumentative. And your air strike/bomb analogy is silly and makes no sense. And I think breathing is actually important. It tends to be one of the hallmarks that distinguishes the living from the dead.

@Charles1971 Correct, you don't believe in free speech. Neither do I. And if you want to not believe in a woman's freedom to choose as well, that's up to you. And you can call it argumentative, but I have a problem seeing someone label himself as one thing when he's clearly not. Furthermore, because there are other people and factors in the 'obtaining an abortion' freedom, it is not on the same footing as the freedom of speech. By putting the 21-week restriction on it, you necessarily also put other restrictions in place as well. If you don't know what TRAP laws are, I beg you to go read about them. Seriously, if you read about them and don't agree that if legislators were doing shit like that to subvert your rights you'd be outraged, I will shut the fuck up after this post. They use what rational people like you feel are fair, common-sense restrictions to completely deny a woman her rights. One example is when pro-life organizations set up "abortion clinics" in areas that have 21-week laws on the books, only to lure women in and lie to them about the reason they need to postpone their procedure (most often they "have a fever" ). They string them along until their 21-week mark and then the woman is no longer legally allowed to get an abortion. So no, restrictions on free speech are not the same as restrictions on abortion. Not allowing you to scream "fire" in a crowded building doesn't get parlayed into you not being allowed to scream "fire" while playing Call of Duty.

And yes, my analogy was correlative. You comparing 'baby took a breath' with 'fetus could potentially breathe and live outside of the womb' as points on a 'when you can abort scale' is analogous to comparing 'bombs could drop' and 'bombs already dropped' as both being on a 'when you can abort scale'.

I'm a blood donor, on the organ donor list, various different bone marrow registers etc. My belief is, if you're going to have a healthy, happy child, what right do you have to get rid of it? BUT. In cases of Rape, predicted illness (Spina bifida,Downs syndrome etc.) Is it more or less cruel to let that baby be born. In the case of rape, that woman didn't chose to be violated. If a child is going to be in constant pain and sufferring and you know you could stop it, isn't that the right thing to do?

So you do not believe in a woman's right to choose?

@JeffMurray Sorry, I wasn't clear. Yes she does have the choice. Maybe she's want to keep it, maybe she wouldn't want to, could be a permanent reminder of the ordeal she's been through. Totally her decision.

ON demand. I am adopted and the little sweet stories about the babies and the daddys and mommies out there is total bullshit. Abortion, yes. They want to punish the women.

While I do not have a say in whether a female chooses or chooses not to have an abortion. I totally support their right to have a choice.

Contraceptives and the day after pill should be inexpensive and freely available. During the first trimester, on demand. After that for a good reason particularly late term although that is easier said than determined. Husbands or boyfriends should not be part of the equation.

The morning after pill doesn't work in the second and third trimester. 😛 So, who determines if the woman's reason is a good reason? You're basically saying you do not believe in a woman's right to choose.

I think we need to do whatever possible to take the focus off abortion and place it on prevention. Free birth control anywhere assessable. I believe in a woman's right over her body wholeheartedly, but we must offer solutions being that women are not being offered autonomy by portions of our society who makes sure this is a 'one issue voting stance.'

Of course prevention is the way....but if we "select" no to educate the people we will never see the end of this problem.

A fetus gets equal rights, not special rights. If a 2 year old needs a kidney to live it doesn't have the right to have the mothers kidney without consent. If the fetus requires the mothers body in order to live the mother must consent. The woman has choice. Pro choice.

Dear, a fetus has no the rights of a person. Period.

You don't understand the argument. I'm pro choice. Calm down now.

No man has earned the right to an opinion on this subject ,due to not possessing the emotional or physical attributes of a female .Case closed.

Should be legal on demand and paid for with tax funds for women who are unable to pay. Period.

Abortion should be covered by the insurance. Now, those who say "" Why should my taxes be used to solve the problem.when the woman can't pay for the surgery."....Well, if you know how much it costs to support a child (welfare) during 18 years...you will want your taxes to pay for the abortion.

@DUCHESSA Furthermore, if the woman doesn't have insurance, it should be covered by the state.

An absolute right. Remember in ancient times infanticide was not uncommon and personhood was not assumed until a child had been alive for some time.

I don't think we should really be supporting our arguments with phrases that start with, "In ancient times".

Those who rant for "the rights of the child" should understand that an unwanted kid becomes a neglected one.

The bottom line is pro-choice. I would hope to prevent most abortions through affordable, accessible birth control. But $h!t happens and no woman should be forced to carry a child she doesn’t want or can’t care for, and no child should grow up unwanted because legislators think they have the right to dictate family and medical decisions for women.

Her choice, any time, any reason.

My position is simple…. Its not my body so I don’t have the right to make a claim or decision for anyone else. I wonder what the good folks in Alabama would say about mandatory castration for men who prey on young girls. This has nothing to do with a fetus or embryo, but it has everting to do with a women’s right to make her own decision. Our body and our minds are the only things we truly have, that is ours.

They would say, "Let's try to elect this guy to the US Senate."

Here in the UK I don't think its much of an issue. I just accept that its a choice issue and not something for any of us to tell someone what they can and can't do. I'd certainly rather they did it supported by medical professionals than in a back alley with a coat hanger.

I would have one depending on the situation. I would never tell anyone what to do. I just want that person involved to weigh out all the options and make an informed decision. It's crucial to not do anything rash.

Don't you think as "enough reason" the fact the woman doesn't want to become a mother...then or ever?

Yes of course.

If it is a medical necessity, or rape I have no problem with it. Use birth control, abortion won't be a problem if you do.

Are you aware that pills fails and condoms break?

I didn't think about that when I posted, condoms slip off too. All three are also a reason to abort.

@egt1977 So then why even mention them? If anyone can just say, "Uh, the condom slipped off" and be granted an abortion we can just assume everyone will say they used some prevention method and allow unrestricted access.

I support everyone's right to body autonomy. I support your right to get pierced, tattooed and cosmetic surgery. I also, therefore support the right to choice. On that note, I support Margot Robbie's right to decide what happens to Margot Robbie's uterus and I have as much a right to choose what she does with it as every woman here. This nonsense where women think they have some added right to discuss what some 3rd party does with their body is insane. Body autonomy is something I hold sacred and which most men do and if we start defining this as a body autonomy issue, perhaps there'd be less conflict about it. This is not a women's issue.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.