Agnostic.com

179 4

WHAT'S YOUR POSITION ON ABORTION ?

Yes...No? Do you base your position on religion or science? Does the woman have the right to chose?

DUCHESSA 8 Nov 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

179 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I mind my own business, its your body, you do what you want. just don't use abortion as birth control on a continual basis. Some people should not have kids, Im probably one of them LOL, I have cats, that is enough work for me as it is. Plus I like to be able to go out or on vacations, its much easier to get a cat sitter than a babysitter LOL

Whew! Ive already had my butt clobered for one comment i made. I say the female has the right to abort if theres a unique problem with the unborn child and or her health/life may be compromised. Unique problem - only the doctor and the female know this, i dont. I feel the unborn child has rights to live if there are no complications. Theres other avenues to take if the female can't take care of the born baby.

Don't you think if the woman doesn't want the child...eight then and there there is a problem?
Nothing worse than to force a person into doing something he/she doesn't want to do.

No... the healthy child is not the problem. The child has a right to life. If there was rape, the hospital could of helped the female. If the women doesn't want child eight, then she should of thought about the consequences of her actions. She had a chance to take the pill or see a doctor. Don't put this off on the child. There's adoption agencies she can deliver the baby to.

You got a couple of months to decide on an abortion . Get it done then.

Human beings are an imperfect lot. History has shown that impulse, and bad choices along with teenage raging hormones have resulted in many unwanted pregnancies. This hasn't even touched on predators and human trafficking.

Maybe it's time for pro-choice and pro-life to combine their resources and start helping these women. Give them all the alternatives and if they still want an abortion then give it to them. Women do not what to have to go back to back alley butchers.

Betty Level 8 Nov 19, 2017

Well, I thank you all for the answers...specially because no one of you -as it happened in other sites- insulted me for posting this subject.

Pro-choice 100%. I would imagine where there is a serious relationship then naturally the couple will discuss and listen to each other. Otherwise it’s the woman that should make the decision.

gearl Level 8 Nov 19, 2017

It should not be used as a form of birth control as it is a very serious decision for a woman to make. However, it should be the right of the woman to decide . If the child was to be born with a disease that would prevent a normal life or if the child was conceived by rape or incest I find no reason not to have an abortion. Another condition might be that you would not be able to support the child although you could give it up for adoption. It is always the woman's decision to make!

To give the child for adoption implys nine months of pregnancy and hours of delivery....two events many women don't wish to experience.

@FrankA No, you didn't say that...You implied the doctor has the right to advise her but at no time you mentioned the advise should be limited to his/her duties as a professional. No doctor, friend, relative has the right to advise a woman no / yes to abort based on his /her personal views.

My position on abortion is not based on religion or science just gut intuition. Has anyone ever tried to read forbidden grief? I just could not get through the book, it was like looking through holocaust pictures. At one point I realized this is insanity, this is just plain insanity. The whole thing can really screw with your head, it really can!

Science and yes women should have the right to choose.

Why "science"?

I will never understand why a woman who has decided to abort wastes energy telling her partner she is pregnant. She should abort w/o telling him / anybody her business. Gee, was customary to do so in the past.

If the man gets to choose too it's okay. After all, if she wants it and he doesn't he still has to pay for it. If they planned to have a kid and she changes her mind, not cool.

lerlo Level 8 July 28, 2019

The man doesn't suffer on his body all the changes / problems a woman does during nine months........neither risk his life...so he has not saying about this issue.

it wouldn't be the first man who "agrees" to have protected sex and, then, conveniently, finds out the condom was faulty...and he does so hoping his partner will be happy with becoming a mother..

Third, the biological father has to contribute monetarily

@DUCHESSA it's nice to just announce these proclamations but to have some basis for them would be nice. Let's start with your third one. The biological father has to contribute monetarily but he gets no say as to whether or not it gets born in the first place. Makes perfect sense to you right? The woman that had no idea while having sex that she might have a child right? And you believe that Man created the sexual production requiring women to do it so this is their penance right? So since the man can only get a child if a woman bears one, he has to keep having sex with women until he finds one willing to have a child, is that how it works? I understand you're just spewing the party line. How about we make it fair and if the man doesn't want the child and the woman does she's the one that contributes monetarily?

@lerlo Is the man responsibility to protect himself against getting a woman pregnant. The rest of your post is so full of sarcasm that it would be lowering oneself to answer / comment on your words. Bye.

I agree with the woman's choice. Choosing not to get pregnant is clearly the choice that will not affect the child.

while preventing the pregnancy is the ideal.......a fetus is not a child.

I personally wouldnt., but it should be your chouce what to do with your own body. A married woman still can't even get her tubes tied without husbands ok

Where? In USA? I doubt.

@DUCHESSA in Indiana. When i got my tubes tied my husband had to sign saying it was ok

@pamelab1968 I would have divorced him...get the tubes tied and then marry him again...maybe. 🙂 Is there also a law that ask the women to sign her OK when the guy wants to chop his ducts?

@Alvinsmama Whoever told you so should have faced malpractice.

@pamelab1968 Since when a man has any right over a woman? Since when a man decides how many kids a woman must have?

Changing the word baby to fetus does not change the reality that a human baby is in the womb. This baby either is sacred or is not. If sacred then we kill a sacred human being. If just a bunch of tissue, there is not problem because nothing is sacred.

Dear, place your agenda where it belongs...in the drawer. OK? An embryo / a fetus....is not a baby. period.

The numbers are extremely low for abortions after 21 weeks, so called late abortions are by no means a common procedure in most countries and are usually due to fetal abnormalities or mothers health or mental health. Late abortions are not even a thing, it’s been blown all out of proportion by the Pro-Life crowd who stretch any truth until it’s a scary lie. Kind of like the story that goes around every few years of an aborted fetus that cried for an hour before it finally died and the medical personnel did nothing, just let it lay there crying and suffering until it died. Complete fabrication, it’s be run down and is not true. Doctors that have been questioned about this say it would be impossible for a fetus with immature lungs to cry at all.

I think abortion is a sad thing for any women to go through. Unlike most Pro-Lifers I do not believe that women who get abortions are just sluts who didn’t get on birth control and now want to get rid of it. Even less do I believe that there’s tons of women running around getting 3rd trimester abortions at the drop of a hat. The Pro-Lifers have always played hard and fast with the lies. They come up with the most ridiculous and horrific stories and, like with religion in general, they just believe it, no questions asked. Taking away a women’s right to do what she thinks is best for her body is, and always will be, wrong. It doesn’t matter why, that’s the women’s life and you have no right to the whys, nor do you have the right to force her to carry a fetus if she doesn’t want to. Congress, the majority of which are old white males telling women what to do with their own bodies, these idiots that can barely find their ass with both hands, what could possibly be wrong about that? They want to make sure everyone has a right to buy guns, they don’t give a shit about the environment, they want to have their right to go shoot animals for sport and give guns to teachers to protect their students (on $35,000 a year, sure) and to decide who marries and who can’t, but damn, they don’t want a fetus aborted because that boys and girls is a crime against god.

""I think abortion is a sad thing for any women to go through.""""

Trust me, is not sad at all. When a woman decides to abort she knows exactly what she wants. The bull s...t the pro-lifers tell you about "sadness / guilt" is nothing but a technique they apply to prevent women from aborting. Once I knew a prolifer who was telling young girls "If you abort you will never be able to have a child. The pro-lifers take advantage of people's ignorance.

While i would hope if I impregnated a woman, that she would decide to carry it full term, I have to go with it is a woman's choice.

Since over 90% of abortions are comfort abortions, we aught to realize that we are creating the situation to create the need for this act. There is no question that the child inside the womb is a real person. Infanticide is illegal and this is what abortion really is.

Guess what? Call me infanticide as much as you wish....Abortion is OK. read about Iceland on this issue.

If a woman becomes pregnant at the wrong time / she doesn't want to be a mother / her health is in danger...or the "baby" she carries is not normal and she wants to abort...is her right and privilege. No doctor / husband / boyfriend / friend / relative has any say on her decision.

The vast majority of abortions could be prevented. We actually can stop the sperm and egg coming together. Most of the reasons you have stated are where abortion began. Now the vast majority are just about the comfort of the parent. If human life is sacred, then this is wrong. The only way to get around it is to say that human life is not sacred. Then of course, infanticide is not wrong either.

@noseenobelieve Sure, prevention is the way to go. Makes no sense to risk the woman's life. Now, if the prevention methods fail and the woman doesn't want to be a mother there is nobody on this world that has the right to tell her no to abort..

@noseenobelieve Comfort? Do you have any idea what a grueling experience it is to have to make that decision? Women think about that unborn child for the rest of their lives. Not to mention the pain of the procedure itself. Unless you have a uterus, you have no opinion.

Why don't you preach in your church, entertain the half wits!

@DUCHESSA, @TheoryNumber3 This means that while people appeal to the outliers, convenience abortions are the most common.

@noseenobelieve Remember. What you describe as "convenience abortion" i do as "the right of a woman no to be imposed what she doesn't care / want / like / need...and I am not the only one who thinks this way.

When a woman is forced to deliver the kid she doesn't want.......trust me, the only one suffering is the child and for the rest of his/her life. I know it very well.

I'm against abortion. I think women shouldn't use it as birth control.

And who told you it is used as birth control? Only an idiot would do that.

I actually do know an idiot who has before. But shes an idiot so...::

Again, this is a lie and the numbers of women who use abortion as birth control are very low but way blown out of proportion by Pro-Lifers. Think about it, if a lot of women did get an abortion every time they got pregnant and didn’t bother with birth control there would be women walking around who’ve had 20 or 30 abortions. Abortions take a toll on a women’s body each and every procedure that’s done. Which makes it unlikely that there are just tons of women out there getting abortions once a year. More propaganda by the Lifers. But aside from all that, it’s still none of your business what another women chooses to do with her body. Period.

My body, my business!

@Stressmonster Indeed she is.

I personally don’t approve of abortion so I’m never going to have one.

Never say never!

@zesty Okay, how about impossible?

@OtherPatrick It is easy for a guy to be judgemental.

@zesty How am I being judgemental? I’m not going to stop anyone from having an abortion nor do I believe it should be outlawed. I cannot have one due to being a guy, I would not want a person I was seeing to have one so I do everything I can to prevent it from happening. But, like my original statement, I’m not going to have one.

@OtherPatrick You are right!

Not a fan of it, but even less a fan of forcing a woman to give birth to an unwanted child. Abortions are generally done when there’s not a lot there — and the potential to become a human is not the same as being human. Shoot, we have the technology to clone things now — and although no one is “officially” cloning people, as far as I know, but we could likely do it. That means essentially every cell in my body has the potential to become a person, but we certainly don’t consider them as such. An embryo in the first trimester is not much different.

When it comes to later in a pregnancy, I would certainly try to keep those restricted to the more extreme situations, like risk of the mother’s life. And yes, she takes priority over the fetus that is still a parasite at that point. My nephew and his wife had twins at 27 weeks — barely viable, though doing great three year later. At that stage, I’d rather have a fetus delivered early and given lifesaving care, although I’m not sure how “person” is there at that point — and obviously we will be able to push this back farther and farther with better technology. We will have to make a decision about how far we’re willing to go, and honestly, I think that although I’m fine with people trying to save a child people want at, say, 5 months, I don’t see it as too horrible to sacrifice one at that point, either.

Kodij Level 5 Sep 5, 2018

I am curious about this because people are angry with God because of lives taken but are happy to play God when it comes to abortion. How can we accept that it ok for us to take life but not for a deity?

I see the opposite. The religious right thinks that the unborn should be given every protection imaginable, but would not stoop to help the living. I like to say they believe in the scantily of life from conception up to the moment of birth.

Simply put the deity if he or she is out there refuses to talk to us in a clear and meaningful way. So playing God as you say is our lone purview. Yes I know about the Bible and all of the other holy books. All of which make so little coherent sense they are used for a rainbow of causes and justifications. For me personally playing god I would think is the point right? I mean if this god(God) is out father/mother then as a we adult until we become one? Fun stuff but until God shows up and says here I am then it falls to us wonderfully scary insane apes to do what it will not. Make our own way in a cold and hostile universe.

@Quarm Perhaps the best way to respond is to ask: What have you to offer regarding the big 4 questions: Origin, Morality, Meaning, Destiny. Any coherent belief system must have a clear answer to each of these issues to be worthy of following. If there is something better than God created, is worthy of worship, wrote the Law on our hearts, wants his creation to abide with him, I would be more than willing to study it. So far I have not found anything to supplant: In the beginning was the Word and the Word was God. Everything that was made was made through him.

Also, if one approaches scripture from the frame you have given, then it is easily dismissed. However, if one approaches the Bible from the viewpoint that it holds the truth to the 4 big issues, they will find answers there.

Fuck God!

We are deciding on death or life. Those who accept abortion must accept infanticide. There are a few months and moments between these possible events.

I don't like it but its also not my decision but if i impregnated a woman and she was contemplating having an abortion i think id want a say in that discussion

Yes ... you should be allowed to have a say.

I personally agree, but before you have sex with a woman, know her well enough to ensure she willl consider your feelings.

that would be true providing she had a say in the sex itself. there are states where it is being proposed that a rapist may decide whether his victim may have an abortion. let's assume the following best-case scenario: a man and a woman have had consensual sex, they're still together, he wants her to have the baby and she doesn't want to have it. that's a tie. who casts the deciding vote? well, the man isn't the one who has to be pregnant for nine months and then give birth, possibly with a c-section. traditionally, he isn't the one who stays home with the resulting baby, either, perhaps sacrificing his career, or his peace of mind. he isn't the one who might suffer post-partum depression. so in this tie, who has the more abiding interest in the pregnancy?

g

@PontifexMarximus I agree in cases were either the couple is in a dedicated relationship or if the sex is intended to produce a (surrogacy ect.). As for casual sex I do not think the man should have any say at all or even awareness of the unless the woman allows it. Ideally she would want to tell the man but in reality with all of the possible litigation ect. i understand why a woman may be better served to just have it aborted or raise it by herself as she wishes.

I will never have one.

I never had one either ...

I never had one, but I believe it is my decision and no one has the right to tell me what i can and cannot so with my body.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.