Agnostic.com

13 21

LINK The (Legal) War Against Nonbelievers

In all too many courts, designating nonbelievers to second-class status is not only acceptable, it appears to be part of a broader campaign of demagoguery.

HippieChick58 9 Dec 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Am Is jerk if I don’t really care about all of this?

I have observed this for a while now.

I'm planning to take up a legal fight in the coming months to change my custody of my children. I found among the list of things judges will consider an extensive amount of information on the favor made by judges toward those who practice religion. It shouldn't be surprising, I suppose, because anything you find among the general public can be found in law as well, but still I was surprised that they would be so open about it. I will probably take measures to better hide my identity on this site in the near future because of this.

Lets look at it mechanically. Most Christian people want "freedom of religion" but not "freedom from religion." Their book and organizations tell them that the world is literally going to hell, and the only salvation is God. Someone who truly believes this must also desire everyone else think the same way, whether he/she admits it or not. That is the foundation of the bigotry that practically by definition must be there if you are someone who believes in that religion that strongly.

There are plenty of moderates and plenty of really nice people who have the "live and let live" mentality. But the church doesn't really teach that without giving a little wink on the side, and the fact that it no longer has the same political muscle it did 250 years ago is the only reason we're not all living under its thumb today.

Supporting the Freedom From Religion Foundation is a good way to keep church and state separate. It basically fights those legal battles on a daily basis. They usually win.

Thanks for mentioning FFRF. Been a member for some time now.

Great article, thanks for posting it! The argument that Christians are being disenfranchised in this country is simply laughable, but I suppose given that mentality, if you don't have actual persecution, you have to invent it.

Christians use their religion to control, no different that Muslim Sharia Law. Not Muslim? you deserve to die. Not a believer? You have no rights and deserves to die.
Filling the courts with judges like the ones issuing these rulings has been the goal of many elected officials from the gop for a very long time and has been mostly ignored. That ignorance is coming home to roost.

SCOTUS 101: Prayer in Public Schools

[historynet.com]

At least in Australia they had the sense and decency to legislate that 'Prayers in PUBLIC Schools' was no longer a 'necessity' but an Individual Right.
Praying in Public Schools in Australia became 'phased out' in the mid to late 60's as did Compulsory Public School Scripture Classes, thankfully.
But, sadly, we now have had successive LNP Governments here and, in opinion, a GUTLESS ALP and equally GUTLESS other minor Parties in Opposition, there has been numerous 'pushes' by the LNP to re-instate Religion/s into Public Schools under equally numerous disguises.

Freedom of religion includes freedom FROM religion. There must not be any legal bias in either direction.

Agreed! Said like someone who does understand properly!

That's a well written article. Thanks for posting it.

This is Christian Nationalism. Started by the southern fundamentalist douchbags after the civil rights act was enacted. There are many player forcing this twisted bullshit. Right now, Trump is their very broad paintbrush.

The two federal court decisions he cited seem to me to be obviously unconstitutional. I think this idea that Christianity is under attack goes back to rulings removing prayer from public schools. I often think what these idiots need is an actual attack on Christianity, to serve as a lesson and clamp down on their hyperbole, but... that could also backfire.

The only thing we can really do is fight for upholding state-church separation, so at least some semblance of balance is maintained, despite the fog of misinformation and propaganda from Christians. And on that front, these two federal court decisions are very troubling, and I hope they are being fought.

In the city I live in, I often see Jehovahs' witnesses out in front of the library WITH their cart of BS literature. The city (government pays for the library) I ONLY object to them being allowed to bring their cart up onto public property! I did reach out to FFRF about this. They told me they have encountered this and have NOT been successful at removing the cart! I think FFRF should be able to take a cart of literature there with them on the same days! (right?) FFRF can have people go monopolize their time asking them why we are alive after 1975 etc. Ask about child molestation and the "two witness rule"!

Um, this has been the game, using tax free dollars, especially since the 1950's.

twill Level 7 Dec 25, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:442166
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.