Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What can anybody actually do to me for being an atheist? Fire me? The answer unfortunately is yes. They can and do. In this internet driven environment be careful where you post. This site and other revealing sites are pits of information the religious fundies mine for 'miscreants'. That said, I'm retired and now safe from them. So, take your god and shove it fundies. You ain't welcome here at all.

I am pretty fine with it, even though I agree that it should be the natural state of thinking compared to being actively religious. Living in a pretty conservative place, I usually keep it to myself unless asked directly.

I look at the word "atheist" the same way I look at the words "Christian," "Muslim," "Jewish," etc. The two sides claim certainty in an area where it is impossible to produce empirical evidence to prove one way or the other given our current understanding of nature, and our current level of technology. You can accept, or reject, the existence of some deity, but it is impossible to say with any degree of certainty whether there are deities, or no.

Well given that theism is belief in a god, and I don't believe in a god, and atheist, is belief in no gods, I guess I am an atheist. I do love the "non delusionist" comment though, most apt.

Atheism is a word. If 'you' are hung up on a word then where is the conviction of 'your' beliefs? Thinking 'you' need a 'badge' to identify 'yourself' as Atheist is no different than Jesus Jumpers walking around with crosses.

Ruadh Level 3 Dec 17, 2017

Not the point... many of us are coming from an era when a community would shun anyone claiming to be an atheist, was worse than being a “dirty commie”... noticed a post where it was asked if you are “out of the closet”, so the fear, concern is there. Imagine any politician coming out as atheist... stick a fork in him/her.

Very comfortable. It is accurate.

I am "sweatpants"-comfortable with the word "atheist". 🙂

Not very. It feels negative. I am a humanist.

Joyce Level 2 Dec 18, 2017

I'm comfortable with the word while wishing there were a term that was not anti-something. It would make more sense for the religious to be called anti-reason.

I like nontheist.

More than I am with xtians where as atheist question things rather than throw a shut up or goto hell fit. They are much better company and honestly I prefer quality over quantity.

Secular, agnostic, atheist, non-religious. What do these words really mean? Are we not simply describing the default position that everyone is born into? Why can't we just be who we are? Labels are just burdens and groups are just walls that divide us. Embrace our similarities, but celebrate our differences and the world will be a better place.

Agnostic, Athiest, Abortion... all ring with a similar sound. Seems many/most people, society find the word, the idea aberrant... (intended)... other than that, I’m wearing a pin on my collar.
Abortion was sold by most religions, politicos as the worst possible choice a person (couple) could make... murder, etc.
Atheism, denying the existence of the creator of life.. you’re “murdering” an innocent child/baby. Agnostic, thought of as the same... word association is there... “religion/politics” tell you how evil of all three choices are... (the guilt) haunt you the rest of your life.
... but, of course all these religions and their god love you...

Tomas Level 7 Dec 18, 2017

... I should add, I’m taking old school thinking, the judgemental, the guilt... tough to get past the tag of “atheist”...

Doubt is normal in humans; we can have doubts about a relationship with another person. So, it is normal, healthy behavior to doubt that there is some being/entity behind the creation of our universe. Perhaps, the issue is a need for those who "believe" to condemn those who don't because those who say they believe are "whistling in the dark."

A good English word. Whats wrong with it?

lecoq Level 4 Dec 19, 2017

It's accurate?

I think it helps people understand how many of us there are if we don't skirt around it with agnostic. It's not well understood that a much larger minority in america is secullar because there's naturally the fear with labeling yourself. To say agnostic is true because it can't be known without evidence but it also sounds like we're on the fence. I like to say agnostic atheist because it clears the muddy waters. Agnosticism is a claim to not know atheism a claim to not believe.

Great comment. I agree ,Agnostic is saying if there is s god I believe .the atheist wants proof that a Devine eternal creator exists. Burden of proof on the godly. I have learned through the comments and various videos just how dominant and powerful Christianity in certain parts of America is. Many of my American cutural , political and even comedic heros are Christian. safe zone , accepted by God fearing salt of the earth folk. Faith, in a creator . Sounds simple . Not for we Atheists though. It just sounds silly.

I disagree. Agnosticism is not "not knowing", it's inability to know in general. Atheism is simply denying the existence of god(s). One can be gnostic or agnostic atheist. Those saying "man, idk if there is a god" are just those who don't know, perhaps? But I wouldn't call them agnostics. People tend to throw around the terms loosely without really paying much attention to the meaning, and I think it breeds many issues.

I identify myself as atheist. Unfortunately, many people don't seem to understand what the word means.

Completely comfortable. But, just to give context, I am also an A-fairyist, A-Lock-Ness Monsterist, A-floating tea cup around Mars-ist, and so on. Wasn't it Stephen Fry who said that if people kept coming up with stupid ideas for which there is no evidence then he would keep saying he was a non-believer. If they didn't keep making them up, he wouldn't have to. Amen.

I was having a great debate on line last month with a Muslim ,to the eyebrows chap in the U.K..
It was interesting how he immediately branded me a Christian or Jew, How dear I , a kafir , debate their holy diatribe. Once noticeably triggered and angry he blasphemed Jesus Mary the slut!! Praise Mohammad. Last word of God etc. I broke it that I'm atheist. Honestly it's a concept to horrible in his mind to believe. To conceive of a man with no God was to foreign. He would of been more accepting if I was gay, as long as I was Christian. Atheist monster. Allah won't allow a peaceful afterlife. Not to Atheist scum. I just thought Wow. Then learned he and his extended family made life for non Muslims in their suburb or borough as unpleasant as possible. Those of you left of centre , pro immigration. Legal or not need to pay more attention to Pommy ( not a slur) visitors like Douglas Murray. Katie Hopkins, And bless him Milo. Are accused of racism against a religion. ( embarrassingly stupid) History will ( books ) not media. Show that the much despised " Muslim ban. " although plenty not from the counties Obama first outed as hostile and now on the ban. They don't want to be American # not all .. of course 2 nd 3 rd generation citizens are the exception. But the rest truly won't rest until Islam is as dominant as Christians , if not more. Europes eulogies are being written this century for Sweden and France Germany even London. Don't let America
Be next. Atheists are a oppressed minority . If identity politics ruled our victim points would be high. ????

The looks I get when I tell someone I'm an atheist is indescribable.....but I really hate, when they say, I'll pray for you....

One of my pet peeves is when people think that atheism is a religious belief🙂 Other than that, I have no issues being openly atheist. It is quite an insult in certain circles, but I get amused when evangelicals clasp their pearls when they start speaking to me, so no problem there. In my opinion, the more open we are with the world, they will be forced to accept that atheist is not a dirty word.

Atheists: Come out of the closet! Look at what it has done for the gay community over the past 50 years!

I am super comfortable with the word atheist and I am a proud Atheist. Even my t-shirt says so.
We could call ourselves
"People who don't believe in shit that has not one lick of scientific proof and are not stupid enough to be sheep to an invisible evil master"
But that's to long...

Very comfortable, but I never need to use it. I'm British, and in the UK hardly any of the native white British population, of my parents generation or younger, are believers. Therefore being an atheist is considered the norm. Religion in UK does not form a major part of politics here either. The situation is a little different amongst the immigrant communities. The tend to be more religious, as they bring the beliefs of their homeland with them. For example, many immigrants from Africa are Christians, Pakistani immigrants are usually Muslim,and Indian immigrants are often Hindu.

Nomad Level 6 Dec 21, 2017

Vey comfortable. and by the way the Webster definition is incorrect and religious. Try the oxford one.

A-Theist just means non theist
just like A political (it does not mean you belong to another party)
A-sexual is not a sex position.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.