Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (476 - 500)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like "non-believer". The label "atheist" does seem to come with baggage and people view it as it being "stronger" than what it actually means. Non-believer simply states that my position is contrary to theirs. It's not such a dogmatic label, I feel, more "here is my position".

People at work hold up their crosses (on their necklaces)-and back away..???

@J-MaisOui haha!

Only if you accept the baggage. I don't. It belongs to the believer...LOL

@BrigittaCuadros if we are talking about general people that don't already have a relationship to me, then yes I use the term atheist without caring about the baggage. But with people I have known all my life and are still religious or at least believe in a God, then it can be confronting to come right out and say "I'm an atheist" and the baggage of that term can lead to misunderstandings. I like to take the softly softly approach with those i love and still want in my life 🙂

VERY!

It’s accurate.

sasekg Level 3 June 19, 2018

I'm okay with the term, but then I'm compelled to point out that I'm afootballist and abaseballist, as well.

I don't get invited to many parties.

LOL! Have a party by yourself. Make it a life long habit. I do.

It's about as completely descriptive of me as "white" or "tall" are. That, and it tends to keep the religious away from trying to pull me into their meetings.

Extremely comfortable. Also Comfortable with the title ExJew.

the first ones are for children by living parents who want to bring a little light relief into a celebration of a cold winter children know bu=yt the time they are five or six that their parents are responsible they just join in the game for fun -but religion is as unlike these harmless treats as it possibly could be .

jacpod Level 8 June 26, 2018

I absolutely fine with the term and I am greek; meaning I understand the word in its original form.

I prefer to call myself non theist rather than atheist, as I espouse Humanist beliefs and quite often Atheism is used as a derogatory term by religions who like to portray us as believing in nothing.

I say I don't believe in the supernatural

My inclination is to call my self an Atheist because I think that on balance there is no god.
But logic tells me that although there is no proof for the existence of a god, there is no proof of non-existence either.
So I am comfortable with "Atheist or Agnostic", preferring the latter.

I just simply say i'm not into their trusting, believing and hoping and praying world, just pure and simple. they can call me what they please or put whatever label they want, it does not botheer or have any effect on me, i just smilingly go along my way !!!!

I'd be more comfortable with it if there weren't so many people defining it incorrectly. Nearly every Christian I speak to thinks it means "a person who believes there is no god", and they can't grasp the difference of "lacking belief in a god", no matter how clearly it's explained to them.

So I just avoid the confusion by saying I'm "non-theist" or "secular humanist". It's easy to agree on the definition of those.

I'm fine with it. When some states their faith, then I become uncomfortable.

dokala Level 7 July 20, 2018

Great post. It’s never bothred me, really.

I had to visit the ER last week and found my hospital system doesn't have a box for "Atheist" in their religion list. The closest the guy could find was "Not Affiliated". I was tempted to snatch the clipboard out of his hand and look for myself, except that my leg was in a crapton of pain and I couldn't be bothered.

How about "Nay-Theist"?

Hello!!!! Shouldn't have... it was a religion list you said!!!! Atheism is not a religion. Hello!!!! But hope you feeling way much better.

I don't mind it, it's accurate after all. I get the point about there being no words for other types of non-belief, but then those types of non-belief are commonplace whereas atheism is not.

I'm very comfortable with the term. That defines us from the religious fools out in the world. I can't wait to tell one of door knockers to see the expression on there face. I'm thinking about annoucing on it on Facebook. To see what kind of reaction I will get

Absolutely not! Or non believer. I prefer Freethinker.

It is fine. A word is all but better than the alternatives I guess.
I mean it seems like an unnecessary one to us but then we would allow the religious to come up with more creative words to describe us

It bothers me that I should be defined by the lack of belief in something. I prefer Humanist, as I believe in furthering the positive power of humanity.

I wonder how useful it is to have this label. It only serves to differentiate us from the bulk of people in the world. Since we were usually the ones being burned at the stake, I think it is best to just live an honest and honorable life without giving the proverbial breast a place to drink its claws. Let them fight each other while we live in truth, beauty, and growth.

giving ......the breast .....a place to sink it's claws .

@Cast1es beast a place to sink its claws. I love swipe texting!

I like your take - except its a good frightener word to use on persistent proseletysers.
And I am a pragmatist - whatever works!

jacpod Level 8 July 31, 2018

i love telling people im athiest, anytime i hear god bless you , i mention it

I just ignore it - after all they mean well, even though in my opinion they are wrong, that is my opinion and I don't want to hurt feelings or belittle others . In the end, it doesn't matter. Not to them, nor to me. I always try to be kind to all.

@FlaGoldenGirl that is the right path to take , im just so sick of feeling like a mutant for my beliefs, I lash out from time to time , they will get over it im sure

I don't share your discomfort with the term "Atheist" nor do I believe it in any way concedes any credibility to the insane delusions of theists. For me the prefix 'A-" is like a pie in the face of so-called believers. Yeah! Rub it in bro!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.