Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (401 - 425)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not concerned with labels

Thank you for the question I think it's a good question. Personally I can say that I definitely don't fear the word atheism or atheist however to be an atheist, and I can't believe I'm actually saying this at this point in my life, also requires faith probably the same amount of faith that believing in God requires. Having said that I personally I'm not comfortable with labeling myself atheist. Because neither party has any proof one way or the other which is why it's more accurate to label oneself as agnostic.

I beg to differ; you don't need proof to be an atheist. The word itself means someone who doesn't believe in a god; from American Atheists: Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods. It is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about a person.

I have identified publicly as an athiest for years. (I'm 78.) I'd be more embarrassed to say I believe in fairies or imaginary (white) men in robes controlling us! Is a god possible? Perhaps. But every mainstrean religion is based on a pagan religion from centuries ago - long before there was any scientific study. So, not probable.

I have no problem with using athiest. Being an atheist is quite liberating. I'm no longer tied to bs religion views on the world, sexulity,etc.

An atheist is in a position of faith that there is no god. Just like a theist they have no proof that reality is not intentional

Nope. Not how it works. You can have a position on faith, which would be what you're talking about, but that's one step removed from the plain reading of your statement. If one lacks a belief in something, that is not a faith position. It may be a position of ignorance if that thing is a reality,. In a reality where no one can know, however, not believing is a neutral position. It's not like, say, global warming, where we have proof of that, and not believing is an active position.

@ChrisLAbbey nope
To claim as an atheist that there is no god is to make a claim not based on evidence but in a confidence in you intuition, or a faith in it. Otherwise one would be an agnostic.

An atheist is in a position of faith that there is no god. Just like a theist they have no proof that reality is not intentional

disagree strongly I don't have 'faith ' that there is no god - I don't care to hear about or make up stories about men in the sky (I have no faith) and I feel that the actual word faith is meaningless - Back to the invisible pink unicorn and the flying spaghetti monster- Do I really have to actively disbelieve in a thousand plus, things in order for someone to get that it is of absolutely zilch importance to my life - You can believe that for yourself but don't be putting it onto me! Own your own words they arent everyones truth

Believing a egative is still a belief, a speculation. Concerning more is a belief in one’s own straw man argument. A powerful position is Socrates’ when he said that wisdom is to be aware that knows nothing until one humbly seeks for the truth. In short beware of my-side bias

@Gripster31 ----and you still want to convert me to your 'words!" how about we leave each other alone because as I have said many times - I have no interest in this - Atheist is still fine by me and everybody knows exactly what I mean by it - Play with words to your hearts content - please do but leave me out of this one please 'now' thank you, as you don't listen to anything I am saying.

@Gripster31 he also asserted women have more teeth than men...couldn't be bothered to look, I guess.

It's just a label.

marga Level 7 Mar 25, 2018

In a world where people do believe in gods its good for me to have a word than explains myself as not being one of their club- Atheist is a good word for me it explains myself and has the added advantage of scaring people off the subject with me - If it were a natural state for everyone fine! till then I'll use any words that work to get people out of my face with their 'god bless you's'.

A label tells you what to expect, a way of making sure your in the right place. I don’t like that we need a label but since we do I’m glad we have it.

Amazingly comfortable....

Unfortunately, just with the act of communicating we have to have a word or phrase when the majority would otherwise think we're with them. If it comes to the place where we're majority, then they'll start identifying as theist.

Since I live in a pretty Christian area, I'm still not comfortable actually coming out and calling myself an atheist. If religion comes up in conversation, I just say I was raised Catholic, but am now non religious. Though, since I'm on Facebook, and follow and share things from Atheist pages, those close to me have to be aware.

I find the term means, anti-Christian. I am fine with folks believing whatever they want, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus.......whatever. I except the beliefs of others, and would like others to accept my beliefs.

I don't like the idea that it sounds like a Theist, which we are not.

Good point. The word "atheist" is a tribute to the power and influence of the powers that be. I've studied etymology as a hobby since high school. Throughout much of history if you didn't believe the standard orthodoxy you could have been burned at the stake during the Inquisition for being a "heretic." The derivation of the word? Heretic comes from the Latin word for "other." Just not believing in the standard catechism could doom you to a horrible death by torture and fire. What deplorable arrogance!

As far as I am concerned it does the job most people i know know what it means and I am not one for tinkering about with language - as long as I am understood to a certain level -fine! I hate reading posts about hte nitty gritty of a word Atheist is a pretty well known word it works for me. end of.

I like your entire premise....it is just that "they"( believers) were here first.

I don't mind people knowing I am a athiest I am proud of the fact I am a athiest free from invisible friends

I've changed my mind since previously commenting.
By definition, atheist merely is someone who lacks a belief in any god or gods.
that's me.
I find labels limiting and give people room to box us into their narrow thinking-
however, there's a greater good reason to affirm myself as atheist...
in this political climate where it's being espoused that not being christian is the root of all our evils, it's vital that those who lack a belief in a god or gods unite and refer to ourselves as atheists.
atheists who are good because we choose to be, not because we have to be...
we do, we don't pray.
and on and on...

I am a through and through non - believer, zero fairy tales or magical thinking here,
but
a proudly affirm I am also atheist.

r'amen

Haha, I "came out" about 3 years ago to my family. We were raised strict Catholic. I now have no problem telling anyone how I feel. I am at the age where I am comfortable in my own skin. I don't owe anyone an explanation.

I fond it is teh word that shuts people up who are on my case they back off when I say I am atheist so I use it when I need to - otherwise I am quite happy without a label and knowing that I don't have a god.

I try not limit myself to the binary ....I like to call myself a person with an imagination. My main problem with the religion/theology realm is the following: I just find it all too limiting. When I was younger and had feelings of awe, it was to a tree. (So I could build a whole religion/theology around worshiping a tree.....but then my tree religion would have to ban the bird religion. Getting carried away here).....I will stick with imagination. Especially as we have the Huble telescope sending back images of the multi-universe....mind blowing!!! So what ever is going on just doesn't fit into any religion I know of!

I am fine with it. What I'm not fine is with is when people call it a religion or belief system. I also enjoy explaining to people what it means if they ask, and the occasional look of horror when they realize I'm a godless sodomite.

Words are but words, each of us has a different image of each word in our mind, so who cares what label people wish to play with ?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.