Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Completely comfortable with it. I do occasionally have to explain that I am atheist and not anti-theist as some people struggle to accept that not believing a claim is true is not the same as believing it is false.

I'm fine with "Atheist." But I consider myself "Anti-Theist."

When speaking with others of the same ilk, I refer to myself as a de facto atheist, or non-theist - I think they're pretty close. But "non-believer" suits better when I tangle with religious people. For the reason that being any kind of "atheist" is an affront to them; a strident position stating "Your God does not exist". If I'm pushed to make a statement on whether god exists or not, I will revert to "non-theist".

Long story short: atheist <b>no</b>, non-theist <b>yes</b>.

I consider myself to be a "being" of the Cosmos and could not give a flying fudge what anyone thinks. I have a problem with authority figures anyway, so god is the so-called ultimate in that dept. I do not like people "lording" over me with their fairytales and thinking they are superior because they know the truth and I don't. Never have so many people been bamboozled by so few, ( insert church here ) in the history of humanity than by the god story.

Being an Atheist was an interesting phase. But the time came to move on. I reserve that word for the occasion where my religious perspective is asked for, but no longer do I label myself as atheist. Human, that serves much better.

I use the word atheist slightly differently than most people I've seen. Most people tend to use it as a noun, "I am an Atheist", whereas I use it as an adjective, "I am atheist". This gets away from some of the labeling issues, at least for me.
Here in Australia, and I assume globally, the majority of people claim to hold some form of religious belief. Saying I am atheist is a fairly quick way of saying that I do not hold any such beliefs. If we ever reach a point were humanity is rid of beliefs in deities, the word atheist will have much less relevance.

I identify as an agnostic, though I am perfectly comfortable with others identifying as an atheist. I have had to explain myself a hell of a lot more as an agnostic than as a pagan or an atheist.

I'm comfortable with it. but in some company it can be threatening. As in people will threaten you for being an atheist. I count my blessings for being free to say it. I know it isn't true for everyone and indeed, may not always be true for me.

jmott Level 3 Dec 23, 2017

I don't have a problem with it at all. Of course, I'm retired and don't have to worry about a boss or a job, my kids seem to understand, and I'm well-prepared for anyone who would question this choice or start to proselytize.

very comfortable

I can see the value in religion. It explains the inexplicable. It provides hope in hopeless situations. It provides comfort in mortality. It sets a moral code. Sometimes I envy the religious, because they have nothing to fear in death, and they genuinely believe that, through the power of prayer, they can avoid or get themselves out of bad situations. It must be reassuring to have that hope.

So I do wonder whether people, given no influence in either direction (including scientific explanation) would come to a state of religious belief on their own. Perhaps to explain why the sun rises and sets. Perhaps so that they can pray that their crops don't fail or the volcano doesn't erupt. Perhaps so that they can come to terms with their own approaching death, or the death of someone they care about.

It must have started somewhere. I believe human beings are naturally superstitious, and religion is just an extension of that.

Very comfortable. We (atheists) need to start telling people to normalize it so it's not so taboo.

The reason there has to be a word for us that have no belief in the gods, is that the majority of this country is batshit crazy when it comes to god belief. They want to enact laws from their religion, and deny science and reason because it contradicts their fairy tales. If it was an innocent delusion like a belief in ghosts, there would be no reason to make a stand against it.

I think the escapism is what the story is in aid of and the innocent delusion you mention would take centre stage and become the proud successor of the god story, peopel will always want to escape their reality and the promise of heaven would be perfect for the ghost god ;actually isnt there already a holy ghost

Im nothing. Any time talk of wizards and umber hulks comes up, I clam up. People "believe" all sorts of crazy, subjective stuff and metaphysical unprovables, and Carl Sagan taught me from 10 years old to value facts and the truth.

This is not to say that the core of faith and the works of faith have no value, this position is absurd. Our human cultures have been shaped by these myths for good or ill, they are our past, but they should not dominate the future and wont.

For me, im not a joiner. I don't like labels. Ive atheist hissed at me like "arsonist!" or "abortionist!" people are too fucking crazy about this. I don't like that people wear black shirts with a red a like its a crime. I don't like people that say they are "militant atheists" and there is no militancy. I don't like that atheists get together at atheist church on Sunday and sing, because they need to belong. I don't like atheists that attack people and call them stupid (even kids!) instead of showing them whats up. I sure as hell didnt like that sexist display during "elevatorgate" no matter what happened. I make the mistake of thinking that atheist people are all woke and beyond that sort of thing.

I avoid saying it or using it for these reasons. I avoid being group associated and labelled.

So this!

I wish I felt safe coming out as atheist in my community. It's not so much physical safety as it is job security and keeping a social group- which it seems I've never really had both

I understand that and maybe you can find ways to square that circle. I made a pact with myself a long time ago that I would never lie to myself but would lie to others if necessary to protect my self.

I would prefer being called "atheist" rather than a non-believer or any such wishy washy term. The term atheist is more in your face.

I believe most believers know well that a lot of what they usually say they believe(possibly because their community believes it) is non sense and the very presence of "people who are aware of your nakedness" makes them insecure. I would like my very presence to be felt as something that discourages belief in ridiculous things, something the term "atheist" ensures.

yes its real and it stops most people from answering I do only use it as a last resort though

I just say I’m a humanist. It’s all I know.

I'm happy with Atheist. Prefer Anti-theist though

I agree Atheism is the default position, but I wear it proudly if for no other reason that believers in Santa Claus don't try to dictate political & social issues as theists do. FFR is an important issue & I'll stand behind it any way I can!

Non religious is best for me personally although the term can be very subjective. As a musician. I'm very 'religious' about my music and the performance thereof.

This word has negative connotations and for things to really change the language has to come along and help change it. The "Brights" movement is one such program. It is international and has some important advocates.

It is said no one is born with a religion; one acquires it. Getting religion out of the public sphere is paramount to changing the impact of religion. FFRF is the main warrior to this ends. It is also supported by this site.

I consider myself a Secular Humanist but I will say that I am an Atheist without hesitation.

I think that every act we make every word we speak defines us and that is possible that it is no shock to anyone to admit to being an atheist. I am with you totally about the state of non believing -
I think it might be quite uninteresting because it doesn't really register as a 'doing' verb just passive and uninteresting except if someone is up for a fight to reclaim your soul for you. I suppose I would take issue with 'insanity' - I think people who genuinely believe and are comfortable with that belief and don't proseletyse have found a good way to ensure that they have positive mental health albeit one I wouldn't choose.

I have no response because that's a real thinker and can only compliment saying that that was very well put and I must agree on this point of view 100% and must say there's just an awful amount of stigmata that comes along with that word such as frowns, anger and then there's the Christian thing to do, HATE...

I have no response because that's a real thinker and can only compliment saying that that was very well put and I must agree on this point of view 100% ???? and must say there's just an awful amount of stigmata that come along with that word such as frowns, anger and and then there's the Christian thing to do HATE...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.