Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (451 - 475)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In the UK we still find it odd that one should fear be 'outed' as an atheist - I wear it like a badge. or does religion have a stranglehold on the US?

Parts of USA and especially in small cities and towns, yes religion has a stranglehold on people. When I became adult, I fled to the nearest big city to get away from all the mean spirited, abusive religious people. Southeast part of USA - very bad unless you live in the large cities. Even then, you get aggressive fundies who sometimes make you miserable.

I think belief in the supernatural is still the majority view so I have no problem with being self defined as atheist for now. I do get your point though.

I agree with Sam Harris, we don't have a term for people who don't believe in sasquatch, why do we need a word for people who don't believe in Set?

Unfortunately, I've found many who say they're atheist are really anti-theists and not fun to chill with.

I am ok with it because is more pervasive than santa- who only comes once a year and kids do at least know hes not real quite early on in their life.same goes for the tooth fairy its an adults jokey game to with children and nothing to do with . But is pervasive and can be cultish so I find the word 'atheist 'fine . I rarely have to use it but its there if I am called upon to account for myself and am willing to share my situation. A lot depends upon who is asking.

I'd argue that the state of believeing, of finding an explanation for the natural world, is a fundamental human instinct. Religion began with animism, an attempt to understand natural phenomenon by attributing spirits to features of the environment - including fellow animal species - which evolved into polytheistic mythologies, like those of ancient Greece that we're familiar with, that sought to make the unknown knowable (as in the story of Echo explaining the reverberation of sound to a people unfamiliar with the concept of sound waves), to be co-opted, organized and more narrowly formulated under the control of a politically powerful priest class once the invention of farming had led to permanent settlements. Today we turn to science (itself originally an offshoot of philosphy - the structured process of coming to terms with understanding our existence within the world) - and rapidly advancing technology to gain understanding of what, it turns out, is a mind-bogglingly complex planet, much less universe. The Hubble telescope now provides the insights once given by shaman and, much later, self-serving priesthoods.

If asked, I describe myself as an agnostic atheist, which does help to define my position for some but totally confuses "others".

Athos Level 5 May 19, 2018

Very comfortable.

So you are uncomfortable because of what they think. Perhaps time to be comfortable and have a chance for them to learn if they are right about the label. Atheist is just fine, letting them say we know their gods exist and want to rebel against them is a terrible bit of logic. Arguing over the null hypothesis is a good place to start. Challenging the assertion we inherently want to believe is important to get them communicating honestly.

I have been an atheist since age 13. The word "atheist" is defined as:

"Atheist (noun):

1. a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings." (Dictionary.com)

That's good enough for me.

Suggest you have a good look at the available definitions of words/phrases like atheist, agnostic, agnostic atheist etc, and then go with whatever label you feel currently comfortable. It may change over time, as mine has, but that's no biggie; just a reflection of the developmental nature of life and the living of it. Wikipedia is a good place to start! Good wishes on your journey...

I don't like labeling people, and too often people define themselves based on labels they have either given themselves or been given. When involved in conversation regarding religion and asked about my religious beliefs I generally state that I am not a believer in religious stories or the gods included in the stories. The only time I use the term Atheist is when I want to cut short conversation with someone determined to enlighten me.

ledj Level 4 May 26, 2018

I don't refer to myself as Atheist or Agnostic. I prefer the term Rationalist. My beliefs are rooted in science, which does not make claims that cannot be proven, yet acknowledges that not all the facts are known.

I have considered myself To be 'atheist' for quite a while, but lately have considered the term 'agnostic atheist' to be (for the moment) a closer fit. That is, I don't believe,that god(s) exist, but accept that I can't prove it, so can't claim an evidentiary conclusion.

I was told by an agnostic coworker that I was the most militant atheist he knows. I truly think he was responding to my comfort level with being an atheist and an antitheist. I think when I truly came to understand how sad and silly religion is, it truly cemented my comfort level in my own beliefs. I'm pretty much through being passive when someone else tries to shove their religion on me. I'm me, love me or hate me, I'm still going to be me.

"I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things"
Well that is your error I think.
WE are the minority, the majority were indoctrinated as children and never devote any deep thought to the issue, they just believe.
I was not able to do that. Presented with the issue as a reality as a child I determined that if that were true I needed to know all I could, and that quest revealed the Emperor had no clothes.
80% or more believe, so the "normal" state of affairs for the majority is belief.
As such non belief required a label.
80% of adults do not believe in Santa.

The term doesn't bother me in the slightest because to me it's no different from any of the other labels I use to describe myself (white, straight). If I want to soften it at all 'll say "they're all godless heathens like me." Somehow this seems to make it more palatable to religious co-workers.

It's still a label, but I refer to myself as a non-theist, not an atheist. Purely a personal preference because I never try to convince anyone that there's no god ─ let people believe what they believe ─ though I will explain why I'm a non-believer if asked.

I feel comfortable with non-theist, agnostic, secular, humanist, skeptic. Words don't matter that much. I simply identify as non-religious. I often refer to myself as a Thinker. I try to think ... I give it a good try, lol.

I use godless.

Unindoctrinated ? Wise ? Intelligent ? Untainted ? Was being admitted to a hospital for surgery , and was answering questions before they got started - Do you smoke ? Drink ? Use drugs ? Believe in God ? Have someone to rely on , in case of emergency ? To all of which , I answered no . She then looked at me and asked , well , what do you do when you need help ? What is your crutch ? Told her , I just stand on my own two feet .

I try to avoid labels for myself. I've never thought about representing myself as atheist or non-theist. I do, however, cringe when I find myself calling myself a vegetarian. It means I have slipped into a defining concept for myself. I don't eat meat but this doesn't warrant a descriptor. Vegetarian, atheist, public servant, all these labels detract from who or what we are away from the glare of presenting a social face.

I agree. We don't nd to explain. We are what we are.

I boldly answer that I am an Atheist with Buddhist philosophy and Wiccan holidays 🙂
I was a Wiccan from ages 15 to about 40....really involved in rituals and coven membership/leadership. I did a lot of activism that resulted in the DoD recognizing paganism as a religion and allowing the Pentagram to be on military headstones. This resulted in a LOT of new recognitions by the DoD and bases being opened to all religions and religious meetings.
I had always "dabbled" in Buddhism since I earned a BA in Comparative Religions and attended seminary graduating in 1993. I even ran a marriage chapel/reception hall at a huge touristy spot for a while. I've performed over 3000 weddings and I also do funerals for pagans, atheists, and other non-traditional paths.
I now attend a Buddhist group for meetings, meditation, and chanting...but I still also hang out with the local pagans on their holidays because it's enjoyable and they are good people.
🙂 yes...that's me in the photo from my Wiccan days

I prefer godless heathen.

Atheism does need to be taught. At some point, people will have questions. Certainly, you can turn down the "answers" given by religion, but that still leaves you with questions. Since most questions are about the nature of the natural world, Science has the answers to those questions. When the questions turn to the more philosophical, perhaps there should be a dedicated source for answers. The religious certainly mine those doubts to their cause.

This year I annouced that I am atheist. First time I said it to my Christian's parents I felt like vomitting but at the same time liberating. Now I am breathing. I think I need to say more often that I am an atheist, so it becomes natural .

Belief is a tricky thing. Most us would believe that we are who we are told we were. We all came without labels nor were batteries included. All beings are born without religion, nationality, language nor name. Yet after intense conditioning we react to our name being called out, Some people jump to their feet when they hear the melody of "their" anthem.
The seeds of believing before knowing are implanted in the tender infant brains and later become harder to eradicate.
I don't stand up for an anthem unless someone threatens my physical integrity with a nasty instrument. Even hardened atheists think they have to stand.

"The seeds of believing before knowing are implanted in the tender infant brains and later become harder to eradicate." Indeed and that helps the infants early chances of survival. It is later nurtured to keep the individual manageable with nefarious intention to exploit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.