Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (426 - 450)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Proud atheist practicing tolerance and kindness!

I dislike it, because it only indicates what I'm not. It says nothing about what I am. Same applies to agnostic.

Very

Just tell folks you're a realist and smile.....that's what I do.

Atheist is the accurate term for what I am, but I hate it when people confuse atheists with antitheists. I respect all beliefs and wish that in turn, my own will be respected. I'm always willing to admit I could be wrong (though my beliefs are strong).

It's because we put a lot of weight, culturally, into religion. As well, most people are to some degree religious, so we're the minority.

In the same way, most people have sex, so we have a word for virgins.

Fine.

I am pretty comfortable calling myself an Athiest, it is what I am!

To me "atheist" is like a warm soft 800 thread count pillow filled with downy rationality.

Completely

It's the best description that everyone understands clearly - I love it. I really don't care if it is stigmatized. Besides, you can stigmatize anything, so it's not about the atheist, but the persons perception of it. I am a very proud, life long atheist and really no longer care what others think of that.

It must be a wonderful think to have absolute truth, so much so that no discussion is necessary anymore. But is this not dogmatic just as much as some/most religions are dogmatic???

@Gripster31 No, not dogmatic. It just stops people from proselytizing and let's others know that without faith, I love hearing facts, which are subject to change, while faith is more fixed and based on fantasies in the absence of facts. I find the word 'Atheist' a practical description - unless a better catch word comes along.

@Gripster31 I am lot's of other things - some are life long and some things come and go. I can be a bitch or I can be a hero....get what I mean?

@BrigittaCuadros facts are objective. What is often changing is our understanding of their meaningk

Very

It's just a descriptor, though it does have certain negative connotations in certain circles. I just don't care; I'm very comfortable being known as an atheist. If anyone takes it the wrong way, I know it's only because they're ignorant, and it doesn't really bother me. Maybe if I had personal acquaintances who would take offense, I'd care more.

Not too comfortable simply because it elicits a negative reaction from people.. That's why I call myself an agnostic because it is more socially acceptable. Also, I figure if there really is a God and I end up having a judgment day, then I can always say to him/her "Well, I never said I didn't believe in you." So saying I'm an agnostic instead of an atheist is a way of hedging my bet. LOL

Use it only as an adjective and avoid the budding orthodoxies. 🙂

I suppose it's a bit like Afireman or Amountaineer or Adoctor. Because I'm all of them too.

I am a doctor but I don’t demand everyone define themselves as adoctoral. I guess that was your point. To be defined by what you are not is a little ridiculous.

A rose by any other name
would smell just like an atheist

I'm actually agnostic, but it's still a good point.

I don't usually mention my being agnostic, or even think about it, and if some expat Christian starts preaching to me, I quickly distance myself from them. My friends here in Thailand are mostly Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and the Europeans are mostly happily heathen.

I love it. The religous have a problem with the word not me.

I am ok with it, but use strong Agnostic most the time.If that confuses them than I give them my Dawkins Scale number and tell them to look it up.

Perfectly OK with the term.

Perfectly content being an atheist. I have failed to believe in so many different gods so far. The next one invented will be just as unbelievable as the previous lot. Of course, many people think that Baal is not being given a fair chance.

Perfectly content being an atheist. I have failed to believe in so many different gods so far. The next one invented will be just as unbelievable as the previous lot. Of course, many people think that Baal is not being given a fair chance.

Who cares about labels? Why does anyone worry about how others define them? If I were to label myself I say that I am a non-theist - separates me from the a@@hats at the various atheist groups that exist. That being said I'm not aware of ever being labeled because I don't talk about it - becoming a "non-believer" wasn't the most important decision that I ever had to make. It doesn't define me and so I see no reason to discuss it or worry about how others feel about it.

I don't really like being labeled. In this case though, I agree with how you feel about conceding to their insanity when I label myself as an atheist. I prefer to just call myself a non-delusional sane person. I try to avoid talking to religious folks if I can help it. Unfortunately, that tends to build a fairly lonely life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.