Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (526 - 550)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm very comfortable with the word, but tend to use the entire phrase "I'm not really religious" when meeting new people.

My granny used ot say I odnt care what they call me as long as it s "not too late for my dinner" she was funny I am pretty sure she never ahd a god as she never mentioned one - I never had one either as no one introduced me to one.

The word "atheist" fits me like a favorite pair of jeans that are washed and broken in and feel soft and comfy against my skin and make my ass look great.

Never thought in a million years I would ever be an atheist... Once I realized I no longer believed I was in shock and it took me 3 months before I could get the words "I'm an atheist" to come out of my mouth... Now I am a proud atheist and never happier.

My mom (of all people) told me that I come off as "harsh" when telling people that I am an Atheist. She suggested that I tell people that I am "spiritual" instead. That bothers me as the religious right loves to waive religion everywhere.

I don't go out advertising that I am Atheist... And there might be certain settings where I avoid this conversation entirely. (I work in sales so I need to be careful.)

But I admit to a deep satisfaction at times watching people's reaction to my response that I am an Atheist... Or that I am not a Christian.

I sm very happy with athiest

I'm comfortable with it. I only really use it when the topic of religion comes up.
That's one of the big differences between theist and atheist; no real impact on your life.

Privately, I consider myself a natural person. I don't care what arguments the apologists resort to; believing in cherry-picked, self-serving supernatural forces without evidence is not healthy.

I prefer "strong atheist". I believe there can't possibly be a God that created such a screwy world. Intelligent design, my ass. I'm a retired biology teacher. Would you create a world with over 30% of all life parasites?

I don't really like call myself atheist but it's the closest word we can describe ourselves.

I wish it were illegal to teach religion until after a person receives a good education in the fundamentals of science and philosophy, and has sufficiently studied the history of his or her civilization and society. Of course, such a mandate would render the idea of deities, and therefore religions, utterly ridiculous, relegating them to the realm of pure fantasy.

Not entirely sure

You're right, should just be a normal thing.

I do not call myself Atheist, I do not call myself believer, it is hard to believe what I cannot see, yet I HOPE some day to see people that have gone before me

A friend and I were just talking about this. A new neighbor mentioned she was Episcopalian. I did not respond with "I am Agnostic" why the fear of admitting that was something I thought about. I guess I feel judged, like "oh she must be a BAD person" Or even being shunned by my neighbors. It should not be this way, they are not ashamed to tell me they believe in a fairy tale.

I like it. It’s clear and concise. Used correctly, it can save a lot of time having useless conversations, or open the door to some really interesting ones.

I agree for the reasons you stated. Stating what you believe is enough without having to state what you don't believe in.

I have no problem being called an atheist but I don’t talk about my lack of religous beliefs around my religous friends.

Extremely, I have no qualms with what I am.

I am very proud Atheist and have no problem rubbing it on religious nuts faces

Mostly apathetic.

I don't consider myself an 'atheist' but if there were no theists, there would be no atheists.

Remember that the term "atheist" was coined by believers to label those who did not believe in their god(s).

It’s not a club; it’s just a descriptive label.

Yes I get where you are coming from - atheist is the Not-A part of the dichotomy in the same way as all other Not-As are subordinate to the A. Plenty of good academic articles on this one e.g. Nancy Jay etc..

Most non-belief in God terms are constructed by the same dominant cultural as has existed for several 1000s of years . Up to us to change it . I sometimes go for anti-theist as I believe religion and more specifically it's institutional, political and cultural powerbase - the church - is damaging to society as a whole. Have to be careful who you say this to of course - i.e.not your very religious boss

An agnostic is not an athiest. Two different animals. Called myself agnostic till I looked it up . Turns out I'm a misotheist. (look that up). I dont' even attempt to explain it to my deeply religious relatives. I love them, but not "the great I am".

I dislike the term "atheist" because it is not coupled with the term "theist" Non-atheists usually get to go around being termed "normal" At least that is how I see it. Most of the time it does not come up in my conversations.

Is there a better word on offer?

As much as I like and respect Richard Dawkins' works, I don't like the term "Brights". It's just too damn smug and self-congratulatory. I've known bright Christians and Muslims and idiotic Atheists.

Let's just stick with "atheist" for now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.