Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (476 - 500)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very comfortable.

So you are uncomfortable because of what they think. Perhaps time to be comfortable and have a chance for them to learn if they are right about the label. Atheist is just fine, letting them say we know their gods exist and want to rebel against them is a terrible bit of logic. Arguing over the null hypothesis is a good place to start. Challenging the assertion we inherently want to believe is important to get them communicating honestly.

I have been an atheist since age 13. The word "atheist" is defined as:

"Atheist (noun):

1. a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings." (Dictionary.com)

That's good enough for me.

Suggest you have a good look at the available definitions of words/phrases like atheist, agnostic, agnostic atheist etc, and then go with whatever label you feel currently comfortable. It may change over time, as mine has, but that's no biggie; just a reflection of the developmental nature of life and the living of it. Wikipedia is a good place to start! Good wishes on your journey...

I don't like labeling people, and too often people define themselves based on labels they have either given themselves or been given. When involved in conversation regarding religion and asked about my religious beliefs I generally state that I am not a believer in religious stories or the gods included in the stories. The only time I use the term Atheist is when I want to cut short conversation with someone determined to enlighten me.

ledj Level 4 May 26, 2018

I don't refer to myself as Atheist or Agnostic. I prefer the term Rationalist. My beliefs are rooted in science, which does not make claims that cannot be proven, yet acknowledges that not all the facts are known.

I have considered myself To be 'atheist' for quite a while, but lately have considered the term 'agnostic atheist' to be (for the moment) a closer fit. That is, I don't believe,that god(s) exist, but accept that I can't prove it, so can't claim an evidentiary conclusion.

"I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things"
Well that is your error I think.
WE are the minority, the majority were indoctrinated as children and never devote any deep thought to the issue, they just believe.
I was not able to do that. Presented with the issue as a reality as a child I determined that if that were true I needed to know all I could, and that quest revealed the Emperor had no clothes.
80% or more believe, so the "normal" state of affairs for the majority is belief.
As such non belief required a label.
80% of adults do not believe in Santa.

The term doesn't bother me in the slightest because to me it's no different from any of the other labels I use to describe myself (white, straight). If I want to soften it at all 'll say "they're all godless heathens like me." Somehow this seems to make it more palatable to religious co-workers.

I use godless.

Unindoctrinated ? Wise ? Intelligent ? Untainted ? Was being admitted to a hospital for surgery , and was answering questions before they got started - Do you smoke ? Drink ? Use drugs ? Believe in God ? Have someone to rely on , in case of emergency ? To all of which , I answered no . She then looked at me and asked , well , what do you do when you need help ? What is your crutch ? Told her , I just stand on my own two feet .

I boldly answer that I am an Atheist with Buddhist philosophy and Wiccan holidays 🙂
I was a Wiccan from ages 15 to about 40....really involved in rituals and coven membership/leadership. I did a lot of activism that resulted in the DoD recognizing paganism as a religion and allowing the Pentagram to be on military headstones. This resulted in a LOT of new recognitions by the DoD and bases being opened to all religions and religious meetings.
I had always "dabbled" in Buddhism since I earned a BA in Comparative Religions and attended seminary graduating in 1993. I even ran a marriage chapel/reception hall at a huge touristy spot for a while. I've performed over 3000 weddings and I also do funerals for pagans, atheists, and other non-traditional paths.
I now attend a Buddhist group for meetings, meditation, and chanting...but I still also hang out with the local pagans on their holidays because it's enjoyable and they are good people.
🙂 yes...that's me in the photo from my Wiccan days

Atheism does need to be taught. At some point, people will have questions. Certainly, you can turn down the "answers" given by religion, but that still leaves you with questions. Since most questions are about the nature of the natural world, Science has the answers to those questions. When the questions turn to the more philosophical, perhaps there should be a dedicated source for answers. The religious certainly mine those doubts to their cause.

This year I annouced that I am atheist. First time I said it to my Christian's parents I felt like vomitting but at the same time liberating. Now I am breathing. I think I need to say more often that I am an atheist, so it becomes natural .

VERY!

It’s accurate.

sasekg Level 3 June 19, 2018

It's about as completely descriptive of me as "white" or "tall" are. That, and it tends to keep the religious away from trying to pull me into their meetings.

Extremely comfortable. Also Comfortable with the title ExJew.

the first ones are for children by living parents who want to bring a little light relief into a celebration of a cold winter children know bu=yt the time they are five or six that their parents are responsible they just join in the game for fun -but religion is as unlike these harmless treats as it possibly could be .

jacpod Level 8 June 26, 2018

I absolutely fine with the term and I am greek; meaning I understand the word in its original form.

I prefer to call myself non theist rather than atheist, as I espouse Humanist beliefs and quite often Atheism is used as a derogatory term by religions who like to portray us as believing in nothing.

I say I don't believe in the supernatural

My inclination is to call my self an Atheist because I think that on balance there is no god.
But logic tells me that although there is no proof for the existence of a god, there is no proof of non-existence either.
So I am comfortable with "Atheist or Agnostic", preferring the latter.

I just simply say i'm not into their trusting, believing and hoping and praying world, just pure and simple. they can call me what they please or put whatever label they want, it does not botheer or have any effect on me, i just smilingly go along my way !!!!

I'd be more comfortable with it if there weren't so many people defining it incorrectly. Nearly every Christian I speak to thinks it means "a person who believes there is no god", and they can't grasp the difference of "lacking belief in a god", no matter how clearly it's explained to them.

So I just avoid the confusion by saying I'm "non-theist" or "secular humanist". It's easy to agree on the definition of those.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.