Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I suppose it's a bit like Afireman or Amountaineer or Adoctor. Because I'm all of them too.

I am a doctor but I don’t demand everyone define themselves as adoctoral. I guess that was your point. To be defined by what you are not is a little ridiculous.

I wonder how useful it is to have this label. It only serves to differentiate us from the bulk of people in the world. Since we were usually the ones being burned at the stake, I think it is best to just live an honest and honorable life without giving the proverbial breast a place to drink its claws. Let them fight each other while we live in truth, beauty, and growth.

giving ......the breast .....a place to sink it's claws .

@Cast1es beast a place to sink its claws. I love swipe texting!

i love telling people im athiest, anytime i hear god bless you , i mention it

I just ignore it - after all they mean well, even though in my opinion they are wrong, that is my opinion and I don't want to hurt feelings or belittle others . In the end, it doesn't matter. Not to them, nor to me. I always try to be kind to all.

@FlaGoldenGirl that is the right path to take , im just so sick of feeling like a mutant for my beliefs, I lash out from time to time , they will get over it im sure

Have nothing against the word but the definition used for the word by those who believe is wrong. There is no way to prove the non-existence of a god or for that matter the existence of a god. I call myself an Atheist because I have seen no evidence of any god. I am 99.999999% sure that no gods exist. Should that 0.000001% prove to be true I would have to ask god why he/she/it didn't provide evidence to base a belief on.

Very well stated. Atheism isn't God doesn't exist, it's I see no rational reason to believe on does exist.

I use it all of the time. I'm a proud Atheist. I also have a necklace and T-Shirt that I wear on the weekends so not to offend my co workers...LOL

I love it you have a necklace. Does it have a big curling "A" like the @ sign but capitalized?

I just don't believe but if other people do I don't knock them their choice

I feel sorry for them, because they have been brainwash and that makes them stupid.

I don't believe in absolutes.

I agree with that aspect . . . but with a little twist - a litlle twist of lemon in this absolutely clear spirit that I hold in hand - absolutely crisp and refreshing. Let's drink to that!

I really haven't spent much time on it. I have my own self labels that I like. What others think of my using aethiest to identify myself doesn't concern me.

SamL Level 7 Oct 17, 2017

I agree. The important thing is you believe in what you believe your self to be, labels or no labels.

Just because we are not believe the lies about religions I do not think that should be labelled any name However since people call us Atheists, I call my self also, I am an Athiest and I am proud.

tonia Level 5 Oct 17, 2017

I agree. The important thing is you believe in what you believe your self to be, labels or no labels.

you raise an interesting point, but I really do not care one way or the other

I have never believed in Gods since childhood and have always been firm and comfortable with the term Atheist and referring to myself as such . Are you uncomfortable because maybe you still have some belief that their is a God?

Roni Level 2 Oct 18, 2017

Just keep believing in yourself and be comfortable with what you've tagged yourself to be.

I only use the word atheist around other atheist friends who know what it means and doesn't mean. To most of mainstream society however, that term has been poisoned almost to the level of "nazi". People have a knee jerk negative reaction and immediately assume terrible connotations. It's better to describe oneself as a "non-believer" or "not religious" - at least at first.

I totally get that, and I agree it does have a stigma attached to it. I look at that as an opportunity to have a conversation, and to educate. but I also grew up around hardcore catholics, my aunts and uncles went to catholic school, so I used to be much more shy about it. but I also agree that non-believer and not religious can be just as effective, and mean the same thing 🙂

That is a really interesting perspective. I think that people have been brainwashed from birth to believe the ridiculous to be credible, and I think that virtually everything in our society (particularly in places like the US) has been built on that myth. It makes sense to me that we carry legacy terminology with us.

I don't think people are brainwashed, I think people are emotionally vulnerable and part of that makes people able to accept all kinds of nonsense to fill in the gaps of those vulnerability because it's easier, not to say that religious folk are weaker, allot of people just don't have the time to sit around and ponder the nature of reality because they need to put food on the table, they need to keep the lights on, and they need to take care of their family. I really cannot blame religious people for being religious most of the time.

when anyone says merry xmas to me i want to puke. oh well let them celebrate their silly fairy in the sky.

can be construed to mean " here's to 3 public holidays and the winter solstice"

I don't think I full understand it. I understand theist is belief in the existence of a god or gods. So why slap an a on the start and have that meaning be the opposite? Is this an English word? Who made it...We need to make a better one.

The "a" is from the Greek word "non" and it means that you are a nontheist.

Frankly, I really don't like the term. "A-theist" simply declares 'what you're not'.

It's like someone asking you on the phone, "What color is your hair?",
and you answer with, "I'm not a blonde."

On the other end of the line you hear...
"Ummmm... okay... Well, I wasn't asking what you're 'not'... I was asking what you 'are'.
Okay, you're just too weird. Good bye." (-click-)

I think that not discussing it with religious people is easier. I'm really not into arguing and for the most part I don't care what they believe as long as they don't impose on me.

I am comfortable with the word, but so many people misunderstand what atheism is. I'm agnostic, but people think I'm atheist when I talk about my agnosticism because it does entail components of atheism. Also, theists think that atheists hate god(s) and so take offense, when the truth is that one cannot hate something that one feel does not exist.

I am neither comfortable or uncomfortable with the word "atheist" because it doesn't apply to me. Compared to the history of what we know of the current universe, humans created all their gods- and it was such a short time ago. It just doesn't interest me.

I wear it proudly. Don't care what anyone else thinks, and can't believe the lengths that some of the 'christians' will go to to try to convince me otherwise, to the point that they argue, denying that I'm NOT a christian.

If you were a single Mom who needed a job as I was a few decades ago, you'd pretend as did I.

It's scary to me because I live in Texas. I've had to pretend all my life to get by here with people in general. If most of my neighbors knew, I think my house would at least be egged. I have to kind of feel people out before I can say the truth. So I belong to a couple of atheist meetups where everyone is a non believer.

Pretending seems like a very reasonable strategy if you live in a place like Texas, which I have done in the past. I lived in El Paso some years ago. With their Sunday blue laws and their penchant for violence, I can empathize with you.

I don't see it as an issue. If anything it at least gives us a word to search if we want to find like minded people. Easier to search 'atheist groups' than 'people who don't believe in god groups'

That was good! Funny

I am very comfortable with the word "Atheist". I have been one for most of my life and am almost 70 now. I have the right to think what I choose and don't intend to hide or shrink from my beliefs. If someone doesn't like it, they need to leave me alone. I have lost what I thought were friends over my beliefs but would rather that then continually giving away pieces of me to keep those people around. I tell people who harrass me about it that I intend to get cremated since I'll probably have to get used to the "heat"! It throws them off guard and shuts them up.

I have to agree with you on that. I am 65 and have been an Atheist for 58 of those years. So it's all I know. I do not know where you are from, but I grew up in southern Arkansas, and it's a LOT better now , than it was back in the 60's and 70's!

To me, atheism does not really make sense - because it requires an absolute certainty that no God exists. I don't claim to know that with absolute certainty - we don't know where the Universe and everything in it came from, how it was created, etc.. so I think that "the jury is still out" on whether there is actually a "supreme being" of some sort who might have created everything. That's why I'm an agnostic- I don't claim to know.

The fact that you can’t absolutely prove something doesn’t give it grounds for existence. You can’t prove that there isn’t a population of super intelligent squirrels living on one asteroid in the Kieber belt but I think we can all rationalize that they aren’t there.

It has taken me a while. I never liked Madeline Murray O'Hair. She seemed hateful. I still don't think I would feel comfortable wearing a T-shirt extolling Atheism. It may be because I detest any form of proselyting..

hey look. When you come to a reckoning you come to a r e c think o n i n g.

I use it for political reasons ,and I use it because I get tired of explaining Agnostic to people that obviously do not want to hear it.

I agree with that -- I feel like it's a bit presumptuous to declare there's no god, but I oppose the employment of god or belief in it in public policy, so I identify politically as atheist. And also the explaining thing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.