Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (501 - 525)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm fine with it. When some states their faith, then I become uncomfortable.

dokala Level 7 July 20, 2018

Great post. It’s never bothred me, really.

I don't mind it, it's accurate after all. I get the point about there being no words for other types of non-belief, but then those types of non-belief are commonplace whereas atheism is not.

I'm very comfortable with the term. That defines us from the religious fools out in the world. I can't wait to tell one of door knockers to see the expression on there face. I'm thinking about annoucing on it on Facebook. To see what kind of reaction I will get

Absolutely not! Or non believer. I prefer Freethinker.

It is fine. A word is all but better than the alternatives I guess.
I mean it seems like an unnecessary one to us but then we would allow the religious to come up with more creative words to describe us

It bothers me that I should be defined by the lack of belief in something. I prefer Humanist, as I believe in furthering the positive power of humanity.

I like your take - except its a good frightener word to use on persistent proseletysers.
And I am a pragmatist - whatever works!

jacpod Level 8 July 31, 2018

I don't share your discomfort with the term "Atheist" nor do I believe it in any way concedes any credibility to the insane delusions of theists. For me the prefix 'A-" is like a pie in the face of so-called believers. Yeah! Rub it in bro!

I usually refer to myself as a realist, believing in that which is real.

I think you're right, especially as religionists have consistently failed to grasp the meaning anyway.

A label of sort is needed as we are the exception, at least in the US where I am. I am disappointed that instead of sparking questions it usually gets contempt.

I prefer the term rationalist, though I feel like I am taking the easy way out if I use it.

Just tell them your an Asatanist, it is both true and will confuse many.

I would not choose the label for myself. But it reflects our cultural indoctrination. Like belief in a cosmic spectator magic sky daddy is the default. It is a scathing critique of absurd social mores.

Seriously comfortable. I don't mind who knows this about me because something I don't do is of no importance to me whatever. We have a rather cockney saying- "Leave it Ah't Mate" (meaning shut up!, not interested !)

I do resent people who think they can talk me in or out of something at their will and in that situation I don't mind how rude I seem to anybody as long as I get them to stop bothering me.

Proud of it .

I am 100% comfortable with calling myself an Atheist.

Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

It took me awhile. I spent a long time calling myself, "Spiritual but not Religious", then "Agnostic", finally the importance of evidence was able to make me comfortable saying "Atheist".

Logically, you may be right. But to paraphrase a quote from Star Trek, "whoever accused of the humanity of being logical?" 🙂 I think historically that the majority of humanity has held religious beliefs of some sort, and continues to do so. So, I am perfectly happy with separating myself from the majority with the label "atheist." One of my favorite theist writer is Reza Aslan, and I enjoy reading his books (and many would say that his books are not exactly "scholarly" and they are probably right, but still very entertaining), and he makes a point that the state of belief as opposed to the state of non-believing has been, and is, the norm. I agree that that has historically been the norm. I would of course argue that it shouldn't be. But the fact is that it is.

Good point. It's like calling tea - unsweet tea. A comic made the joke that you can't unsweeten something. Why don't we call it un-lemon tea, un-iced tea, un-arsenic tea?

I am an equal-opportunity atheist. my atheism certainly includes the tooth fairy and santa claus. i'm not worried about it 🙂)

g

My usual response if someone is that i prefer be called "Tim." If they keep pushing a label on me I'll start spouting off about the difference between atheism and LaVeyan Satanism and luciferianism until they run away.

TimD Level 3 Sep 2, 2018

OK. The way I hear it "a" means without. I am aclausist. I am also afairyist. OK, let's go the whole step. I'm also aeasterbunnnyist.
I have no problem with the atheist word except for the eating children part. I like mine with mustard. 🙂

my granny always used to say you can call me anyhting you like "as long as its not, too late for my dinner!

That is the point, believe is a basic human characteristic, we believe in promises, , laws , some science that we do not complete understand. Of course all those stuff we have degrees of certainty and they don't need faith.
But basically any abstract construct needs a belief for it to work and have a function in society.
The word could be skeptic, agnostic.
Atheist is a position of believe anyway, a lot more probable than the theism, but fundamentally a belief.
A neutral position would be agnostic, or to refuse to answer a question that can be only answered with belief.
But if you want a word that is not a negative and that is a concept and not a negative, the word would be skeptic, humanist, naturalist, scientificist, gnosticist (the one that look to know and not to believe).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.