Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Doesn't bother me. It's just a word.

I'm perfectly fine with it.

50 years ago, if not longer, that word would have gotten anyone in a world of trouble. I live in a rather progressive part of the U.S. where being a non-believer is fine. As I see from many of the comments in certain threads, it's unfortunate that so many have to be closeted non-believers because they live in the Bible Belt.

More and more so. I think we need to take back the word as much as we can.

Very comfortable. My father was as well.

I'm not always comfortable with it, in part because it doesn't adequately define me, but also because many "atheist" groups seem to use their forum to aggressively attack religious people, and I don't want to be associated with that mentality.

If you view the word Atheist as an inadequate description of your beliefs or perceive it as a hostile attack against believers you have many other ways of communicating your disbelief when the situation arises. I would use the term non-believer or secularist or just say I don't believe in God because of the lack of evidence. But remember this, I call myself a Democrat, but there are significant aspects of this party I loathe. In many ways, I'm a conservative. I'm not for higher taxes. I'm for fair taxation, but I don't think of other ways to describe my political party. What I do is voice my concerns. If what you see in any group that represents you as being in some way harmful be that voice that says, this should stop, just as you have in this post. Get descriptive with examples and post something about how you feel and ask others what they think.

A history search would be interesting. Was this word first coined with intent of using it as an insult or to label a group in a negative way or did it come about just to have reference word. This is one reason why we do not like the N word because we know it was meant as a put down.

I love the word atheist, take pride in being one. I grew up in and currently live dead center bible belt so religion has spent a lifetime trying to drown me in it. I was in my early 20s before I was able to officially break away from church. Saying, "Yes, I'm an atheist." despite the backlash from those around me makes me realize exactly how strong I am.

I agree with you. It is unfortunate that the word Atheist has such a negative connotation to so many. It really does mean...A theist or the opposite of being a theist, thus why I think it is negative to many. I like to call myself an humanist because as you say non belief in a mystical being in this age is denying reality imho and thus it is the natural order of things. There are so many people in the community I would like to meet and make friends and living where I do it is very hard and I think many give in to Religion for the comfort of having more friends. For me, due to my conviction of the facts, I have to stand by what I know to be factual even if it means just having cyber friends like on here. Still not optimal, maybe that will change one day Tyssina.

I have no problem with it. It is unfortunate that it carries a negative connotation for some, but I'm not to surprised there. If we didn't use a term, others would come up with a negative slur anyway.

I guess I am ok with being different as I have been my whole life. I always liked things that my friends found to be different like music (Classical) art, science of all kinds, history and political theory. I loved all of these from a very young age and my friends could not relate to them.

I am fie with it If someone doesnt like the fact I am an atheist I would politely advise them to go look somewhere else for converstation or whatever they were looking forIf you can't be adult enough to realize ppl have many differences including ideaolical then you are obviosly not adult enough to hang with me..their problem not mine

Any negative connotation the word has for other people should not influence how we as atheists/antitheists feel towards it. It's a benign word.

I have considered myself to be athesist for past 20 odd years. Earnestly for the last 11 years fighting and debating theists who would attempt to make us fear an unreal God. Recently I have described myself as an agnostic atheist. That does not mean I have gone soft. If a God appeared in front of me (extremely unlikely) then I would have to believe. However, I don't believe as there is no good reason to believe so..there is no credible evidence. As for the term Atheist itself I like to think I am a freethinker, but I do read philosophy and would recommend Dennet and Harris whose ideas have influenced me. Does that make me a freethinker?.

I can understand this perspective. However, religion is important to a lot of people and the label exists as a consequence of this. I don't take it personally. People are raised with a certain way of thinking and label people outside of that thinking as a result.

For me, it is just a label defining a person who don't believed in supernatual beings. Fine with me.

Natural, clean, proud

Completely!

As comfortable as saying the sky is blue. Not kind of blue. It is what it is and that is what I am as much as I am a non stamp collector.

Atheist defines the lack of religious belief, that is all. I am just a much an atheist as I am a photographer, husband, archer, film-goer, book reader, tea drinker, father, uncle etc. Not one of those labels defines me.

It's sad that we need a label. But It's a common trait among us, so a word is necessary, and "atheist" is about as accurate and impartial as possible. So, yes, I am very comfortable with it.

I don't see why the word should make one uncomfortable. It's a word that describes a perfectly respectable point of view.

I suppose that discomfort with some words is situational. If I found myself surrounded by armed, and angry, Christian extremists I don't think I'd be comfortable peppering my conversation with the word "atheist".

Atheist is the term that I used to describe myself. That being said, I don't throw the word around casually. The word comes with so much baggage I don't typically use it unless I need to.

Humanity is divided into Theists and Non-theists, taking Theist to mean one who believes there exists one or more supernatural entities with the power to influence events in the physical world.
Non-theists are divided between those who reject the Theist position as illogical, usually calling themselves Atheists or Rationalists, and those who accept that you cannot prove a negative, and so prefer Agnostic or Humanist to describe their position vis-a-vis Theism.
For my part, I do not accept that a Non-theist has to prove anything, the Theist is the one making the extraordinary claim for which one piece of verifiable evidence has yet to be supplied. I therefore regard Atheism as the default null hypothesis to be accepted until disproved.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.