Agnostic.com

18 27

LINK If you want to add an extra $71 billion to the economy, start taxing churches : atheism

In the U.S., the tax code only makes religious institutions tax exempt as long as they stay out of politics. If they want a voice in government they should pay to help support that government.

snytiger6 9 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The current state of affairs, says 'dream on'!

Tax the church like any other orginization and have them report like everyone else also!

If it has a chance to be passed, by all means yes. Not gonna happen anytime soon, unfortunately.

It is still paltry punishment for them giving us Trump.

Most are just fronts for groups to hide money. I've been sayitng this for years but the South puts all of its voting proxy and power into these groups.

No taxes for anyone would be fine for me. So would fewer people telling me what I can and can't do. Besides, does the government need taxes? They have greatly outspent what is taxed since the advent of the Federal Reserve System and especially since removing the constraints of gold in the 70's.

With the orange turd in power, fat chance!

They are businesses. Tax them like businesses.

Deb57 Level 8 Feb 18, 2020

I say tax them to death ! I am sick of these bastards buying houses in the neighborhood where I reside in a New York City suburb .They then convert them into churches which in turn devalue the houses in the vicinity which pay about $12 thousand a year in Real estate taxes and these churches pay shit .They also have the audacity to have people living in these bullshit churches .Below is an example.

Tax the Vatican they own more real estate than most banks. Political pulpits gets ya taxed.

@maturin1919 you may be correct. I forget they are a country.

Since they already have the system jury rigged to allow them to influence politics then why would they want to pay taxes? The problems is stupidity and the religious belief that flows from it.

great idea...I'm for taxing them.

Some need to be taxed especially political churches and mega churches with rich pastors

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 18, 2020

Taking money out of the economy via taxes is not adding money to the economy.

If you want to add $71 billion to the economy create $71 billion worth of goods and services.

But if you derive revenue from a previously exempt source, you have funds with which to create the conditions that lead to extra goods and services.

Good luck with that

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 18, 2020

It's simply entertainment with the possibility of some charitable activity. There are plenty of secular nonprofit organizations with similar charitable activities that demonstrate more humanitarian focus. When churches sprawl beyond entertainment, into merchandising, daycare, food service, or other things you can get at a typical mall, those are clearly businesses, deserving of the appropriate taxation.
My brother ran a "paint-ball" ministry, under the umbrella of a local church. He wanted their insurance coverage to limit his own liability. He accepted donations from a sporting goods shop to promote the activity, and advertised for them at the event. I'm not sure how the field was paid for, but all the participants had to sign a hold harmless anyway. The one day I participated, there was a cheap lunch provided, and my brother started "testifying" to desperate thoughts of suicide from a decade prior, and claimed god prevented him from an attempt.
Keep in mind that most of the people in attendance were children, at least 30 children. My Brother was spouting off about consideration of suicide, to children, while they're eating lunch, for the "glory" and "praise". I wish I had recorded it, and photographed the kids' expressions, especially my nephew.
I don't think the afternoon games were quite as fun, like "vacation" after a timeshare sales pitch.

Churches make political statements all the time and the IRS knows it. We have never had an administration that did anything about it because it is a hot potato.

Hot potatos are great when buttered up. .... and what brand of buttering is best? Why, tax exemption of course!

Churches SHOULD NOT BE TAX EXEMPT. Walmart is separate from the government... and they pay taxes (in theory anyway)

Leetx Level 7 Feb 18, 2020

I would like to prove to the government that churches are scams. Maybe that would help to change the tax-free status of churches.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:461257
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.