Agnostic.com

28 8

Did I screw up?

Because of my beliefs, I never celebrated easter. As my kids grew up, I never told my kids why we didnt celebrate easter like all the other families. We did do the traditionsl egg hunts with family or community, but as a family, I treated easter as holiday signifying the start of spring. Kids got gifts to be used in the spring/summer months. Everything from puppies to toy lawn mowers,gardening kits, fishing or camping items. I guess my question is, should have I tied my first day of spring holiday celebration to easter?

Ride_Captain 7 Mar 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, you're good. We always let our kids enjoy the cultural pagan benefits of xtian holidays.

It seems like the pagan traditions are the fun ones anyway 😀

Seems like what you did was just fine.

Uhm, this is a problem why? Sounds good to me. Great in fact.

I don't see anything wrong with it. When my children were younger we had easter egg hunts, easter baskets, and family dinner. We never tied religion to it. It was essentially a celebration of spring without ever necessarily mentioning it. If I am fortunate enough to have grandchildren, and my sons agree I would like to continue on with the same traditions.

Why not? I see nothing wrong with your 'traditions'. Besides, easter was always a pagan holiday celebrating spring anyway.
I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Actually it is a Christian holiday but made to super impose over a pagan one. Yes it borrowed a lot of ideas but changed the direction and base of what they borrowed, or replace it all together. Most religions have done this at some time or another. When they change or add or throw out things they do essentially make a new and different religious celebration. I'm just happy they also gave it a new name.

@AmyLF It doesn't matter. Most christians don't have a clue about the history of their religion, or their "holy" book. It's STILL made-up bullshit. No matter what they try to call it.

@KKGator True, but I don't want to add to the bullshit, that's all.

Why even concern yourself about it as it is history. You can not have a different or better past.

You did fine! We do the egg dying and Do a Basket with chocolates and favorite candies. And we talk about how silly the symbolism is and how it relates to the Jesus story. You know, how Jesus gave a colored egg to each of the disciples at the last supper, and then turned all the rabbits into chocolate? And then there was 6 more weeks of fertility celebration. And an undead 6 foot pink bunny.

Oh hell no..you done goood!

It's both religious and cultural. You can ignore either part.
Easter is held on the first Sunday after the first full moon occurring on or after the vernal equinox. So it sounds like the start of spring is not a bad approximation. Given that it looks like that's the celebration the Council of Nicea were highjacking.

Why not? To you it isnt Easter; the Christian holiday, it's a Spring Sunday celebration!

i agree with everyone else- i wish i received spring gifts! lol

I like your explanation a lot better. 🙂

marga Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

If your kids have never expressed resentment about this, I would say all is well. If they have expressed resentment, then perhaps some discussion is in order, but that still doesn't signify that you screwed up.

Deb57 Level 8 Mar 31, 2018

As an atheist or agnostic - no. Why would you confuse them that way?

Everything you've mentioned goes farther back then the Christian Holiday to the Pagan one, You did just fine.

There are many reasons to celebrate Easter, not just the Christian way. You can still spend "holy" holidays with friends and/or family, around a whole bunch of food. That's what has bonded us Humans together since Homo erectus, food and fire. That's what is nuclear to us.
I occasionally do go to church with family, but I don't sing or recite anymore. I use this particular church as a distribution point for Milkweed and other necessary pollinators items for gardens and restoration projects.
I'd go to the devil himself if it would save the Monarch at this point.

Ask your kids how they feel now?

Umm, no. Are we obligated to teach our kids about all of the holidays in ALL religions? I did not teach mine the Jewish holidays or Muslim ones as I don't know enough about those holidays to teach them. How would teaching easter be any different?

Zster Level 8 Apr 1, 2018

After my experience today, no religion is best taught.
Happy Stupid Easter

Lol... I completely agree.

Obligated, no. I'd think not, but they are out there. The more comparisons you make the more likely they will be to realize the only thing religions do is force people to take sides and then shun everything else, eventually causing a breakdown in society as we see going on right now.
Teaching them is not as hard as all that. There are plenty of books out there that give guidance to those interested in knowing the differences, even at children level. I got a few as part of the homeschooling program I did for my son so that he is aware. He is 22 and doesn't see the point of religion at all now because of it.

I exposed my kids to several and they attended with friends and family. So, they won't be unfamiliar. I just did not delve deep into the various dogmas. I figure they will do their own research. (:

@AmyLF Religion does not belong in the schools. Everyone can be different and you cannot be fair. I think you can give them 5 minute of silence or if they want to pray, they can go to another room. I know if I were a Muslim child no way would I want to get my mat out and do that in front of the others. Religion needs to be taught at home. That lies with the parents, even if they screw you up. If they tell their parents, you could be in real trouble. All it takes is one over the edge zealot.

@Zster I would turn you in.

@BettyColeman I agree with you. I don't think it does either. However if it is I'd rather it be taught as a comparison course. Unfortunately you'd have to make sure there were safeguards put into place to assure the person teaching isn't some far right, religo-nut from any specific religion. That would open a whole new can of worms.

For the record what I said above was more towards a home schooling attitude, not the classroom. Little bit different and open to structural shifts and changes as necessary.

You didn't screw up, you did what you thought was appropriate and your kids didn't miss out. I have chocolate eating daughters, who doesn't, and Easter is about eggs and chocolate not god. They know my beliefs, they know what the Christians do and why so it's all cool.

I did they same thing, I feel I did teach them the real meaning of Easter. I did explain what the Christians believe and why I did not believe that.

marym Level 4 Apr 1, 2018

I don't think its a matter of should have or screwing up. Life is an experience and you decide for yourself how you want to proceed, hopefully with caution and thought to who you might alienate if you act or react too harshly about differences in belief or lack there of.

I've always celebrated whatever the main holiday is but made it more about family instead of worrying about the belief around it. To me it really doesn't matter if I believe the same way or not. It doesn't matter if they wish to even talk about it. I don't have to believe it regardless of what they may say and reserve any backlash for if they decide to demand I follow along. It isn't for me control others thoughts and beliefs or even what they say about it, but I don't take lightly or kindly to someone trying to force it on me.

AmyLF Level 7 Apr 1, 2018

In short no you've done better than plenty of others and if your children are not satisfied in my opinion you've spoilt them so defiantly no need to indulge any further.

Naw. It might have been good, however, to casually mention - at least once- the Christian reason for Easter, then add that the fun egg hunts and candy parts came from paganism.

I don't think you screwed up. Do you feel the desire to celebrate Ramadan or Yom Kippur or Navaratri or Vesakha? I don't think Christian holy days are any different. I might have talked about religion in general and how some days are secularly established and how others aren't as prevalent in non-religious circles, but if they never asked I don't think there's necessarily any harm in ignoring the specifics.

No you did fine and the kids got a second x-mas.

No. You did what you thought was best as a parent based on the belief system you had.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:47440
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.