Agnostic.com

11 0

Need Help Finding Atheist Home School

I live in Louisiana and have a grandson in the 4th grade that needs to home schooled (he is too intelligent for public and "private" schools around here, because most private schools are religious affiliated), and we're asking for recommendations?

OldHippieAtHeart 6 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All you need is someone with a Master's Degree and you monitor the online work. Its all done on the internet now as they measure the time you spend on each subject. Use the Beard with the MA to sign off on the work and supervise the testing, but you can also take him down to where the tests are being given, usually the local Community College or nearby Uni. They have to take a test for each subject, each semester. I may be over simplifying it, but not by much. I lived in Las Vegas for a time and they have the worst education in the country with only AZ beating them out for dead last. A lot of kids are home schooled there and its not hard.

Nothing specific but check out secular schools that offer correspondent courses with skype.

I cannot tell you how to get in touch with Jerry DeWitt but he is a former pastor in your state who now has a non-religious type "church" for those of community. You might Google how to get in touch with him and I think some of his people would have the right info for you.

We had the same problem with my grandson. We just send him to a religious school and then I deprogram him after. He sits down with his grandad and we have a laugh together at their silly ideas. But he's not allowed to tell any of them that he has this secret knowledge. 😄 We have a great laugh together at their expense

With Catholic Schools you have to worry if he'd ever be alone with a priest. And in LA? Yeah, I'd probably bug him as well. Mic and camera!

@Macanudo that priest would then learn what it's like to be a eunuch, without aneasthetic, but my grandson is too switched on for that

@Cyklone
I'd hope so, lol. But I was talking about her grandson. You didn't say Catholic school and there are others. But when my nephew went to confirmation lessons, I told him the Stop, No! and run and tell an adult and I did so in front of both his parents. They did not stop me or correct me. I told him a couple of other things too, like how a child can incapacitate a grown man with a swift and targeted kick to the nuts so he can't catch him 🙂

@Macanudo way to go. I've taught my grandson the same, as well as how to escape a person's grip. (Pull to the thumb)

[time4learning.com] [freereadingprogram.com],[discoveryk12.com], [xtramath.org], [prodigygame.com], [mobymax.com]

What do you mean 'need help finding an athiest home'? What are you?

This FB forum might have some resources.
[facebook.com]

Good home schooling has the advantage of allowing the child to progress at their own speed. This is especially helpful for a gifted child because they don't get bored. Children need socialization as well. Many locations have organizations that bring home school children together for group activities such as soccer or museum visits. I hope yout grandchild will participate in these opportunities as well. I have a grandchild that was home schooled for religious reasons and she was afraid of her shadow on a public playground which broke my heart.

Khan Academy.

. . . hmm, I wasn't aware that "home schools" taught students other-than their own children.

They've moved past that. When my ex wife tried to sign up with the churchies for the "home school" program, I said that's enough. We aren't signing a vow of belief when that would be a lie.

Do a web search for secular schools in your area.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:486673
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.